The Mac FAQ

Comments

• inquireinquire Posts: 2,099

robertswww said:

inquire said: Yeah, I did. Sorry it got deleted! A Note about checking the phone number and other personal info also appeared on my Desktop a couple of days ago. Since then, I have been to the Apple site, signed in, made sure I had an https browser, and checked personal info. There was no email from Apple, so I was wondering if this was valid.

@inquire I think this is only for people who signed-up for Apple One (and/or recently purchased a new Apple product) so if you previously did that, then it should be legit.

Here is what Apple says regarding Apple One and your Apple ID:

If you subscribe to Apple One and use a different Apple ID for iCloud
    https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211862

Also, check out this online article for more info about  having One Apple account...

Apple gives its Apple ID website an overhaul
    https://applemagazine.com/apple-gives-its-apple-id-website-an-overhaul/4989

Thanks for the info and links. No, I haven't recently purchased an Apple product nor an Apple One account. But I did recently go into the Apple Store on line and look. 

• robertswwwrobertswww Posts: 771

@inquire Apparently Apple sends out that message fairly often and they probably detected your Mac visiting their online store. Apple just wants to make sure they have a trusted phone number associated with your Apple ID account. Apple can then text you a security code to enter when it detects you are trying to login on a device you haven't used before, or had not logged-in to Apple online sites in a long time.  For example, if I try to login to my AppleID or iCloud.com from my Mac, I will get a text notification on my iPhone asking if I want to "allow" the device, and if I click allow, it will then give me a verification code to enter, since i'm using 2-factor authentication.

If you don't want to click the link in that pop-up message on your Mac, then you should just login directly to your Apple ID account and check your phone number here:

Apple ID:
    https://appleid.apple.com/

Just look in "Sign-in and Security" (on left) and then the "Account Security" section for a list of your trusted devices.
    Look in "Personal Info" (on left) for the "Reachable At" section for your AppleID email address, and there is another section for your phone number.

If you prefer, you can also use a mobile number as your Apple ID (instead of your Apple email address), see this article...

Use your mobile phone number as your Apple ID
    https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207944

A few more helpful links...

Security and your Apple ID
    https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201303

Two-factor authentication for Apple ID
    https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204915

@robertswww: Thanks for all the info and all the links.

• supernoobsupernoob Posts: 153
    edited March 2022

Richard Haseltine said:

How long ar you giving it? Is theer any CPU activity? DS has a lot of clean up to do (depending on what was in the scene) which happens in the background.

Probably around 30+ mins before I give up and force quit.

11 G8/8.1 characters in the scene, no scenery yet.

Haven't checked CPU activity tbh, I'll have a look next time.

Post edited by supernoob on

robertswww said:

supernoob said:

Does anyone else have the issue of Daz Studio refusing to close?

Hit CMD+Q and it sort of closes but it stays in the dock 'not responding', seemingly forever. I hardly ever have to force quit any applications but Daz makes me do it every time.

Daz is up to date, Mac is M1 Max (running Monterey). But it used to be the same on my old 2014 Mac regardless of which OS I was running.

@supernoob Open Utilities-->Activity Monitor before you close Daz Studio, and then check the different activity tabs in Activity Montior to see what effect DS is having on your system resources, before, during, and after closing DS.

A trick that I find helps, is to always go to File-->New in Daz Studio before quitting, as opening a new, blank scene clears out a lot of DS's memory, and it will fully close quicker.

thank you, I'll try that

edited March 2022

Richard Haseltine said:

How long ar you giving it? Is theer any CPU activity? DS has a lot of clean up to do (depending on what was in the scene) which happens in the background.

Just checked...

10 minutes after quitting DS, 101.3% shows on the CPU. Memory usage sitting at 21gb. 'Application Not Responding' is displayed next to Daz.

Another 10 minutes later, CPU is almost identical and memory usage is at 20.5gb

I don't know what the following are but I assume they relate to failed attempts to close the application...
    It reports 60 'hangups', a number that increase by 1 every time it checks (5 second intervals). It also reports more than 14,000,000 'faults'.

Post edited by supernoob on
  • Hi everyone,

I have a quick question to ask folks who have some knowledge and / or experience with Daz3D on new Mac M1. 

I work on a mid-2015 MacBook Pro, with the following specs:

• Processor: 2.5 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7
    • Memory: 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
    • Graphics: AMD Radeon R9 M370X 2 GB

I am considering upgrading to a new 16 inch M1 Macbook Pro. Do you have any advice regarding the specs that would be best for Daz3D? That will be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

MF

MultiverseFantasies said:

Hi everyone,

I have a quick question to ask folks who have some knowledge and / or experience with Daz3D on new Mac M1. 

I work on a mid-2015 MacBook Pro, with the following specs:

• Processor: 2.5 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7
    • Memory: 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
    • Graphics: AMD Radeon R9 M370X 2 GB

I am considering upgrading to a new 16 inch M1 Macbook Pro. Do you have any advice regarding the specs that would be best for Daz3D? That will be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

MF

@MultiverseFantasies On the M1 Macbook Pro, your Daz will render via the CPU and RAM, so get as much RAM as you can afford...
    With the M1 Pro you can get up to 32GB and with the M1 Max you can get up to 64GB
    If you also use your MBP for video editing with Apple ProRes, then the M1 Max has 2 ProRes engines, as the M1 Max chip has double the memory bandwidth of the M1 Pro chip.
    For Daz content storage: I would recommend keeping Daz Studio and Daz Install Manager (DIM) on your internal drive, and then map all your Daz content to an External drive via one of the Thunderbolt 4 (USB-C) ports.
    NOTE: M2 chips will begin shipping in Apple products this year.

• edited March 2022

@robertswww Thank you for your detailed answer!

I heard that M2 Macbook Pros are likely to ship in 2023 (see https://www.macrumors.com/2022/03/20/gurman-macbook-air-delayed-to-second-half-of-2022/), so I might get an M1 Max with 64 GB of RAM.

Post edited by MultiverseFantasies on

I heard that M2 Macbook Pros are likely to ship in 2023 (see https://www.macrumors.com/2022/03/20/gurman-macbook-air-delayed-to-second-half-of-2022/), so I might get an M1 Max with 64 GB of RAM.

That rumor is probably correct as it looks like the computers with M2 chips that may ship this year are the updated Macbook Air (M2), the Mac Mini (with possible M2 and M2 Pro chip options) and the Mac Pro desktop (M2 Ultra?). If you are planning to hang onto your upcoming Macbook Pro for a long time, then the M1 Max with 64GB should serve you well. But, if you won't hold it that long, or plan to upgrade, a M1 Pro with 32GB should suffice. 

robertswww said:

supernoob said:

Does anyone else have the issue of Daz Studio refusing to close?

Hit CMD+Q and it sort of closes but it stays in the dock 'not responding', seemingly forever. I hardly ever have to force quit any applications but Daz makes me do it every time.

Daz is up to date, Mac is M1 Max (running Monterey). But it used to be the same on my old 2014 Mac regardless of which OS I was running.

@supernoob Open Utilities-->Activity Monitor before you close Daz Studio, and then check the different activity tabs in Activity Montior to see what effect DS is having on your system resources, before, during, and after closing DS.

A trick that I find helps, is to always go to File-->New in Daz Studio before quitting, as opening a new, blank scene clears out a lot of DS's memory, and it will fully close quicker.

This tip works very well, Daz shuts down almost instantly if I do this. Takes a while to open that new blank but at least it closes now.

• edited April 2022

robertswww said:

That rumor is probably correct as it looks like the computers with M2 chips that may ship this year are the updated Macbook Air (M2), the Mac Mini (with possible M2 and M2 Pro chip options) and the Mac Pro desktop (M2 Ultra?). If you are planning to hang onto your upcoming Macbook Pro for a long time, then the M1 Max with 64GB should serve you well. But, if you won't hold it that long, or plan to upgrade, a M1 Pro with 32GB should suffice. 

Thanks for this tip!

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on

Any word about how the Mac Studio runs DAZ Studio? It seems that the M1 Ultra combines GPU and CPU. What will that do to rendering in iRay? If I do get the Mac Studio, it would be to run DAZ Studio, so I'd really like more info on that.

• wsterdanwsterdan Posts: 2,339

It doesn't really "combine" GPU and CPU anymore than a regualr M1. It has more of both, and can access more RAM, but it'll stll only be using CPUs for rendering iRay. It'll render using iRay faster than a less-powerful M1, but still nowhere near as fast as a PC with a decent video card.

-- Walt

With all the videos on youtube about how Macs perform and with what applications, I should think someone would focus in on DAZ Studio.

• dzweigeldzweigel Posts: 11
    edited April 2022

I just set up my new Mac|Studio Max with 10-core CPU, and 32-core GPU. It's a speed demon with Daz|Studio 4.20. It can actual process iRAY view, something that my old iMac 27 5K failed at. No the same speed as my Dell RTX -3070, but workable. Quick on full renders too. No complaints!

Post edited by dzweigel on

About how does the rendering speed compare to the Dell RTX-3070? And the Dell has an nVidia Graphics Card, right? If you do get a chance to make some comparisons, please let me know. But thanks for this info also.

Is filament available on Mac yet?

If so, how do you access it?

edited April 2022

dzweigel said:

I just set up my new Mac|Studio Max with 10-core CPU, and 32-core GPU. It's a speed demon with Daz|Studio 4.20. It can actual process iRAY view, something that my old iMac 27 5K failed at. No the same speed as my Dell RTX -3070, but workable. Quick on full renders too. No complaints! 

Sounds great, colour me jealous!

When you have a moment, I'd love to hear a comparison between your Dell and your Mac with a 3Delight render.

-- Walt 

Post edited by wsterdan on

supernoob said:

Filament is not yet available directly on a Mac, that's theoritically going to be available in DAZ Studio 5 (we were told it was working in the pre-alpha). For now, you can use a Windows partition on a Mac using Boot Camp, VM Fusion, Parallels, etc.

-- Walt Sterdan 

• wsterdan said:

supernoob said:

Filament is not yet available directly on a Mac, that's theoritically going to be available in DAZ Studio 5 (we were told it was working in the pre-alpha). For now, you can use a Windows partition on a Mac using Boot Camp, VM Fusion, Parallels, etc.

-- Walt Sterdan 

Watch the change log http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/dazstudio/4/change_log and, when a  new version is released, check for the Highlights thread in the Daz Studio forum. If Filament isn't listed in at least one of those it isn't yet available.

• Sven DullahSven Dullah Posts: 7,621
    edited May 2022

Hi there Mac Gurus, I could use a bit of advice. Currently using DS 4.9 on a (late 2015) i5 quad/8Gb RAM iMac. I'm about to get a new monster rig for CPU rendering this week Long story short- how can I be sure this version works with the newest OSX? I suppose I could run my current OS El Capitan on the new rig? 

Find a bit of context here, MacPro specs I'm considering and the PC alternative, thank you!

Post edited by Sven Dullah on

First, the Mac Pro should be compatible unless it's very old: 

https://www.macrumors.com/2021/06/07/macos-monterey-compatibility/

Are you purchasing an older, used machine, or a new or Apple-refurbished machine? I'm just curious, since Apple's prices for even a refurbished Mac Pro are higher than getting a much more powerful Mac Studio with more cores and RAM. If the prices are comparable, and you don't have any important software that's incompatible with the M1 chipset, I'd lean towards the M1. Even my m1 iMac is considerable faster than my Intels, and DAZ has stated that they're workiing making DAZ Studio Apple Silicon-native (not promised, but working on it). 

-- Walt

edited May 2022

Tks Walt, it's a brand new one:

• 3.3GHz 12‑core Intel Xeon W processor, Turbo Boost up to 4.4GHz
    • 48GB (6x8GB) of DDR4 ECC memory
    • Radeon Pro W5500X with 8GB of GDDR6 memory
    • 2TB SSD storage
    • Stainless steel frame with feet
    • Magic Mouse
    • Magic Keyboard with Numeric Keypad - US English

I don't want to upgrade my DS 4.9 version if I can avoid it, which is why I kinda skipped the thought of getting a M1 processor. Also I use audio hardware/software that I think will not survive a transfer to the new tech...but that ProMac is insanely expensive lol.

Sven Dullah said:

Tks Walt, it's a brand new one:

• 3.3GHz 12‑core Intel Xeon W processor, Turbo Boost up to 4.4GHz
    • 48GB (6x8GB) of DDR4 ECC memory
    • Radeon Pro W5500X with 8GB of GDDR6 memory
    • 2TB SSD storage
    • Stainless steel frame with feet
    • Magic Mouse
    • Magic Keyboard with Numeric Keypad - US English

I don't want to upgrade my DS 4.9 version if I can avoid it, which is why I kinda skipped the thought of getting a M1 processor. Also I use audio hardware/software that I think will not survive a transfer to the new tech...but that ProMac is insanely expensive lol.

Ah, right, my apologies, I totally missed that you were hoping to still run DA 4.9 and instead focused on the machine/OS. Obviously time for a second cup of coffee.

Agreed on the Mac Pro's price, especially when compared to the new machines. 

-- Walt Sterdan 

edited May 2022

The 20-core M1 Ultra is impressive, but the only Mac that is customizable to atleast a significant degree is the Mac Pro, if I got it about right...and it can host 1.5 TB RAM hehe.

Sven Dullah said:

The 20-core M1 Ultra is impressive, but the only Mac that is customizable to atleast a significant degree is the Mac Pro, if I got it about right...and it can host 1.5 TB RAM hehe.

I'd have to mortgage my house for that much RAM. wink

You'd need a 24- or 28-core machine to install that much RAM, though.

I'm sure you'll be happy with either.

-- Walt

edited May 2022

At least I'd know I'm grabbing one of the last Intel- based machines on this planet for a very long time. There might be another ice age coming up...

I just ordered a MacPro 16core/48GbRAM (4 weeks delivery). I intend to run DS 4.9 on it but testing on my Macbook reveals that Monterey and 4.9 don't play well together, greyed out file options, can't browse for textures, splash screen loads upside down etc. (Yup I can drop scenes from Finder and render.) Apple refuses to sell anything but the latest OS, so my question is:

Can I just clone the entire IMac I'm currently working on, OS (El Capitan), software and content? Or can someone recommend a network solution that would let me utilize both 4.9 and the Mac Pro CPU?

Thanks!

Sven Dullah said:

I just ordered a MacPro 16core/48GbRAM (4 weeks delivery). I intend to run DS 4.9 on it but testing on my Macbook reveals that Monterey and 4.9 don't play well together, greyed out file options, can't browse for textures, splash screen loads upside down etc. (Yup I can drop scenes from Finder and render.) Apple refuses to sell anything but the latest OS, so my question is:

Can I just clone the entire IMac I'm currently working on, OS (El Capitan), software and content? Or can someone recommend a network solution that would let me utilize both 4.9 and the Mac Pro CPU?

Thanks!

@Sven Dullah You may want to consider keeping Mac OSX Monterey on one drive or partition to run the latest apps and the forthcoming Daz Studio 5.  Then install Max OSX El Capitan on another dirve or partion to run DS 4.9. Basically, make a dual-boot Mac.  If you do decide to wipe Mac OSX Monterey, make sure you make a Recovery disk first, in case you ever need to go back to the factory install.

As for cloning, Apple has the Migration Assistant (https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204350). However, cloning your iMac might not work, as the build of OSX that ships with each Mac is somewhat tailored to that specific hardware model. It's probably better to download Mac OSX El Capitan as a sepearate installer that can configure itself to your new Mac hardware.

You should be able to download Mac OSX El Capitan via the link on this page...  Scroll down to this section, "How to download Sierra, El Capitan or Yosemite". 
    https://www.macworld.com/article/671911/how-to-get-old-macos-download-big-sur-catalina-mojave-and-more.html