Novica & Forum Members Tips & Product Reviews Pt 9

Comments

• Eagle99Eagle99 Posts: 159
    edited August 2017

A quick shot, made with BOSS Portrait Light Set.(+ Aiko Skin, Sunny Hair and a custom char morph)

A bit tweaking for the camera and the render settings and you're done.

This Package is awesome. I like the description in the Scene Tab and the Step by Step order. No long reading. Everything is explained right in the product. Cool.

Very user-friendly.

Post edited by Eagle99 on
  • NovicaNovica Posts: 23,874
    edited August 2017

I'm having SO much fun today! My sons are at the Shine 2017 video game convention in Boston, one of them is number one in the world for XBOX for Rivals of Aether. They are in the live video streams when they're competing. Talk about a nervous mama LOL. So I'm rendering thumbnails of the BOSS lights (now doing the Secondary) 

Edit: He just won again. Still moving on in the brackets. 

Post edited by Novica on
    Eagle99 said:

A quick shot, made with BOSS Portrait Light Set.(+ Aiko Skin, Sunny Hair and a custom char morph)

Very user-friendly.

Nicely done! And yes, that was quite fun to see the instructions in the Scene Tab. Maybe it will start a new concept. 

Uh oh. When saving a Light Preset, it doesn't save mesh lights? Only the spot lights are saving, even though I have all the lights selected in Scene that I want. 

• L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479
    Novica said:

Uh oh. When saving a Light Preset, it doesn't save mesh lights? Only the spot lights are saving, even though I have all the lights selected in Scene that I want. 

That makes sense to me. Mesh lights are really emissive objects, right?

You could save it as SubScene, with just the lights and mesh lights.

Yep, darn it. Makes sense! 

I am watching KHOU.com right now regarding ex-hurricane Harvey, they have the weather man on live feed, and I'm seeing all around the city of Houston. People are in their attics now, trying to escape rising water. Ex-Harvey is now only moving 1mph. Been a lot of tornadoes (several each hour)  4" to 8" an HOUR in some sides of Houston. (Gotta love the idiots who they are interviewing who said "I didn't know it would be this bad."  Been telling people this for TWO DAYS (well, now it would be three.)  that Houston and those areas would get up to 40" of rain starting Friday night. 

I'm doing a few of the FW gals side by side to compare them. 

• RGcincyRGcincy Posts: 2,831

Just heard from my brother-in-law who lives in Houston. They have a foot of water in their home and have moved to a local church for shelter. Still keeps coming down, so unfortunately, he expects even more water inside before this is over. 

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,950
    RGcincy said:

Just heard from my brother-in-law who lives in Houston. They have a foot of water in their home and have moved to a local church for shelter. Still keeps coming down, so unfortunately, he expects even more water inside before this is over. 

I'm sorry to hear about their house. Good news that they were not injured.

Thanks barbult. I talked to him by phone and they had to wade out to a rescue van early this morning. Water rose overnight as all the rain overwhelmed the bayous. 

• firewardenfirewarden Posts: 1,459
    RGcincy said:

Thanks barbult. I talked to him by phone and they had to wade out to a rescue van early this morning. Water rose overnight as all the rain overwhelmed the bayous. 

So glad they got out!!!

edited August 2017

Houston was expected to get 9-17" MORE rain, but as of an hour ago, the models are projecting it to move to the east and hit the Beaumont  areas, and over to New Orleans with the heavier bands (while still raining off and on in Houston.) At least they have lightened the forecast a bit, but still raining during the next three days so the bayous can not drain. KHOU got flooded so that station is off the air, with Dallas doing the feeds from the KHOU reporters. Bless sister stations, they really help each other out. 

Here's FW Catalina HD for Genesis 3 Female and FW Chara HD for Genesis 3 Female   Click back and forth between the two to see what is very similar and what is different. Catalina is on the left, Chara on the right.

catalinaAndChara.png
    800 x 640 - 795K
    catalinaHEAD2.png
    600 x 640 - 598K
    charaHEAD.png
    600 x 640 - 612K
    Post edited by Novica on
    edited August 2017

Friendly reminder to use your PC+ codes as it's getting near the end of the month. I got a pleasant surprise when trying to search for a Daz Original- remember that Cozy Reading Nook we were joking about not having a door? Well, for 62% off,  it can be overlooked. I was surprised that is a Daz Original with ImagineX.  It was 18.95>13.27 then minus 6.00 so $7.27   

Now for another order, I'm waiting to see about more new releases and what that triggers in the stores, then applying my other $6 one to those. I never let $12 of coupons go to waste. 

Post edited by Novica on
  • Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,604

I think I prefer chara. Unfortunately fw appears to use the same skin resources  so buying new characters frequently means you get the same skin again and again

edited August 2017

I think I prefer chara. Unfortunately fw appears to use the same skin resources  so buying new characters frequently means you get the same skin again and again

Yep, I thought that too. When I see a new figure by FW, other than changing the eyebrows and adding a beauty mark, the skin is very identifiable. One thing about that, by changing the color of the materials and the sheen, the character can at least be changed a bit.

I did buy two characters for my second coupon (must have $18 in the cart) so after the coupon discount,  Adele was $6.18 and Abby was $6.49 (total $12.67)  I like Abby's sprinkling of freckles and both gals are a bit unique.

What I did- (you may want to consider this too)  I went into the stores where I got the additional discount from owning the Gen8M bundle, so you are getting 40% plus 20% then your $6 off. So it is 62% off if you pick the ones that start at 40% off. 

Post edited by Novica on
  • IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

I picked up the new hydra from Herschel Hoffmeyer as well as his Carnataurus which has been on my wish list. Also the new Fantasy Tavern.  I also picked up Them Bones, also on the wishlist as well as the Time Gate, and SY's Universal Breast Helpers and G2M Tunic Rig (which will make a big difference when I start moving my male clothing up the line.) And a couple days ago I picked up the Kerry Bundle - I have been wanting the Rasta Tails for ages and it was too good to pass up, the bundle was cheaper than buying the hair alone and it has some really beautiful hair blending.  Oh, and I picked up the Billboard nodes as well.  I haven't been buying very much at all, I just need to slow down especially with the two big sales coming up but the whole lot was pretty darn cheap.  I could have got it cheaper if I would have pickedud M8 but I honestly, just don't like him.  No offense to those of you who do, and I have seen some really nice renders, he just doesn't appeal to me.  I am sure I will eventually get him but for now, I have other things I am waiting to come to the store lol.

• MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,331
    edited August 2017

I love  the look of that hydra, but I can't really justify buying as I've never used the (ancient) hyrda model I already have!

I (slightly guiltily) picked up that Kerry Bundle too, and I finally nabbed the Skin Builder Pro 3 - here's a quick pic using both (well, just the Rasta hair from the bundle).

Oh and I picked up the SY Universal Breast Helper and Decrackifier too - honestly I spent more this week than the rest of August, with picking up Michael 8's bundle then all these other goodies. The Georgia Bundle too, and like you I got that Billboard Nodes thing. I'm not crazy about Mike yet, but I quite liked the characters and some of the clothes.

ETA: Links to the products in the pic.

Other-Worldly.jpg
    768 x 1024 - 430K
    Post edited by MelanieL on

Oh she is gorgeous!  I justified the hydra because while I haven't used the older one I do and will be using a lot of creatures.  And, he is updating it fo free to include an actual head that has been severed (it doesn't have a separate, well, separated head lol) so people can do renders of it flying through the air or laying on the ground once the hero has lopped it off. Plus, it gave me enough of a discount to justify his newest dinosaur.  Now I just have to wait for a good deal on the saddle and gun gear that go with the dino lol.  I've spend very little this month so I was okay with this one today.

edited August 2017

Here's the two gals I picked up with my PC+ discount.  Abby for Genesis 3 Female  and Adele for Genesis 3 Female

I don't have time to do a lot of renders to show you, but with Adele, I found it frustrating in the posing of the eyes. You can see in the main promo they are not exactly the same, and for posing, it's really hard to move just one with the universal tool showing. So, I know there's a way- how do I hide that stupid Universal cube so it doesn't show up? It blocks the view. Just be aware that if you use a pose from a set, that eye will need tweaking IMO. 

This is Abby. She almost seems like a Girl 7 character. I liked her materials more than the morphs, I did putz and reduce the pucker of the ends of the lips (shown here is the default though.) Lothriel Outfit for Genesis 3 Female.  Be sure and check out the freebies, it's changed.

And Adele. Wearing Geneva Hair and Attica for Genesis 3 Females.  For poses, try the Teen Josie Counteenance and try contempt .20 and rage 1 at .27 for this type expression. I think it's very fluid-looking.

abby1.png
    660 x 900 - 1M
    abby2.png
    660 x 900 - 1M
    adele.png
    660 x 900 - 1002K
    adele2.png
    660 x 900 - 1M
    adele3.png
    660 x 900 - 1002K
    Post edited by Novica on

Usually the freebie section offers little than textures I don't need, but today it had 9 items I could use.

• SimonJMSimonJM Posts: 5,971
    RGcincy said:

Usually the freebie section offers little than textures I don't need, but today it had 9 items I could use.

Thanks for the nudge to makeme go look - I could have swornI had recently - but managed to scoop up 5 items smiley

edited August 2017

As I do a lot of scenery renders, I'm always on the lookout for useful HDRI's for lighting and background. A recently released product is Iray HDRI Storms Lightning and Desert.  It comes with 5 dome images: day with or without lightning, and night with 50% lightning, 100% or none. It's easy to rotate the dome using the dozen presets which vary by 30 degree increments. You can't normally see the image in the preview, so best to launch the Aux Viewpoint and set it to Iray rendering. With only one building in the scene, it rendered quickly, so it was easy to fine tune the position of the lightning bolt. The sky images have variety, so as you rotate it, you go from an area of gathering storm to one with it full bloom. In addition to the images and rotation presets, there's 4 camera presets of varying focal length. I like how easy this product makes it to add an attractive stormy atmosphere to a scene.

This first render uses the day image with lightning.

This second render uses the night image with 50% lightning.

This third image uses the night image without lightning, the rotation chosen to show the approaching/receeding storm.

The building is BRC Beautiful Darkness - Eternity

storms hdri 1.png
    1600 x 900 - 2M
    storms hdri 2.png
    1600 x 900 - 2M
    storms hdri 3.png
    1600 x 900 - 2M
    Post edited by RGcincy on
  • Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,604

I like the hdri storm product. Very nice. I am just waiting for it to go on sale to pick it up. I'm trying to,curb my hdri addiction since I have so many but that looks useful

• jakibluejakiblue Posts: 7,281

there's some good ones in there! If you do 3delight, I can highly recommend the Lantios lights there, they are excellent. I used them all the time when I was doing 3delight. 

Fun Fact: did you know Lantios now works on the special effects/graphics for Game of Thrones? laugh That kid is going places! 

RGcincy said:

• dawnbladedawnblade Posts: 1,723

Thanks for that fun fact @jakiblue! Those lights have popped up now and then when searching the store. I use 3Delight whenever I can, so I'll give them a try. The price is right! laugh

It's been forever, but we used to feature the Lantios lights all the time on the current thread when 3DL was the main option.  They are really good lights.

I'm not going to be on long, we are getting the severe weather from Harvey (yep. Even our local forecast from Accuweather says Tropical Storm rain bands. I had to come back from an eye appt this morning, it was blinding rain and it just wasn't worth even trying to get there.)

Anyway, I got two things to get the 8% off the gift cards (since PC items will qualify)  (Breeze and the Generator)  and bought that order. THEN did the 70% off Genesis 2 and 3 sales. Some things to note- even if you don't think you want Genesis 2 , some of the things also apply to Genesis 3. Since I own a lot of the content, I can't pinpoint them for you, only the one I bought, but there are weapons that have Genesis 3 poses, but are in Genesis 2.

IF YOU GET 4 THINGS FROM THOSE SECTIONS: Also, the female Centaur bundle is a great deal at $28.34, and the FaceGen Artist Pro was $41.70  (and the thread on that is here. )

The weapons I got were MKS Tactical Sniper Rifle and Poses, (Gen3M/F)  at 70% off it's $5.98  Tactical Shotgun (this is the one in the Genesis 2 section, can't remember if it's the male or female, but it has Genesis 3 Female poses too) $5.09,  and Assault Rifle (Gen2M)  $4.48

Take a peek at You Choose for Genesis 3 Males.  You can really play with that one. Goes to $4.07 (76% off
    Universal Horns $5.99  (While you're creating new dudes with You Choose, slap some horns on them LOL) 
    Picked up Boogeyman HD for Genesis 3 Male  $6.89  and Desperado HD Clothes for Genesis 3 Male(s)  $8.98  (quality of Luthbel is always awesome.) 

So what did you pick up that you wanted? (And you FaceGen people better get ready to babysit me if I read that entire thread and am still DUH. Have to try that soon.) 

• Worlds_EdgeWorlds_Edge Posts: 2,148

Facegen is truly awesome, I think you will enjoy it a lot.  It isn't difficult to figure out - if I got it, you will most definitely get it, lol.  

I got so many things tonight...  Here are just some of them: steakhouse bundle, Desperado HD clothes, Tire Shop Environment, War Dog Remastered HD, and Mythical Pixie - isn't he just adorable?

Stay dry and safe!

I borke down and got the female Centaur bundle, Luthbell's G3M Barbarian bundle, The G3F Astrid Elf Bundle,Dragonfly hair which fits g3f, g2f and V4. And the i13 Epic Archery Pose set - So I got 5 characters 7 if you count the human and Centaur characters as separate, I got 5 hairs, 4 for G3f (which also all fit down to V4) 1 Hair and Beard for G3M and 6 Items of Clothing and 1 set of poses and a set of hides and breeds for the centaurs as well as a huge collection of Archery poses from i13 (I realize that most archery poses aren't that close to real life, but I'm okay with that lol.) All for less than $70.

edited August 2017

Coming soon to the store, I'm the tester for Ren for Genesis 3 Male and Genesis 8 Male, and you're going to have some real fun with him. DarwinsMishap has included no-brow option, different colored brows, different eyelash colors, regular and fantasty iris colors- just went above and beyond to give you a combination of fantasy and regular dude. The gallery image for Ren is posted, if you like it, please do- so we can get some "oomph" there the day of release and Ati's app will pick up the image for the product page. It's also posted here. And here is Ren as an "everyday" man. (Well, not that you'd want to run into him, but at least he looks more normal than the Mayan temple dude!)  As I explained on DarwinsMishap thread, the whites of the eye are white, this is just extra saturation and pinkish lights at play.

He's wearing Dragoh Outfit for Genesis 3 Males

This is the one over on the gallery. Very large image, click then click again. This is Genesis 8 Male (yippee) and he also is including Genesis 3 Male for you (be sure and support that effort please!) wearing Arcane Summoner for Genesis 3 Males (take out those shoulder thingies and it lets your figure move!) and it has that neat prop! That background is Ancient Prophecies.

RenMayanPostSigGALL.png
    900 x 1100 - 2M
    Post edited by Novica on

Reminder, my contest is wrapping up at the end of August, we have over 10 people participating so there WILL be 5 gift certificates of $10 and one $25 gift certificate. Your odds of winning are very high (6/11 people so far) as folks can only win one time- but the more entries you have, the better your chances of getting your number pulled!   Since this is so complicated this time (once you win, all your numbers have to be pulled) I'm going to be doing it. I will pull the number for the $25 first, so everyone gets a shot at that one. 

So take a look at the entries so far and see the wide range of options you have- we have serene landscapes and funny renders, it's whatever you want to do! 

This discussion has been closed.