Novica & Forum Members Tips & Product Reviews Pt 9

Comments

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,874
    barbult said:
    Are the BOSS lights that SLOW, or is the character in your scene that is making your render so slow, @Novica?

It's the hair, I suspect.

edited August 2017

FW Ana-Sofia HD For Victoria 7     BOSS Pro Light Set For Portraits And Promos     Rasta Tails Hair For Genesis 3 Female 

Little Black Dress For Genesis 3 Females

See notes a couple posts down for the settings for Film ISO / Exposure Value for this darker skinned figure.

TIP: Just by rotating your figure, you will get completely different looks. She is not facing Front.

boss ana sofia.png
    697 x 1000 - 1M
    Post edited by Novica on
  • dawnbladedawnblade Posts: 1,723
    Novica said:

Unfortunately your render isn't opening. Just bought BOSS and looking forward to it!

edited August 2017

@dawnblade   That's because I was switching it out, the print was fuzzy for some reason so I had deleted/removed it. You probably surfed in the exact second I had done that. :)  Try it again. And have fun with BOSS!

Post edited by Novica on

Thanks Novica! It's working now. Beautiful render! Was it done using BOSS' default settings?

edited August 2017

I think it was "D" in Step 2. If not, it was "C"  Film ISO was 157.56 then I moved Exposure Value to 13.25  She has VERY dark skin though- the Burn Highlights was .28 and the Crush Blacks .18  (which could go lower, to probably .12 depending on how dark you like the shadows. The higher the number, the darker the shadows.)   In Corel Draw, I used a Contrast of 2 (which is super low) and Midtones -4  to add a bit more shadow to the skin. (on really light gals that can be as much as -9 to -15) 

Post edited by Novica on
  • Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,604

I used to buy every light set for Iray I could get. But what I'm finding is I prefer the Sun/Sky for scenes whenever possible and Render Studio. for scenes with a lot of light exposure.

I own a number of light sets, really, and they all seem quite similar. I'm going to avoid picking up more for now. They look great in the promos, but I find a lot are similar to what I already own.

Yep, I tend to go to certain sets, I use Dumor's Apocalyptic alot for the outdoors, and the Pro-Studio for portraits- but if the price is ridiculously low, I don't mind buying to test out / showcase, within reason. (and I'm cutting back on things I won't use. I got that dress because I can layer something under it, it's way too low cut and ridiculously short for me to use anywhere but here.) 

The Ghost Lights are another go-to, particularly for adding light to an indoor scene. I do need to look at all the sets I own for Iray. 

Novica said:

I think it was "D" in Step 2. If not, it was "C"  Film ISO was 157.56 then I moved Exposure Value to 13.25  She has VERY dark skin though- the Burn Highlights was .28 and the Crush Blacks .18  (which could go lower, to probably .12 depending on how dark you like the shadows. The higher the number, the darker the shadows.)   In Corel Draw, I used a Contrast of 2 (which is super low) and Midtones -4  to add a bit more shadow to the skin. (on really light gals that can be as much as -9 to -15) 

Thanks for this info on adjusting for darker skins!

You're welcome. One other thing I would suggest (just now looking at this, didn't have time this morning) is until you get used to it, use the PDF. Do a quick sketch or screenshot of the light setup from the diagram, because they correlate to the ones listed in the Scene tab. As he suggests, try changing the colors of the lights (with a blue from the front or a blue from the back) and leave others more gray-white, or a soft yellow-white.  I did a sketch on an index card and it's a quick reference, and there are five lights and I know I won't remember them all the time LOL!

• L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479

Thank you, @Novica, for going above and beyond my question with a test render! I've got the BOSS lights in my cart now. Just trying to decide if I want to spend more and use credit, or spend less and use debit...

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,950
    L'Adair said:

Thank you, @Novica, for going above and beyond my question with a test render! I've got the BOSS lights in my cart now. Just trying to decide if I want to spend more and use credit, or spend less and use debit...

Remember that the big PC+ and PA sales are just around the corner....

• L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479
    barbult said:
    L'Adair said:

Remember that the big PC+ and PA sales are just around the corner....

I know.  which is part of the agonizing decision! lol

L'Adair said:

No problem. I need a variety so I'm going to set up some presets to do portrait renders- I bought a alot of Fred's gals so might as well get those done this next week. 

• luci45luci45 Posts: 2,736

Poor Michael 8 is being so neglected. I couldn't resist buying him. I am never real fond of the Genesis Michaels, but they are always the first male character and seem so great at the time. I like him OK, though I am still not ready for this generation. I agree with Serene Night about the expressions, the smiles especially, being a little weird. I did a smiley face and had to tweak the mouth corners to not have a grimace. Also weird are his gums- they're white for some reason. I had to tweak them and now they are a little dark (will have to mess with them some more.)

I also bought the Genesis 8 Male Body Morphs and Genesis 8 Male Head Morphs because of nice discounts (or so I tell myself.) 

Two hairs came with the pro package. I like the one in the render OK but the other one, wow, the hairline is so low he looks very weird especially raising eyebrows. It seems to me that a lot of DAZ hair has really low hairlines though, or do the models have short foreheads? 

Here are a couple of renders. The semi-baldy guy is using some morphs with M8 and Riccardo Hair. 

m8 better gums.jpg
    1500 x 1875 - 2M
    m8 settler 3.jpg
    1050 x 1400 - 607K

@Luci45, I really like that second morphed one!

barbult said:

Thanks, barbult!  He needed some aging. 

I forgot to mention that I used the eyebrow hair on top of the face map with the eybrows because they seem too thin with the no-eyebrow map. But they are a bit thick this way. Oh well, more manly! laugh

luci45 said:
    barbult said:

Thanks, barbult!  He needed some aging. 

I forgot to mention that I used the eyebrow hair on top of the face map with the eybrows because they seem too thin with the no-eyebrow map. But they are a bit thick this way. Oh well, more manly! laugh

So, did you just buy the head and body morphs and not the expressions?

@luci45  Looking good!  It's nice to see the hair that is balding or thinning, and showing aging. Very nicely done. I'm putzing with the BOSS lights so yep, I've yet to render my first Gen8M. You folks are doing such a fantastic job, I'm not even missed LOL. Carry on!

BTW, remember my contest is ending on the 31st. It's easy to enter and if you haven't seen the shark one, it's very funny. Pop in and take a look (it's in Art Studio also.) 

edited August 2017

I agree with Serene Night about the expressions, the smiles especially, being a little weird. I did a smiley face and had to tweak the mouth corners to not have a grimace. Also weird are his gums- they're white for some reason. I had to tweak them and now they are a little dark (will have to mess with them some unts (or so I tell myself.) 

There is something off about his mouth. His smile looks rictus-y and like he's forcing that smile Fortunately I raised his mouth up a tad and shortened that jug jaw and it looks a bit better. But it is strange that v8 has such natural expressions and michaels looks so off.

Post edited by Serene Night on

Did anyone get the city bike and poses set?

barbult said:
    luci45 said:
    barbult said:

So, did you just buy the head and body morphs and not the expressions?

Nah, I got the expressions too and Expressive Faces - One Click Morph Expressions for Michael 8. I thought he was deliberately making weird faces and they looked kind of fun. But it turns out he was smiling. laugh

Novica said:

@luci45  Looking good!  It's nice to see the hair that is balding or thinning, and showing aging. Very nicely done. I'm putzing with the BOSS lights so yep, I've yet to render my first Gen8M. You folks are doing such a fantastic job, I'm not even missed LOL. Carry on!

BTW, remember my contest is ending on the 31st. It's easy to enter and if you haven't seen the shark one, it's very funny. Pop in and take a look (it's in Art Studio also.) 

Thanks, Novica!

I bought the Boss Lighting today. I can't get the presets to work at all. Instructions say to not to select anything, just double-click a preset. I do and nothing changes. I tried selecing the lights too, and still nothing. I've shut down DAZ, rebooted my computer adn nothing helps. Does it work for you?  I would put in a ticket but usually I get lame responses on products that aren't brand new and they never get fixed. I like The Philosopher's products and he says to contact him by email with problems, so I guess I'll do that. 

luci45 said:

Thanks, Novica!

I bought the Boss Lighting today. I can't get the presets to work at all. Instructions say to not to select anything, just double-click a preset. I do and nothing changes. I tried selecing the lights too, and still nothing. I've shut down DAZ, rebooted my computer adn nothing helps. Does it work for you?  

@luci45  Hold up contacting him, let's talk it out and see what's going on. Are you online right now?

Novica said:
    luci45 said:

Thanks, Novica!

I bought the Boss Lighting today. I can't get the presets to work at all. Instructions say to not to select anything, just double-click a preset. I do and nothing changes. I tried selecing the lights too, and still nothing. I've shut down DAZ, rebooted my computer adn nothing helps. Does it work for you?  

@luci45  Hold up contacting him, let's talk it out and see what's going on. Are you online right now?

Yes

In Content Library>Light Presets>BOSS Portrait Light Set.  Are you loading from there? If so, click the Step 1  Load Default Set, click on the avatar that shows under that, which is labeled SCENE.  Then the next menu over (when you click Step 1 Load Default Set) which says Parts- click on that. You'll see the avatars that say RENDER and SET.  I clicked both of those.

Let me know what that does for you. Mine is working fine, getting ready to post some specific presets for people (my own, not by the vendor.)  with renders to show them. So yes, mine is working fine.

Novica said:

In Content Library>Light Presets>BOSS Portrait Light Set.  Are you loading from there? If so, click the Step 1  Load Default Set, click on the avatar that shows under that, which is labeled SCENE.  Then the next menu over (when you click Step 1 Load Default Set) which says Parts- click on that. You'll see the avatars that say RENDER and SET.  I clicked both of those.

Let me know what that does for you. Mine is working fine, getting ready to post some specific presets for people (my own, not by the vendor.)  with renders to show them. So yes, mine is working fine.

Are you saying that after you load the Default set and click RENDER and SET in the next menu, that you are able to change your presets? 

edited August 2017

Yes, in either the Surfaces pane or the Parameters (Light) for the spotlights. I'm doing a screenshot now of what is in Scene. Meanwhile, do you have a long list of things, including tutorial bullets, the eight cameras, the Primary Lights, the Secondary Lights groups?

For everyone else, this is the nice setup in Scene. Each light is clearly marked. If it is a spotlight, you go in to Parameters if you want to change it individually, under Light. Other lights are changed in Surfaces (the lumens.) You can also change the colors.

boss tut1.png
    398 x 549 - 146K
    Post edited by Novica on
    Novica said:

Yes, in either the Surfaces pane or the Parameters (Light) for the spotlights. I'm doing a screenshot now of what is in Scene. Meanwhile, do you have a long list of things, including tutorial bullets, the eight cameras, the Primary Lights, the Secondary Lights groups?

Yes, a very long list. But instructions say just double click on his presets and it turns lights on and off and changes lumens. I can do it manually if I follow his PDF book, but I would rather use presets and do it the easy way first. 

edited August 2017

Examples of doing my own thing. Went in to Surfaces and changed the intensities and color of the lights.

boss ana sofia Pre 1B.png
    600 x 800 - 781K
    Post edited by Novica on
  • Worlds_EdgeWorlds_Edge Posts: 2,148

Ana Sofia's render came out great.  I can't wait to play with boss lights this weekend.  I'll be back here to follow instructions, lol

I tried Michael out.  The render came out pretty good.  I don't know why I got extra glossy lips though, perhaps it was my lights.  I'll have to revisit.  In pre-renders/quick render - he had a bluish cover over his entire eyes, but once I let it render out, it looked fine or almost fine.  I don't know if it is still a little on the too blue side.  I wish I'd tried expressions out, but that will be next.

This discussion has been closed.