Novica & Forum Members Tips & Product Reviews Pt 9

Comments

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,874
    edited June 2017

Pose Labels:             Z Deadly Weapon-Gun and Poses

Before you buy this, be aware the woman's hiney is thrust out on most of them so it is more comic/action appeal rather than realistic. I'm categorizing poses and thought I'd share for this set, what I labeled them, and what number went with each. I try to describe the position, not what theme it applies to (like shooting) and thought it might be fun if we shared some of our pose labeling. If you have this set, take a peek and get a few laughs at what I have doing what. These are only the poses for this set, so it's a sample of pose labels. I've also done Etheral so I'll share those too, later tonight. If I continue to do this, I'll do a separate post for each pose set, then do a summary pose for references. 

To categorize- in Content Library, go to Categories and right click, create a subcategory. I made mine !!!!!!Genesis 8  (the ! put it at the top of your lists) and then I created a Pose folder (right click, create a sub-category). Under that one, a Genesis 8 folder (right click,create a sub-category) and Victoria 8 folder. Then you right click>Create A Subcategory, and make a folder for each of your poses.

For your poses up in the Daz Studio>Daz section- you right click and choose Categorize, then follow the sub-menu tree till you get to !!!!!!Genesis 8> Poses>Genesis 8 (or Victoria 8) and then the pose file (Like Standing Arms Bent.) 

Headed to mom's for a couple hours.

How I choose labels-

1. first choice- make it an action that I can picture (like the second one- carrying a pole) 
    2. whichever body part action is most noticed, put that first. Such as standing, leaning, crouching, sitting, or like the first one, "arms stiff out front" 
    3. don't think of the theme, think of what you'd say if you saw it as a standalone pose. I have a Dance Leap for one of these supposedly gun poses. No way would this honestly be a gun pose, the locked, exaggerated leg looks bad IMO. So here's the label, and the pose that caused the label. If you don't have the set, you can look at the promo thumbnails and guess what is what.

Arms Stiff Out Front  16
    Carry Pole Both Hands Front  10
    Crouch and Point  2
    Dance Leap  15
    Hand on Hip  1
    Hands Up- Climb or Robbery  7
    Kick To Side Leaning Back  20
    Kneel Both Arms Front Steadying   8
    Kneel Lean Back Arms Front Straight   19
    Laying Knees and Elbows Bent  13
    Lean Back and Pull   4, 6
    Lean Back Holding On  14
    Leap and Shoot  17
    Model Hip Out Knee Bent  12, 18
    Point Gun  5, 6
    Pointing  Confident  11
    Sitting- Chair or Couch  3
    Stand   Ready To Bat   9

I will also be adding the gun prop (labeling it Z DW gun so I know it goes with that pose set) so it's handy. It will be under Poses. Recommend any props that go with the poses, be put under the poses as separate files, with labels that match the poses because the poses are getting mixed together.

As you do more products, your list will grow. This has Etheral mixed in too, which I will list later tonight.

pose structure.jpg
    520 x 584 - 870K
    Post edited by Novica on
  • LlynaraLlynara Posts: 4,770
    edited June 2017

Wow, you are way more organized than I am! 

G8 Gwennili

Here's Gwennili for V7 on the base G8F using the Morph Loader Pro method Redz has described here. I've converted a bunch of my favorite G3Fs and am really happy with how they look with the new G8 features and Studio improvements. Loving her skin with the new lobe shader settings. There's a free script here to put them on G3F skins. I need to do a few more posing adjustments on the image, but pretty happy with it. 

The set is "Thieves Alley" which says it's optimized for Iray but parts of it looked a bit low rez. That surprised me, as I don't think it's very old. It looked much better once I changed to the night lighting and used a little DOF. 

The outfit is two different ones- Hunter Queen for G3F and Midnight Huntress for G2F. The boots on Hunter Queen didn't autofit well and the bodice on Midnight Huntress didn't look right in this pose. So I combined them and matched textures as best I could. The bow and arrow are from Midnight Huntress and would not follow the pose, despite careful positioning and parenting. The pose is adapted from Ensary's ArtemisV7 set

G8-Gwennili3.jpg
    1676 x 1376 - 173K
    Post edited by Llynara on

@llynara  Your Redz link is bad. I didn't check the other links. She's quite stunning! 

I've been busy- and no, lol, not organized on anything except the Genesis 8. I'm starting from the get-go and categorizing as I buy, no exceptions. I don't have any of th G3 poses done, that's why I am starting on Gen8 and working backward. I'm doing all products Gen8, clothes, hair, poses, shoes, etc.

• Worlds_EdgeWorlds_Edge Posts: 2,148

@Lynara, that is a wonderful image.  I just saw Wonder Woman, and it reminds me of some of the Amazon warrior moves :)

@Novica, I hope for the speedy recovery of your son.  I'm sorry your family is going through multiple medical issues.

• jakibluejakiblue Posts: 7,281

oh i've lost a link! was it here that someone posted a link to a free script to convert G3F poses to G8?

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,582
    jakiblue said:

oh i've lost a link! was it here that someone posted a link to a free script to convert G3F poses to G8?

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/176126/g3f-pose-to-g8f-correction-fix-adjust-script

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,602

That works really well. I don't even need to bother converting them now.

• jakibluejakiblue Posts: 7,281

Thanks Mike! (I'm half asleep still, so had no idea where I was going) :) 

jakiblue said:

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/176126/g3f-pose-to-g8f-correction-fix-adjust-script

And Sickleyield's converting clothing from G3 to G8, and vice versa is here.

Well, we're in a pickle. Apparently my Reference thread has maxed out on characters. I'll have to probably move the Top 3-5 post somewhere and expand the References into two posts. I kept wondering why it wasn't saving- then saw the teeny message at the bottom saying "post is x characters too long." That's what happens with five years of references.

• L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479

That works really well. I don't even need to bother converting them now.

That script is a plain text file. I reversed the numbers (- 6 became + 6 and vice-versa; - 45 became + 45 and vic-versa,) and created a script to apply to G3F after applying a G8F pose. All credit to @DavidGB. I know zilch about scripting. And even though I have no plans on spending money on G8, with the instructions on how to create clones, transfer character morphs and fix poses, I'm pretty sure I'll be using the base. I've been using the Content DB Editor to add Genesis 8/Female compatibility to my G3F poses. Then with Filter by content selected, I'll still be able to see the G3F poses...

Pose Labels:    Ethereal Poses & Expressions for Genesis 8 Female(s)

If you're labeling poses, these may give you some ideas. These are only the labels I did for this particular set, and they are not the actions imagined by the vendor. They're what I did so it made sense to ME. The number is the pose number by the vendor. The file label by the vendor is Ethereal so they are easy to find.

Cast Spell  23
    Dance Lean Back  4, 24
    Dance Ballet On Toe Reach Up  17
    Dance Arm Reach To Side  5
    Dance Reach Forward  6
    Dance Reach Straight Up  8
    Fairy  Dainty Arms  5  (note I used 5 twice.)
    Kneel   Arms Overhead  10
    Kneel  Head Turn Gesture Back  25
    Laying Stretched  13
    Lean Back Slight  18
    Model  Hands Over Head   1, 14
    Reach Up  Head Back   Look To Side  21
    Sitting    Floor & By Pool    3, 22
    Sky Floating & Looking  9
    Sky Rising  & Gesture   7, 19
    Sky  Flying & Stretched   16
    Sky  Flying  Take Off   20
    Sunbathing   Arms Up  11
    Talk   Lean Forward & Gesture  2
    Walk   Rushing   12, 15

edited June 2017

Wow, I'm sure this has been discussed, with the numerous Genesis 8 threads (that I am not wading through, I'd never get anything done)   But LOOK at all these new bones you can play with. So neat to see all these! If you've read about it and not seen it, here it is. Below that, the eyebrows of Victoria 8.

And here's the eyebrows for Victoria 8. (Found under anatomy)  The forums have darkened this horribly. I don't know why it does it on some pics and not on others.

scenebonesNew.jpg
    600 x 735 - 1M
    victoria 8 eyebrows.jpg
    499 x 227 - 759K
    Post edited by Novica on

There is so much to love about Genesis 8. You just need to play with it and dig around in the settings, features, etc. They did a very nice job under the hood! 

• L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479
    Llynara said:

There is so much to love about Genesis 8. You just need to play with it and dig around in the settings, features, etc. They did a very nice job under the hood! 

I still wish they had waited another year to start the generation eight figures. It's a very selfish wish. More time with G3 would mean more content for G3. Now vendors like Zev0 will stop bringing us great stuff for G3 and move on to G8—which they should do, of course. I was really looking forward to a G3 version of Dental Plan. (Maybe G3 and G8 are similar enough, the next Dental Plan will work for both generations...) It's a moot point, now. I am happy to see some of the items coming out now are for both G3F and G8F. I'm not going to hold my breath, but I hope the trend continues.

I've tinkered with the base G8F, (my fingers want to hit the 4 so badly there!) and I have to admit it, I like many of the changes. Have you looked at her without textures? Her eyeball is now a single object, with a nice concave surface for the iris. I don't know about V8, but G8F has amazingly realistic eyes when rendered. I've yet to look closely at her fingers and nails though.

I said I don't plan on buying into G8, but if the PC+ releases any characters for her, at $3.49 new release price, I'll probably buy them. But I'm going to wait for the various morphs to be free with purchase before I get them. Assuming marketing does with G8 what they did with G3...

edited June 2017

Drum roll...ta dah...after two weeks, my son got home from the hospital two hours ago. Had a very rough night last night with nausea, and this morning, but they pulled one tube last night and it reduced the queasy, took xrays a couple hours after they removed the second one this morning (and he was very depressed when they said he probably wouldn't go home today.)  The lung stayed inflated, no air leakage, no fluid, did great all day so he's now relaxing at home and most likely playing video games/chat rooming with friends. So that huge corner of my world got on the right track. One corner at a time! Off to assist Mom for the evening, ttyl.

Post edited by Novica on
  • KnittingmommyKnittingmommy Posts: 8,191

Fantastic news, Novica!  So glad he's home.  Now, he just needs to take it easy and recover.  :)

• RGcincyRGcincy Posts: 2,830

So glad to hear the news Novica. Hope it continues to go well this coming week.

• RGcincyRGcincy Posts: 2,830
    edited June 2017

I tried something new today: push modifiers. They are similar to d-formers in that they use a weight map to modify the surface. For this image, I took a 100 by100 primitive plane to act as a blanket, added a push modifier, adjusted how thick it could push the mesh, and then painted a map to cover the sleeping form. I also added a push modifier to the pillows but reversed it's actions so it would push down so the folded arm would look like it was sunk into the pillow. Here's the result:

I wondered if it was easier just to use a deformer, so I tried that and it took more steps with the d-former so the push modifier is a good thing to know. I may write up a small tutorial on how it works.

Push modifier.png
    583 x 700 - 638K
    Post edited by RGcincy on

I hadn't even heard of them. Really neat! Would love to see a tutorial.

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

Novica so happy for you and your son that he is home!

Interesting, I've never heard of a push modifier either.

• FerretmaniaFerretmania Posts: 883

That is great news about your son Novica, I am so happy for you both . 

Thanks, all. Means a lot. He was fast asleep after eating half a (big) bowl of chicken noodle soup (trying to avoid nausea.) My other son deliberately kept to a "night owl" schedule so he could be awake all night and keep an eye on him. A very good brother. 

Are you folks in Mexico, Texas, Lousiana, Mississippi, Alabama, and Florida watching that pesky invest? Our weather says 100% chance of rain Tues-Thursday, and 2" to 20" (well, that's quite a range. Can I have their job?)  So if you weren't aware of the upcoming Tropical Storm (80% or 90% chance, I forget which)  then it's time to watch the weather. The National Hurricane Center is nhc.noaa.gov    I personally like Frank Strait from Accuweather (if you go to the News/Video then to Blogs and on your right at the bottom pick Frank, he's the Southern blogger. You will be able to see computer models and also the reasoning. He does Facebook and Twitter too, very active. 

So I'll probably go do groceries at 5-6am (it's 1:20am here now) to get bread, lunch meat, etc so I don't have to go out this week if it rains a lot. This is ridiculous, just last week was 12.75" overnight, now here we go with the tropics. We have a full house generator so power loss isn't a problem now. After two back to back Category 3's (just short of Cat 4s) we decided it was a good investment. So of course, thirteen years later, still at zero hurricanes. I think the generator is actually an anti-hurricane amulet in disguise. Well worth it!  Let's hope the US doesn't have another Matthew this year. 

I do want to take a minute and say I'm so sorry to hear about the fire victims in Portugal. We're thinking about the families and friends, from "across the pond."  Hugs! 

Okay, want to pass along I just piddled a bit with Genesis 8 female, pulling her in the viewport. I think her posing is much more fluid, and as they mentioned, related body parts do seem to move more when they should. Overall, it's a lot less jerky when you use the "click and pull on" the body parts. I'm quite pleased, I can definitely see a difference.

• isidornisidorn Posts: 1,601

It feels petty complaining about long rendering times, with all the disasters (be they natural or man made) happening all the time out in the world. Just this night London had another vehicle run into a crowd of people.

But, here's me complaining about long render times. My first G8F render finally finished after 2 days 17 hours. Or, it actually didn't finish. I cancelled the rendering at a bit over 95% converged, deeming it good enough. So here she is. FW Rebekah, that I don't think anyone showed here yet, wearing the Sci-Fi Samurai outfit and Perrin Hair. Also used, is SY's Fast Fog Iray and (of course) Khory's Scintillant Portrait Lights

I'm not going to point out the hair going into the shoulder, in hopes no one will notice that. 2 days 17 hours that definitely could have been spent on something better. Oh well, at least I'm alive.

@isidorn   Well worth the wait! I really like the lighting, and the pose is optimal to make the best use of the lights.

I haven't seen the news, so sad about London. 

Glad your son is feeling better, Novica! Praying for his speedy recovery. 

@Rgincy - that's really cool seeing what you can do with those push modifiers. I figured they were similar to D-form but have never played with them. Good job!

@Isidorn - Great render! Are you using bloom in your renders? I love it but find it slows them wayyyy down. A test render that takes 10 minutes without bloom takes about an hour with it. Totally worth it, but much slower. Overall, I find rendering in the latest version faster. Whatever they tweaked is working well. 

Thank you Novica and Llynara! That made the wait feel worth more. :)

I like adding a light bloom sometimes. As the lights in the suit was the main feature I wanted, I added a light bloom to this too and it most likely added to the render time.

edited June 2017

@llynara   Any tips on bloom? I haven't used that either. How much, for example? Can you do certain areas, or is it the entire thing?

I just got back from Walmart half an hour ago, and it sure feels good to have my shopping done by 7am. In case that thing gets to Tropical Storm (or even Depression) or just dumps another foot of rain, I'm all set and can stay home fully stocked. Going to get the vehicles gassed up tomorrow. 

I did buy P3D Duffy and will try to get her rendered.

Post edited by Novica on

@Novica DAZ has a great overview to help with bloom settings here. I have that page bookmarked for easy access.

I'm no expert on bloom, but the basic principle is that it effects the whole image. Spot renders and postwork would probably work for more select effects.

Thanks for that link, Isidorn. I'm just beginning to play with bloom and love the effect so far. It combines well in Photoshop with just a little Glamour Glow (Nik Collection) or other soft glow filters. I used it on the last few renders I've posted here. Between the Iray tweaks in the latest Studio, the new G8 expressions, better posing, and learning Studio and Photoshop better, I'm really close to getting the results I've wanted for the past year and a half. Very excited! 

PS. Yes, it affects the whole picture and a little bit of bloom goes a long way. So far I've been using the default when you turn the bloom on and have liked the results.

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

That's gorgeous Isidorn.  I also think it was worth the wait. And thank you for the link as well, something else I've been meaning to investigate

Glad you all stocked up Novica, hopefully it will stay in the 2 inch range and not the 20 inch range!

This discussion has been closed.