The Mac FAQ

Comments

• ScavengerScavenger Posts: 2,664

Ok.. I've set up with best optimization and pixel shading to on... what kind of thing should I look for with these settings?

(and another crash on quit, this time without the killclient line in the log. http://pastebin.com/BHKwHusY ; This was just opening the program, chaning the settings, accepting, and quiting).

Screenshot 2015-09-08 15.42.57.png
    859 x 600 - 66K
  • TotteTotte Posts: 13,525

Pasterbin-Log was removed, but either broken nVidia drivers or hardware problems. Have you tried nVidias drivers for the card and not Apples?

I went looking for NVidia drivers but couldn't find any. In the driver menu just lots of windows and some linux, but no mac options

Hmm.. my pastebin account shows this is still there.. http://pastebin.com/BHKwHusY

edited September 2015

Last crash was in GenX2 (do you have both GenX and GenX2 installed?) nVidia Drivers are here:http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/89536/en-us

Post edited by Totte on

No, just Genx2...and it's freshly reinstalled from another issue you can read alla bout elsewhere:)

as for the nVidia drivers, it says: "This driver update is for Mac Pro 5,1 (2010), Mac Pro 4,1 (2009) and Mac Pro 3,1 (2008) users only. "

I'm none of those, not by year or by model.

edited September 2015

And now constant crashes with Geometry editor, seemingly when I try to just clear the selection. sigh.

http://pastebin.com/LHNSzcXs

This appears to be the same as the previous one, so how do you recognize GenX2 being the problem? I see the crash locations..I see the genx2 driver, I don't see how they connect.

Post edited by Scavenger on

Yes, I've reported that crash a while ago, so it's under "investigatrion" I think.

And, the VideoGlitch problem, I've seen it too, and it's most probably a bug in the nVidia driver with 10.10.5 (I updated to 10.10.5 and latest nVidia driver, and suddenly I got it on my GTX-780, and it is (6 months old so I'm trying to verify by putting an older OS on another disk to verify.

Well for many reasons, some involving the crashes in Daz, but also other little things elsewhere, I'm doing a full drive wipe and clean install of Mavericks.

Is there a way with DIM and Daz Studio to export the various settings like file locations and layouts?

DS Can export userdata (your own content manager data), but apaert from that, nope.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565

I don't know what the file locations on a Mac are, but on Windows the DIM settings are in a plain-text .ini file, including the list of content install locations.  The DS layouts, custom menus, etc. are in plain-text .dsx files.  I don;t know where the DS content directory list is stored on a Mac, but if it doesn't already match what's in DIM there's a sample script in the scripting documentation to transfer them to DIM.

edited September 2015

If you want settings files Mike mentions, they are all in ~/Library/Application Support/DAZ 3D/ and subfolders

Post edited by Totte on
  • Hi everyone,

I installed DAZ Studio on Windows 8.1 running under Bootcamp on a macbook pro. The problem is that as you know the Macbook pro has a retina display and because of that on windows Daz Studio has everything tiny on the user interface. Menus, options, etc. Anyway to fix this?

Windows is my main OS for work so I would like to use it also to run Daz Studio.

Thanks.

Sounds like a Windows question and not a Mac question as it has todo with Windows graphics drivers and display setitings.

• Totte said:

Sounds like a Windows question and not a Mac question as it has todo with Windows graphics drivers and display setitings.

I asked here because its actually Mac Bootcamp Drivers made by apple for Windows and its Mac hardware. I was guessing that perhaps someone else may have a similar setup and its more common to have Mac users running windows than windows users making questions about Mac hardware.

Was it missplaced?

Yeah, you're kinda between the worlds with this question :)

Windows folks likely can't help, and I'm not sure many of the mac folks use bootcamp with Daz.

To my knowledge, you can't change the appearance of the Daz program yourself, like you're asking about, so it might be a more general bootcamp question.

Possibly try the forums at MacRumors.com. Lots of smart mac folks there on a variety of subjects.

Totte said:

If you want settings files Mike mentions, they are all in ~/Library/Application Support/DAZ 3D/ and subfolders

I'm now thinking best to gut through without too much copying since I'm trying to eliminate various bugs that have popped up.

I just stumbled on to something intersting....

Pressing CMD- plus an arrow key changes the active camera.

Cmd-Left -> right Camera

Cmd-Right -> Left Camera

Cmd-Down -> Front Camera.

Cmd-Up -> Back Camera

Are there other camera control buttons like this? To switch to perspective? Or even better, to toggle thru camera? (Or even super better, a way to like assign number pad buttons to different cameras for quick switiching?)

§You can look in the config panels, there are so many key combos in DS and most are user configurable.

Where would I find such a pannel? I can't find anything that shows those key commands, not in any menu, pannel, or the user guide :(

-------------*--------*---------

FTR, the full clean/reimage/reinstall has not stopped the "daz crashes when quit" problem..sigh.

Goto: Window->Workspace->Customize...

Still crashing in OpenGL exit ? Then I guess nVidia driver or HW.

I guess I'm blind.. I had looked all thru that area..found nothing about command keys... AH.. under View Selection!  I was looking under camera.

Sadly, I'm not seeing a way to add custom cameras to that, which would be REALLY useful.. especially when D|S starts becoming sluggish.

--------

I'll grab the log when I next crash... I haven't installed GenX yet, so that eleminates it..

Screenshot 2015-09-25 01.50.09.png
    460 x 172 - 20K

I've seen the QTCORE a few times, I know.. I assume it's Quicktime related, then.

Crashed Thread:  0  Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-threadException Type:  EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)Exception Codes: EXC_I386_GPFLTThread 0 Crashed:: Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread0   QtCore                        	0x0000000104307f27 QObject::connect(QObject const*, char const*, QObject const*, char const*, Qt::ConnectionType) + 4451   libdzcore.dylib               	0x00

QTCore is not QuickTime, QT is TrollTech QT (later bought by Nokia and now I think alone again), same crossplatform libraries Google uses for it's apps any manuy others.

It's the core on which DS is built.

• I think it is Qt rather than QT.

Well, that explains why googling didn't gie me quicktime answers..

So are you saying this crashing is just Trolltech using their tech to troll me? :)

edited September 2015

Well, I concidered that the crashing might be related to the new hard drive I have my library on...but I just loaded the program without the drive mounted, and QT Core crash on quitting.

So I guess it's to the ticket system on this one.

EDIT: As I wrote up the bug report...I decided I should send a full crash report rather than just the snippet I had coppied earlier...and literaly each and every time I loaded the program and quit it to trigger the crash...IT DIDN'T.

sigh..

Post edited by Scavenger on

Which video driver are yiu using? Apple built in or nVidia WebDriver? There seems to be ugliess in the latest nVidia WebDriver for OS X

Only the Apple one.

Unless I misunderstand, THIS: http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/77751/en-us is the one I'd use, and it says  This driver update is for Mac Pro 5,1 (2010), Mac Pro 4,1 (2009) and Mac Pro 3,1 (2008) users only.

As I'm an iMac user, I haven't tried them out.

That's the nVidia one. If you have the nVidia Driver Manager control panel, you can switch to Apple or WebDriver. If you do not use Iray for GPU you won't need the nVidia driver.

That is NOT the CUDA driver, which is what's needed for IRay. http://www.nvidia.com/object/macosx-cuda-7.0.64-driver.html

That's, as called by tonymacx86 (the hub for Hackentoshes) a "alternate graphics drivers for OS X Mavericks 10.9.5."

NVIDA Calls it: Quadro & GeForce Mac OS X Driver Release 334.01.03  http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/77751/en-us It has a message that it is not for my iMac.

There is nothing I have found called "Webdriver". 

Could you point out where I might find that, please.

I have NOT installed the CUDA driver since i did the reimage. I haven't decided if I will or not.