Babies, Cats and Dogs, please

Now those are the things we don't have up to date.

Comments

• VueiyVueiy Posts: 530

True.  Baby 8, lol.  Seriously, though, while the "Growing Up" sets are nice for at least having kids, there's not much to be done about infants.  And with the new Iray Catalyzer for LAMH, I've been itching to slap some cats and dogs in my scenes.  For now, Wolf 2.0 can substitute for most dogs, but I don't know that the Big Cat 2 will translate well to a housecat...

• Babies and toddlers, yes.  Growing Up for Genesis 1, 2, 3, and 8 are good for age 5 to early-adult... but there's nothing for age 0 to 4.

• VueiyVueiy Posts: 530
    edited September 2017

True dat, lol.  I once had to morph the heck outta Genesis Baby to make an unborn child, and I still don't think I got the proportions quite right; fetal development sizes would be nice...

Mother_Child_01_01_pw_C_smaller.jpg
    2000 x 2828 - 954K
    Post edited by Vueiy on
  • LlynaraLlynara Posts: 4,770

Yes, please! The perpetual request for all of the above! They are definitely needed. 

• Someone knows if they are coming?

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,389

AM is supposedly working on new cats and dogs. There's also a new cat available on another site, and the same provider is working on a dog.

I wouldn't hold my breath for babies and small children as official base shapes, given that the last ones were for Genesis 1. Those have been reported as poor sellers many times, so they're less likely to be produced again.

• Considering every DAZ/Poser baby has been scary as $%&# I'm not surprised they sell poorly.
  • Considering every DAZ/Poser baby has been scary as $%&# I'm not surprised they sell poorly.

Working with something that small (length of the human forearm or so) at a reasonable polycount is a royal pain in the rear if you want to get any decent detail.

• I would think a reasonable polycount would be the same as the adult figures.
  • I would think a reasonable polycount would be the same as the adult figures.

That's my point; 17,000 polys (approximately what G8 has) is much harder to work with in a very small model like a baby than it is in the larger models.

• 3WC3WC Posts: 1,102
    I would think a reasonable polycount would be the same as the adult figures.

That's my point; 17,000 polys (approximately what G8 has) is much harder to work with in a very small model like a baby than it is in the larger models.

Couldn't they make it bigger then scale it down? Or just zoom in?

• vwranglervwrangler Posts: 4,871
    wwes said:
    I would think a reasonable polycount would be the same as the adult figures.

Couldn't they make it bigger then scale it down? Or just zoom in?

The problem is the rigging and structure. The legs of Genesis 3, at least, tend to crumple when they're scaled down that small, which I found out when I tried to scale down to make a baby that was supposed to be only a month old, using a combination of Genesis Baby and Growing Up and scaling. Found charts and statistics with average sizes and proportions and everything. Never doing THAT again. (As for the mesh issues, there's a reason why the baby in this image is all covered up -- apart from the fact that she probably would be anyway, what with people wearing clothes and all. But her legs will never be seen by humankind! Arms, oddly, did mostly OK.)

Something as small as a baby would have to be a custom sculpt, and then it would have massive numbers of correcting morphs and whatnot to keep that crumpling from happening. It would be a huge amount of work for something that would sell about 20 copies on initial release.

• Size doesn't affect crumpling. This is a very weird justification. G8 100 meters high bends exactly the same as G8 10 centimeters high. Yes of course there would have to be rerigging to some extent as with any extreme morph.
  • Vueiy said:

True.  Baby 8, lol.  Seriously, though, while the "Growing Up" sets are nice for at least having kids, there's not much to be done about infants.  And with the new Iray Catalyzer for LAMH, I've been itching to slap some cats and dogs in my scenes.  For now, Wolf 2.0 can substitute for most dogs, but I don't know that the Big Cat 2 will translate well to a housecat...

I love that I've been doing that very same thing.. and Horse 2 still looks beautiful but a lot of material updates are needed now that we have the 8th wonder.  I haven't been able to get LAMH to work with iray... too much of a memory hog, crashes every time and I've long since even uninstalled all versions including my paid full version.

Now that we have the adults... we definately need Baby 8 to have all those cute and cuddly family pictures in our perfect avatar life.

• jestmartjestmart Posts: 4,449

A baby isn't just a scaled down adult, there are major changes in proportions in which the arms and legs are not just short but down right stubby.  These changes in proportions compresses the edge loops far more than just scaling.  

• jestmart said:

A baby isn't just a scaled down adult, there are major changes in proportions in which the arms and legs are not just short but down right stubby.  These changes in proportions compresses the edge loops far more than just scaling.  

If George can be a thing a baby can be a thing.

George's proportion, length of arms and legs, are not that different from the base, unlike a baby.

• Zev0Zev0 Posts: 7,064
    Ye biggest issue is edge loop compression. You can however get around that by sculpting at 100% and add reduce scale dial as part of morph preset. But the biggest issue is demand for an infant or toddler:)
  • jestmart said:

George's proportion, length of arms and legs, are not that different from the base, unlike a baby.

George is also based on the exact same mesh as G3M/G8M is, whereas what they seem to be asking for is a separate mesh entirely with its own quirks and requirements.

• jestmart said:

The difference in a baby's limb proportions is not nearly as extreme as you're thinking. https://commons.m.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Human_development_neoteny_body_and_head_proportions_pedomorphy_maturation_aging_growth.png

A crude copy of a chart from a book from 1921 isn't a compelling argument.  The head is too big, the torso and arms too long and the legs are just a bit too short.

• If you find an updated growth chart let me know. The point is 20 percent limb length give or take a little certainly doesn't break characters.
  • If you find an updated growth chart let me know. The point is 20 percent limb length give or take a little certainly doesn't break characters.

If this was totally accurate, Zev0 wouldn't have stopped at age five with his Growing Up morphs. That he did is indication to me that the additional work needed wasn't worth the time investment that would be needed.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    If you find an updated growth chart let me know. The point is 20 percent limb length give or take a little certainly doesn't break characters.

From someone who has actually made a baby (https://www.sharecg.com/v/86513/view/21/DAZ-Studio/Genesis-Baby) the limb lengths ARE a royal pain in the posterior.

• I suspect our best bet is for someone to make a new body mesh for age 0 to 5, -- say, calling it Tot 7 and Tot 8 -- and then make a body-clone of that to match it up to the Growing Up 5 year old, so that someone who wanted to adapt, say, a G3M 5 year old and age him down to 3 could have it convert the morphologies of the G3M 5 year old character over onto the Tot7 5 year old, then dial it down from that to keep the character appearances intact on Tot 7.

The 'best' platform for a baby, if not made from a brand new mesh, is Genesis 1.  That eliminates a number of other problems not hit upon when, so far, when trying to use an existing mesh as the base. 

Then there is the problem of next to no content, because very little existing clothing will work...or even be worth trying to make work.

If this was totally accurate, Zev0 wouldn't have stopped at age five with his Growing Up morphs. That he did is indication to me that the additional work needed wasn't worth the time investment that would be needed.

It seems already impossible to make a good looking baby head (I've never seen one) let alone a morph that applies to existing adult characters so yes very much not worth the time investment. Youth morphs already fall apart at child stage for a lot of characters.
  • Well, I don't think its as much a case of "not worth the time invested" so much as... there's probably a much better way that involves a seperate mesh body made from the ground up to be age 0 to age 5, since pretty much any morph below age 5 in the various regular Genesis bodies I assume probably simply disorts too much.  But yeah, we DO need a high-quality age 0 to 5 character in the modern system.  But there also needs to be an easy way to transition the attributes over from any arbitrary Genesis-based growing-up morphs character onto this other character, so that familiy resemblances and whatnot can be maintained.

Short of the Daz team doing it...which they've pretty much decided not to, since the last official baby was back in the V3/M3 days, it isn't worth doing, especially from scratch. 

Think about this...my attempt at a baby, which, is a free morph for a free base figure, has only had about 500 downloads in over half a year.  It took me quite a long time to do the morph.  From scratch it would probably be a couple of hundred hours (minimum).  Those numbers don't instill any confidence in the ability of a from scratch baby to actually break even in a reasonable amount of time.

• I forget, is that M baby locked into ONLY being a baby, or for that matter into only from baby to one-year-old?  Or does it let you dial it up in age to 4 and 5 years old?  If its ONLY capabable of being a newborn to a baby (i.e up 6 MONTHS old or a year), then I could imagine why it might not be selling as well as it otherwise would, since there's probably not THAT much call for a baby-ONLY character.  If its something that can be dialed from age 0 all the way up to age 5, though, then you'd probably have a lot more interest, since there clearly ARE a lot of people who want very-early-kindergarten-age characters.