Post Your Renders - #5: Yet More Hope

Comments

• shumphryshumphry Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

head wax said:
    congrats Steve, you're a fast learner ! welcome to Carrara forum too. (smiley here)
    Thank you head wax, I had a lot of fun doing this.
    My first addition to the render thread. Steve
    A most excellent start.
    Love that image!
    Thanks Dartanbeck, I will start working on a new scene with the psiMans two companions, psiDog and psiFly. They all looked so cool and two were on special I just had to get all of them at Renderosity.

Cool model and render it all fits together so well.

Steve

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964
    edited July 2013

Pleasure Steve.
    If you get a chance you are very welcome to put something in the current challenge.
    The more the merrier. (smiley here)

Post edited by Headwax on
  • IlenaIlena Posts: 282
    edited December 1969

Adding one more image C coughed out. :)

96.png
    640 x 480 - 635K
  • evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

Ilena52 said:

Nicely done! What's the hair that you used?

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326
    edited December 1969

Yes. I like the whole scene. Looks great!
    This is another of my experiments towards the grading and post work effects that I can now apply to my animations using Howler. Silly of me to overwrite the original. Next time I'll save the original shot so I can show you the huge difference between the stock render and this enhanced version. And, again... it's for animation clip work, not stills. This is my yet unfinished V6 version of my character. I will still need to acquire or create more expressions before I could actually use her as my actress... but I'm sure that will come soon. I still like my V4 version but this one is much better to work with as far as creating my own things for her - due to the magical possibilities between Carrara and the new Daz Studio Pro.

RTG2WLSR1A.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 691K
    edited December 1969

Ilena52 said:
    I really like the image Ilena52, great outfit and really nice hair.
    Yes. I like the whole scene. Looks great!
    This is another of my experiments towards the grading and post work effects that I can now apply to my animations using Howler. Silly of me to overwrite the original. Next time I'll save the original shot so I can show you the huge difference between the stock render and this enhanced version. And, again... it's for animation clip work, not stills. This is my yet unfinished V6 version of my character. I will still need to acquire or create more expressions before I could actually use her as my actress... but I'm sure that will come soon. I still like my V4 version but this one is much better to work with as far as creating my own things for her - due to the magical possibilities between Carrara and the new Daz Studio Pro.

Nice! Love the sense of movement in the scene.
    edited July 2013

EP, the hair name's eurydice.

Pozadina.png
    640 x 641 - 512K
    Post edited by Ilena on
    edited December 1969

Another great image. Good eye for framing. Love that tree on the right, and the realism of the contrasty sky blasting light through the leaves, slightly obscuring them as it wraps around them on it's way through. Very nice.

edited December 1969

What the... ?

We_Gotta_Get_Outta_Here.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 819K
    edited December 1969

I love the sky effects you can get with Carrara, still need lots of practice with shaders, every time I tried to make the hair a bit shinier it ended up too glossy.

002-AlinPlanet.jpg
    1200 x 900 - 270K
    edited July 2013

shumphry said:
    I love the sky effects you can get with Carrara, still need lots of practice with shaders, every time I tried to make the hair a bit shinier it ended up too glossy.
    I totally agree - and it's funny you should say that when you did - for today was my "work on hair" day. The big problem with trying to highlight hair via lights and shaders, is that it's not hair. It's ribbons with maps to try and achieve a hair look. Or if you use Carrara hair, which can get nicer highlights, it's volumetric or something. So it has it's down sides as well. But since I cannot truly predict the actions of dynamic hair - I use the ribbons of mesh.
    So I've tried combining the alpha maps with the bump maps and playing with the actual brightness of that to try and limit where the highlight would happen according to the shininess. No matter what I tried, I got unnatural effects. The best I've achieved so far is using combinations of maps, similar to what I've just described, in the glow channel. I've even tried using subsurface scattering to assist in changing the appearance of the hair according to the amount of light behind it. But light from behind simply doesn't highlight our mesh ribbons like it does our natural hair.

I did a bunch of mesh changes to the layers of figure hair that you always see on my Rosie Character. I was watching some of my older clips, and somehow the hair isn't as super-cool as it used to be - so I worked on that - and I think it's the best it's ever been yet. Now I need to adjust the morph that I added to work better with the new changes - and add some new morphs that I've been dying to add.

So after that was finished (for the day) I began what I was intending to do today - which was to start some of my movie production work. I decided to start with my Woodlands as a base - create a plateau - like clearing, and start my needed animation work. The other day's work on the July Contest image used a Tim Payne Surreal sky that looks a lot like what you have there... and I loved it! So I decided to use the Realistic Sky editor's clouds. What a joy that was. I can now see how Tim is so successful at creating such excellent skies using those 2d clouds - tweaking their settings!

Top: I still have some issues to resolve, but here's Rosie new Hair fixes so far. This is my trusty V4 version of Rosie.
    Below: One frame of animation that's using the new sky I just made. It wasn't meant to be all colorful like the TP one. This is a dreary day, my friends - and it smells like Orc outside!

Doc3.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 714K
    Doc4.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 546K
    Post edited by Dartanbeck on
    edited December 1969

Oh... I wanted to tell you, shumphry, that I really like your render. She's gonna get hot in that, though. I have more torn rags around here somewhere, I think? lol
    Very nice. You do a nice job with shaders. Specular highlights are fun to dial in, eh? I love it! That's what nearly killed me about that hair thing. I believe it was the previous "Post You Renders" thread where I was trying all manner of things for that. I'm sure it can be done - with enough patience. Maybe not. I spent a lot of time - but this is Carrara, the land of multitude of methods. Perhaps displacement painting could change the ribbons into something more like hair. Don't get me wrong, though - I'm not knocking the 'ribbons' design. I love it. I just wanted some natural highlights when I have major back lighting going on! lol

Sorry for the babble!

edited July 2013

Thanks Dartanbeck, I'm sure I saw a video tutorial where the creator used a very slight reflection on the hair to bring out the highlights and it looked good but can't remember which video it was as I have watched so many over the last week.

I did use one of Tim Payne's skies, (the Carrara Skies Bundle and DP Carrara Master Collection Shaders were the first two additions to my Library) All I did to it was change the position of the sun so that it was visible in the scene.

BTW I really like Rosie's hair, it has lots of volume.

Steve

Post edited by shumphry on
    edited July 2013

The two of you with the landscaping and with the sky behind the girl are to blame for this.^.^ I really like what Carrara showed so far.

Doc226.png
    640 x 425 - 303K
    Post edited by Ilena on
    edited December 1969

Ilena52 said:
    The two of you with the landscaping and with the sky behind the girl are to blame for this.^.^ I really like what Carrara showed so far.

That is looking really nice Ilena, like you I love the atmospheres that can be created in Carrara but I have to stop playing with them for a while so I can start learning how to make landscapes to use with them.

That is a nice model you are using in the scene, wheres it from?

Steve

edited December 1969

beautiful renders, don't you love Carrara ? : )
    something from a few weeks ago to illustrate the concept "Surveillance"

AndrewFinnie1.jpg
    1000 x 1250 - 260K
  • Rhian-SkybladeRhian-Skyblade Posts: 223
    edited December 1969

head wax said:

I like that one very much!
    Great work on colors and the light. Takes the overall mood a notch downward to dire :)

edited December 1969

Ilena52 said:
    The two of you with the landscaping and with the sky behind the girl are to blame for this.^.^ I really like what Carrara showed so far.Very cool! Looks like we've found where the Elves live, perhaps? Very cool.
    head wax said:

Yes. I very much love Carrara. It just keeps getting more and more amazing the more I explore and discover within its many features.
    Great work on colors and the light. Takes the overall mood a notch downward to dire :)I know, right? He is a magnificent artist. All of his art is really, really well done like that. Amazing as always HW!
    edited December 1969

head wax said:

Love it!

Had a go at making a terrain from scratch with the editor and came up with this.

Learned something new about Carrara that I don't think is covered in any manual, when you are using the program time speeds up. It's 2am where I live and I didn't think it was any later than 10pm, better get some sleep. :-)

Would love some critique on this one as something doesn't look quite right.

Steve

ship-lighthouse.jpg
    853 x 480 - 126K
    edited December 1969

Nice job so far. I like the lighthouse, but I think the sun draws your eye away from it. Maybe put it below the mountain ridge a bit, but not so low that lose the twilight look.

edited December 1969

Nice job so far. I like the lighthouse, but I think the sun draws your eye away from it. Maybe put it below the mountain ridge a bit, but not so low that lose the twilight look.

Thanks evilpropucer, with the sun lower I might also try some volumetric clouds and a couple of homesteads on the hills.
    edited December 1969

Rhiana said:
    head wax said:

Great work on colors and the light. Takes the overall mood a notch downward to dire :)

Thank you Rhiana and Dart and Steve :) The sheep isn't really dead, just really very tired after a hard day drinking light beer and baahing a lot...

edited July 2013

shumphry said:
    head wax said:

Love it!

Had a go at making a terrain from scratch with the editor and came up with this.

Learned something new about Carrara that I don't think is covered in any manual, when you are using the program time speeds up. It's 2am where I live and I didn't think it was any later than 10pm, better get some sleep. :-)

Would love some critique on this one as something doesn't look quite right.

Steve

ah yes, wait till you get up one morning in July and fire up Carrara and when you go to bed it is still July but five years later :)

On the image - a good compositional technique to tie foreground and back ground into each other is to use a vertical. lIke a telegraph pole, tree or lighthouse.
    So in this case you could use the light house to tie the terrain into the sky (you are already using the ship to tie the ocean into the terrain) But the lighthouse would have to breake the horizon line for this to happen.

Also sometimes a triangle is a good compositional tool (like in traditional paintings of the crucifixion). In this image you have the boat the light house and the sun as starting points for your triangle.- so it's interesting to think how they can be arranged.

Lighthouse traditionally are iconic symbols for hope and light and stuff, so you could actually borrow a crucifixion composition from the old masters.

Also there is a possibility of the verticals in the masts mimicking that of the light house. So you could play that up. And maybe suggest other verticals somewhere. Also you could reflect the triangle in some of the shapes in your landscapes - even the negative shapes in the sky.

Lastly, in compositional terms, you could thionk about giving one of the items that make up your triangle more weight, - if everything is saying look at me then nothing gets looked at (I read that in a book : ) )

Not being picky, it;'s a very good image with lots of atmosphere. !

Post edited by Headwax on
    edited December 1969

head wax said:

ah yes, wait till you get up one morning in July and fire up Carrara and when you go to bed it is still July but five years later :)

On the image - a good compositional technique to tie foreground and back ground into each other is to use a vertical. lIke a telegraph pole, tree or lighthouse.
    So in this case you could use the light house to tie the terrain into the sky (you are already using the ship to tie the ocean into the terrain) But the lighthouse would have to breake the horizon line for this to happen.

Also sometimes a triangle is a good compositional tool (like in traditional paintings of the crucifixion). In this image you have the boat the light house and the sun as starting points for your triangle.- so it's interesting to think how they can be arranged.

Lighthouse traditionally are iconic symbols for hope and light and stuff, so you could actually borrow a crucifixion composition from the old masters.

Also there is a possibility of the verticals in the masts mimicking that of the light house. So you could play that up. And maybe suggest other verticals somewhere. Also you could reflect the triangle in some of the shapes in your landscapes - even the negative shapes in the sky.

Lastly, in compositional terms, you could thionk about giving one of the items that make up your triangle more weight, - if everything is saying look at me then nothing gets looked at (I read that in a book : ) )

Not being picky, it;'s a very good image with lots of atmosphere. !

I think I know what you mean but when it comes to art I am very uneducated, there are only two types, what I like and what I don't like and in both cases I can't explain why. When I start a scene I have no plan on what I want to achieve, I just play around and ideas slowly form. If I end up with something I like I get a real buzz, if other people like it as well I get an even bigger buzz.

That's why I asked for critique on this image, I like it but know it could look a lot better so thank you evilproducer and head wax for your input it really helps and is much appreciated.

Steve

edited December 1969

hi Steve, don't worry about me. I rave on ; )
    I spoke to someone the other day about 'art".
    They said succinctly "Art has to talk to people."
    It's something I need t o write on the wall next to my bed.

• cdordonicdordoni Posts: 583
    edited December 1969

head wax said:
    "Art has to talk to people."

... assumes people are listening, understand the language, and are receptive to what is being said.

edited December 1969

how true : )
    well if they aren't receptive don't understand the language and aren't listening, then it is not art.... (to them at least/)

as some people say, "I don''t know much about art,
    but I love fish and chips."

as long as they have salt and vinegah

• cdordonicdordoni Posts: 583
    edited December 1969

head wax said:
    well if they aren't receptive don't understand the language and aren't listening, then it is not art.... (to them at least/)

... then its probably government, but that's why there are spin doctors.

See, this is art, this is why you'll like it, and this is why you'll vote for it.

• SileneUKSileneUK Posts: 1,970
    edited December 1969

OK, here's a first go at my non-fantasy Neanderthal people... am very grateful to EvilProducer for his free fire and I did analyse Nerd3D's cliff/cave setup which I happily bought to see how to attempt to form my cave and used bits of it, but not very successfully. The tundra 2D scene with mammoths and reindeer outside the cave is my own art (might be too wee to see). Have a long ways to go I know but am so inspired by everyone. All ctiricisms gratefully accepted! I struggle with lighting and added a spotlight in the middle of the campfire to boost the scene, but it's not working well. included closeups of the brother and sister's faces. I ended up with Genesis based figures because they work well in Beta....so far. And I can move the eyes around. But I don't seem to have finger control, eg Una is not holding her spear properly. So I have to tweak each digit separately as there's no morph for hands or am I missing something?

Cheers, Silene

Una.jpg
    817 x 750 - 436K
    Rok.jpg
    658 x 750 - 398K
    Rok-Una.jpg
    955 x 727 - 487K
    edited July 2013

laurenwbr said:
    OK, here's a first go at my non-fantasy Neanderthal people... am very grateful to EvilProducer for his free fire and I did analyse Nerd3D's cliff/cave setup which I happily bought to see how to attempt to form my cave and used bits of it, but not very successfully. The tundra 2D scene with mammoths and reindeer outside the cave is my own art (might be too wee to see). Have a long ways to go I know but am so inspired by everyone. All ctiricisms gratefully accepted! I struggle with lighting and added a spotlight in the middle of the campfire to boost the scene, but it's not working well. included closeups of the brother and sister's faces. I ended up with Genesis based figures because they work well in Beta....so far. And I can move the eyes around. But I don't seem to have finger control, eg Una is not holding her spear properly. So I have to tweak each digit separately as there's no morph for hands or am I missing something?

Cheers, Silene

The hand should be rigged, so you should be able to manipulate the fingers directly. I don't have Genesis, or the C8.5 beta, so maybe someone else can jump in here with more experience.

I use V4 or M4 and morph++. If I select the hand, I have the shape morphs as well as morphs for grasping for the whole hand or for individual fingers. If you select the hand, do you have anything like that for the Genesis figures?

Thanks for the compliments on the fire! Regarding the fire, I think I stuck a bulb light in there. It should be in the group. You can adjust the range, brightness, falloff and shadow intensity. I see I'll have to update the scale as it loads into a medium scene way to big. The fire primitive should have cast shadows and receive shadows turned off to avoid lighting artifacts.

Edited to add that you've got a nice start on the cave. Dark scene can be a challenge, you're off to a great start. Try turning the scene's ambient light down a bit to see how that works. Make the color complimentary to the light source. In this case, the fire.

Post edited by evilproducer on