Novica & Forum Members Tips & Product Reviews Pt 9

Comments

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,874
    edited June 2017

That's gorgeous Isidorn.  I also think it was worth the wait. And thank you for the link as well, something else I've been meaning to investigate

Glad you all stocked up Novica, hopefully it will stay in the 2 inch range and not the 20 inch range!

Thanks @isidorn   I'll take a peek. They came out with an update and I think it's going to go west of us, but we're still in the 5-8" range as there's another front involved (ack, "slow moving" is not what we want to hear.) An interesting statistic I just read- Florida (the peninsula, not the panhandle where I am) just reduced it's severe drought 60% in under two weeks! That's a lot of rain. 

Stupid double post, I hate these forums! See next post for Duffy.

duffyMarineSailorKylanHair2.png
    640 x 900 - 1M
    Post edited by Novica on
    edited June 2017

Before I get off the computer, here's P3D Duffy HD for Victoria 8  wearing Marine Outfit for Genesis 3 Female(s)  and  Kylan Hair. No trouble whatsoever with the Genesis 3 outfit on VIctoria 8 character. However, do change the collision for the outer jacket, to collide with the sweater, and not the figure- then turn collision to 7. 

Post edited by Novica on
  • firewardenfirewarden Posts: 1,459
    Novica said:

Drum roll...ta dah...after two weeks, my son got home from the hospital two hours ago. Had a very rough night last night with nausea, and this morning, but they pulled one tube last night and it reduced the queasy, took xrays a couple hours after they removed the second one this morning (and he was very depressed when they said he probably wouldn't go home today.)  The lung stayed inflated, no air leakage, no fluid, did great all day so he's now relaxing at home and most likely playing video games/chat rooming with friends. So that huge corner of my world got on the right track. One corner at a time! Off to assist Mom for the evening, ttyl.

Glad he's doing better! :)

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,943
    edited June 2017
    Novica said:

@llynara   Any tips on bloom? I haven't used that either. How much, for example? Can you do certain areas, or is it the entire thing?

I just got back from Walmart half an hour ago, and it sure feels good to have my shopping done by 7am. In case that thing gets to Tropical Storm (or even Depression) or just dumps another foot of rain, I'm all set and can stay home fully stocked. Going to get the vehicles gassed up tomorrow. 

I did buy P3D Duffy and will try to get her rendered.

I got P3D Duffy, too. I thought of you when I saw the eyebrows. I thought you'd like them. I did a render with makeup and now I'm doing one with different hair, lighting angle, and no makeup. She looks great. I'm a big fan of P3D character skins, especially. I bought Duffy, just because it was from P3D. I'll add the second image when it finishes. Second image is attached now.

The lighting is provided by an HDRI "Balcony" from HDRIHaven.com.

P3D Duffy Georgia Hair Lashes Camisole Balcoony HDRI.jpg
    1500 x 2000 - 2M
    P3D Duffy Voss Hair Lashes Camisole Balcoony HDRI.jpg
    1500 x 2000 - 2M
    Post edited by barbult on
  • barbultbarbult Posts: 23,943
    edited June 2017

The jewelry in the P3D Duffy image is from Jewelry Basics for Genesis 3 Female(s). I had a problem autofitting the necklace with pendant to G8F. The chain autofit fine, but the pendant disappeared. Fisty explained what the problem was and even created a separate pendant load that I could use to make it work on G8F! I will share her tips and the link to the pendant download with her permission. (The pendant download will not work unless you own the Jewelry Basics product).

Fisty described the autofit problem this way "The reason it's not working is that set uses an extra little invisible tab that is its own bone that the pendant are set up to parent to, when you run it through the auto-fit it strips out the bone (like it does with skirt handles) so the pendant can't find its parent target. My other set shouldn't have the problem (the necklace collection one), I made that one used rigid follow nodes which do basically the same thing, but didn't know about them when I made the Jewelry Basics set."

This is the link to the separate pendants. These are Fisty's instructions: "Make sure G8 is in zero position when you load these, then parent to her upper chest bone, or the necklace's upper chest bone, doesn't matter.  For the earrings you can run the auto-fit for the post style ones and they work fine, for the dangly ones don't have her selected when you load them and parent them to her head, if you use the auto-fit you'll lose the ability to pose/adjust each earrings (extra bones will get stripped)  For the rings and bracelets put G8's arms in the same pose as G3 before you load them, should be L/R Shoulder Bend: 48 / -48, then they'll besically be in the right place"

Fisty did this for me very quickly, without much time to test it, because she had some other pressing obligations. THANKS @Fisty! The pendant first loaded inside my character's chest a little bit (maybe because my character was morphed from basic G8F). It was easy to move it in to the correct position. I had a similar issue with the ring being not quite in the right place, but again, it was easy to move. Now I can use my favorite jewelry set on G8F.

Post edited by barbult on
  • FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,104

Bloom is a strange beast :) You can target lights by setting the Bloom Filter Threshold to match the light you want to affect. I have also noticed that the Firefly Nominal Luminance can kill the bloom effect because it thinks the bright pixels are fireflies and kills them :) I keep my Nominal Luminance at 100 which clears up any fireflies in most renders and allows most Bloom filter settings to work but there are times when I have had to adjust the setting to get the bloom. Another setting that can kill bloom is the Max Path Length. I have mine set at 10, it speeds up renders slightly, but occasionally it is too low for the Bloom Filter and I have to raise it for the Bloom to work properly. I can't give specifics as I do these tweaks but they are different for each render.

Thanks  @barbult  @fishtales  for the tips!  And Duffy looks quite beautiful, love those lights. I don't like the name Duffy (reminds me of a man for some reason) but yep, loved the eyebrows, as usual, from P3D.

• RGcincyRGcincy Posts: 2,830

Here's the link to my tutorial on push modifier. It covers making the blanket I showed in a previous post as well as using push modifiers to adjust clothing as shown below.

• WonderlandWonderland Posts: 6,793

@isidorn, looks great! Apparently low lighting and emissive lights slow down render times but the effect is worth it!

@Novica, so glad your son and mom are doing better!

Wondering if anyone has tried these lights still in fast grab?

https://www.daz3d.com/luma-lighting-customizable-pattern-gels-for-iray

IMG_4076.PNG
    2048 x 1536 - 3M
  • KharmaKharma Posts: 3,214
    edited June 2017

@Novica So glad to hear your son and mom are doing so much better, I have been a little behind in reading the forums so just found out about your family troubles.

I've also had a bit of time to test run the new G8 and power pose.  this is G8 with a G3 skin by Freja and clothes autofitted, the boots fit real well only had issues with the toes on one foot. i also used a G3 pose and used DavidGB's pose adjust script for the arms. The facial pose is my own just playing in the new powerpose. Lights are Painter's lights

powerpose test.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 434K
    Post edited by Kharma on

@Kharma    Very nice! Don't you love the fluidity of Power Pose? I can't remember what I clicked on, but it provided even more dots for the face. I was like, "Woot!" then I thought, "Man, that's a lot of choices!" (Too many muddles my mind. Consider me muddled.)  I like the way your lighting fades in a gradient as it goes down, leaving the bottom right corner dark. Well done!

@melanieL Sorry, haven't tried them. They look quite nice.
    Any of you folks over near New Orleans? You're going to get the really heavy rain, it appears. Bret has been named and going into Venezuela apparently, so this will be the "C" named storm. We're still going to get 4 days of it. I took Stetson out some blackberries and carrots, and loaded the refrigerator out there so they can give him treats in case the roads close with flooding. The barn owner was out there cutting grass at 8:30pm at dark, because it's grown so much and raining so much.  Everyone hang in there!

• sueyasueya Posts: 830

Please can you let me know if you're still looking for renders/reviews of Emma and Jordi's items. I've just got Scarf Braid Hair

as a freebie when I bought the G8 morphs and should have time to do some renders/ reviews of it along with the G2 poses and outfit I bought this month.
    sueya said:

Please can you let me know if you're still looking for renders/reviews of Emma and Jordi's items. I've just got Scarf Braid Hair

as a freebie when I bought the G8 morphs and should have time to do some renders/ reviews of it along with the G2 poses and outfit I bought this month.

@sueya   Of course! Would love to see them. 

• isidornisidorn Posts: 1,601

If I hadn't already got P3D Duffy, I would have after those amazing portraits by Barbult. Absolutely stunning! I've just finished a 21+ hours render with her that I can't show here, but is available at my DA page for anyone interested. Pretty as she is, I have to say I really don't like her breasts that looks awfully fake imo. Doesn't matter much if hiding them in clothes, but for my render I had to use various morphs on them to get them more naturally human-like.

I also need to thank Novica for the post about V8's eyebrows. I had complete missed that she had no-brow make up options and a full set of different colour eyebrows to choose from. If the rest of the official G8 characters also will have that, I'll be more inclined to get them.

• LlynaraLlynara Posts: 4,770

I agree, Isidorn! Those renders by Barbult are stunning. I finally bought Duffy today. She's at a great price if you own the V8 Pro bundle.

Posted in the Morph thread, but thought I'd share here too. This one, with the bloom and dark setting, took 12 hours to render: 

Here's my final G8 Gwennii using Redz' first tutorial, not the revised one. Everything looks good on her. My next render will be with the newer tutorial.

Notes:

• I followed divamakeup's tip to increase the normal maps to 2 in order to get a little more detail on the skin. The bump maps were already at 2.
    • I used the free lobe shader script on the skin (there's an update for it, so if you have it, check and make sure you are using the current one.)
    • I could not get any bow and arrow to pose right in her hand, so everything had to be positioned manually. Took forever. This one is from Midnight Huntress for G2F, which does come with poses for G2F. I haven't tried converting those yet.
    • This is a tweaked Artemis pose for V7 using the free script to adjust G3F poses to G8F (there's an update for this one too.) I worked on this before I got Bone Doctor. Will be interesting to see what that product does on the more difficult poses.
    • The outfit is a combo of Midnight Huntress and Hunter Queen for G3F. Both of them have fitting issues. The boots on Hunter Queen don't fit right and the bodice on Midnight Huntress looked odd with this pose, so I just mixed them together.
    • The hair is Milen Hair for G2.
    • I gave her elf ears from the G8 head morph kit.
    • Redid her glowing eyes to match the colors in the scene. I just changed the emission color and temperature or the irises.
    • Set is Thieves Alley, which says it's optimized for Iray, but I'm finding parts of it look very low res in closeups. DOF and lighting helps hide some of it.
    • I'm really not sure I'm digging the fog or the background. Might redo it with a different set. 
    edited June 2017

Sorry, double post.

Post edited by Llynara on

Here's a good walkthrough on the new dual lobe specular settings, which can be used on anything with the new Iray uberbase on it, including older figures: 

• OstadanOstadan Posts: 1,123

Great video, that makes it pretty clear. 

edited June 2017

Audrianna for G8 and V8 

Here's a quick render of Anagord's latest character, Audriana for G8 and V8, on sale at Rendo. She's got very interesting features. Could see her as a villainess, vixen or a very determined heroine. Going to have fun coming up with scenarios for her. Very beautiful. I'm enjoying seeing what the PAs at both sites are doing with the latest generation. Fun to see some new and original characters.

PS. The dress is a freebie from Anain at Rendo. She's got a few very nice free ones, this is her first G8 freebie.

V8-Audriana.jpg
    1352 x 1433 - 115K
    Post edited by Llynara on
  • isidornisidorn Posts: 1,601

Speaking of Emma and Jordi, here's some more from them. EJ Vera Deluxe Pack For Genesis 8 Female, here with fantasy options for make up, eyes and nails. The necklace is from Lady Edwina Jewels For Any Figure and the hair and hat is Lala Hair and Kitty Bowler for G2F. All EJ products. The hair would have needed some more adjustments. If you look just under the hat you'll see what I mean. The shirt is from OOT's very useful Genesis 8 Female MEGA Wardrobe

edited June 2017

Audriana looks really nice, and with the June promotion I think we'll see quite a few freebies during the month. I've got to get busy and do some renders for the gallery over there to get more points. Vera looks creepy but rather cool, I love the skin patterns!

Has anyone else been having significant lag the past few days for pages to get "active?" I have to wait after they load, so I've been opening new tabs, which is faster. 

Check out fast grab. Tia is a neat Egyptian character. She and Daughters of Eve are 76% off- very cheap!

Post edited by Novica on
    Novica said:

Has anyone else been having significant lag the past few days for pages to get "active?" I have to wait after they load, so I've been opening new tabs, which is faster. 

Yes, yesterday but not today.

edited June 2017

BTW, we may lose internet. Tropical Storm Cindy advisory that just came out said it will not lose storm strength and become a depression anytime soon- it will actually stay a storm (50mph) coming ashore and going inland! We are in the worst bands, 12-15" predicted this morning and now they're saying with this new information, it could be more. The funky thing is, Louisiana has a sliver of dry air, so while Texas is getting the wind and rain,  and we're getting the most rain, Louisiana in-between those states (smack dab in the middle!) may get sunshine! Here's the radar as of 11am, it's been this way since 11pm last night, training up from the bay. You know it's bad when the Weather Channel sends a crew here.

tropstormcindy11amTuesJune21st.png
    700 x 494 - 176K
    Post edited by Novica on
    Novica said:

You know it's bad when the Weather Channel sends a crew here.

Stay safe!

• firewardenfirewarden Posts: 1,459
    RGcincy said:
    Novica said:

Stay safe!

+1 to infinity!!!!

• L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479
    RGcincy said:
    Novica said:

Stay safe!

Agreed. And I'm going to keep you folks i my thoughts and prayers all day.

• dawnbladedawnblade Posts: 1,723
    edited June 2017

Sorry, just saw your question. I have used these colorful lights just a couple times. In case these go back on Fast Grab in the future, here are my renders:

Plenty O' Potions

Must. Run. FASTER!

A couple things I'm not sure about: if the spheres are meant to be scaled and placed above and out of view of the camera; and do we scale the LightSource or the Sphere itself? I PM'd the artist DimensionTheory in April (there is no official forum thread) but haven't heard back. Probably dumb questions. cheeky  I'm assuming the spheres should be above the scene to cast light over a large area. The discs are for directional lighting, like spotlights.

Post edited by dawnblade on

@dawnblade   I don't think it's a dumb question. You never know until you try it, right?

I have a question on the Content Package Assist. The Readme doesn't quite cover what I want to know. (It starts out and doesn't tell you where to find the program, you're supposed to just "know" it's over in the Program Files (x86) Not me-  I'm looking in Windows>Panes and in Create (since the hair program is there) etc.)

Anyway,  I'm getting error messages of course regarding file paths. The word "Build" is never explained, just that it's location can be moved, yada yada. And then it says everything is self explanatory except two things. Well, no. And Googling, other people had questions as to where this was located (so not just me) and questions. So here's what I am confused about- 

1. regarding batch- does that mean if I have two zip files (like from Rendo, where's there part 1 and part 2) that I should be using that? It's what I tried.
    2. I don't get the Settings at all. That's what was VERY lacking in explanation. Kinda crucial.  It just says BUILD. What is that? 
    3. Settings: Daz IM Download   I'm assuming that's the folder in DIM where the downloads go.
    4. Settings: Packages    Again, no explanation. Is this the finished zip file after its ready for DIM usage?
    5. Settings: DAZ IM Manager: This is a biggie. Is it the path for where DIM is located, and NOT the install path? (aka, it's the Program Files X86 thingie.)

So with what I had, it said path couldn't be found, and I have the folders set up on my external hard drive. Does it have to be on your computer? (for build? ) 

I've got to get some sleep, but an explanation would be appreciated. 

This discussion has been closed.