Drawing animation

JamyJamy Posts: 192
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

Hi,

I would like to animate a pencil drawing something on a pace of paper.

Someone could tell me the best way to do that ?

1°) One object for each images ?

2°) Change the texture of my paper ?
(But I don't find how I could make it)

Thank you for the help

Jamy

Drawing.jpg
1411 x 1198 - 269K

Comments

• ManStanManStan Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

The pencil would be easy enough to animate, just key frames and tweeners, But having the pencil "draw" on the paper may be the hard part. Not sure how you would do it other then render out as sequined images and use a photo editor or paint app to put in the pencil makes.

• JamyJamy Posts: 192
    edited December 1969

@ManStan, I must done a 15 seconds animation, so it's 360 images … big stuff !

I think the only way is to change the paper for each images and the try to put the pencil at the good place to follow the draw.

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326
    edited December 1969

I would use Project Dogwaffle: Howler to animate the drawing from blank to full. Watch the tutorials and pick a method you want to use - as there's a bunch of ways to do it.
    Then map that animation onto the pad in Carrara and follow the animated lines with the pencil along the timeline.

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

How proficient are you with post-work and what video editing software do you use and does it support alpha channels and masks?

edited December 1969

@Dartanbeck
    Thanck you for you help. A lot of things on this place !
    I'll go to search a good way there (I hope find it)

edited December 1969

@evilproducer
    Thank you to.
    Sorry, I'm a dummy in post-work :(

I "work" with iMovie but It's only for very simple jobs.

Don't laugh pleased

edited December 1969

Dartanbeck,

excuse me for my poor english, it's not my born language. I read a second time you suggestion and I've a new question :
    How could I map an animation on my pad ?
    Animated texture ?

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

@evilproducer
    Thank you to.

Don't laugh pleased

No worries! I've used iMovie plenty of times.

What do you have for an image editor? Photoshop? GIMP? Photoshop Elements?

edited December 1969

Dartanbeck,

excuse me for my poor english, it's not my born language. I read a second time you suggestion and I've a new question :
    Animated texture ?

yes. In the "Color" channel of the shader, set it to "texture map" and you may apply sequenced image animations or avi files as a map, just like a usual image! :)
    I love Carrara! ;-)

Oh... and by the way. Your English is just fine.

edited December 1969

But Project Dogwaffle Pro: Howler only works for Windows, not MacOS. :shut:
    Not sure why... but we don't have the latest version yet, here at Daz3d. If you do have a Windows machine, you should definitely check out their Home Page: The Best 3d. It's amazing what all you can do with it and how much free training they have at their site.
    It can also open your animations for post work!

• McGuiverMcGuiver Posts: 219
    edited December 1969

I have not tried this yet, but....it may just work.

Using the free stains primitive plugin from Sparrowhawk.
    http://www.sparrowhawke3d.com/Sparrowhawke3DLaboratory.html

The pencil could be moved around by a motion path... drawing by using a mixer in the papers shader, dependent on the proximity of the pencils tip to the paper.

I may try this when I have time this eve.

• RoygeeRoygee Posts: 2,247
    edited December 1969

Maybe try something like this?

Pencil on a path with the tip emitting blurred metalball particles:)

http://youtu.be/uobZLv8zSPw

edited December 1969

Dartanbeck,

Animated texture ?

yes. In the "Color" channel of the shader, set it to "texture map" and you may apply sequenced image animations or avi files as a map, just like a usual image! :)
    I love Carrara! ;-)

Yoo !

it's a revelation for me !
    I thought only static image could be use as map.
    I'll go to try it asap (tomorrow morning in fact, it's time for bed for me now)

edited December 1969

@evilproducer
    Thank you to.

Don't laugh pleased

No worries! I've used iMovie plenty of times.

What do you have for an image editor? Photoshop? GIMP? Photoshop Elements?

I have Photoshop (CS6) and Flash, so, 2D animation is not a problem

edited December 1969

McGuiver said:
    I have not tried this yet, but....it may just work.

Using the free stains primitive plugin from Sparrowhawk.
    http://www.sparrowhawke3d.com/Sparrowhawke3DLaboratory.html

The pencil could be moved around by a motion path... drawing by using a mixer in the papers shader, dependent on the proximity of the pencils tip to the paper.

I may try this when I have time this eve.

I don't know if sparrowhawke3d is available on Mac (?)

edited December 1969

:-)

I love Carrara also

Big fun, good job

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964
    edited April 2013

Hello

try t his

in PS make a graduated blend from black to white
    save the texture
    In carrara apply it to a plane
    animate the plane so that it moves across the camera field from black to white (or vice versa)
    make the time of movement the equivalent of hos long you need to animate the writing
    render your avi of this moving plane

make a new scene with your pencil and paper
    make two textures for the paper - one texture as a blank page, the other texture with the complete writing

in the shader room use these textures as the parameters in a mix operator in the colour section of the paper's shader

take the resulting avi from the first step and use it in the blender section of your paper's shader

should work by gradually revealing the writing - then all you have to do is organise a motion path for the pencil - hint - put the hot point on the tip of the pencil

Post edited by Headwax on
    edited December 1969

head wax said:
    Hello

try t his

in PS make a graduated blend from black to white
    save the texture
    In carrara apply it to a plane
    animate the plane so that it moves across the camera field from black to white (or vice versa)
    make the time of movement the equivalent of hos long you need to animate the writing
    render your avi of this moving plane

make a new scene with your pencil and paper
    make two textures for the paper - one texture as a blank page, the other texture with the complete writing

in the shader room use these textures as the parameters in a mix operator in the colour section of the paper's shader

take the resulting avi from the first step and use it in the blender section of your paper's shader

should work by gradually revealing the writing - then all you have to do is organise a motion path for the pencil - hint - put the hot point on the tip of the pencil

Thank you Head Wax.
    I'll go to try it. just not very cool with mix operator and blender section, but a good way to learn more and became a master Carrara ;)

edited December 1969

oh being good at Carrara indicates a misspent childhood :) so be careful :)

with that graduated avi - if it goes the wrong way you can probably choose to invert it - to swap the black to white and white to black

the Operator parameter in the shader room is actually pretty easy - just do it with wildly different colours (or black and white) at first then choose the paremater to go in the blend section at random - eg under natural you will see cellular etc - you can get some grrovey effects as they said in the sixties

for the blender you just need something which has a grey scale or black and white -

edited December 1969

head wax said:

with that graduated avi - if it goes the wrong way you can probably choose to invert it - to swap the black to white and white to black

the Operator parameter in the shader room is actually pretty easy - just do it with wildly different colours (or black and white) at first then choose the paremater to go in the blend section at random - eg under natural you will see cellular etc - you can get some grrovey effects as they said in the sixties

for the blender you just need something which has a grey scale or black and white -

Hi,

I've try you suggestion.

It's not rely what I was looking for, but it's GREAT !!!
    It's a very good solution for a translation from an image to an other one. Thank you for that.
    I show in attachments the texture (from white to jpg image) but in a first test, I've try from red to image and that work.
    Thank you for this tutorial :)

Texture(2).jpg
    1542 x 1084 - 280K
    Texture(1).jpg
    1540 x 1080 - 276K
    edited December 1969

Dartanbeck,

Animated texture ?

I love Carrara! ;-)

Hi Dartanbeck,

now, I'll go to try you solution :)

I think i'ts a good way for my work, because I must follow the draw with my pencil.
    So:
    1°) Make a movie with the draw
    2°) Use this movie as texture in carrara
    3°) Animation following the lines with my pen
    It looks simple like that … I'll tell you later if it's OK
    Thanks
    Jamy

edited December 1969

head wax said:

Hi,

I've try you suggestion.

It's not rely what I was looking for, but it's GREAT !!!
    It's a very good solution for a translation from an image to an other one. Thank you for that.
    I show in attachments the texture (from white to jpg image) but in a first test, I've try from red to image and that work.
    Thank you for this tutorial :)

pleasure :)

edited December 1969

ahh I just realised it would have to be a hard edge moving across the plane

so try two planes one above the other
    the top one black the bottom one white
    make an avi with one moving over the other so that grdaually the white one is fully exposed (or black one)
    that moving edge will be your changing transmap (alpha map)

renedr it without shadows too :)

edited December 1969

head wax said:
    ahh I just realised it would have to be a hard edge moving across the plane

so try two planes one above the other
    the top one black the bottom one white
    make an avi with one moving over the other so that grdaually the white one is fully exposed (or black one)
    that moving edge will be your changing transmap (alpha map)

renedr it without shadows too :)

Your first suggestion is not so bad, look at the result with the link.
    (the pencil is static, i will be beter in the futur

http://youtu.be/Nk_G1yunZxw

edited December 1969

cool :)

this is with my last suggestion - you can see the writing causn't my white/black in the alphamap avi wasn't pure enough

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPVxCUc2ZKY&feature=youtu.be

edited December 1969

head wax said:
    cool :)

this is with my last suggestion - you can see the writing causn't my white/black in the alphamap avi wasn't pure enough

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPVxCUc2ZKY&feature=youtu.be

So good !

It's like a mask with Flash (Adobe)

Sorry for you chilhood, but you are a master ;)

edited December 1969

[Hi Dartanbeck,

I think i'ts a good way for my work, because I must follow the draw with my pencil.
    So:
    Thanks
    Jamy

Cool. I'm thinking that for something like this, you don't just want an image to swipe into appearance. That is why I recommended Dogwaffle Howler if you have it. If not, you could get the oldest version that they sell for really cheap.

Before buying it though... you may already have something that would work this way.
    To illustrate how to do it, Dogwaffle developer have many video tutorials. I was trying to find just the right one. Sometimes what I'm looking for isn't the main title of the tutorial, but is explained somewhere within one of them. If I get more time today, I'll dig further to find just the right one.
    Otherwise, if YOU have some time, Go to my "Daily Dose" Playlist, and I think you want to start with video 11 and just watch for when he demonstrates how you can actually animate the drawing of lines and curves. (TIP: It's amazing how much extra you'll learn while watching - but you often have to be patient and watch several videos to find your new technique)

Here are some prices for the various, current versions for sale. For this you need Howler, I think. I know that "Artist" editions don NOT export animations. It's howler with animation removed. You see that Howler 1 (PD Pro Howler 6) is still sold for $10 US (they are international, though) which is amazing cheap. They do that because they know that many artists are often a bit low on funds! lol and they just want to help. Project Dogwaffle used to be free... but they put their lives into it, so needed to get something back. Roygee told me that the free version can animate. I've never tried it.
    I bought the Cool Creative Bundle, for only $59 US, and upgraded Howler to 8.2. The end price is the same as buying Howler 8.2 by itself, but you get Curvy 3d, Any FX (awesome animation filters!!!), Genetica, and all that stuff!!!

edited December 1969

[Hi Dartanbeck,

So:
    Thanks
    Jamy

Cool. I'm thinking that for something like this, you don't just want an image to swipe into appearance. That is why I recommended Dogwaffle Howler if you have it. If not, you could get the oldest version that they sell for really cheap.

Before buying it though... you may already have something that would work this way.
    To illustrate how to do it, Dogwaffle developer have many video tutorials. I was trying to find just the right one. Sometimes what I'm looking for isn't the main title of the tutorial, but is explained somewhere within one of them. If I get more time today, I'll dig further to find just the right one.
    Otherwise, if YOU have some time, Go to my "Daily Dose" Playlist, and I think you want to start with video 11 and just watch for when he demonstrates how you can actually animate the drawing of lines and curves. (TIP: It's amazing how much extra you'll learn while watching - but you often have to be patient and watch several videos to find your new technique)

Here are some prices for the various, current versions for sale. For this you need Howler, I think. I know that "Artist" editions don NOT export animations. It's howler with animation removed. You see that Howler 1 (PD Pro Howler 6) is still sold for $10 US (they are international, though) which is amazing cheap. They do that because they know that many artists are often a bit low on funds! lol and they just want to help. Project Dogwaffle used to be free... but they put their lives into it, so needed to get something back. Roygee told me that the free version can animate. I've never tried it.
    I bought the Cool Creative Bundle, for only $59 US, and upgraded Howler to 8.2. The end price is the same as buying Howler 8.2 by itself, but you get Curvy 3d, Any FX (awesome animation filters!!!), Genetica, and all that stuff!!!

You help was very helpful.
    I have to progres in my job now, and I'll take more time later to examinate you suggestion (I must read it many time befor understand all)

edited December 1969

You help was very helpful.
    I have to progres in my job now, and I'll take more time later to examinate you suggestion (I must read it many time befor understand all)

Sorry. I use many words I don't need. I talk like that too. If you have question, tell me.
    I can not speak any other language. Too hard. Maybe some day :)
    edited December 1969

Jamy,
    I Found the solution I wanted to show you!

Go to my "Daily Dose" Playlist, and scroll down to video 12 called: "Daily Dose 13 (0x0D) - Discovering Paths and brush strokes"

In the middle of video, he opens the 'Stroke Player'
    That is what will animate any stroke into frames automatically. So I would do this:

With blank scene, Click 'Animation > Create' and tell it how many seconds you want. probably only one second or less. Like 15 frames maybe.

Open Stroke Player and draw first stroke in the drawing. Store selection and put that to the side and then undo the drawing.
    Have Stroke Player make it animate across all frames.
    Save file to be safe.

Store that animation to a brush and put it to the side.
    Get the first stroke drawing and click on the stored image, This will make it show on the image window.
    Click 'Animation > Create' and tell it how many seconds you want.

Now draw the next stroke in the picture. Store selection and put that to the side and then undo the drawing.
    Save file to be safe.

Store that animation to a brush and put it to the side.
    Get the first stroke drawing and click on the stored image, This will make it show on the image window.
    Click 'Animation > Create' and tell it how many seconds you want.

Now draw the next stroke in the picture. Store selection and put that to the side and then undo the drawing.
    Save file to be safe.

Keep doing this until you have the picture finished.

You could skip steps in the middle and fade results in the final production. It depends on how much detail you need in the picture.

Another good example ofmaking animated pictures in Dogwaffle:
    Go to video 41 on the list called: "Daily Dose 24(a) - Spritesheets 101" and watch that.

There are many more ways. The top idea that I wrote out long, I think would work best. If you use pressure sensitivity either with a tablet, or using the curve tool, you could make it really cool too.

I think the curve tool can animate strokes the same way as Stroke player... which would be just as good.
    Just replace the method of using Stroke Player above, with the Using of curve tool.

I hope you read this okay.
    If you need help to understand parts... please tell me. Okay?

Good luck, Jamy.
    If you need me to animate picture for you, I might find time for that soon. Just tell me. :)