Luxus for Carrara alpha release available - Luxrender in Carrara

Comments

• wetcircuitwetcircuit Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

3drendero said:
    The new build should have a Edit-"Setup Luxrender path" that works when Luxus is selected for rendering.

That was one thing I missed...

Now I don't crash but I get a render that is full of yellow 1s...

Doc4.png
    640 x 480 - 3K
  • 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311
    edited December 1969

Hi Holly :)

In the PC version,. you can now select the location of your Luxrender application,. (EDIT / Setup LuxRender Path )

I've found that this doesn't always bring up a (browse for folder) window,. sometimes it does nothing.,. but, by adding some objects and then rendering (or trying to), then going back and trying Edit / setup etc.. ..it'll now bring up the "browse" window.

If that menu option isn't there in the mac version,. then it's possible that the "Luxrender" application folder,.. would need to be copied into the main Carrara folder.

Then it's a process of loading content and changing all the shaders to Lux surfaces,. and that's where it gets confusing,.. what Lux material types do, (how to work with Lux materials) and what Lux Textures are supposed to do,. (Most seem to have extremely few options)

Also the Lux Sky/Sun lighting systems seems to have no options to control the strength of the light, or colours of the sky etc.

We need doc's on how to work with all of these new options. but right now,.. there's a lot of trial and error.

hope some of that helps you :)

edited December 1969

Holly :)

I get that too now on the PC,.. One thing to chack is that you've set the Output to (current image) instead of Carrara's default movie export option.

normally,. I briefly see the render window (now with the first (yellow) core showing rendering) ..then it opens the Lux GUI

edited April 2013

Ok, I pointed the setup to the LuxRender app, and hitting render launches LuxRender and it appears to be working hard at rendering a completely black image...

I've stopped LuxRender's calculating but Carrara is still in a tailspin giving me the rainbow ball of death...

Scene contained a sphere and a plane (each with the basic Lux Matte shader applied and a color in the diffuse)

1 scene light changed to the Lux Projector....

I have to force quit Carrara now.... :/

EDIT**

Ok, inserting a Lux Sun is now doing something. Thanks for the help! At least I got it started... ;-)

Post edited by wetcircuit on
    edited December 1969

umm... now how do I get it to stop and give me back control of carrara?

• stu sutcliffestu sutcliffe Posts: 274
    edited December 1969

Watching this thread with interest... I read that Carrara hair would be hard/impossible to impliment ,but I see hair in a couple of pics above? What gives?
    If it can do hair I will jump in!

• EddyMI3DEddyMI3D Posts: 365
    edited December 1969

ProPose said:
    EddyMI said:
    Hi there,

does someone know how to change the folder of the LuxRender.exe file within LuxRender?

Eddy

I'm sorry.......but Why would you want to do that?
    Because I took the wrong/older one

edited December 1969

EddyMI said:
    Hi there,

does someone know how to change the folder of the LuxRender.exe file within LuxRender?

Eddy

For the Mac, you will have to wait for the build at the end of this week.

For Win, make sure Luxus is the active renderer, switch back to Assembly room and then do Menu -> Edit -> Setup LuxRender Path
    Thank you for that information

Eddy

edited December 1969

Sorry, I keep going through the discussion but don't find an answer. Once you stop LuxRender, do any of you regain control of Carrara? Is there a way to continue to use Carrara without force quitting?

edited December 1969

Sorry, I keep going through the discussion but don't find an answer. Once you stop LuxRender, do any of you regain control of Carrara? Is there a way to continue to use Carrara without force quitting?

After starting the Lux Render Engine, I can work on with Carrara. No Problem with me.
    So stoping/closing the Lux Render Engine does not take away the control from Carrara.

Eddy

edited December 1969

EddyMI said:

After starting the Lux Render Engine, I can work on with Carrara. No Problem with me.
    So stoping/closing the Lux Render Engine does not take away the control from Carrara.

Eddy
    Ahh, ok. Thank you.

So I seem to have an issue where Carrara does not recover from sending the .lxs

Render progress shows 100%, but Carrara stops responding and I have no control in the interface or ability to cancel (esc). I have to force quit.

• SphericLabsSphericLabs Posts: 598
    edited December 1969

EddyMI said:

Eddy

Ahh, ok. Thank you.

Render progress shows 100%, but Carrara stops responding and I have no control in the interface or ability to cancel (esc). I have to force quit.

Hmm. It's working for me. Let me try on another Mac.

• Nod64Nod64 Posts: 35
    edited December 1969

Orion_Uk said:
    Hi 3drendero :D

3drendero said:
    There is no documentation, this is an alpha release, meaning that most functions are still missing.
    You can try to setup the textures only, since the only material available is color and texture maps:

"4) 2 new shaders. Lux Surface should be the top most shader, Lux Matte must be in the first slot of Lux Surface
    5) Only the diffuse channel of Lux Matte will work. You can set a color or a texture there."

RE: There is no documentation, this is an alpha release,

I was referring to the LuxRender documentation as I have never used LuxRender before. I just brought Luxus for DS and decided to give this Alpha a try while I was at it, but usually I use Octane Render Plugins (For Poser, Blender & DS) or standalone for Carrara stauff, so thought it might give me a point to start from & help me understand the Carrara plugin and Luxus/LuxRender ;)

Thanks for the reply and info :)

I've found Octane to be a lot faster than LuxRender. It's dearer, but you get what you pay for.

edited April 2013

EddyMI said:

Eddy

Ahh, ok. Thank you.

FWIW I am on a Mac Mini 2012... and I probably have just about every Carrara plugin there is... (in case that might cause conflict)
    I can keep trying, or give you specs or whatever might be of help...

Post edited by wetcircuit on
    edited December 1969

EddyMI said:

Eddy

Ahh, ok. Thank you.

FWIW I am on a Mac Mini 2012... and I probably have just about every Carrara plugin there is... (in case that might cause conflict)

Can you go to your LuxRender installation and just run LuxRender? Sometimes there are OpenCL library problems.

edited December 1969

Can you go to your LuxRender installation and just run LuxRender? Sometimes there are OpenCL library problems.
    Yes, I can double-click the .xls written by Carrara, and that launches LuxRender and it begins to render...

edited December 1969

Holly,

Mac64 Build
    -> http://sphericlabs.com/carrara/Mac64/Luxus.zip

I have changed when it asks for the LuxRender folder to when you switch to use Luxus. Mac 10.8 does not like what I was doing. 10.6 was ok with it. This avoids the first crash you where getting.

The second problem almost for sure is you need to run LuxRender on you Mac at least once by right click -> open. II will warn you, just say ok. Then you should be good. I tested it on a Mac Mini 2012.

• Go FigureGo Figure Posts: 1
    edited April 2013

This is cool

Post edited by Go Figure on
    edited December 1969

Might you have two LuxRender installations?

edited December 1969

Might you have two LuxRender installations?

Thank you for considering...

I don't have 2 LuxRenders... just the one.

After swapping out last night's build Carrara still "crashes", although if it is significant:
    the earlier build crashed at 100% render and last night's crashes at 0% render....
    (in both cases the .xls seems to be fine and LuxRender opens and renders)

In both cases I had hit the Preview button in C's render room ( i dunno, just trying to think what I may be doing that you aren't)

Screen_Shot_2013-04-26_at_9.15_.11_AM_.png
    1351 x 780 - 287K
  • DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326
    edited December 1969

Go Figure said:
    This is cool
    So are You!
    edited December 1969

Another WIn64 Build

-> http://sphericlabs.com/carrara/Win64/Luxus.zip

Changes:

Fixed crash. This happened anytime an object or shading domain was not assigned a shader.

edited December 1969

HI Spheric labs :)

Is there any chance you could post an example pic of how a shader with an alpha channel,. like hair or eyelashes, should be set-up in carrara, using a lux surface.

edited April 2013

3DAGE said:
    HI Spheric labs :)

Is there any chance you could post an example pic of how a shader with an alpha channel,. like hair or eyelashes, should be set-up in carrara, using a lux surface.

Does this help?

Make sure that is a Material Lux Mix and not a Texture Lux Mix. I am going to add like (Texture) to the name or something so they don't get mixed up.

You can invert the texture map color and if you want a transparency/opactiy map, or you can swap LuxMix.Material1 and LuxMix.Material2

css1.jpg
    748 x 915 - 133K
    Post edited by SphericLabs on
    edited December 1969

Thanks .:)

it had to be that simple ... Doh !

• mulwargmulwarg Posts: 6
    edited April 2013

Mac64 build (13) works fine. Thanks Spheric Labs for a great job and 3DAGE for kind help!
    Now I'am looking forward to a weekend full of testing and learning :-)
    You make the world a better place!

Post edited by mulwarg on
    edited December 1969

Testing the replicate a replicator. Seems to work.

cl1.jpg
    1690 x 1300 - 189K
  • GKDantasGKDantas Posts: 200
    edited December 1969

Ok, now I can have beautiful eyes for content, alpha channel working fine now I need to understand SSS maps, how they work in Luxrender.
    I saw that SSS materials can be Matte Translucent or Scatter. Have any one tried it?

• 3dOutlaw3dOutlaw Posts: 2,471
    edited December 1969

3DAGE said:
    Thanks .:)

it had to be that simple ... Doh !

Did you get this working, cause I sure can't get it working. I have the same setup, except for the Fitlering option, I don't have Fast Mip Map even as a selection?

• GKDantasGKDantas Posts: 200
    edited December 1969

Here is my last render with Luxus in Carrara! A lot of fun to set the shaders: bumps, alphas and other stuff all here!

woman.jpg
    1000 x 1000 - 224K