Novica & Forum Members Tips & Product Reviews Pt 9

Comments

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,874

So to do that, I believe you click on Load Step 2, which is the light preset (turning things on and off for you in Scene) then go to Parts and that's the actual lights (that's what they're labeled, anyway.)  I'd test it but it would screw up what I'm doing at the moment. Did you do both of those steps? Because the first part is labeled Script, and the second is labeled Lights.

• luci45luci45 Posts: 2,736

Thanks, Novica. I'm just too confused right now. I added the parts after the default and got two of everthing now. SO it worked differntly for me. I wasn't talking about manually adjusting lights. I can do that. I just wanted to try the presets - Load LIght Presets step 2.  That's waht doesn't work for me. 

Your render looks great, BTW. laugh

Hmm, I'm going to exit out and start from scratch as I loaded this up last night. You going to be around for say, fifteen minutes or so?  When you say two of everything, like what? Two sets of Primary lights for example?

I started a new scene, did the same thing and didn't get duplicates. Oh wait, clicking Light Set SUBSET gives the duplicates. 

OK, that is weird - on step 2, you say you have to click the prest and then the part? Hmmm, that is doing something I think. Yeah, will be here a little longer. Thanks.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,950
    edited August 2017
    luci45 said:
    barbult said:
    luci45 said:
    barbult said:

So, did you just buy the head and body morphs and not the expressions?

Nah, I got the expressions too and Expressive Faces - One Click Morph Expressions for Michael 8. I thought he was deliberately making weird faces and they looked kind of fun. But it turns out he was smiling. laugh

Novica said:

@luci45  Looking good!  It's nice to see the hair that is balding or thinning, and showing aging. Very nicely done. I'm putzing with the BOSS lights so yep, I've yet to render my first Gen8M. You folks are doing such a fantastic job, I'm not even missed LOL. Carry on!

BTW, remember my contest is ending on the 31st. It's easy to enter and if you haven't seen the shark one, it's very funny. Pop in and take a look (it's in Art Studio also.) 

Thanks, Novica!

I bought the Boss Lighting today. I can't get the presets to work at all. Instructions say to not to select anything, just double-click a preset. I do and nothing changes. I tried selecing the lights too, and still nothing. I've shut down DAZ, rebooted my computer adn nothing helps. Does it work for you?  I would put in a ticket but usually I get lame responses on products that aren't brand new and they never get fixed. I like The Philosopher's products and he says to contact him by email with problems, so I guess I'll do that. 

I bought the lights, too, but I'm having a different problem with them. I sent him an email at the address in the PDF, but haven't received a reply yet. For me, everytime I click a preset (subset) it adds more lights to the scene. The PDF says loading one light set will replace the previously loaded set. That doesn't happen for me. What I did find to work was the scripts. Or at least they seem to be working better. I installed with Daz Connect, which is notorious for installing incorrect folder structures, by not deleting things that Daz actually deleted during an update. I wonder if that is part of my trouble. I think I only continue to use Daz Connect to torture myself to see how much pain and grief I can actually tolerate. cheeky

This is what it looks like in Smart Content for me. In Step 2, what is the difference betwwen Parts, Subsets and Scripts????

Boss Lights.JPG
    442 x 523 - 61K
    Post edited by barbult on
    edited August 2017

Haha, barbult, you are a glutton for punishment. cheeky Yes, I am having that problem too, adding lights and won't turn any off. Which ones are the scripts? 

I use the DIM though.

Post edited by luci45 on

Okay, let me test and see what happens when I do what you've described.

BTW, I decided to start a BOSS thread with the render presets (and everyone can donate their info too) so it won't be scattered throughout the thread, and get buried when we move on to the next thread. But let's solve this here first. Back in bit.

Novica said:

So to do that, I believe you click on Load Step 2, which is the light preset (turning things on and off for you in Scene) then go to Parts and that's the actual lights (that's what they're labeled, anyway.)  I'd test it but it would screw up what I'm doing at the moment. Did you do both of those steps? Because the first part is labeled Script, and the second is labeled Lights.

They're in Step 2.

Mine aren't labled scripts, barbult. I'm using COntent Library window. I see it's the .dsa files, which don't do anything for me. 

Wow, don't you two live in Florida where it's almost 1am? It's almost 10 here in SoCal and close to my bedtime. cheeky

• L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479

Did anyone get the city bike and poses set?

I did, today, but I haven't done anything with it yet. (I'm working on a scene for the contest.)

Novica said:

Novica said:

They're in Step 2.

'Geez, I missed that. So just use the lights and not the scripts then? 

luci45 said:

Mine aren't labled scripts, barbult. I'm using COntent Library window. I see it's the .dsa files, which don't do anything for me. 

Wow, don't you two live in Florida where it's almost 1am? It's almost 10 here in SoCal and close to my bedtime. cheeky

Yes. We are bad. blush

luci45 said:
    Novica said:

Novica said:

They're in Step 2.

'Geez, I missed that. So just use the lights and not the scripts then? 

Scripts are what DID seem to work for me.

Luci has shamed me into going to bed. Good night, all.

Yep, when I click the Step 1, then Parts and then Set, I am getting duplicate lights (Primary and Secondary.)

barbult said:
    luci45 said:

Yes. We are bad. blush

I couldn't sleep anyway, worried about Texas. Man, Harvey ballooned up SO fast. I keep trying to find out where that sucker is headed AFTER it leaves Louisiana area. I'm in the darned panhandle of Florida!  (It's only going on midnight, lol)

• NathNath Posts: 2,771
    Novica said:

Yep, when I click the Step 1, then Parts and then Set, I am getting duplicate lights (Primary and Secondary.)

Parts is supposed to do that - it's for when you don't want to use the whole set, but just - umm... parts of it. Don't use it in addition to the presets.

OK, not having any luck here. Just keep adding lights and slices of red on the floor in Step 2 Parts, and the scripts do absolutley nothing. 

Hang on, I'm typing up as I go, what happens, in the new thread I'm starting, which is also helping me here.

So what it seems to me, we either need to just click the Step 1 Load Default Set OR go to the submenu after that (Parts) and click Render and Set. I'm exiting out again, I want to see if Load Default Set changes the render settings. (So it would be ONLY Load Default Set OR both the other two in Parts (Render and Set)  Back in a few.

Nath said:
    Novica said:

Parts is supposed to do that - it's for when you don't want to use the whole set, but just - umm... parts of it. Don't use it in addition to the presets.

So how exactly does Parts work- how does it know which parts we're using?

Thanks, Nath, That is how I thought it was supposed to work. Just Step 1 and then Step 2 for whatever preset. 

After shaming barbult into going to bed, I guess I will do likewise. I'm glad our bland weather doesn't keep me awake and I'm sorry you have to worry about Harvey. Thanks, Novica. I will be back tomorrow after my dentist appintment to see how you did and to check out the new thread. Maybe The Philosopher will show up. wink

luci45 said:

OK, not having any luck here. Just keep adding lights and slices of red on the floor in Step 2 Parts, and the scripts do absolutley nothing. 

Which way did you go on step 1, the Load Default Set (then the avatar that says Scene) or did you do Parts>Set?
    Okay, this is dumb. Those both load the exact same thing so far as I can tell. 

And what does Render do in Parts then? Set what light presets, if it's only "Part" of it? 

I think scripts worked for me when I did it from the Load Default Set. Checking it now.

Novica said:
    Nath said:
    Novica said:

So how exactly does Parts work- how does it know which parts we're using?

As far as I can tell, it doesn't - it's literally the various light subsets.

The scripts under Step 2 are what is supposed to be doing that I think.

For step 2, I just clicked Scripts and the lights changed and I got the effect, then Parts>Lights seem to add to that. 

Yes, looking at the manual (insert recurring nightmare of one of the IT guys at work shouting RTFM at everybody who passes by) in Step 1, Load default set loads everything, and the parts split that into Lights and Render Settings for if you want either but not both.

Step 2, the Light presets scripts take care of which lights are switched on from Step 1. Parts are only needed if you want just a particular light set and don't want to bother with the mannequin and the light strip and the render settings that would be there if you use the default set. They're not a step in the standard workflow. (and if you add light subsets with parts, it may even confuse the presets - but I don't know if that's the case)

And Step 3 controls the background.

luci45 said:

Thanks, Nath, That is how I thought it was supposed to work. Just Step 1 and then Step 2 for whatever preset. 

After shaming barbult into going to bed, I guess I will do likewise. I'm glad our bland weather doesn't keep me awake and I'm sorry you have to worry about Harvey. Thanks, Novica. I will be back tomorrow after my dentist appintment to see how you did and to check out the new thread. Maybe The Philosopher will show up. wink

Yeah, I'm keeping the other thread simple with just the simple presets for now, which is the purpose of it. I basically just loaded up with the default then experimented with the different lights in Scene. So I'll continue on for an hour or so setting up that thread with the specific specs to recreate any of the lighting I've done so far.  Good night, have fun at the dentist!

Nath said:

Yes, looking at the manual

Yep, that's what I was re-reading at the same time you were. Thanks so much! Now, where's your renders?

edited August 2017

Right here. Lilith 7 with three of the presets (and since I was using the manual and all, I thought I'd pay attention to the suggested camera angles as well *g*)

Edit: They should probably have rendered longer, since there are noticeable fireflies even with letting them run to the end. (The one in the middle was stopped at 60%)

Lilith Boss.png
    1000 x 1000 - 912K
    Lilith Boss 2.png
    1000 x 1000 - 2M
    Lilith Boss 3.png
    1000 x 1000 - 1M
    Post edited by Nath on

Yep, I did my test renders with the suggested cameras. 

Those are neat!

I now have the BOSS settings thread open here in the Art Studio, if any of you want the settings for the gal I posted an hour ago. And would love to have your renders/ settings too so others can grab the settings or see what presets you used. The guidelines are in the first post. (What I don't want, is just renders without the information to get that result. If you used a preset, tell which one, plus Film ISO, Exposure Value, etc.) 

This discussion has been closed.