August 2017 – DAZ 3D New User Challenge – Free Month

Comments

• sueyasueya Posts: 830
    edited August 2017

Title:The freedom to dance in the rain

This is my first draft of this month's entry. I have used RDNA Atmospheric props for the fog and rain. I am wondering if I need to do anything to make the rain look more real. I only have two lights in this scene - one distant and one spot light (casting shadows).

Danceintherain.jpg
    1001 x 800 - 132K
    Post edited by sueya on
  • Kismet2012Kismet2012 Posts: 4,252
    edited August 2017

The extra light makes a big difference to your 4th character Shinji.  Did your camera move?  When comparing the images the edges are closer to the kneeling female figure (cutting off her knee slightly) and your Lizardman.

Post edited by Kismet2012 on
  • SaphirewildSaphirewild Posts: 6,667
    sueya said:

This is my first draft of this month's entry. I have used RDNA Atmospheric props for the fog and rain. I am wondering if I need to do anything to make the rain look more real. I only have two lights in this scene - one distant and one spot light (casting shadows).

Well what I would do is use the IRay base shader if IRay is what you are rendering with, I would also bring down the fog a bit towards the ground.

• The extra light makes a big difference to your 4th character.  Did you camera move?  When comparing the images the edges are closer to the kneeling female figure (cutting off her knee slightly) and your Lizardman.

What happened is that the view port was a little bit smaller than the last one.
  • Shinji Ikari 9thShinji Ikari 9th Posts: 1,180
    edited August 2017

Here is version e of my project for this month.

august2017e.png
    1092 x 872 - 2M
    Post edited by Shinji Ikari 9th on
    sueya said:

Well what I would do is use the IRay base shader if IRay is what you are rendering with, I would also bring down the fog a bit towards the ground.

Thanks for the advice about the fog. I usually use 3Delight as images like this usually take a long time to render on my PC if I use Iray.

I will have a go at rendering using IRay next week when I have more time just to see the difference and check my PC doesn't crash!

• I just completed this piece on one of the massively detailed Urban Future sets which took weeks to complete, because of the sheer scale of this nighttime street scene. Unlike my previous renders I made the lighting from scratch and disabled the skybox. This gave me total control over tone and lighting and it was a great learning experience. 

To get the lighting down I used my own perception of real-world street scenes and weighted various light sources accordingly. While it's not apparent in the picture, the light sources are the actual street lamps, storefronts, and the huge plasma billboard in the backdrop.

To top it off, there is also simulated moonlight hitting the high-rise buildings at an angle. Render time was about 36 hours per pass and I did at least 5 attempts before getting all the settings correct.

This being a red-light district scene I rendered my friend's character (in blue) in a rather predatory mood; he was very happy about his character's appearance as it looked exactly like a photograph he shared. He also liked the girl in the picture which resembled his partner in crime nearly perfectly as well. She is a unique character generated by combining multiple morphs using Mei Lin 7 as a base. 

There's another couple in the background and if you look closely the one wearing brown/orange is my character that I submitted for the July contest; all four characters are part of the same tabletop gaming / fanfic writing group. Coincidentially we had just finished writing a chapter set in a futuristic/dystopian Chinese district which this set of Urban Future captured perfectly. 

Without further ado, here's "Alex Steele in the Capellan District"

4K image attached below.

Battletech OC - Alex Steele - Capellan District V8 4K copy.jpg
    3840 x 2160 - 7M
  • carmenara said:

I just completed this piece on one of the massively detailed Urban Future sets which took weeks to complete, because of the sheer scale of this nighttime street scene. Unlike my previous renders I made the lighting from scratch and disabled the skybox. This gave me total control over tone and lighting and it was a great learning experience. 

To get the lighting down I used my own perception of real-world street scenes and weighted various light sources accordingly. While it's not apparent in the picture, the light sources are the actual street lamps, storefronts, and the huge plasma billboard in the backdrop.

To top it off, there is also simulated moonlight hitting the high-rise buildings at an angle. Render time was about 36 hours per pass and I did at least 5 attempts before getting all the settings correct.

This being a red-light district scene I rendered my friend's character (in blue) in a rather predatory mood; he was very happy about his character's appearance as it looked exactly like a photograph he shared. He also liked the girl in the picture which resembled his partner in crime nearly perfectly as well. She is a unique character generated by combining multiple morphs using Mei Lin 7 as a base. 

There's another couple in the background and if you look closely the one wearing brown/orange is my character that I submitted for the July contest; all four characters are part of the same tabletop gaming / fanfic writing group. Coincidentially we had just finished writing a chapter set in a futuristic/dystopian Chinese district which this set of Urban Future captured perfectly. 

4K image attached below.

Nice start. Looking good so far.

• daybirddaybird Posts: 651
    edited August 2017

The freedom after the bloodlust

First concept, but I have my trouble to get a moonlight atmosphere with the sun-sky setting in Iray render.

Freedom.png
    1800 x 1200 - 3M
    Post edited by daybird on
  • Celes1138Celes1138 Posts: 16
    edited August 2017

Thought I'd try something a bit different with a dance scene. 

tango1.png
    618 x 1000 - 753K
    Post edited by Celes1138 on
  • GarrettDRGarrettDR Posts: 229

I think this is beautiful! One of the best realisticly looking poses I have seen! I would say rotate the toes away from the straps of the shoes so they are not colliding and check the spacing from his left hand and her back. Other than that, I think is absolutely beautiful!

edited August 2017

Post deleted by Garrett R.

Post edited by GarrettDR on
  • HighElfHighElf Posts: 331
    edited August 2017

New Month, new Project.

As a big Fan of Big Monsters (Kaijus) I wanted something similar for my Wallpaper Folder. :) Till now its pure WIP. No Postwork and experimenting with the Settins of the Sun. Currently I play with Shaders, to learn, how they work. Do someone know a good Videotutorial for them?

"Oh Sch..."

Software: DAZ 4,9

Model: Elizabeth for V8, SubDragonLE

NewbieContest_FreeMonth03.png
    1920 x 1080 - 3M
    Post edited by HighElf on
  • Celes1138Celes1138 Posts: 16
    edited August 2017

Thank you for your very kind comments, Garret R! I wish I could take credit for the pose but it comes from the pose pack Intimate Dance from i13: https://www.daz3d.com/i13-intimate-dance-for-the-genesis-3-female-s-and-genesis-3-male-s  I just adjusted the heads a bit and added the expressions to get the scene I was going for 

I also turned on the architectural sampler since I forgot to do that before. Don't know if it helps with this pic but I feel like the shadows are a bit better now.

tango2.png
    742 x 1200 - 3M
    Post edited by Celes1138 on
  • AloreeaAloreea Posts: 285
    edited August 2017

I finally got a chance to work on my pic, I haven't been home in 3 days. Anyhoo, I adjusted some of my tone mapping settings and added a light to be my "sun" behind/above the camera. This is my result.

012356.png
    2040 x 1440 - 7M
    Post edited by Aloreea on

I tried using Iray to render my image and this is what I got after 2 hours. I think I would prefer to use 3Delight.

Please can you give me some tips for making the rain more realistic using 3Delight.

IrayrenderGirlrain.jpg
    1112 x 889 - 831K
  • snoopzonesnoopzone Posts: 27
    edited August 2017

stayMy second contribution this month: STAY.

My second Studio, honestly my first serious attempt.

Sphere by myself made with Blender.
    Environment is a mixture of my selfmade Showroom (Blender + Hexagon) and backdrop by ThePhilosopher.

Model is Stephanie 6, hair is Toulouse, wardrobe is daz original. Male model is daz original.

Rendered with 3Delight.

Post production: paint.NET

stay.jpg
    1024 x 1448 - 348K
    Post edited by snoopzone on
  • Aloreea said:

I finally got a chance to work on my pic, I haven't been home in 3 days. Anyhoo, I adjusted some of my tone mapping settings and added a light to be my "sun" behind/above the camera. This is my result.

great work! Huge improvement!

Here is version e of my project for this month.

I like the addition of the extra personnel but I am getting a feeling of disconnect with your Lizardman.  He feels like an odd man out to me.  Perhaps a slight adjustment to his head, a tilt maybe, that indicates he is somehow engaged with the rest of the group?

carmenara said:

I just completed this piece on one of the massively detailed Urban Future sets which took weeks to complete, because of the sheer scale of this nighttime street scene. Unlike my previous renders I made the lighting from scratch and disabled the skybox. This gave me total control over tone and lighting and it was a great learning experience. 

4K image attached below.

A really nicely set up scene.  I cannot think of anything to suggest.

daybird said:

First concept, but I have my trouble to get a moonlight atmosphere with the sun-sky setting in Iray render.

It is quite dark.  Do you have any Iray God Ray props?  Have you tried playing with the Tone Map settings?

• AloreeaAloreea Posts: 285
    snoopzone said:
    Aloreea said:

great work! Huge improvement!

Thanks alot! also thank you for the suggestions!

HighElf said:

New Month, new Project.

As a big Fan of Big Monsters (Kaijus) I wanted something similar for my Wallpaper Folder. :) Till now its pure WIP. No Postwork and experimenting with the Settins of the Sun. Currently I play with Shaders, to learn, how they work. Do someone know a good Videotutorial for them?

"Oh Sch..."

Software: DAZ 4,9

Model: Elizabeth for V8, SubDragonLE

DAZ has a You Tube channel with videos on Iray.  It is here.  Hopefully you will find them helpful.

Thank you for your very kind comments, Garret R! I wish I could take credit for the pose but it comes from the pose pack Intimate Dance from i13: https://www.daz3d.com/i13-intimate-dance-for-the-genesis-3-female-s-and-genesis-3-male-s  I just adjusted the heads a bit and added the expressions to get the scene I was going for 

I also turned on the architectural sampler since I forgot to do that before. Don't know if it helps with this pic but I feel like the shadows are a bit better now.

Pose sets are a great starting point but they almost always need tweaking. 

And getting a good expression on your characters can be a challenge all on it's own. Nicely done.

Aloreea said:

I like the adjusment you made to her pose.  Now we can see her face. 

sueya said:

I tried using Iray to render my image and this is what I got after 2 hours. I think I would prefer to use 3Delight.

Please can you give me some tips for making the rain more realistic using 3Delight.

I am useless in 3Delight but I have asked one of the other CV's to see if she can give you some advice.

snoopzone said:

My second contribution this month: STAY.

My second Studio, honestly my first serious attempt.

Sphere by myself made with Blender.
    Environment is a mixture of my selfmade Showroom (Blender + Hexagon) and backdrop by ThePhilosopher.

Model is Stephanie 6, hair is Toulouse, wardrobe is daz original. Male model is daz original.

Rendered with 3Delight.

Post production: paint.NET

He doesn't look too happy being trapped in that bubble.  I like the look of wonder your female figure has on her face.

edited August 2017
    sueya said:

I would say go with the render engine you perfer. If you like the Iray version go with it. As far as the rain is concerned, add it post or search the internet for 'Rain textures' or 'Rain transparancy map textures', etc. (you get the idea). Create you a opacity map and stick them both on a plane. There is also this product:

https://www.daz3d.com/render-sphere-for-daz-studio

For realistic rain, you dont see the rain drop. even in a sprinkle. It mostly appears as dashed lines. The number one thing you can do is look for reference photos, again using the internet.

I LIKE YOUR PIC BY THE WAY! wink

Hope this helps!

Post edited by GarrettDR on
  • LinwellyLinwelly Posts: 5,929
    edited August 2017
    sueya said:

there is a short tutorial on using planes with diverse self made images in my thread, here https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/1654176/#Comment_1654176 ; Main topic is atmosphere but I mention rain there as well, I used Gimp to make those textures for the planes and this is a 3delight render using this technique to make rain

edit to say: there is some postwork in this image but the rain is completely renderd (including the rainbow ;))

Raindance.png
    1697 x 2400 - 6M
    Post edited by Linwelly on
  • social_stigmasocial_stigma Posts: 107
    edited August 2017
    daybird said:

It is quite dark.  Do you have any Iray God Ray props?  Have you tried playing with the Tone Map settings?

@Daybird - in addition to the tone mapping settings, you can adjust Environment Intensity. for darker scenes i usually drop it down to 0.1 to 0.3  and then fill in with other lights as needed. (hint: you can also adjust the strength of individual lights in the Surfaces tab). 

lots of ways to play around. 

Post edited by social_stigma on