4.10 Export problem

I noticed that when I export scenes out of DAZ 4.10 and import the .obj into Lightwave, Blender, or Octane about 25% of the objects in the .obj are missing textures and the affected objects are just named default or diffuse (no surface information).  If you apply texures or colors to the objects that came in without the textures on import all objects get the same color or texture.  I export using the DAZ scale default export settings.  I have not tested any other export settings.  I tested .objs I exported out in 4.9 and .objs exported out with 4.9 all surfaces have assigned textures, but this is not the case for the same .obj exported out of 4.10.  Somehow the exportation process is omitting some of the textures on some of the objects even though everything is loaded fine in DAZ.  

Anybody else having this issue before I submit a ticket?  I am not using the beta version of 4.10.

Thanks

Comments

• edited October 2017

same for me, export out daz the .obj are missing textures and her selection tag ... and also, some objects are not in the right place.

Post edited by draekser_64f54d08b8 on
  • same for me, export out daz the .obj are missing textures and her selection tag ... and also, some objects are not in the right place.

Thanks draekser_64f54d08b8,  I think I am going to submit a ticket on this.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,055

make sure materials are not iray and instantsing is not used too, I get this with sets that have either

• th3Digit said:

make sure materials are not iray and instantsing is not used too, I get this with sets that have either

I am using the Dream Home Yard and Pool and there are two terracotta pats for example, one pot gets materials and the other one does not.  Anytime there is repeated geometry, one gets the textures, and the others do not.  Any way around instancing?  If Iray materials are used with no other options, I guess I can export without textures and manually apply them in Octane?  Never had this problem before 4.10.  

edited October 2017

mmm see what you mean

I must admit I use the Poser versions of that set as I do most things where I can

Capture.JPG
    1936 x 1048 - 370K
    Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • th3Digit said:

mmm see what you mean

I must admit I use the Poser versions of that set as I do most things where I can

That is my problem exactly!  Do you find the Poser version not having those issues?  

th3Digit said:

mmm see what you mean

That is my problem exactly!  Do you find the Poser version not having those issues?  

admittedly not tried it yet, need to find it first but the duf one works in  iclone 3Dxchange so it must be how Octane reads the mtl file

Capture.JPG
    1936 x 1048 - 375K
  • Siciliano1969Siciliano1969 Posts: 433
    edited October 2017
    th3Digit said:
    th3Digit said:

mmm see what you mean

admittedly not tried it yet, need to find it first but the duf one works in  iclone 3Dxchange so it must be how Octane reads the mtl file

I wonder if iclone reads the Duf file.  I know Blender and Lightwave have the same issue with the exported scene in .obj.  The only fix is to manually export each instance seperately which is a huge pain!

Test render 1.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 3M
    Post edited by Siciliano1969 on
    th3Digit said:
    th3Digit said:

mmm see what you mean

I wonder if iclone reads the Duf file.  I know Blender and Lightwave have the same issue with the exported scene in .obj.  The only fix is to manually export each instance seperately which is a huge pain!

this is an obj export using original maps in options same file as I tried in Octane standalone which I rarely use, I use my plugin for Carrara mostly

since iClone sees it I would say its a mtl file issue and that might be fixable in notepad, I agree its a bug though if it worked before

• th3Digit said:
    th3Digit said:
    th3Digit said:

mmm see what you mean

this is an obj export using original maps in options same file as I tried in Octane standalone which I rarely use, I use my plugin for Carrara mostly

since iClone sees it I would say its a mtl file issue and that might be fixable in notepad, I agree its a bug though if it worked before

Yeah, that might be an option....so sorry I didn't keep 4.9. 

actually Blender loads it all textured

Capture.JPG
    1918 x 1040 - 257K
  • th3Digit said:

actually Blender loads it all textured

Mmm I will have to try again.  I wonder if you export from Blender if all the textures load in Octane.

• Maybe I did something wrong on import into Blender?

Blender.JPG
    3840 x 2094 - 729K

I use original maps not collect in folder, maybe that's it?

• th3Digit said:

I use original maps not collect in folder, maybe that's it?

Yeah, me as well.....interesting

I am actually using the beta of D|S too

I am still on 4.7 otherwise

• th3Digit said:

Very interesting, so exporting out of 4.7 should work?  

th3Digit said:

I did it from the 4.10 beta just said otherwise I use 4.7

because of some compatibility issues with other software not related to this, more to do with morphs and Carrara for things I rig.

• halvirhalvir Posts: 6

I have this problem trying to export to OBJ for import into Octane. I have tried various materials (for IRay and 3Delight) and different settings and nothing fixes the problem. I can't say how miserable this has made me as I don't have a backup of 4.9. I didn't anticipate something this fundamental breaking as I've never had any problems before. I can only hope someone has submitted a ticket and it will be fixed. I guess I'll submit a ticket, too.

• I've got the same issue taking OBJ files from Daz Studio to Cinema 4D, it worked perfectly with 4.9 but is completely messed up since I updated to 4.10.

Reading the above, am I right in thinking that the problem occurs when material groups on different figures have the same name? I hadn't considered that but thinking about it, it makes sense, the first figure always seems load with all the materials correct and wardrobe items which are not duplicated are okay but additional figures in the scene are wrecked.

I was thinking of trying to get back to 4.9 by rolling back the update with Windows System Restore but in light of what I've learned here I will try exporting each figure individually and see if that succeeds as a work-around util Daz are able to address the issue.

• Siciliano1969Siciliano1969 Posts: 433
    edited October 2017
    th3Digit said:
    th3Digit said:

I did it from the 4.10 beta just said otherwise I use 4.7

because of some compatibility issues with other software not related to this, more to do with morphs and Carrara for things I rig.

Gotcha, not sure were I am going wrong.  I just never noticed this issue before with previous version of DAZ.  Maybe its a new version of Octane, but issue with Blender and Lightwave...not sure.

Post edited by Siciliano1969 on
  • halvir said:

I have this problem trying to export to OBJ for import into Octane. I have tried various materials (for IRay and 3Delight) and different settings and nothing fixes the problem. I can't say how miserable this has made me as I don't have a backup of 4.9. I didn't anticipate something this fundamental breaking as I've never had any problems before. I can only hope someone has submitted a ticket and it will be fixed. I guess I'll submit a ticket, too.

Hey halvir, yeah more tickets the better as maybe this can be fixed if it is truly an issue with DAZ.  I have learned my lesson to never give up a working version until I have tested everything with the newer version.  

• I've got the same issue taking OBJ files from Daz Studio to Cinema 4D, it worked perfectly with 4.9 but is completely messed up since I updated to 4.10.

Reading the above, am I right in thinking that the problem occurs when material groups on different figures have the same name? I hadn't considered that but thinking about it, it makes sense, the first figure always seems load with all the materials correct and wardrobe items which are not duplicated are okay but additional figures in the scene are wrecked.

I was thinking of trying to get back to 4.9 by rolling back the update with Windows System Restore but in light of what I've learned here I will try exporting each figure individually and see if that succeeds as a work-around util Daz are able to address the issue.

chrissmith5_250de8956f please keep us posted on how that works out exporting individual objects.  I tried it and it works just a major pain with complicated scenes.

• I've just done some experimentation and saving objects out individually looks like it will work for me but I can well imagine that it would be more trouble than it is worth with really large scenes.

I did find that if I imported individually saved OBJ files directly into the same scene in Cinerma 4D, materials with the same name were overwritten, so if I imported a Genesis 3 Male and then a Genesis 3 Female figure, they both ended up with the Female's materials, but I can get round that by importing them individually and saving them out as C4D files before bringing them together in a single scene.

I also tried exporting as FBX and that came into Cinema 4D with all materials intact so it definitely seems to be an issue with how Studio is writing its MTL files.

I think I may still try and get back to Studio 4.9 until this problem is fixed.

• I've just done some experimentation and saving objects out individually looks like it will work for me but I can well imagine that it would be more trouble than it is worth with really large scenes.

I did find that if I imported individually saved OBJ files directly into the same scene in Cinerma 4D, materials with the same name were overwritten, so if I imported a Genesis 3 Male and then a Genesis 3 Female figure, they both ended up with the Female's materials, but I can get round that by importing them individually and saving them out as C4D files before bringing them together in a single scene.

I also tried exporting as FBX and that came into Cinema 4D with all materials intact so it definitely seems to be an issue with how Studio is writing its MTL files.

I think I may still try and get back to Studio 4.9 until this problem is fixed.

Excellent work!!

• Funny I got an email acknowledging my ticket but the link given to me is invalid.  http://helpdaz.zendesk.com/hc/requests/255018

When I look under my name in the helpdesk I see nothing about the ticket I submitted.  

• So I bridged the scene to Hex and exported out of Hex to Octane and all materials work fine.  I just have to figure out scale.  When I export out of DAZ I use DAZ scale (cm) and import into Octane using same scale (cm).  I exported out of Hex using Meters and still had to scale up the scene 10 times to get it to match the scale coming out of DAZ.  I also don't like textures being stored in a Hex folder vs pulling from the folder where the actual objects textures reside.  I just have to sort those things out, but the material file seems to be written correctly for the duplicate or instanced objects from Hex.  

• Funny I got an email acknowledging my ticket but the link given to me is invalid.  http://helpdaz.zendesk.com/hc/requests/255018

When I look under my name in the helpdesk I see nothing about the ticket I submitted.  

I have the same problem. There should also be a ticket number in the email that's clickable and takes you to the proper place. What I've experienced so far is that it took two and a half hours to receive an automated acknowledgement the ticket had been placed, and I haven't heard anything else a day and a half later. They say they aim to answer questions within two working days, so hopefully later on today... I wonder if they've been inundated since 4.10 came out. This is a pretty serious problem for many users.

• Singular3DSingular3D Posts: 523
    edited November 2017

I've got the same issue taking OBJ files from Daz Studio to Cinema 4D, it worked perfectly with 4.9 but is completely messed up since I updated to 4.10.

Good to know. As a Cinema 4D user, I will stay at 4.9 for now. Thanks! At least the FBX export seems to work.

Post edited by Singular3D on
  • PadonePadone Posts: 3,610

This can be useful to turn instances to objects so they can be exported to obj or other formats.

https://www.daz3d.com/instances-to-objects

Also, always check the mtl file since path names may be wrong. Blender is generally fine because it does a smart search for textures.

Finally, to convert iray materials to more "obj friendly" ones, it is enough to apply the daz studio default shader. The conversion is generally quite good.