How to reduce Genesis file sizes in Carrara?

Comments

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964
    edited June 2017

downloaded Genesis essentials, put it a new folder, loaded it in Studio, injected Banjamin, saved it - 32 kb

open in Carrara, saved it - back to 161,000 kb

I can opeb the new genesis in Carrara  (ie the one in the new folder) but under Genesis I don't get any of the usual morphs (eg breasts-side to side etc) 

and I cant seem to inject Benjamin (or anything ) into it. Clues welcome.

Post edited by Headwax on
  • Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 8,334
    edited June 2017
    head wax said:

downloaded Genesis essentials, put it a new folder, loaded it in Studio, injected Banjamin, saved it - 32 kb

open in Carrara, saved it - back to 161,000 kb

I can opeb the new genesis in Carrara  (ie the one in the new folder) but under Genesis I don't get any of the usual morphs (eg breasts-side to side etc) 

and I cant seem to inject Benjamin (or anything ) into it. Clues welcome.

Benjamin is a M5 morph based character so you would need to install the M5 character file as well, then inject M5 before you inject Benjamin.

https://www.daz3d.com/benjamin-for-m5

I tried doing a plain Genesis install as well but it's still locating some of my extra morphs for some reason.

EDIT:-

I just installed M5 into my plain Genesis folder, then tried to inject M5, was not working, so there must be some other file that needs installing as well !!!!!

Post edited by Bunyip02 on
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,037

well yes all the above is obvious 

if it is separated it cannot access the morphs so you cannot morph it

that is the idea if you want to reduce the size

you are like a kitty chasing its tail cheeky

what you need to do is copy over the morphs you want to use in that saved figure only, found in its data folder,  save as a car file then delete those morphs from the DAZ data for it, rinse repeat next one.

moving the morph data folder does exactly the same thing.

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125
    edited June 2017

Brainstorming - not experimenting

- can a 2nd blank genesis starters essential be saved in Daz Studio as GenesisB or something similar, without disturbing regular genesis files? 

-- if so, it will have the same shape / vertex count and order as Genesis

--if so, load Genesis (original with all morphs), shape as desired, save/export the shape as CustomMorph

--if so, the file CustomMorph has same number and order of vertexes as GenesisB

--if so, start new Studio scene, load GenesisB (fresh), use morph loader to add CustomMorph

--if so, save GenesisB with CustomMorh as character subset

?? thoughts??  any obvious flaws?  nonobvious flaws?

Post edited by Diomede on
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,037
    edited June 2017

I have saved figures and props as support asset with a created FBM after running ERC freeze but need to be extremely careful renaming everything as to not overwrite the original then you can delete all data but that morph in your shaping folders for that asset.

Its a rather risky process though as too easy to overwrite original done so too often as to not like to do it.

Mine been mostly decimated figures or with a nonTpose for transfer utility use

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125

Doesn't sound worth the risk.  Thanks.

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    edited June 2017

could temporarily rename your original genesis data folder to like genbakbak, then drop in the fresh 1. smiley 

ben's product page doesnt mention which uvs templste he needs

Post edited by Mistara on

thanks for all the helpful advice - will need sit down for an hour or two and play!

• wgdjohnwgdjohn Posts: 2,634
    edited June 2017

Had to chuckle at self... I'd set a scene for current Carrara Challenge as Not compressed to look at it... shaved at 2.5gb... and forgot to turn Compressed back on which saves about half that size.  Been busy re-saving some versions as Compressed whenever I load them.... most or all but 1 will be deleted eventually.

Post edited by wgdjohn on
    edited June 2017

:) ! I only saved compressed when it's accidental - maybe that's why I have no drive space :)

Post edited by Headwax on
  • VyusurVyusur Posts: 2,235

My last challenge scene with G3f, clothing, hair, furniture, architecture and all the stuff weights 66 Mb. I don't know if it is compressed or not. Never thought about it.

2017-06-16_2057.png
    1465 x 909 - 2M

that;s very interesting

I think my genesis is just weighed out with morph data

My G3 girl has miles of morphing (not only my original but about 10 characters from store).

Thanks for that data . Cheers ! 

Vyusur said:

My last challenge scene with G3f, clothing, hair, furniture, architecture and all the stuff weights 66 Mb. I don't know if it is compressed or not. Never thought about it.

I can understand that if you modeled nearly everything... since G2 is around 44Mb+ without clothing.  Carrara file sizes are very small... don't know how they compare to Blender file sizes... suspect they are similar.

wgdjohn said:
    Vyusur said:

I can understand that if you modeled nearly everything... since G2 is around 44Mb+ without clothing.  Carrara file sizes are very small... don't know how they compare to Blender file sizes... suspect they are similar.

This scene that I modeled in 2016 in Blender weighs 27 Mb. I think that similar Carrara scene would weigh smaller.

Night_city16.jpg
    1066 x 526 - 802K
  • UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588
    head wax said:

:) ! I only saved compressed when it's accidental - maybe that's why I have no drive space :)

Ya think? :)

As a relatively newbie to Carrara, I have looked at a lot of old threads, and concluded that if artists here like Dart and 3DAGE save with compression, then it is not likely to be dangerous.  I've done it from the beginning with zero issues. 

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,323
    wgdjohn said:

Baking... will I need my apron???

Tried un-installing/deleting G2F Essentials... then downloading and installing again... no luck still same sizo.

Nope. I believe that, what you'll need to do is to download the Genesis Essentials and install that to a whole new path other than where you normally install all Genesis stuff to.

Here's the thing: The Genesis system allows us to use any and every morph we have installed directly from the base figures (no need for INJecting morph files).

Daz Studio, being in constant development, is optimized for using the database to keep track of morph data, where we've still only had the one(?) release of Carrara 8.5 development. The idea is that, although the Genesis base figure will contain dials for All morphs Installed, none of them are supposed to 'weigh' anything unless/until used. In Daz Studio, I'm sure that this system has been tweeked again and again - and is still getting advancements - where Carrara got its "It works... okay good. Release it!" development cycle.

Okay... to be fair... the development team really did work long and hard to bring us Genesis (and DUF, for that matter) to Carrara. So I don't mean to sound so "Wham Bam, Thank you, Ma'am".. but Carrara certainly does not have the constant development of Daz Studio.

======  Anyway  =======

So using what Misty was saying, if we want to see what 'just the base figure' weighs, we need that to be installed all by itself, without any other morphs even being installed to that system. So I'm thinking that if we created a new structure, like "My Base1 Library", as an example, as a new Content library, we should get only the content installed to it (tis library) and not from the standard "My Daz3d Library". I've been wanting to see if this is true, but never have.

Meaning that, if we only installed the Base figure to My Base1 Library, we wouldn't get any of the extra dials for morphs we've purchased and/or made and have installed in our usual Genesis library (like My Daz3d Library). Meaning that, when we load the Base figure from that new library, we wouldn't even be able to use other morphs, but would have smaller file sizes.

=====  So  =====

To save on file sizes, we could use our usual library to create our character how we'd like, then export that from Carrara as an OBJ and import into Studio using Morph Loader Pro as a new morph onto the Base figure, and then save that morph shape to the new, custom library, we could use that single dial instead of all of the data required originally to create the shape - if used from a custom library. 

It would be interesting to find out how that would work along with using content from the usual library, like clothing. We'd need to save our custom morph(s) to that library as well for it to work, but would the clothing bring other installed morph data along with it, or would it ignore any data not installed on the Base figure it's being fit to?

If this worked, then instead of "temporarily removing data" from the data folder, we'd be getting away with just using a custom library instead, but with duplicate files to make it happen - still should be easier to deal with, however.

...and, so if that's the case, and it works... we could then have individual libraries like: "Grendel Library", "Brianna Library", "Bill the Vampire", etc., only containing data 'needed' for those specific characters. 

But now, instead of the CAR file being heavier, the entire installation becomes larger and more complicated. 

th3Digit said:
    wgdjohn said:

Baking... will I need my apron???

Tried un-installing/deleting G2F Essentials... then downloading and installing again... no luck still same sizo.

I think you need to install them to another library and not reference it with PostGreySquirrel whatever the database is

Ooops. I just spent a lot more words to say this same thing ;)

Yeah... so I guess this is where DIM might help.

Since the fact that, once we save as CAR format, we no longer gain access to 'new' data for that base mesh, we could temporarily uninstall whatever we don't want, then use DIM to simply reinstall it. DIM is fast for that stuff. But for folks like me with gobs and gobs of shapes... that would suck!

I use large 7200 rpm hard drives, so I don't really mind the weight. But my Genesis 1 versions of my heroes are only about twice the weight of the Generation 4 versions, and Genesis 2... well, the Dartan one is about the same as his M4 version, but hasn't got a costume yet. The Rosie Genesis 2 is 555 mb compared to 137 mb for V4 version.

Carrara's technology is certainly less up-to-date. One would hope that it's connection to Postgre would help it facilitate all of this a bit better. But again, due to it's architecture, Carrara saves mesh information on each save, whereas Daz Studio has been optimized to be able to let a database do that heavy lifting, instead just storing data required by the database in the actual DUF, when saved in that manner. Of course, we can always save the entire mesh as DUF too... but we just don't have to, like for Character Preset saves, for example. Those only really store data to flip the right switches, I suppose.

Thanks for them extra words... they are most useful... helps to understand  how things work and why... no offense Wendy.

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,988
    head wax said:

Any ideas to fix this?  Eg stripping out uneede morph data?

thanks in advance

also does Fenric's Shader fixer work in Carrara 8.5 ?

get a bigger faster, stronger PC with an even bigger faster hard drive smiley

yes it does.... did I answer that before..... 

head wax said:

Ya think? :)

As a relatively newbie to Carrara, I have looked at a lot of old threads, and concluded that if artists here like Dart and 3DAGE save with compression, then it is not likely to be dangerous.  I've done it from the beginning with zero issues. 

sure in the past it has consistently lost me plenty of files - could have been something else then :) maybe an old 8.1 version?

Carrara's technology is certainly less up-to-date. One would hope that it's connection to Postgre would help it facilitate all of this a bit better. But again, due to it's architecture, Carrara saves mesh information on each save, whereas Daz Studio has been optimized to be able to let a database do that heavy lifting, instead just storing data required by the database in the actual DUF, when saved in that manner. Of course, we can always save the entire mesh as DUF too... but we just don't have to, like for Character Preset saves, for example. Those only really store data to flip the right switches, I suppose.

hi dart welcome back 

Stezza said:
    head wax said:

Any ideas to fix this?  Eg stripping out uneede morph data?

thanks in advance

also does Fenric's Shader fixer work in Carrara 8.5 ?

get a bigger faster, stronger PC with an even bigger faster hard drive smiley

yes it does.... did I answer that before..... 

thanks Stezza it's in the works :) !

-Sorry to dig up an old thread.

Any other thoughts on these ideas.

?

cheers :)

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 8,334

-Sorry to dig up an old thread.

Any other thoughts on these ideas.

?

cheers :)

Did a scene with V4 + M4 + G2M and blew the size limit again....

• well my only answer is group stuff in subsets and export rather than save those as car files, then any genesis etc characters with their clothes can be a separate set and added to different scenes too as well as coming under the limit.

• Wendy_Carrara could you please clarify your last post, because I also run into issues with bloated genesis figures that end up crashing my scenes in C8.5pro if i'm not careful and would love to have a viable workaround.

Once I have a genesis figure finalized, with their required morphs applied and clothes & hair fitted, what method would you suggest for using (and re-using) that character?

Thanks

• Wendy_Carrara could you please clarify your last post, because I also run into issues with bloated genesis figures that end up crashing my scenes in C8.5pro if i'm not careful and would love to have a viable workaround.

Once I have a genesis figure finalized, with their required morphs applied and clothes & hair fitted, what method would you suggest for using (and re-using) that character?

Thanks

well no real easy answer, just grouping it, saving it separate (via export to car file) to rest of scene might keep it under the file size limit

it might not if you have piles of clothing and a highpoly hair