Carrara vs. DAZ Studio

2»

Comments

• Steve KSteve K Posts: 3,226
    PhilW said:

Yes, DUF files are generally OK, there are some which need a quick UV fix and shaders will need adjusting, but you get used to that as a Carrara user!

As for animation ... I still much prefer animating in Carrara where that is an option. 

OK, thanks Phil & Diomede.  I conclude that I don't need DS to convert items for use in Carrara, nor for animations (my primary goal).  Although I have to say that my very limited experience with DUF files in Carrara was more serious - moving parts that didn't move, some items failed to render at all.  But that was a while back, so maybe things are better now.  If I see a killer product in DUF format, maybe I'll take another shot.

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125

If you want to use your V4 conent on genesis andgenesis 2, you may have to open DS on occasion, conform a clothing item to a figure, and then use SAVE AS, and save to a folder of your choosing.  In the future, you can load that item directly in Carrara from the folder you chose.  You don't have to do that for G2 content being conformed to a G2 figure in Carrara.

Diomede said:

If you want to use your V4 conent on genesis andgenesis 2, you may have to open DS on occasion, conform a clothing item to a figure, and then use SAVE AS, and save to a folder of your choosing.  In the future, you can load that item directly in Carrara from the folder you chose.  You don't have to do that for G2 content being conformed to a G2 figure in Carrara.

OK, thanks. I'm not into Genesis now, but maybe down the road.

• WsCGWsCG Posts: 391

My understanding of Carrara vs. DAZStudio has always been that they're rather complementary, though with some overlap.

Carrara seems to be geared toward creation of entire scenes/animations from start to finish, starting from nothing, and providing a means to create just about anything you can imagine... characters, props, vegetation, landscapes, etc. 

DAZStudio seems more geared toward starting with completed assets and assembling them in a somewhat more "pick the parts you like, and go".

Never really saw them as an "either/or" dichotomy. As was said above, horses for courses. You choose the one that best suits your needs... or use both!

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,144
    Mitovo said:

My understanding of Carrara vs. DAZStudio has always been that they're rather complementary, though with some overlap.

Carrara seems to be geared toward creation of entire scenes/animations from start to finish, starting from nothing, and providing a means to create just about anything you can imagine... characters, props, vegetation, landscapes, etc. 

DAZStudio seems more geared toward starting with completed assets and assembling them in a somewhat more "pick the parts you like, and go".

Never really saw them as an "either/or" dichotomy. As was said above, horses for courses. You choose the one that best suits your needs... or use both!

This makes a lot of sense.

Mitovo said:

This is how I use Carrara for short animations.  I'm not a modeler, only using Carrara's modelling features to hack at purchased items, e.g. cut off a beam that's in the way.  I own a vast collection of items usable in Carrara as is, mostly Poser format.  I don't use DAZ Studio at all, having had a bad experience early on, although I realize its improved in recent years.

• SileneUKSileneUK Posts: 1,970
    PhilW said:
    Mitovo said:

Definitely!  I went over to Carrara almost the same week I started with DS a few years ago now.  

Phil... great race in Leeds yesterday... the Brownlees are amazing!  yes Silene

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,037

I use iClone a lot too and sometimes Poser and even eeeeeeeeeeek Blender

all great tools some just harder to wield or do not fit the screw head

SileneUK said:
    PhilW said:
    Mitovo said:

Definitely!  I went over to Carrara almost the same week I started with DS a few years ago now.  

I can take no credit...

• tsaristtsarist Posts: 1,614
    PhilW said:

Yes, DUF files are generally OK, there are some which need a quick UV fix and shaders will need adjusting, but you get used to that as a Carrara user!

Phil

Slightly off topic, but...

Have you loaded any of Stonemason's newer sets?

I was massively bummed out that he stopped doing Poser versions (yes, I know he adds OBJs to his sets, but they don't line up properly for me).

tsarist said:
    PhilW said:

I was massively bummed out that he stopped doing Poser versions ...

Me, too.

SileneUK said:
    PhilW said:
    Mitovo said:

I can take no credit...

tsarist said:
    PhilW said:

Phil

I was massively bummed out that he stopped doing Poser versions (yes, I know he adds OBJs to his sets, but they don't line up properly for me).

I haven't got many of his more recent sets, impressive though they are. Did you have a specific one in mind? I remember that Streets of Old London needed a UV fix on part of it.

• ScarletX1969ScarletX1969 Posts: 587
    Mitovo said:

I can agree with this...however, I would never minimize DAZ Studio (or Poser) as just something as simple as "pick the parts you like, and go".  For years, I've always felt that there are artists that treat these particular programs like they are the "fast food" or "instant coffee" of 3D, when we know it's the user and not the program itself.

I also think that owning too much pre-made content is overwhelming and somehow limits your own creativity (I am very guilty of this and has created an image many a time just to discover that something I needed for that image, though I've purchased a lot of content, does not exist).

Which brings me to Carrara...I have and always will love this program.  From a training and pricing standpoint, it is ultra-easy to approach and it has interfaced with one of my favority programs, After Effects, long before Daz Studio was even a thing.  I still have PFHoe camera tracking scripts to use camera tracking in Carrara.

I like doing whole scenes and promos in DS but the good stuff (film work) I do with Carrara.  DS would have to do plenty of the good stuff (like bullet time physics etc) that Carrara do inorder for me to switch. 

Not supporting G3?  That's why I have tons of Generation 4, Genesis, and Genesis 2 stuff to use.  Or I can find a tutorial that would allow me to import G3 stuff into Carrara.

Native renderer not on par with iRay?  That's okay.  Luxus for Carrara, which uses the LuxRender, does just fine and it's mostly CPU rendering based.

So, it boils down to personal preference.  While I agree with some that you jump into a forum about Carrara to praise DS is a bit of a troller's mentality, I understand that you have heavy love for it.

Keep this in mind.  DS is an in-house created app.  It is used to get you to purchase the content here to make those renders.  While the iRay render is fantastic, the G3 and G8 products are wonderful,  DS is still used for marketing the content (Daz Connect anyone?).

Most of us want the challenge of using a full-fledged 3D app that we can do more than just dial some morphs or poses or use pre-made content and not pay a hefty price tag for it.

If Daz truly does continue to support it, they will find that there will always be a healthy user base for Carrara.

(Can we get Carrara 9 Pro, please?  LOL, had to throw that in there)

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,989

in celebration of G8s' release I went to another lesser known site and bought a just released morph package for M4 .. yes

• WsCGWsCG Posts: 391
    Mitovo said:

I can agree with this...however, I would never minimize DAZ Studio (or Poser) as just something as simple as "pick the parts you like, and go".  For years, I've always felt that there are artists that treat these particular programs like they are the "fast food" or "instant coffee" of 3D, when we know it's the user and not the program itself.

Well I wasn't trying to minimize it at all, nor would I agree with the notion that it's a 'fast food' or 'instant coffee' of 3D. There's still a lot of power under the hood of DS: I'm still wrapping my head around it, and the various results speak for themselves.​

I was just saying that I feel the two programs complement each other, providing something (or multiple somethings) the other doesn't. 

• ScarletX1969ScarletX1969 Posts: 587
    Mitovo said:

Well I wasn't trying to minimize it at all, nor would I agree with the notion that it's a 'fast food' or 'instant coffee' of 3D. There's still a lot of power under the hood of DS: I'm still wrapping my head around it, and the various results speak for themselves.​

I was just saying that I feel the two programs complement each other, providing something (or multiple somethings) the other doesn't. 

Ah, I didn't initially think that you felt that way.  I just have this thing about the "elitist" artists...lol.  I completely agree with you.  I just wished Daz felt that way.

• tsaristtsarist Posts: 1,614
    PhilW said:

I can take no credit...

Phil

I haven't got many of his more recent sets, impressive though they are. Did you have a specific one in mind? I remember that Streets of Old London needed a UV fix on part of it.

Thanks for responding PhilW! Well, it's Stonemason, so pretty much everything! LOL For whatever reason, I try to import the OBJs, but they never end up in the right place, sometimes, they are the wrong sizes
    edited June 2017

The first think I would try is to just load them from the Daz library like you would any content. If that gives issues, sometime loading the scene in Daz, saving as a normal Daz scene file and opening that in Carrara (which you can do directly with the Open command) sometimes works better. As always be prepared to adjust any odd looking materials. Loading an OBJ is really a last resort.

Post edited by PhilW on