DIM does not load or install properly

2»

Comments

• wsgentrywsgentry Posts: 572

I haven't heard back from Emilee of support in a bit so I'm assuming this is something they haven't yet encountered.  It's truly a chicken and egg thing. Thank you all for your time and patience!   Frank and Richard, you guys rock!

Scott

Tonight I uninstalled all antivirus products I have.  I also disabled all Microsoft security services, redownloaded and reinstalled DIM.  Same error.  This is frustration station, now.   I really want to get better at this program, but support has apparently gone silent.  I have made a longer version of this post in my ticket.   I sure hope they can find the cause because it's going to be long, long recovery without DAZ3D.   Thanks again, everyone.

Scott

• Did you actually uninstall DIM? Have you checked to see if the file that's throwing the error is really gone before reinstalling?

Yep, completely deinstalled DIM so many times and have downloaded it so many times with different browsers to eliminate any inherent protections browsers may have.   I've looked for file and it's gone.  I literally have no clue where to go now.  Y'all are great throughout this ordeal.  (I do get the reason for checking on the file, too.  If the zero byte file was there it might get overwritten with the new file.)

Thanks again,

Scott

Richard,

You're a genius!  I have it working.  Your hint about the file being deleted took me down the right path.  Somehow, either through DIM's uninstaller or through the OS, the directory was marked hidden.   Why?  I have no clue.  I unhid everything and boom!  The directory with the zero byte file was there.  Who would look for a hidden directory like that?  :)   I deleted the entire directory, reinstalled DIM and it worked!  I'm up on Daz 4.10 and happy.   It makes no sense at all, but it's out in the universe now.  Thanks!

You guys are rock stars!!!

Scott

• Great - I wonder if the AV hid it to block what it regarded as a suspect application.

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,919

Glad to see you sorted it out.

• Great - I wonder if the AV hid it to block what it regarded as a suspect application.

Really bad idea, if they did that. That's precisely the sort of activities that someone writing malware would do.

Great - I wonder if the AV hid it to block what it regarded as a suspect application.

I really have no idea, Richard.  What's very odd is nothing, and I mean nothing, showed up in any system or AV logs.  After I did what I did last night, Iiterally read ever log entry on the computer and found nothing!  I would think AV would have flagged it as a PUP and let me make the choice, but no.   Odder still is the clean DIM install made if through my suite of AV apps with no problem.   The only other avenue to take would be to try to roll back Creator and see if somehow that was the cause.   Unfortunately, when I first found this problem, I was on the phone with Alienware support (I got an actual Level 3 guy instead of script reader) and they couldn't roll back Creator.   So, I think this is one for the books and something for everyone keep in their back pockets just in case it happens again.

Thank you again, Richard!

Scott

frank0314 said:

Glad to see you sorted it out.

It wasn't easy, sir!  Thank you for all your help, Frank.   Without you and Richard, fixing this would have taken much longer.

Scott

Great - I wonder if the AV hid it to block what it regarded as a suspect application.

Really bad idea, if they did that. That's precisely the sort of activities that someone writing malware would do.

I think jumping to conclusions is the wrong thing to do.   There is simply no data to suggest AV or the application authors did something wrong.   When you consider my clean install worked after finding DIM's directory hidden, unhiding, and deleting it, there is really no conclusion that can be drawn with any certainty.  Granted, if I was going to write malware, it would be hidden, but it would not be in a hidden directory--that's really bush league stuff.  Hiding things in the open, yet obscured is much better. :)

Scott

Had another .dll thing last night.  

I bought and installed some third party houses and other things.  After installing those, I went to start DAZ, boom!  Bad zero byte DLL.   Install manager still worked, so I uninstalled and reinstalled DAZ, problem fixed.   Nothing in logs again, either.   I'm thinking Windows Creators is causing this stuff because it has never happened before.

Just keeping this alive in case others run into this.

Scott

Just ran into another disappearing .dll.   Same one as earlier.   Uninstall DAZ, reinstall DAZ fixed it.  I'm not so sure it's Creators, now.  I have no evidence to point anywhere, though.  As long as I can keep uninstalling/reloading I guess I'm okay with it.   Just posting to keep it out in the universe in the event anyone runs into this.

• wsgentry said:

Just ran into another disappearing .dll.   Same one as earlier.   Uninstall DAZ, reinstall DAZ fixed it.  I'm not so sure it's Creators, now.  I have no evidence to point anywhere, though.  As long as I can keep uninstalling/reloading I guess I'm okay with it.   Just posting to keep it out in the universe in the event anyone runs into this.

It's most likely your antivirus/anti-malware software doing it. Keep an eye out for messages from that, and if you continue to experience this without any such notification, find another one; I would not trust software that consistently did something and didn't notify me of the actions it was going to take.

edited November 2017
    wsgentry said:

It's most likely your antivirus/anti-malware software doing it. Keep an eye out for messages from that, and if you continue to experience this without any such notification, find another one; I would not trust software that consistently did something and didn't notify me of the actions it was going to take.

If you've read this thread from the beginning you would see that I have completely uninstalled my AV suite with the same problems.  I have scoured all logs on this computer and all messages for anything that points to anything with AV being the cause.  In fact, just now, something else is happening.

I launched DIM to update a product, no problem.  I went into DAZ to check it out but kept getting POSTGRE errors.  I changed the port.  No go.  I tried to uninstall DAZ.  That worked.  I tried to reinstall, no go.  DAZ pops up in DIM as needing to be installed, but when installing, nothing happens. I'm going to redownload DAZ and see if perhaps what I have is corrupt. 

Post edited by wsgentry on

Redownloading worked.  Still geting PostgreSQL errors.  I bopped the port way out like 65534 and still the same thing. :)  Gotta love it!

edited November 2017

Well, don't I feel like a fool.  Uninstall/Reinstall CMS fixed it.  :)  Still, gotta love it.  I have to say this sincerely.  I love DAZ3D. Seriously love it.  603 products and I'm having a blast!  This is most awesome piece of software I have.  There's always something to learn and reading this forum is an absolute treasure trove of information on how to get more out of it!   Now if I could only get the Photoshop Bridge working. ;) 

Well, that's done. The bridge is now installed and working!  Once a person figures out how to search here, there is so much information to be had. I love it! 

Post edited by wsgentry on

It seems the .dll issue has disappeared with the latest Windows update.  I'm not stunned.   Just floating it again.

Scott

Whoops.  Had one yesterday.  A .dll issue.  Remove reinstall fixed it.   This is an OS issue.

Scott