August 2017 – DAZ 3D New User Challenge – Free Month

Comments

• Kismet2012Kismet2012 Posts: 4,252

After grabbing the new genesis 8 male figure I had to try and bring him into the crew.

You're crew is looking good Shinji.

• HighElfHighElf Posts: 326
    edited August 2017

Okay. Seems that I aren't capable of handling the flow of the hair. So I had to work around this problem by pose the hair in a totally different way. Also I did a littl bit more Postwork in GIMP, just to get the hang of it. :) Also I had this time a few fireflies, hop I gor rid of all of them.

So I hope you al like the new version og "Ein schöner Morgen"

(Please remember to limit the width of your image to 800 px. ~Mod)

NewbieContest_FreeMonth_03_02.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 985K
    Post edited by Cris Palomino on
  • The Inner CircleThe Inner Circle Posts: 224
    edited August 2017

Shaya Takes Flight To Greet The New Day

4 week newbie user of Daz3D (using 4.9). I called this picture Shaya Takes Flight To Greet The New Day. Very happy to listen to suggestions/advise to help me improve my work. I feel I have come a fair way in a short time with the help of the Daz3d community and I can only hope I can continue to improve. Any feedback welcomed.

(Please remember to limit the width of your image to 800 px. We would also suggest not setting to left as it messed up the text. ~Mod)

Shaya Takes Flight To Greet The New Day.jpg
    2560 x 1440 - 2M
    Post edited by Cris Palomino on
    edited August 2017

Nice work all - as a fellow newbie it is nice to see others taking their first tentative steps in daz3d and 3d in general. Its also nice to not walk alone (and have other help you when you stumble, thanks experienced users).

DW

Post edited by The Inner Circle on
  • GarrettDRGarrettDR Posts: 229
    dw191062 said:

4 week newbie user of Daz3D (using 4.9). I called this picture Shaya Takes Flight To Greet The New Day. Very happy to listen to suggestions/advise to help me improve my work. I feel I have come a fair way in a short time with the help of the Daz3d community and I can only hope I can continue to improve. Any feedback welcomed.

Beautiful scene! You can always go through the previous subjects of this years, 'New Users Contests and Events' as a sort of check list and see if any of these will add to your scene. 

Don't forget to look at previous themed contests where information and hints are available.

So far this year we have covered the following topics:

Composition "...compositional guidelines (are used) to make our pieces more appealing and invite the viewer to look around your image as you intended."

Lighting "The presense of light or the lack thereof are elements that provide us with the ability to believe the world we are looking at.", "Your ability to control, where, how much, and what kind of light is used in the image that will make a well composed image become exceptional."

Posing Does your pose look natural and authentic or stiff and forced?

Action & Props Her action seems to be as if she is looking at something off camera. My first question is, "What is she looking at?"

Scenes and Landscapes You have this one nailed! But you could think about this, "There are some key elements that should be considered when creating a landscape, they are the inspiration, lighting, perspective and depth of focus."

Portrait Rendering "Expressions should convey their personality. Good lighting will enhance your portrait and set the mood."

A picture is worth a thousand words. How many words does your image tell? I think you have an excellent start. I would say play with your lighting and maybe turn her focus to something in the scene.

edited August 2017
    dw191062 said:

Beautiful scene! You can always go through the previous subjects of this years, 'New Users Contests and Events' as a sort of check list and see if any of these will add to your scene. 

Don't forget to look at previous themed contests where information and hints are available.

So far this year we have covered the following topics:

Composition "...compositional guidelines (are used) to make our pieces more appealing and invite the viewer to look around your image as you intended."

Lighting "The presense of light or the lack thereof are elements that provide us with the ability to believe the world we are looking at.", "Your ability to control, where, how much, and what kind of light is used in the image that will make a well composed image become exceptional."

Posing Does your pose look natural and authentic or stiff and forced?

Action & Props Her action seems to be as if she is looking at something off camera. My first question is, "What is she looking at?"

Scenes and Landscapes You have this one nailed! But you could think about this, "There are some key elements that should be considered when creating a landscape, they are the inspiration, lighting, perspective and depth of focus."

Portrait Rendering "Expressions should convey their personality. Good lighting will enhance your portrait and set the mood."

A picture is worth a thousand words. How many words does your image tell? I think you have an excellent start. I would say play with your lighting and maybe turn her focus to something in the scene.

Thanks for the response Garrett. I will go back through the previous competitions to see where I can improve. As far as her focus goes she is supposed to be looking off camera/out of scene as she is flying up to greet the sun starting a new day. I will play with getting her to look up more to show her focus is sky bound. Thanks for the advise, always welcomed.

David

• Shinji Ikari 9thShinji Ikari 9th Posts: 1,170
    edited August 2017

Changed the newest member of the crew's weaponry, and used rawart's massive morph set to put some meat on his bones.

august2017i.png
    1092 x 872 - 2M
    Post edited by Shinji Ikari 9th on
  • Looking good Shinji though we can no longer see the cyber implant on your lizard crew member (which I thought was a great touch).

DW

• dw191062 said:

Looking good Shinji though we can no longer see the cyber implant on your lizard crew member (which I thought was a great touch).

DW

If you look closely you can see a bit of the hud on lizardman's implant, unfortunatly as kismet pointed out when he was still facing more forwards, he was somewhat disconnected from the rest of the group that I had at the time, so I'd turned his head in the direction of the others and opened his mouth so it appeared as if he was barking something over his shoulder at the rest of the group, but wasn't able to keep from mostly hiding the hud implant in the process.  The reasion that he only has the one is that he was blinded in the one eye that we do see before he had the implant that he has put in.  Seeing as how he still needs the use of his eye to read the hud, why whould he have one installed over an eye that he can no longer use?

edited August 2017

Updated image based on feedback and help received here.

1. Tightened the image to focus more on Shaya to remove a lot of the ruins background as a distraction and to improve seeing the details on the figure.

2. Added better expression on Shaya to show the wonder which causes her to fly towards the dawn. Also tilted the head/neck up so she focuses more on the sun rather than some random place off screen.

3. Added a plane primitive with an emmisive light source to give the sun's location better definition to match where Shaya is looking.

4. Relaxed some of the joints on the arms and legs to make the pose look more relaxed and natural. 

Will imbed the picture in the post once the the save determines the final file name.

I just wanted to take this time to thank those that commented/helped/pointed me in the direction of new learning resources. I look forward to the day where I can hopefully share what I have learned here with others just starting their journey.

David

Shaya Takes Flight To Greet The New Day Updated.jpg
    2560 x 1440 - 2M
  • NoswenNoswen Posts: 358
    edited August 2017

Next iteration has the laser bolt using the point at function so it should now be travelling in a straight line and the main character's pose changed a little to be more hunched, leaning slightly away from the laser bolt, looking towards it, and now having an expression.

Escape 5.jpg
    618 x 1000 - 94K
    Post edited by Noswen on
  • daybirddaybird Posts: 648
    edited August 2017
    Noswen said:

Next iteration has the laser bolt using the point at function so it should now be travelling in a straight line and the main character's pose changed a little to be more hunched, leaning slightly away from the laser bolt, looking towards it, and now having an expression.

What I miss is the reason why the guards hunt her? Mabye she should hold something in her hand, or fire back. 
    The other thing that distract me, is her skin who poke through her dress. You should increase the collision iteration at the dress to avoid this.

Post edited by daybird on
    daybird said:
    Noswen said:

What I miss is the reason why the guards hunt her? Mabye she should hold something in her hand, or fire back. 
    The other thing that distract me, is her skin who poke through her dress. You should increase the collision iteration at the dress to avoid this.

Thanks, definitely liking the idea of making her be holding somethng. I'm trying out the collision iteration setting in some tests renders now, started increasing slowly because I'm expecting there's a downside to increasing this number or the default wouldn't be three. Got up to 20 with no appreciable difference though, what sort of number would you think is typical, or is it a case by case basis?

Failing that I might see if there's something in the shaping tab I can use on the clothes to fix it.

Noswen said:
    daybird said:
    Noswen said:

Thanks, definitely liking the idea of making her be holding somethng. I'm trying out the collision iteration setting in some tests renders now, started increasing slowly because I'm expecting there's a downside to increasing this number or the default wouldn't be three. Got up to 20 with no appreciable difference though, what sort of number would you think is typical, or is it a case by case basis?

Failing that I might see if there's something in the shaping tab I can use on the clothes to fix it.

Maybe you could hide some of her bodyparts (chest) to avoid the pokes.

daybird said:
    Noswen said:
    daybird said:
    Noswen said:

Maybe you could hide some of her bodyparts (chest) to avoid the pokes.

The chest? That hole is part of the outfit I'm pretty sure unless there's something I'm missing. The poke throughs I'm looking at are on the right arm and the left leg.

Also, you can hide individual body parts?! surprise I've never even considered that!

edited August 2017

And thanks to daybird for the suggestions. A little container of unknown substance is now being liberated or stolen depending on your point of view, and hiding body parts instantly took care of the leg and arm poke through issues.

Escape 6.jpg
    618 x 1000 - 95K
    Post edited by Noswen on
    edited August 2017
    Noswen said:
    daybird said:
    Noswen said:
    daybird said:
    Noswen said:

The chest? That hole is part of the outfit I'm pretty sure unless there's something I'm missing. 

Lol, stupid me. Holes in Women-outfits is a must have ...how could I forget that.wink

But now the whole scene looks more logical and the little container is a real eye catcher.

daybird said:
    Noswen said:
    daybird said:
    Noswen said:
    daybird said:
    Noswen said:

The chest? That hole is part of the outfit I'm pretty sure unless there's something I'm missing. 

Lol, stupid me. Holes in Women-outfits is a must have ...how could I forget that.wink

But now the whole scene looks more logical and the little container is a real eye catcher.

Heh, it was the only outfit I had that fit the theme, so I had little choice :-)

dw191062 said:

1. Tightened the image to focus more on Shaya to remove a lot of the ruins background as a distraction and to improve seeing the details on the figure.

2. Added better expression on Shaya to show the wonder which causes her to fly towards the dawn. Also tilted the head/neck up so she focuses more on the sun rather than some random place off screen.

3. Added a plane primitive with an emmisive light source to give the sun's location better definition to match where Shaya is looking.

4. Relaxed some of the joints on the arms and legs to make the pose look more relaxed and natural. 

Will imbed the picture in the post once the the save determines the final file name.

I just wanted to take this time to thank those that commented/helped/pointed me in the direction of new learning resources. I look forward to the day where I can hopefully share what I have learned here with others just starting their journey.

David

Nicely done.  The light on the ruins imply the sunrise and the start of a new day.  Relaxing poses is a bit fiddly but well worth the effort.

Noswen said:

And thanks to daybird for the suggestions. A little container of unknown substance is now being liberated or stolen depending on your point of view, and hiding body parts instantly took care of the leg and arm poke through issues.

Hiding body parts, where possible, to deal with poke through is my preferred method.  I am glad Daybird suggested the addition of a prop.  It really makes the whole story of the scene.  Well done.

dw191062 said:

Looking good Shinji though we can no longer see the cyber implant on your lizard crew member (which I thought was a great touch).

DW

If you look closely you can see a bit of the hud on lizardman's implant, unfortunatly as kismet pointed out when he was still facing more forwards, he was somewhat disconnected from the rest of the group that I had at the time, so I'd turned his head in the direction of the others and opened his mouth so it appeared as if he was barking something over his shoulder at the rest of the group, but wasn't able to keep from mostly hiding the hud implant in the process.  The reasion that he only has the one is that he was blinded in the one eye that we do see before he had the implant that he has put in.  Seeing as how he still needs the use of his eye to read the hud, why whould he have one installed over an eye that he can no longer use?

Changing poses/positions and then losing sight of something happens to me all the time.  I can spend hours posing a hand just right then pick a camera angle where all that hard works doesn't show.  frown

dw191062 said:

David

Nicely done.  The light on the ruins imply the sunrise and the start of a new day.  Relaxing poses is a bit fiddly but well worth the effort.

I think all your efforts and hard work has paid off David! Looks really, really nice!

edited August 2017

After I recognize a empty spot in my render I had to do another one, with some adjustments.

Freedom after Bloodlust final.jpg
    2560 x 1440 - 972K

I have taken this pic as far as I can. All suggestions and comments are welcome. No post work, except signature, as I like to try to get as much out of DAZ Studio as I can. Plus, I'm not very good with Photoshop! Thanks!

Title: "Knowing Where You Been"

Software used:

DAZ Studio Pro (64-bit) 4.9.4.122

Hexagon 2.5

LithUnwrap

Paint Shop Pro 7

Model: FWSA Zarina HD for Genesis 3 Female(s)

TS Shirt: Trend Setter Outfit for Genesis 3 Female(s)

Dress: Workday Dress 2 for Genesis 2 Female(s)

Ring and Bracelet: FWSA Ginnifer HD for Victoria 7 and her Jewelry

Hair: Rikki Hair for Genesis 2 Female(s)

Car: Car Roland & Car Roland Iray Addon

Shaders:

Paint and Suede Shaders

Home Style 2 Iray Shaders

Leather and Fur Iray Shaders

Self-created models (Hexagon 2.5):

Ear rings, Purse, wallet, Lipstick, Pen, Kleenex, Gum Package, Phone, and bullets

Car edits: Driver seat pushed back, removed original glove box door, added glove box, and restructured windows created new uvs for console, and seats

House edits: remapped windows

House: Free on www.cgtrader.com created by PaulWall

Colt Python 357: https://www.cgtrader.com/free-3d-models/military/gun/colt-python-8-inch created by alpenwolf

KWYB_sig_nopost_DAZ.jpg
    2560 x 1440 - 657K

I have taken this pic as far as I can. All suggestions and comments are welcome. No post work, except signature, as I like to try to get as much out of DAZ Studio as I can. Plus, I'm not very good with Photoshop! Thanks!

Software used:

Hexagon 2.5

LithUnwrap

Paint Shop Pro 7

Shaders:

Paint and Suede Shaders

Ear rings, Purse, wallet, Lipstick, Pen, Kleenex, Gum Package, Phone, and bullets

Car edits: Driver seat pushed back, removed original glove box door, added glove box, and restructured windows created new uvs for console, and seats

Colt Python 357: https://www.cgtrader.com/free-3d-models/military/gun/colt-python-8-inch created by alpenwolf

Amazingsurprise

daybird said:

Software used:

Hexagon 2.5

LithUnwrap

Paint Shop Pro 7

Shaders:

Paint and Suede Shaders

Amazingsurprise

Seconded! yes

Software used:

Hexagon 2.5

LithUnwrap

Paint Shop Pro 7

Shaders:

Paint and Suede Shaders

Really well done Garrett.  The only thing I can nit pick is the barrel of the gun.  I am not sure if it is intersecting the car's console or if it is just the reflection of the console in the shiney gun barrel.

Thanks for the compliments guys! Good catch Kismet2012! I really wanted to say it was the reflection but I had to check and you were absolutely right. I remember spending extra time on her hand and I guess I totally overlooked that.

Capture.PNG
    496 x 362 - 216K
    edited August 2017

No real changes as such for this, just increased the render quality to reduce the noise on the image a little, not that you can easily tell unless you zoom in. Unexpectedly reduced the file size by about 25% as well. My final change as the end of the month is drawing in.

Escape 7.jpg
    618 x 1000 - 70K
    Post edited by Noswen on

I adjusted the pistol off of the cosole but in the new render, it still looks the same because of the reflection. I also added a light to the glove box but it looks odd to me. Any suggestions or comments?

test.jpg
    2592 x 1458 - 723K