Babies, Cats and Dogs, please

2»

Comments

• DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,175
    edited September 2017

Judging by how many downloads there have been of Baby Luna-related items from my site's freebies section, I'd have to say that there is more desire than you think.  My site doesn't get nearly the activity of the DAZ site.  Nearly everyone who has registered since the release of Baby Luna has downloaded the Baby Luna stuff, and quite of few of those who registered in years past.

And MJC1016, remember there was the Baby Genesis here, by Adam Thwaites.  (But nothing but toddlers and above for newer base figures.)

Dana

Post edited by DanaTA on
  • Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,961

A baby and a two year old are very different.

so yeah, given how much work is involved and the lack of market? I can understand why nobody has done it

• mjc1016 said:

Think about this...my attempt at a baby, which, is a free morph for a free base figure, has only had about 500 downloads in over half a year.

I am willing to bet that's because your baby's head has the patented 3D Scary Look like all the previous baby attempts...sorry.

• mjc1016 said:

Think about this...my attempt at a baby, which, is a free morph for a free base figure, has only had about 500 downloads in over half a year.

I am willing to bet that's because your baby's head has the patented 3D Scary Look like all the previous baby attempts...sorry.

If you think you can do better, please show us how. :)

• mjc1016 said:

Nope. I'm convinced a 3D baby head at least from given bases is actually impossible to make. NO one has done it which is a pretty good indication.

• mjc1016 said:

Nope. I'm convinced a 3D baby head at least from given bases is actually impossible to make. NO one has done it which is a pretty good indication.

Okay, what specifically do you think is wrong, since a collaboration between an artist and someone with 20+ years of experience with infants isn't good enough for you?

• agent unawaresagent unawares Posts: 3,513
    edited September 2017
    mjc1016 said:

Okay, what specifically do you think is wrong, since a collaboration between an artist and someone with 20+ years of experience with infants isn't good enough for you?

With DAZ baby heads? They just don't look like human infants. Not even really like the cutesy doll look. I think Adam Thwaites was one of the closest so far. If I could pin down what exactly was wrong I'd try to fix it.

It could be a lack of appropriate textures for baby faces; it could be there are not enough polygons to create something essential to a baby's facial structure; it could be something about the eyes as people seem to pick up on them a lot; it could be that the skull shape is left too close to an adult skull; it could be that expressions designed for adults simply do not work on babies; it could be that there is often a pronounced asymmetry in real baby faces and our brains miss it more than with adults; it could even be that because humans are hardwired to feel a certain emotional response towards a baby the uncanny valley effect is kicking in at a wider range. I suspect all of these things contribute to a certain extent.

If you look around you will note that this difficulty with human babies is not at all confined to DAZ and Poser models but crops up elsewhere. And if you care to take a gander around baby model threads you will note the theme of "creepy" recurs in a way it does not with adult figures. I don't think it is necessarily a lack of ability in an artist so much as there is just something missing nobody has been able to hit.

ETA: mouth size just hit me. It's usually way too narrow on default, and too defined.

Post edited by agent unawares on
  • Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,961

A lot of the babies end up with harsh features, weirdly narrow/pointy chins.

• Tanis VoltaTanis Volta Posts: 550
    edited September 2017

AM had a dog screenshot as in their work since August 2016 on his website and FB, do you think we are close to his dog release?

Post edited by Tanis Volta on