How to reduce Genesis file sizes in Carrara?

13»

Comments

• ok - thanks - didn't know if there was a workaround I'd missed

• AlbertoAlberto Posts: 1,411

I almost finish the first version of plugin.

• Alberto said:

oh wow heart

• Alberto said:

Christmas is coming!

• That would be amazing, Alberto! I love the versatility of Genesis, but I've always had to weigh that out against the risk of program crashing or the hassle of dividing scene up into numerous pieces and then stitching back together in post - and when dealing with numerous revisions and giant file size for every save, that becomes a real impediment.  

• Chris Fox ArtChris Fox Art Posts: 380
    edited November 2018

file compression can work but i would not recommend it as it can cause an error and the file is broken.
    another option, you can choose if carrara should save every file internally or externally, so externally it can be a smaller data file.
    I've got some files that are 4GB :D

but maybe if you save it as some other file format than .car could also help.

Post edited by Chris Fox Art on
  • HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964
    Alberto said:

Great NEWS!!!

thank you :)

thanks to everyone's suggestions too

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 8,334
    Alberto said:

Woohoo, party time !!! Many thank yous !!!

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

this only makes sense if using the same character kitbash for multiple projects, wouldn't bother for 1 or 2 renders. smiley
    memory saver trick, is my favorite, build a character stable, using only the morphs you actually using for a particular character.
    level of effort might take a few hours initially, but once you save a base folder of morphs musts, can get it down to an hour.
    also has benefit of transfering only those morphs to clothes items. testing i've seen a 200mb shirt full all gn1 morphs go down to 20mb.

dunno if this habit is unnecessary, before saving content to carrara tray, i save the scene in carrara with the internal option.
    in some cases using the consolidate shader
    reload the scene, and then save individual items to carrara tray.

Alberto said:

Woohoo, party time !!! Many thank yous !!!

Mystarra said:

this only makes sense if using the same character kitbash for multiple projects, wouldn't bother for 1 or 2 renders. smiley
    memory saver trick, is my favorite, build a character stable, using only the morphs you actually using for a particular character.
    level of effort might take a few hours initially, but once you save a base folder of morphs musts, can get it down to an hour.
    also has benefit of transfering only those morphs to clothes items. testing i've seen a 200mb shirt full all gn1 morphs go down to 20mb.

dunno if this habit is unnecessary, before saving content to carrara tray, i save the scene in carrara with the internal option.
    in some cases using the consolidate shader
    reload the scene, and then save individual items to carrara tray.

Misty, my Genesis sizes are:-

Genesis 1 - 1,134,196 KB

Genesis G2M - 874,592 KB

Genesis G3M Johnathon - 1,204,351 KB

Genesis G8M Beta "Johnathon Junior" - 1,752,959 KB

Those are the base values without clothes.

The females are smaller in size as I have collected more morphs for the males. The size will also increase as I am still working on morphs - one of my 3D hobbies.

Anything which allows me to quickly get the file size down quickly so I can spend more time on the full scene setup is most welcome !!!!

Many thanks once again for Johnathon and company heart

• SileneUKSileneUK Posts: 1,970

Varsel has posted this workaround... if you have a figure posed and ready for a render...and I am definitely still interested in the plugin as it will keep the workflow going, but have a look. yes Silene

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/295386/time-and-memory-saving-tip-and-trick#latest

Varsel has posted this workaround... if you have a figure posed and ready for a render...and I am definitely still interested in the plugin as it will keep the workflow going, but have a look. yes Silene

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/295386/time-and-memory-saving-tip-and-trick#latest

Method looks promising, am also very interested in the plugin for workflow speed !!!

the base genesis as a car file is 25mb

adding Aiko5 and NYU for Aiko5 increased the .car saved file to 170mb

and every morph installed adds to the conforming clothes file sizes.

i keep a copy of the base genesis bolder as a folder 'template' i rename folders back and forth, and drop in the morphs i want to add to the character to a copy of the base folder. rename it to make it live before saving to car file.

file size.JPG
    611 x 143 - 24K
    aiko5.JPG
    749 x 569 - 88K
    basemorphs.JPG
    1073 x 586 - 169K
    aiko5 magna.png
    640 x 480 - 65K
    shuffling live genesis folders.JPG
    269 x 459 - 38K
  • ProPoseProPose Posts: 527
    edited December 2018

That's exactly my workflow, but sometimes the parameter tab is empty for the Actor, and non-existant for the Figure, sending it through DAZ Studio fixes the problem.  If you really want a small file what I sometimes do is to remove all runtimes and content folders from DAZ, reset the database,  then add to the content folder just the figure I want to use say for example Riley for Stephany 5.  Try to load the Actor in DAZ and an error pops up, not really an error, but it's telling you all the files it did not find but needs to load that figure.  Make a note of all those needed files, and then add those to the data folder for Riley.  After the figure loads, inspect all the parameter dials available,  and just add the Genesis morphs, or Stephany or Victoria morphs that you may want or need in order to complet the figure the way you want.

Then I load that figure into Carrara, and save it as a .car file for future use.

So, the resulting file size of S5_Riley = 6,618 KB.  That's no hair , no clothes, just the base Genesis figure with the required morphs

Post edited by ProPose on
  • I haven't tried it yet but I suspect deleting all the unused morph targets in the vertex room would help

Never thought of that,  i"ll give it a whirl

my 'base template' morphs folder has the morphs i want on every figure, like the pupils morph, pose controls.

• mindsongmindsong Posts: 1,701
    edited December 2018

I would guess that D3D's 'Gatherer' product in the DAZ store would let you 'refine' your custom character in DAZ Studio down to the minimum, save it (only) as a scene-subset, 'gather' it, and have that new 'gather'ed archive available as a character-dedicated runtime/library that @Mystarra's technique would work well with. I believe 'Gatherer' collects only the things that are actually used in a scene, and creates a zipfile that contains a standalone runtime/library for that scene. The big benefits being a) you could use a mega-runtime to build your character, and b) you don't have to manually figure out what's required (only) to properly extract/create your independent standalone minimal custom character runtime/library.

The other 'trick' would be to fire up your complete (unadorned) character, export it as an obj, and re-import it as a single morph (or head/body/both), then merge that morph with only the standard and relevant genesis morphs (expressions/visemes/etc.) that you would use on the character in that same runtime/library for the project. (clear as mud?)

I struggle with this issue as well and really like the ideas you folks are sharing. Thanks!

ETA: my first suggestion above sounds like the same effect that @ProPose is getting. I'd also be curious what other morphs people consider base enough to put in their 'template' (e.g. pupils, etc. like @Mystarra mentions)

good stuff.

--ms

Post edited by mindsong on

Another consideration to keep in mind is the uv mapping, especially with the Genesis 1 figure.  In Carrara there is no easy way of swapping uv maps from male to female for example.  So in Daz Studio I saved the Genesis figure mutiple times with all the different uvs available to me (M4,V4, V5, M5, etc), so when using Carrara I can apply the proper textures using material presets, or manually.  I keep a separate Genesis data folder with all the Genesis(and dirivitives) morphs that I own, maily so I can find them easily, and from there pick an chose the morphs that I want or need to achieve a cartain character.  Zev0 morphs, and fixes are the essentials for me, and the Evolution morphs, which almost always make it into whatever character I'm working with.

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964

wowza thanks so much Alberto, you have just opened up a whole new can of worms, cant thank you enough

wowza thanks so much Alberto, you have just opened up a whole new can of worms, cant thank you enough

+10 yeslaugh