Novica & Forum Members Tips & Product Reviews Pt 9

Comments

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,874

A lot of Flash Sales! Gotta shop then get some sleep. 

• jakibluejakiblue Posts: 7,281

I noticed this: https://www.daz3d.com/scene-optimizer

Wondering if anyone has it and can say whether it's worth getting? 

I also saw this in the freebies forum: https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/137161/reduce-texture-sizes-easily-with-this-script/p1

Does it do the same thing? Should I just go with the freebie script instead? 

Anyone know?

I've seen several comments on the scene optimizer, people seem to really like it. I don't have it but others can jump in and give you their experience. Thanks for linking to the other one, that's a good question. 

I think @Barbult has the freebie script as I'm reading her comments in the thread. It's from late last year, early this year so don't know if it still works in current DS. And I think @SereneNight has the optimizer? 

Im just really curious whether it's worth spending the money on optimizer if that freebie will do the same thing. :D 

I think I may have answered my own question. LOL. I'm using that freebie script on an older scene (iray) i had that was quite huge and took over 2 hours to render when I first did it. Not only is the render at 83% at 17 minutes, and i could probably stop it now anyway cos it looks good, I can also type and browse the web without the lag I normally get. And I certainly don't notice ANY difference between the original LONG render and this one. 

• Eagle99Eagle99 Posts: 159
    L'Adair said:

Did anyone get the city bike and poses set?

I did, today, but I haven't done anything with it yet. (I'm working on a scene for the contest.)

Thanks! I hope you like it.

Looking forward to see some renders.

Kind regards, Eagle99

@eagle99  I think it's really neat to have both the male and female bikes. Hope people notice that. Nice job! 

• NathNath Posts: 2,771
    edited August 2017
    Eagle99 said:
    L'Adair said:

Did anyone get the city bike and poses set?

I did, today, but I haven't done anything with it yet. (I'm working on a scene for the contest.)

Thanks! I hope you like it.

Looking forward to see some renders.

Kind regards, Eagle99

It looks nice, but it wouldn't be street legal here in the Netherlands. No rear reflector, no side reflectors in the wheels (or reflecting stripes in the tires).

Also, no luggage rack or mudguards. Mind, I'll still get it at some point, but it looks naked to me.

Post edited by Nath on

Thanks for the feedback!

@Novica: Looks like they do. It's "trending now". smiley

@Nath: I was thinking about a luggage rack as well. The reference I used didn't have one. So I decided to skip that. Maybe a later "DLC"...  wink

(this is the one I used more or less: http://www.wanderer.eu/produkt-kategorie/raeder/der-student/)

If you are used to dutch bikes, it might look a bit naked of course.

The rear reflector is integrated in the rear light of course and there is no mud on german streets for the need of mudguards. wink

Kind regards, Eagle99

I was thinking of the rear reflectors typical on Dutch bikes - the big ones that are attached to the luggage rack ;-)

An addition would be cool - there's so much you can do to with a bike *g*

Yes, endless possibilities...  I was thinking about these baskets at the handle bar, where you can put in a little dog, or some flowers, etc. . This might look neat.

But than I have to rework the brakewires as well... frown

When I'm finished with my current project, I might get back to that.

Kind regards, Eagle99

Looking forward to it:-)

• genarisgenaris Posts: 313

Hello, one and all!

Does anyone recognize what HAIR this is on the new Mike 8 (not the Axel or Morley hair but the shaved-sided one) that is in so many of the new G8/M8 promos?

Today, when RYAN HAIR debuted I thought at first glance that was it, but it is not Ryan Hair, because the one I'm talking about has long hair swept back on top, while the new Ryan Hair is just short and standing up, plus hairline is different etc.  Is this hair here at DAZ or elsewhere, or is this a product that has not released yet or what?

Any info appreciated....

~Gen

this hair is in many of the new M8 & G8M promos and is NOT RYAN HAIR.... what hair is this?

• luci45luci45 Posts: 2,736
    genaris said:

Hello, one and all!

Does anyone recognize what HAIR this is on the new Mike 8 (not the Axel or Morley hair but the shaved-sided one) that is in so many of the new G8/M8 promos?

Today, when RYAN HAIR debuted I thought at first glance that was it, but it is not Ryan Hair, because the one I'm talking about has long hair swept back on top, while the new Ryan Hair is just short and standing up, plus hairline is different etc.  Is this hair here at DAZ or elsewhere, or is this a product that has not released yet or what?

Any info appreciated....

~Gen

That's Axel hair, came out at asme time as M8. It's in the M8 bundles.

• RGcincyRGcincy Posts: 2,831
    jakiblue said:

I noticed this: https://www.daz3d.com/scene-optimizer

Wondering if anyone has it and can say whether it's worth getting? 

I have it and it works well, especially if a scene has many figures/parts with lots of 4K textures. There are scenes I couldn't render on a 2 gb GPU that would then fit with good render speed.

• LlynaraLlynara Posts: 4,770
    edited August 2017

Wow, I missed a ton of posts! For those wondering about BOSS lights, I was a tester for them and they are great. Here are two renders I did of Redz's gorgeous Shadowborne (Rendo) a while back with the BOSS lights. No special tweaks. I used the dramatic closeup settings for the first, and the half body settings for the second one. 

Tyrren3.jpg
    1500 x 1246 - 1M
    Tyrren4.jpg
    2400 x 1800 - 1M
    Post edited by Llynara on
  • Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,604
    edited August 2017

I have it and it works well, especially if a scene has many figures/parts with lots of 4K textures. There are scenes I couldn't render on a 2 gb GPU that would then fit with good render speed.

I had it and felt it worked well when I got it initially. After using it a while I don't know whether an update made it work less well but it seemed to be that I didn't get much optimization after running it. I don't know whether it was me or that the fact that the product seems to break. I will load it and do a test but I used it a lot initially and loved it.

Post edited by Serene Night on
  • dreamfarmerdreamfarmer Posts: 2,128

I have used a freebie script and the scene optimizer and I love the optimizer. No sign of breakage and it seems to make handling LIE-modified textures much easier. I highly recommend it. The freebie is functional but the Scene Optimizer has a lot of different convenience features that make it very solid. 

• L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479
    Novica said:

@eagle99  I think it's really neat to have both the male and female bikes. Hope people notice that. Nice job! 

That was a major selling point for me. And as long as I can afford to, I will be supporting artists who take the time to support both G3 and G8, so having poses for both male and female and G3 and G8 was another selling point.

Llynara said:

Wow, I missed a ton of posts! For those wondering about BOSS lights, I was a tester for them and they are great. Here are two renders I did of Redz's gorgeous Shadowborne (Rendo) a while back with the BOSS lights. No special tweaks. I used the dramatic closeup settings for the first, and the half body settings for the second one. 

Wow, Llynara, those are gorgeous! 

I finally got the Boss Lights preset scripts working so I will be having some fun with it!

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,950

Daz CS has confirmed the Ivan 7 HD bug about the HD character not loading HD head morphs.

luci45 said:

I finally got the Boss Lights preset scripts working so I will be having some fun with it!

Looking forward to seeing what you do! Llynara's renders were just gorgeous, agreed!
    @barbult   Excellent job. And what, it only took a YEAR for them to know something was wrong? That still disgusts me. 

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548
    edited August 2017

I also tested the Boss lights and love them.  This was done with the Boss lights.

DEENA.png
    988 x 1600 - 2M
    Post edited by IceDragonArt on
  • firewardenfirewarden Posts: 1,459

Are the Boss Lights useful if you mostly do scenes and not portraits?

edited August 2017

Wow, IceDragonArt, that looks great!

firewarden, for me portrait light sets don't work real well for scenes. They are usually set up with the lights close to one central figure. You could make a lot of adjustments but characters and props will cast weird shadows on one another and it is a big hassle. 

I posted the render I did on your BOSS thread, Novica. Thanks for your help last night. I guess we both learned some stuff. I'm so happy it is working now. 

Post edited by luci45 on
    luci45 said:

Wow, IceDragonArt, that looks great!

firewarden, for me portrait light sets don't work real well for scenes. They are usually set up with the lights close to one central figure. You could make a lot of adjustments but characters and props will cast weird shadows on one another and it is a big hassle. 

I posted the render I did on your BOSS thread, Novica. Thanks for your help last night. I guess we both learned some stuff. I'm so happy it is working now. 

Thanks for the info! :)

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

Honestly as much as I totally love the Boss lights they are definitely set up for portraits.  If you are looking for scene lighting you should check out Kindred Arts Ghost Lights and Expansion for Iray and Marshian also has a couple of sets for lighting that are great, both iray and 3delight.  Can't link right now, on my phone.

And thanks Worlds Edge its one of my favorite portraits to date.

Honestly as much as I totally love the Boss lights they are definitely set up for portraits.  If you are looking for scene lighting you should check out Kindred Arts Ghost Lights and Expansion for Iray and Marshian also has a couple of sets for lighting that are great, both iray and 3delight.  Can't link right now, on my phone.

And thanks Worlds Edge its one of my favorite portraits to date.

Thanks. :) I have the Ghost Light sets and they're awesome. I'll have to look at Marshian's lights. I love his Body of Light.

I've also used the Pro-Studio lights for outdoor scenes, not just portraits, with and without ghost lights. I can't remember what scene it was, but people liked it. 

edited August 2017
    L'Adair said:

That was a major selling point for me. And as long as I can afford to, I will be supporting artists who take the time to support both G3 and G8, so having poses for both male and female and G3 and G8 was another selling point.

Thank you! Good to know.

From a customer perspective I can copy that. I'm a bit shy so far in buying G8 only things, specially clothing, as G3 is still the main figure I use and the one where I have the most stuff of course.

Things for both genders are rare. How about some High Heels for man? wink

http://c7.alamy.com/comp/D5T4D6/jorge-gonzalez-from-german-tv-show-germanys-next-topmodel-teaches-D5T4D6.jpg

Jorge... laugh. Back in these days I was still watching GNTM. He's a cool guy.

@Llynara : That looks awesome! I also like the character, even though it has no boobs.. wink. But he's stunning.

I think I know roughly how to set up portrait lights manually, but it still takes me some time a lot of testing and adjusting light by light.

Having some already tested presets to start with is alway nice.

BOSS Lights went right into my shopping cart.

Kind regards, Eagle99

Post edited by Eagle99 on
This discussion has been closed.