DIM does not load or install properly

I get the following error when starting DIM.   DIM does not create deinstall program, either.

Daz error.JPG
1169 x 693 - 81K

Comments

• wsgentrywsgentry Posts: 572

I have over 500 products, and this never happened until last night.

• Are you running McAfee?

Yes.

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,918
    edited October 2017

I'm not familiar with McAfee but can you add exceptions to it? If so add DIM. It must have had an update that did something.

Post edited by frank0314 on

I excluded the program from real time scanning, no change.  Now, going to exclude everything.  It would seem this is something else, as everything worked with McAfee running prior to a system update last night. :(

Still the same.   :(   I'm also wondering why when I select the 64 bit installer to load, I get the 32 bit installer.  Odd.  OS is Windows 10. UGH.

Disabled realtime scanning to reinstall, it worked.  But still the same error.  Going to uninstall with real time scanning disabled and reinstall with realtime scanning disabled to see what happens.

No go.  Same .dll fails with same error.  Wondering if this is a bug brought about by a windows update.   Considering rolling back the update, but it's not a good situation.

No go.  I enabled the adminstrator account and roll back won't work after you add an account.

Did McAfee update as well or just Windows?

Looks like only windows.   I've tried everything I can think of to roll back the update, but no go.  Next up is I hit up Alienware support to see if they know how to do it and not blow away the Admin account.   If you blow away the admin account, apparently all setting get blown away, too.   If that happens then it's back to a clean install and that would really not be good at this stage.   (I've go a month off work for recouperation from surgery, so I figured I'd get even better at DAZ during that time.  Oh, well.)

edited October 2017

We'll see if other more familiar with this issue show up but don't give up quite yet. In my experience it's always AV issues but in this case I'm not sure.

Thank you for getting back to me.   I just got off the phone with Alienware supports.   Appartenly, with my system, the Windows Creator update cannot be rolled back.   We disabled all AV products and still no go.    I'm thinking there may be a bug.  So, I guess next steps are to open a ticket and see what happens.   Thank you again for your time and all your help!

• try disconnecting from the Internet, disabling McAfee, installing, reenabling McAfee, reconnecting. McAfee is know to be causing issues recently.

Richard,

Thank you for the suggestion.  Unfortunately, no go. :(   I have a ticket in so I'll likely hear something Monday. 

Thank you again,

Scott

Now, Daz 3d (version previous to the current as I can't get DIM to run) won't run anymore.  I'm dead in the water. :(  I am going to download it again.

Bad Daz 3d.JPG
    1153 x 629 - 73K
  • This looks very like the behaviour people were seeing with McAfee, how did you disable it above? Are you sure it is not active when installing?

I disabled realtime scanning.  I disabled the firewall. I disabled everything in the disable menu.  I'm one step away from uninstalling it, but here's the thing.  I work in network security--big time network security.   So, the question is this:  If anti-virus software has to be disabled, why do developers write programs which cause signatures to be fired?  The entire security model is compromised in that mode.  With viruses, malware, ransomware running rampant (Eternal Blue, Double Pulsar and a host of others) it would seem prudent to take the extra steps to ensure application integrity and security by not having such things being common fixes. It's troubling beyond the norm.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,454
    edited October 2017

From time-to-time a particular piece of security software will start ebing unhelpful - a few months back kaspersky had a fit of deleting one of the .dll files used by iray, causing purple renders. I've never had an issue between Norton and DS, but I did have to override Norton for every update (frequent) of my Allegorithmic applications (Substance Painter, Substance Designer) a year or two back. Currently it is mcAfee being a pain - hopefully they will resolve whatever is triggering the false (presumably) positives. The issue is ggenerally, in all thse cases, with some kind of heuristic analysis which is meant to identify issues without having to wait for a positive description but which ends up casting its net too wide.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on

Okay, I understand.   I uninstalled McAfee, tried everything.  No go.   This would actually be a fun problem to find if I wasn't recovering from surgery. :)

If McAfee did delete a file from DS you will also need to reinstall DS, but make sure McAfee isn't on the system

You know this is a wonderful connundrum.  How does one cleanly and safely Daz if DIM doesn't work?   There is to my knowledge no uninstaller for DAZ.   Plus, I have over 500 products and lots of 3rd party products to worry about.   Please understand, I'm in no way trying to be argumentative.  I truly appreciate the suggestions folks like you and Richard have offered.   If I can uninstall Daz I'll gladly do it.  I have nothing else to do but sit around here and recover my surgery.   Let me know what I need to do and it's done! :) 

Scott

edited October 2017

you have nothing to worry about with your content. You can download Daz Studio from your product library. Why isn't your DIM working? What is happening?

See the first message I posted in this thread.  I have a chicken and egg situation here.  Frank, this is very odd.  I posted a picture of the error message in the first post, too.   The files listed for both DIM and Daz are there and have content in them--I viewed them. 

edited October 2017

Sorry I forgot you posted it. I got confused and thought you were saying DS

No need to apologize.   First, DIM stopped working, then this morning DAZ stopped working.   :)   I truly love DAZ. I have a Ph.D. in computer graphics and while I have tons of suggestions, for what it does, it's beautiful.  It's a work of art.   There always seems to be something to learn and I love it.  Now, I just want to work with it.  It'll get fixed.  :)

Scott

Well McAfee may have screw up you DS and reinstalling will hurt nothing. You may wanna give it a try. We are still wondering about DIM. It may take you submitting a ticket to Tech support if we can't figure it out.

I have a ticket in.   Magically, after I dumped the affected DLL's to hex, they showed up as zero byte files.  Now, I have excluded everything in DIM directories.  I downloaded DIM fresh and with the directories excluded, I now get zero byte files.   This is progress in my mind, but no true direction to proceed.   I will keep this thread updated as I hear back from Emmalee in Support.   Thank you, Frank and Richard!  

we will update if we can think of something, but at least you have a ticket in to the techs. They should be able to get you straight. What operating system do you have?

Frank,

All this started when I was forced to upgrade to Windows 10 creator stuff the other day.  I thought, no biggie.  Then blooie.  I bought a couple of products, went to install them and got the error messages I've been getting.   Computer is an Alienware 17 R4, blown to the max.   When I get this fixed, I'm getting a couple more graphics cards for the amplifier.  Only reason I didn't get a desktop is portability and this thing fits the bill perfectly.   One caveat.  I have the 4K display so some apps (like a plug in rendering app I have) don't do too well with this pixel density.  Authors sometimes make incorrect assumptions.   Daz works great with it and it's fun rendering stuff in full 4k or larger -- it takes more time so that's what the extra graphics cards are going to be doing.