Novica & Forum Members Tips & Product Reviews Pt 9

Comments

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,945

Do you remember Bijou? I received her today! not sure why though... =-))

My goodness! That is surprising. I didn't know they still handed her out.

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,602

I must've made someone happy today. =-)

I must've made someone happy today. =-)

Maybe your comments on the cats fiasco.

• isidornisidorn Posts: 1,601
    barbult said:

Do you remember Bijou? I received her today! not sure why though... =-))

My goodness! That is surprising. I didn't know they still handed her out.

She's marked with the "new" banner on her main product promo. Curiouser and curiouser...

The new men's sweatsuit outfit is actually pretty good. I don't think the promos do it justice. I like the expansion too

• Novica said:

My (26 year old) son had heart surgery earlier this month (enlarged heart and a murmur) and he was in ICU for 3 days, regular room for one day and then sent home to recover. 

*Hurricane DestinysGarden breezing out.*

@destinysgarden   Just following up to ask how your son is doing? 

Recovering fine. Pretty much back to normal. Thanks for asking. Continued prayers for you and your mom.

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,874

To fairly compare the yachts, I am doing quickie renders from Truform's. This is using the Pro-Studio portrait light (15R) as it does nice, muted light. The first thing you'll notice about this "other" luxury yacht is the materials are simplistic, whereas Polish's are definitely sophisticated.  Polish's items look downright real. On these lounge floor for example, the wood floors and stairs are ultra basic and well, I wouldn't really use them.  On the plus side of this one though, I can apply shaders and jazz things up, I want the mesh/geometry to be right, and so far I've not found intersecting planes or areas of poke-through.

In the movie cinema, the chairs had nice seams and edging, and even the material had soft details. So I think there will be some areas you will like the materials, and other places you'll want to change it out with shaders. I do like the attention to detail in some areas, such as all the lights around the bathtub in the floor, the hanging towel racks are heated (I think.) In the level 3 bedroom, there is a small desk area at the end of the large cabinet, very functional and good use of space. (And note the bottom cushion has a nice plumped seam at the edge, it's not just a square. Those floors seem much better to me too.) 

Wanted to show you how the flow of the yacht works- the 2nd row, 2nd render is the level 3 hallway. The elevators take you from one floor to the other, and each of those doors lead to a separately loaded room (great for render times.) Again, I'd replace the floor, but you can see (last image) the wood paneling has some squares in the panels to provide interest. 

I am using the vendor's scene presets, note you will NOT have the ship walls on any of these, just the "prop" scene areas. Not going to lighten/contrast/shadow/midtone any of these, it would take too long and limit what I can show you. So here's a few peeks at the props/areas.

yacht Level 2 bathroom.png
    600 x 600 - 479K
    yacht Level 2 bathroom2.png
    600 x 600 - 478K
    yacht Level 2 lounge.png
    600 x 491 - 457K
    yacht Level 2 lounge2.png
    600 x 491 - 503K
    yacht engine room.png
    600 x 600 - 560K
    yacht cinema.png
    600 x 600 - 458K
    yacht level 3 bed.png
    600 x 600 - 431K
    yacht level 3 bed 2.png
    600 x 600 - 495K
    yacht level 3 elevator hall.png
    600 x 600 - 588K
    yacht level 3 elevator hall2.png
    600 x 600 - 559K
    edited August 2017

So here's the gym, then the second one is Level 4 lounge. The candles don't seem waxy and the glassware is plastic, you'll also notice those candles need smoothing as they are rather octangular. You'll need to closely check the props in each area, but some of this (like the waxy look) could just be my lighting.

Props are also used more than once (obviously) which does help with continuity, but I'd like different plants! 

yacht workout room.png
    600 x 600 - 498K
    yacht level 4 lounge2.png
    600 x 600 - 507K
    yacht level 5 bridge floor.png
    600 x 600 - 461K
    yacht level 5 bridge floor2.png
    600 x 600 - 529K
    yacht level 6.png
    600 x 600 - 474K
    yacht level 6 2.png
    600 x 600 - 535K
    yacht pool.png
    600 x 600 - 392K
    yacht level 3 lounge.png
    600 x 600 - 502K
    yacht level 3 lounge2.png
    600 x 600 - 490K
    yacht level 3 bedroom.png
    600 x 600 - 537K
    Post edited by Novica on
    edited August 2017

The outside shot took 1:19 to render, in case you're interested. (Interior not loaded.) As you can see, the elevator transports you to the levels.

Second one- exactly 2 minutes to render.

I checked doing the inside, and I'd have to set up lighting and not going to get sidetracked by doing that. So let me show you the side of the yacht- there are narrow passageways so you can easily get from front to back of the yacht. That is a major complaint with the Polish one (unless, like I said, someone can test it and see if I'm just missing something. Wouldn't be the first time, particularly with a huge set.) 

Here's Polish's helicopter scaled down to 90% so you can see how you like the helipad on the other yacht. First of all, pity the people sitting under that umbrella, the blade wash would totally decimate that thing.  Second, I'm not sure how the size of that helicopter compares to a real life scale when used with that other yacht. But to me, that helipad should have been extended PAST the next deck down, to provide protection from the massive winds produced, and to get those blades away from that tower thingie. 

yacht outside.png
    600 x 600 - 407K
    yacht outside 2.png
    600 x 600 - 476K
    yacht outside 3.png
    600 x 600 - 506K
    yacht helicopter.png
    600 x 600 - 340K
    Post edited by Novica on
    edited August 2017

Now take a look at a small sample of Polish's yacht props. Very detailed.

And I hadn't gone up to the upper balcony (where these are) and again, frustration at the wasted space. You have the balcony with the white furniture (and rose) but if you were to look into the glass windows (patio door size, definitely large enough to make a room) there is nothing there. You see the ceiling from the floor below. I tried to render it but the reflections on the glass block it. 

So you may want to keep the yacht for the props and the helicopter, if you got the bundle, you'd have to calculate to see if it's worth keeping the yacht (if all the issues I pointed out with the front half of the ship don't deter you. You basically get one room indoors to render, then all the outdoor lounge areas. Plus a sleek looking yacht.) 

yacht polish1.png
    558 x 700 - 616K
    yacht polish2.png
    558 x 700 - 634K
    yacht polish3.png
    558 x 700 - 564K
    Post edited by Novica on

In the male sale (which tells me G8 male is coming very shortly, you don't do 70% offs on a whim) I picked up Warrior Monk,  Wildenlander Watch HD,  Knight Eisenfaust,  Nordic Warrior,  Genesis 2 Legacies for Genesis 3 Male,  Wise Sensei (G3M),  Cyber Fit Outfit (just for fun!)  and a couple characters to get 10 products and 70% off. Again, without the ability to use morphs from Gen3 onto Gen8, I'm sticking with Gen3 and 70% off the clothes is fantastic. Did you folks buy anything?

• jakibluejakiblue Posts: 7,281

I noticed in the pc forum someone was saying it only has one material zone, tho.  

The new men's sweatsuit outfit is actually pretty good. I don't think the promos do it justice. I like the expansion too

edited August 2017

I was able to pick up Raoul for Ivan 7, Really Cool Handgun and Poses for G3M, (the name of that product always makes me smile), and Tactical Pants for G3M

Now I already had a copy of Tactical Pants as I did some promos with them, but I liked them so much, that I went ahead and bought them in the sale to show support...and also because if I ever lose my promo files, I'll still have those pants. LOL. They are awesome. And they look quite good on G3F also. I've also used them on big George too, with no problems, even with his extreme size. They're definitely worth it. 

Raoul - well how can anyone resist him?? he's amazing! Ivan rapidly became one of my fave G3 males - he's wonderful. And Raoul, by the brilliant Saiyoness, is incredible. I had a quick play with him last night - can't show it as I was promoing lights that havne't been released yet - but I will. The only disappointment with him is that I was hoping for normal maps, but he doesn't come with any. I did use Ivan's "veiny" normal map on his torso tho. 

As for Really Cool Handgun - I always giggle at that name LOL. And I can't resist guns and poses for either the males or the females, so that was a no brainer. 

I REALLY wanted to get a few more, to make it to the 10 items at 70%..particularly a Luthbel or two....but didn't have quite enough in the account. LOL. That was definitely one of the better sales DAz has had recently...although I kinda was peeved a bit at the discounts going from 3 items then jumping to 10

Novica said:

In the male sale (which tells me G8 male is coming very shortly, you don't do 70% offs on a whim) I picked up Warrior Monk,  Wildenlander Watch HD,  Knight Eisenfaust,  Nordic Warrior,  Genesis 2 Legacies for Genesis 3 Male,  Wise Sensei (G3M),  Cyber Fit Outfit (just for fun!)  and a couple characters to get 10 products and 70% off. Again, without the ability to use morphs from Gen3 onto Gen8, I'm sticking with Gen3 and 70% off the clothes is fantastic. Did you folks buy anything?

Post edited by jakiblue on
  • shadowhawk1shadowhawk1 Posts: 2,191
    Novica said:

The outside shot took 1:19 to render, in case you're interested. (Interior not loaded.) As you can see, the elevator transports you to the levels.

Second one- exactly 2 minutes to render.

I checked doing the inside, and I'd have to set up lighting and not going to get sidetracked by doing that. So let me show you the side of the yacht- there are narrow passageways so you can easily get from front to back of the yacht. That is a major complaint with the Polish one (unless, like I said, someone can test it and see if I'm just missing something. Wouldn't be the first time, particularly with a huge set.) 

Here's Polish's helicopter scaled down to 90% so you can see how you like the helipad on the other yacht. First of all, pity the people sitting under that umbrella, the blade wash would totally decimate that thing.  Second, I'm not sure how the size of that helicopter compares to a real life scale when used with that other yacht. But to me, that helipad should have been extended PAST the next deck down, to provide protection from the massive winds produced, and to get those blades away from that tower thingie. 

Well you have convinced me to forgo the Yacht here and get the Truform versions dispite the higher cost. It almost looks as if getting the Polish props and helo would compliment the Truform version and be the best of both worlds. 

As far as the helo pad, I agree it should have been extended out to accomidate the rotor wash and prevent a strike to the comm tower when landing or taking off. If the yacht were in motion the turbulant air currents would make landing in that small space worse than a carrier landing in a hurricane. I don't like the elevator tower so close to the pad either, it kind of makes it feel like the whole helo pad was an after thought. I think if they had made it just one pad instead of two and made a staircase going up to it might have been better but they still would have needed to extend both decks to create a better fit. 

Regardless of its seemingly minor flaws I will keep the truform yacht in my wishlist while removing the Polish version from my wishlist while keeping the props and helo. Unfortunately it is cheaper to keep the bundle then buy them individually 

• ben98120000ben98120000 Posts: 469
    edited August 2017

Novica said:

This yacht (from my experiences, keep in mind) does not utilize space and would never hit the open seas. Not only that, but once you land in that helicopter, good luck, you're stuck in the front of the ship because the stairs LEAD TO THE HULL. (Stairs sticking through other pieces, I might add.) And the hull is one big wasted space. Nothing there. Those huge, beautiful windows you are seeing on the side light absolutely nothing but the hull. (You could turn it into something, except the stairs poke through other things so you'd have to watch your camera angle.)

So, let's see- relax in the sauna or try and leave the cockpit- and down to the hull you go. And, I might add, no other way out. So your guests arrive on the helicopter and you guessed it. Down to the hull they go. (I know, try not to laugh.)   So I HAVE to be missing another way to the back of the ship. See if you can find it. But honestly, if I've tried this for hours and there's no logical progression from the cockpit (which is isolated, door leads only to outside deck) then it doesn't seem like a good layout to me.  And behind the cockpit- nothing. It's not a room, so it's just wasted space. So sadly, that beautiful strip of sloping windows behind the cockpit lights nothing. That section totally blocks your way from the cockpit to the back of the yacht. I tried looking for a door at the back of the cockpit but it's not there, and you'd be in sloping-window-section anyway- which shrinks and looks good only from the outside. (And it does look really good, to be fair.)  

You make plenty of  valid points. You also make plenty of invalid ones.

When you (or anybody else for that matter) reviews some product, it is necessary to limit yourself to the context that is internal to the product. What the product is (or claims to be), what the product does (or claims to do) etc. When you (or anybody else for that matter) start to bring in external stuff, you are expanding the context beyond the context (the scope) of the product. "I wish it had.." is just that, a wish and not a review.

If this product claimed to be a real world yacht replica than a "its nothing like a real world" would be valid point, because the product mentions that point which makes it internal point of the product. Since it doesnt, it isnt (in context of a review). If the product claims that you can put your character in the engine room, than "theres nothing inside" would be valid point. Etc.

The product is (just) what the product is. Some of your points are way beyond or wider than the product.

Post edited by ben98120000 on
    edited August 2017

I get what you are saying, and it's understandable. But on the other hand, a lot of those points can help someone else make up their mind. The only way to REALLY see what a product is and what it has, is to buy it. You can only see so much from the promos. If you were doing animation and you wanted a person walking down an area in the yacht, but there was nothing there...or the area was blocked...or parts of the rail were floating or couches were sticking out the wall as the person walked past, the review would be invaluable, knowing those things weren't going to happen. If someone just wants a great looking yacht and they will only be rendering the outside - the boat sailing on the sea etc - and weren't too interested in what is on the inside, then the review is invaluable to them cos they're not going to really worry about what's inside.  If someone was going to pay $29.95 and they see on the promo page it states "interior", they may be upset at finding out certain interiors are unrenderable or can't access them. The whole thing with reviews is to point out everything you can, so people who are wanting to use it for different things, will know, without having to buy it themselves, and then possibly return it if it doesn't do what they were expecting. An animator is now aware they can't film a person walking down the stairs and into a room....cos it's not set up that way. 

Novica was unhappy with what she found so she stated that. It didn't fit her expectations and she thoroughly delved into the product. Fred Smith (name plucked from the air) may have read all that and seen the images and thought "well, it's good to know I can't do a render in that room, even tho I didn't really want to, cos I only want the yacht to render celebrity drug-fuel parties on the back deck and it looks pretty good for that." She laid out all the problem areas from her perspective that she expected more from - given the vendor and the price - and it's completely up to another buyer whether those areas are something they don't mind or can deal with. Instead of buying it themselves and going "hey wait......". 

ben98120000 said:

You make plenty of  valid points. You also make plenty of invalid ones.

When you (or anybody else for that matter) reviews some product, it is necessary to limit yourself to the context that is internal to the product. What the product is (or claims to be), what the product does (or claims to do) etc. When you (or anybody else for that matter) start to bring in external stuff, you are expanding the context beyond the context (the scope) of the product. "I wish it had.." is just that, a wish and not a review.

If this product claimed to be a real world yacht replica than a "its nothing like a real world" would be valid point, because the product mentions that point which makes it internal point of the product. Since it doesnt, it isnt (in context of a review). If the product claims that you can put your character in the engine room, than "theres nothing inside" would be valid point. Etc.

The product is (just) what the product is. Some of your points are way beyond or wider than the product.

Post edited by jakiblue on

well i don't know how i stuffed that up. The bottom was ben98120000's quote.. LOL. sorry for the confusion. 

edited August 2017

It is well established this is a thread to discuss the products, and forum members state their opinions as to how they think the product works for them and what they think about the product.  It's been this way FIVE YEARS, and I feel each discussion is quite valid exactly because we do NOT restrict discussing products to a limited set of criteria, such as you stated. We have open discussions, people disagree with each other, we double check products, we help each other use the products better- it's a winning formula and it's not going change. We call discussing products many things, including reviews, and showcasings, and the general guidelines have been in place those five years. People  back up what they say with renders, and with details. Reviews here are very thorough and I appreciate the time everyone takes to show the products and give their opinions.  

If you want to do a review using a set structure, feel free to do so. However, that's not a necessity, it is your choice, and it is only your opinion that it is a necessity.  My thread contributors post what they think about a product, they back up what they say,  and they are more than welcome to structure it the way they have been doing. So we're going to agree to disagree. 

Post edited by Novica on
  • TooncesToonces Posts: 919

Agreed! I'm glad you don't limit your opinions. I want to read those opinions.

It's like the thread on pool with no door: https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/2681506/

The product never claimed to provide a door, but I still want the opinions of folks. I can make my own decisions on whether it's internal or external to product scope.

Also you mentioned: 'I'm sticking with Gen3 and 70% off the clothes is fantastic'

So true! I was disappointed by release of Gen8 because I figured it would mean less Gen3. This is likely true, but I'm loving the G3 discounts. Plus I'll be able to save $ for a couple years by skipping G8 and going with G9. :)

jakiblue said:

I noticed in the pc forum someone was saying it only has one material zone, tho.  

Yeah, thats true. And the tennis shoes are a little unrealistic. But I substituted them out for the set that came with Run with it.

Novica said:

I think I own most of the G3 stuff. But one thing I wish they wouldn't do is advertise a male sale and stick female characters and clothing in the sale or pad it with a lot of odd genesis oddities.

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548
    Novica said:

I think I own most of the G3 stuff. But one thing I wish they wouldn't do is advertise a male sale and stick female characters and clothing in the sale or pad it with a lot of odd genesis oddities.

I found the addition of female character a bit odd myself.

I find the reviews done here extremely helpful, and I value the opinions of those who do them.  I may or may not agree with them (and we have plenty of lively discussions on the pros and cons of some things) but they are always valuable information.

Also check the other pa's stores I'm finding stuff not mentioned in the blurb is actually significantly reduced

Yeah, thats true. And the tennis shoes are a little unrealistic. But I substituted them out for the set that came with Run with it.

They remind me of beach shoes that I've seen sold in some of our tourist shops / gasoline station combination businesses near the beach. They're not fancy, they just get the job done protecting your feet on hot pavement and sharp things on the beach. 

Shoes with laces that just disappear with no ties at the top irk me.

I'm going through the Genesis 3 male section and throwing a few things I the cart and see if they trigger.

edited August 2017
    jakiblue said:

I was able to pick up Raoul for Ivan 7, Really Cool Handgun and Poses for G3M, (the name of that product always makes me smile), and Tactical Pants for G3M

Now I already had a copy of Tactical Pants as I did some promos with them, but I liked them so much, that I went ahead and bought them in the sale to show support...and also because if I ever lose my promo files, I'll still have those pants. LOL. They are awesome. And they look quite good on G3F also. I've also used them on big George too, with no problems, even with his extreme size. They're definitely worth it. 

Raoul - well how can anyone resist him?? he's amazing! Ivan rapidly became one of my fave G3 males - he's wonderful. And Raoul, by the brilliant Saiyoness, is incredible. I had a quick play with him last night - can't show it as I was promoing lights that havne't been released yet - but I will. The only disappointment with him is that I was hoping for normal maps, but he doesn't come with any. I did use Ivan's "veiny" normal map on his torso tho. 

As for Really Cool Handgun - I always giggle at that name LOL. And I can't resist guns and poses for either the males or the females, so that was a no brainer. 

I REALLY wanted to get a few more, to make it to the 10 items at 70%..particularly a Luthbel or two....but didn't have quite enough in the account. LOL. That was definitely one of the better sales DAz has had recently...although I kinda was peeved a bit at the discounts going from 3 items then jumping to 10

Novica said:

I'm tempted by Raul. He's in my wishlist. But those big thick chest hairs that look painted on turn me off. I can't decide.... I wish you could post your render. Do you have any that you can reveal?

And thanks for the tactical pants recommendation. They look good. I like Smay stuff.

Post edited by barbult on
  • L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479
    barbult said:

LOL... Shoes with laces that have bows at the top but no option to hide them irk me, as well. I want the bows. And I want a separate material zone for them so I can hide them easily when they are poking through the garment on top.

L'Adair said:
    barbult said:

LOL... Shoes with laces that have bows at the top but no option to hide them irk me, as well. I want the bows. And I want a separate material zone for them so I can hide them easily when they are poking through the garment on top.

Ah, good point.

I am personally quite happy with Novicas review style. She is very thorough and frequently mentions small things which are useful to know which is one of the reasons I like it. I appreciate diverse opinions and sometimes she has an insight that I am not aware of.  I tend to be a critical reviewer so we complement eachother in that respect.

This discussion has been closed.