• AndySAndyS Posts: 1,434

OK,

cm152335 said:

more bad with Glossy

So what do you think?

G8F_Head_detail.jpg
    962 x 903 - 66K
  • artistb3artistb3 Posts: 188

The name "Genesis 8" appears to be their way to align with Victoria/Michael which do not have an unbroken chain.  I have always thought it disingenuous to continue with "Genesis" naming after the the first generation of it since they essentially abandoned the concept with "Genesis" 2.

As for "Extreme backward compatability", this is what I found using the "Genesis" 8 base female so far:

"Genesis" 3:  General clothing from both male/female appear to work but I could not get high-heeled shoes to work out-of-the-box.  Materials okay.  Poses, no.  Morphs, no.

"Genesis" 2:  Again, general clothing from both male/female seem to work but high-heeled shoes, no.  Materials, no.  Poses, no.  Morphs, no.

Genesis, Generation 4:  See "Genesis" 2.

One must be very careful in deciding how to invest in DAZ character content because a new generation is inevitably going to appear every couple of years and it is easy to feel as if one needs to invest in "new" technology when it is offered.  However, here especially, one must carefully weigh the cost vs. return on investment.  Many people have stopped investing at Gen4 and find it sufficient for most renders.

After investing heavily in Gen4, Genesis and "Genesis" 2,  I stopped buying characters, morphs, and poses at "Genesis" 2.  I buy "Genesis" 3 clothing because I can make it work with "Genesis" 2 without too much effort.  The same might be case with this new generation.  Depends on how well the vendors do with providing clones for "Genesis" 2.  Except for clothing, I feel as though I successfully skipped "Genesis" 3 and I feel good about that.  I will probably do the same for "Genesis" 8 but will wait to see how it develops. 

• cm152335cm152335 Posts: 421
    edited June 2017
    AndyS said:

OK,

cm152335 said:

more bad with Glossy

So what do you think?

the pic you post IT'S NOT A RENDER!

i think you got the same problem!

- PLEASE RENDER!!!

Post edited by cm152335 on
    edited June 2017

Didn't you see my render?
    What you think it is with light, glossy, TopCoat and reflection?

Post edited by AndyS on
    AndyS said:

OK,

cm152335 said:

more bad with Glossy

So what do you think?

i think you got the same problem!

do a zoom into eyes put a light and check that double circles arround pupils,,

i check also with G3 eye textures,, same effect,, 
    i insist, something wrong in eye! 

AndyS said:

Didn't you see my render?

it's not a render!, is the main preview,,

there is the two (preview and render,)
    in preview the problem is minimal, 

at render the result is,, buggy,,

wysywyg.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 532K
    edited June 2017

FFuuhh,

you preview render looks really weird.
    I used the iRay camera in the workspace.
    Render to follow with my "standard" Lighting (spotlight and small softbox).

Of cause I changed a lot of parameters for all eye surfaces.

Render not at the final status.

G8F_Eye_Closeup.jpg
    740 x 728 - 71K
    Post edited by AndyS on

there is a G3, nothing special in eye manipulation,,

g3pic.png
    1920 x 1080 - 1M
  • caravellecaravelle Posts: 2,409

I tried some G3F materials on G8F, and it was fine. G3F clothes cause poke-through around the thighs. Shoes don't work. G2F materials: No. G2F and G3F shapes: No, but I don't have the Head and Body Morphs. I am still hesitating to invest in G8. For me, the now finally established 2-years cycle for the Genesis figures contains a warning: If you are a hobbyist and don't make money with it, don't invest too much in this figure because in two years' time you will have to buy it all again. OK, understood. 

• adam_graggadam_gragg Posts: 141
    KevinTT said:

This is a dumb question, but where is the Genesis 8 basic male? I don't see him in the Genesis 8 Starter Essentials content, only the basic female.

Create a male from Genesis 8 female

Highlight G8F and then it is PARAMETERS Tab > Hidden > Clone 

You will see all Gen thru Gen3 Male and female there and dial in to 100%!

This may seem like a dumb quesion, but I don't see anythink labeled hidden in the parameters tab.  Now, I know what you are thinking "Of course you don't see anything marked hidden... that's the point... it's HIDDEN"... so bear with me.  LOL.  Could you give me a step by step instructions for cloning G3F to G8F... or at the very least tell me how to bring up that elusive "Hidden" label which leads to clone that I so desperately desire laugh

edited June 2017

Hi adam,

at Parameters you have to activate the Hidden Properties.
    I think, the Genesis1 Clone looks a little strange. indecision

Zwischenablage01.jpg
    729 x 741 - 63K
    Post edited by AndyS on
  • ebergerlyebergerly Posts: 3,255
    caravelle said:

G3F clothes cause poke-through around the thighs. 

Am I missing something, or can't you just use the Collision Detection, and maybe add some iterations to it, to prevent poke thru with the G3 characters/clothing? I've never had poke thru problems.

• RalMRalM Posts: 33

I miss the eyelashes

Eyelashes on, but there is nothing ?

AndyS said:

Eyelashes laugh

Now they're anatomical elements.

Thank you, I found ityes

qqq1.jpg
    911 x 1500 - 871K
  • SoundLufsSoundLufs Posts: 67

Hmmm... sounds fishy to me - it never mentions that only clothes are supposed to be compatible. It says "lots of content", and since they went such lengths as to do clones etc. I would at least expect the poses to work. Haven`t had a chance to try it yet, but hopefully the G2F clones abilities would be explained in detail.

• Singular3DSingular3D Posts: 515
    edited June 2017

I've invested a lot in Generation 4 content and now in Genesis 3. As I do not render in Daz Studio, I wonder what benefits Genesis 8 will bring. Are the new features only useable inside Daz Studio? The new feature description is a bit blurry so far and I wonder about he technical background. It took me half a year to understand how Genesis 3 works and so I wonder, if Genesis 8 brings any benefit for users in other applications than Daz Studio.

Backward compatibility and using old textures is fine, but the new muscle system sounds very proprietary.

Post edited by Singular3D on
    AndyS said:

Hi adam,

I did not know about that!  Fantastic!  And it's working!  Thank you very much!

Now... just gotta find a way to get all of my G3F bodies onto a G8F figure!  I'm really hoping I can still use all of them now that G8F is out.  The thing that really got my attention about the G8F was the expression enhancments and the power posing.  THat's kind of a big deal in my line of work

• If the materials, especially SSS and specularity, are not working as expected make sure you are using the current build of Daz studio (4.9.4.115) as older builds do not fully support the new figure and materials.

• Richard John SRichard John S Posts: 389
    edited June 2017
    AndyS said:

Hi adam,

I have activated the show hidden properties via right clicking parameters and selecting show hidden properties, but I still can't seem to find the option that clones the figure.

Clone.jpg
    617 x 956 - 256K
    clone2.jpg
    434 x 548 - 83K
    Post edited by Richard John S on

smiley

Ah, you can't see, because the menue covers it.
    Under "Genesis 8 Female" you have "Hidden". That's where the rulers are.

• Richard John SRichard John S Posts: 389
    edited June 2017
    AndyS said:

smiley

Ah, you can't see, because the menue covers it.
    Under "Genesis 8 Female" you have "Hidden". That's where the rulers are.

Here is what it looks like with the menu gone and the show hidden parameters selected.

EDIT: When I load Genesis 1 I get the hidden options which show Aiko4 etc, but nothing for Genesis 8.\

EDIT2: I unistalled the DAZ install manager version and installed via connect and it's now appearing.

clone3.jpg
    434 x 548 - 65K
    Post edited by Richard John S on
  • G8F is supposed to have "clones" for G3F, G2F and Genesis, as well as G3M and G2M. That means that outfits designed for those figures should all work with G8F using autofit. I tried it with G8F and a G3M outfit. There weren't many options but using "Full Body" on the autofit dialogue, everything fit on G8F fine. That should work with hair products too. 

As for morphs, they won't work. At least not yet. If an add-on for GenX2 comes out to transfer from G3 to G8, then that would let you transfer those mophs over, but it may be a little while before such a product comes out. Otherwise it's a case of waiting for morphs to be released. I noticed they've already brought out female body and head morphs (as separate products). 

How about shoes? Did G3 fit on V8?

• PetraPetra Posts: 1,143

I found with the clothing that geneis clothes do not work well at all, they do not autoconfom, or, most of them wont and in some with long sleeves there are distortions when posed. 

• PetraPetra Posts: 1,143

If the materials, especially SSS and specularity, are not working as expected make sure you are using the current build of Daz studio (4.9.4.115) as older builds do not fully support the new figure and materials.

I have DS 4.9 4.117 pro.. so what is the latest, 

I am more and more confused.

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

G8F is supposed to have "clones" for G3F, G2F and Genesis, as well as G3M and G2M. That means that outfits designed for those figures should all work with G8F using autofit. I tried it with G8F and a G3M outfit. There weren't many options but using "Full Body" on the autofit dialogue, everything fit on G8F fine. That should work with hair products too. 

As for morphs, they won't work. At least not yet. If an add-on for GenX2 comes out to transfer from G3 to G8, then that would let you transfer those mophs over, but it may be a little while before such a product comes out. Otherwise it's a case of waiting for morphs to be released. I noticed they've already brought out female body and head morphs (as separate products). 

I don't think that is likely to happen (GenX2 support) because sadly the creator of those products has recently passed away.  Unless someone takes over this last one was it.

• Does this mean that Daz is already retiring the g3 projects in favor of g8?  

• ArtisanSArtisanS Posts: 209
    cm152335 said:

the eyes problem

something wrong at "Sclera"

on picture i just load the G3 (no changes, just added spot light in front)

Been there and IMHO there is nothing wrong with G8, but with the startup setup. What happen when you use Iray is that in the render settings the dome is on and visible (in the eye reflection not in the world so no way to turn it of since it is probably off anyway). Now the standard dome is a rather blury undertaking and that gets sometimes reflected on the eyemoisture and cornea of the eye (at least that's what drove me nuts with Vic 7 and her mates). I simply give the eye something to look at other then the damned default dome (for instance a more detailed 16K dome, easy of you can make 'm yourself in know). I got it fixed by trial and error and a lot of particulary vile swearing and cursing.

And the problem now has jumped a generation like a genetic desease....

Greet, Ed.

• edited June 2017

you can get G3F character morphs and use them on G8 if you use tranfer utility. you can click on the morphs just like you would on G3F the right one is the G3F the left one is G8

Image removed because of nudity

Post edited by Chohole on
  • Can someone please explain to me, what is the advantage of buying or using Genesis 8 vs Gen 3? Is this something to do with more advance and realistic looking characters?