Genesis MFD (Morphing Fantasy Dress) Texture Sets

DkalDkal Posts: 18
edited December 1969 in The Commons

I'm kind of regretting that I bought the Genesis version of the MFD. There doesn't seem to be any texture expansion sets for the Genesis version. Perhaps they're yet to come? There are quite a few expansion texture sets for the V4 version of the MFD, but nothing much for the Genesis version.

I'm wondering if there's any chance that the V4 texture sets for the MFD actually work on the Genesis MFD? I suppose not. Does any one know for sure?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• carrie58carrie58 Posts: 3,952
    edited December 1969

You are in luck!! All the MFD texture sets work with all the MFD's so all of the texture set from Generation 3&4 will work on the Genesis MFD ,now go do a happy dance and then search for the ton of free MFD textures !!

• robkelkrobkelk Posts: 3,259
    edited April 2013

Why search for the free textures? I have a list at http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/14676/

If you know of any legally-free MfD textures that aren't on the list, please post links to them - in that thread, not this one.

Post edited by robkelk on
  • DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 2,882
    edited December 1969

Although I don't have any renders handy, I can confirm that the Genesis MFD takes textures for the V4, V3, A3, G3, and L3 Morphing Fantasy Dresses. The same with the expansions. Only the Stephanie Petite 3 MFD has a different UV.

• Jay_NOLAJay_NOLA Posts: 1,145
    edited December 1969

If you want a Genesis product that has extra textures for the MFD check out Shanghai Style (Sku: 15861). It comes with matching textures for the MFD.

• wancowwancow Posts: 2,708
    edited December 1969

http://www.sharecg.com/b/21/DAZ-Studio/?PSID=1016bce99902742c9b4ffe18abfc0b62&keywords=mfd&member;_type[All]=on&attribute;[4277][-1]=1&attribute;[4279][-1]=1&attribute;[4278][-1]=1&tdm=a&s=dd

and

http://www.sharecg.com/b/11/Poser/?keywords=mfd&member;_type[All]=on&attribute;[2449][-1]=1&attribute;[2577][-1]=1&attribute;[2439][-1]=1&tdm=a&s=dd

there are tonnes of MFD textures out there

• gabugabu Posts: 303
    edited December 1969

A quick look through the items listed and it looks like all the items linked are for female dresses.

Are there any links to male clothes using the MFD?

There are several listed in the DAZ store - Armageddon for one - but I was wondering if there are many others available.

edited December 1969

And a related item of clothing is the hooded cloak for genesis.

But should I start a new thread for this?

• Herald of FireHerald of Fire Posts: 3,504
    edited December 1969

I think my biggest gripe with the MFD is the inability to create long flowing dresses with it. All the variants seem to be very figure hugging with relatively few morphs to pull it away from the body. The 'loosen skirt' morph works if you remove limits, but the result is a very rectangular skirt. I found it somewhat ironic that it's a morphing dress without morphs. Still, I digress.

I've not seen any male texture variants for the outfit but then I've not really been looking for them. I confess I haven't used it much since getting it since I can never seem to get it into a good shape compared to other dresses I've purchased.

edited December 1969

The male ones I have from DAZ are: Armageddon, Blood Lust, LB Fantasy

They look a bit dated by today's standards, but that is their charm in a way.

• WilmapWilmap Posts: 2,917
    edited December 1969

There is one for V3/V4 MFD called Camelot which has both male & female textures.

http://www.daz3d.com/once-upon-a-time-camelot

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

I think my biggest gripe with the MFD is the inability to create long flowing dresses with it. All the variants seem to be very figure hugging with relatively few morphs to pull it away from the body. The 'loosen skirt' morph works if you remove limits, but the result is a very rectangular skirt. I found it somewhat ironic that it's a morphing dress without morphs. Still, I digress.

I've not seen any male texture variants for the outfit but then I've not really been looking for them. I confess I haven't used it much since getting it since I can never seem to get it into a good shape compared to other dresses I've purchased.

I obviously don't know about the Genesis version, but the V4 version has several full skirt Morphs

silk_gown_for_site.jpg
    450 x 439 - 121K
    edited December 1969

chohole said:

I obviously don't know about the Genesis version, but the V4 version has several full skirt Morphs
    I've only got the Genesis version and unless something went horribly wrong in the installation, it seems considerably lighter on the morphs.

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

There are a load of movement morphs with the GenMFD, do you have the same as me in the image below?

Untitled-1.jpg
    496 x 864 - 218K
    edited December 1969

There are a load of movement morphs with the GenMFD, do you have the same as me in the image below?

I was referring mostly to shaping morphs. Also, the movement morphs don't really accommodate anything more than very subtle movements, since the dress doesn't follow Genesis from the waist down, so you have to try and match the Genesis pose by copying limb rotations into the MFD. Another issue is that many of the movement morphs don't curl the dress, but stretch it flat along the ground which can make it look a bit awkward.

I don't hate the MFD, but I've found it a lot more work to use than I generally prefer. But again, we're getting off topic. This thread is about texture sets not the morphs, so apologies for the derail.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

On the V4 version you have a group in the parameters called "Skirt Morphs" Is there nothing similar in the Genesis version

mfd_skirt_morphs.jpg
    237 x 522 - 68K
    edited December 1969

Sadly not. Here's what I have excluding the 'moves' category which is not really used for styling.

MFD2.JPG
    417 x 613 - 59K
    MFD1.JPG
    412 x 427 - 43K
  • KatteyKattey Posts: 2,899
    edited December 1969

Because they have the same UVs they are probably the same mesh, just upfitted to Genesis. If you have Iconic V4 shape and V4 MFD you might be able to transfer skirt morphs from V4 version to Genesis version.
    Hm, have to test it.

• KinnieMKinnieM Posts: 130
    edited May 2013

If you use the Transfer Utility you certainly can transfer the morphs from the V4 version of the MFD to the Genesis version. I have done so...they go in under Morphs/ Imported/ and they work beautifully. :-)

Edit: Forgot to add that you first need to change the V4 version of the MFD to a TriAx Weight Mapping item before using the Transfer Utility.

Post edited by KinnieM on
  • thoreandanthoreandan Posts: 151
    edited December 1969

Sadly not. Here's what I have excluding the 'moves' category which is not really used for styling.

Style 1 and Style 2 on the Genesis MFD are basically skirt widening morphs. It does look a little boxy, and the texture is stretched more in the front instead of being evenly distributed. But with Style 1, Style 2, and LoosenSkirt all at 1.0, you can at least get a fairly wide skirt. It's clearly not as flexible as the V4 version, though (which I don't have, so I didn't know what I was missing until I read this thread!)

The viewport pic below has those three morphs dialed to 1.0, as well as DressShorter at 1.0 to bring the bottom back up above the floor. This is one of the Earthen Treasures textures from MAB, for sale at DAZ.

Screenshot_-_5_1_2013_,_8_23_07_AM.jpg
    667 x 842 - 51K
    edited May 2013

Ok, I tested and I made it work.
    It isn't 100% smooth process but results are good.

For transfer I used V4 MDF so I had to have Iconic V4 shape for Genesis to subtract default V4 shape embedded in V4 MFD. If you work with V3 dress you'd need V3 Iconic Shape for Genesis, I guess.

1. Prepare morphed obj
    For V4 MFD Dress, turn invisible all handles, such as SkirtBase, SkirtFront, - any and all of them.
    When exporting as obj, I chose "Ignore Invisible Nodes", and "Remove Unused Vertices" checked - this is important, otherwise morph won't transfer. I also selected "Write Groups->Use Existing Groups". I exported at 100% Hexagon scale (1 unit - 1 cm) but I think any scale would work as long as it is consistent.
    Dial your morph 100% and export with those parameters.

2. Import Morph.
    Load Genesis and set V4 Iconic morph to 100%. Load Genesis MFD (GMFD) and set it to base resolution at zero subdivision. Fit GMFD to Genesis. Select GMFD.
    Select Use Morph Loader PRO (not advanced, it is important), and load your morph but you have to also select "Reverse Deformation", otherwise you'd get V4 shape embedded into your morph as well.

3. Reapply Smoothing Modifier.
    I found that I have to delete and reapply smoothing modifier to GMFD - for some reason it stopped working and because transferred morph is slightly off, you have to use collision to make it look good.

But otherwise here is a proof - Genesis in GMFD with SkirtFull 4 from V4 MFD applied.

4. Save your modified GFMD as support assets > Figure/Prop asset.

GenesisMFD.jpg
    984 x 884 - 125K
    Post edited by Kattey on
    edited May 2013

Alternatively, if you have SickleYield Morphing and Rigging System you can refit V4 Dress to Genesis for about the same results as fully loaded with transferred morphs Genesis MFD. I haven't check GMFD and V4 version morph to morph but I have a feeling that Genesis version doesn't have anything that wasn't present in V4 version.
    http://www.daz3d.com/sickle-rigging-and-morphing-system

Select Genesis, load V4 MFD, select V4 MFD, Fit to Genesis (I used this helper too), and select SickleYield's dress option from projection templates. Reapply smoothing modifier and don't forgot to save it as a Figure asset and load it back for it to work properly. The only little thing is that geometry for no longer used ghost handles from V4 MFD is still here but you can turn the whole surface invisible in Surface tab. All morphs from V4 MFD are intact and SY's projection adds some correction morphs for Genesis.

Ghost handles from V4 won't work, obviously, but I looked at original GMFD geometry and the leg handles in it are almost same that SickleYield's transfer does.

Post edited by Kattey on
    edited December 1969

KinnieM said:
    If you use the Transfer Utility you certainly can transfer the morphs from the V4 version of the MFD to the Genesis version. I have done so...they go in under Morphs/ Imported/ and they work beautifully. :-)

Edit: Forgot to add that you first need to change the V4 version of the MFD to a TriAx Weight Mapping item before using the Transfer Utility.

Hm, yet another way to reach the goal :)
    How did you use Transfer Utility for this purpose?
  • KinnieMKinnieM Posts: 130
    edited December 1969

This is how I did it Kattey (and for anyone else that is curious about it):

1. you don't need to have Genesis in the scene at all. You only need to have the V4 and Genesis versions of the MFD in the scene.

3. under the Scene tab select the V4 version and click the icon up on the top left side of the scene tab and select Edits/ Rigging/ Convert Figure to weight mapping and select TriAx and select ok.

4. then select the Genesis version and once again select the icon up on top and click on Assets/ Transfer Utility. Then you will need to select V4 MFD under Source item, then the GenMFD under Scene item and then deselect everything under General options EXCEPT Morphs. Click on Morphs, then click on Source Morphs and you can click on Smoothing on the bottom and Content type if you wish.

5. Click Accept and you will now have the GenMFD with V4 morphs. Delete the V4 version and then save the GenMFD modified dress as support assets > Figure/Prop asset.

6. Under Morphs you will now have a folder titled Imported and there you will find all the morphs from the V4 dress. Using Property Editor you can hid any morphs that you don't want.

Hopefully the instructions above can help anyone transfer morphs from any V4 version of an outfit to the Genesis Versions. :-)

And I have also used SickleYield’s Morphing and Rigging System to add the breast bridging morphs from it using the same procedure above.

I have to go out for now but will be back later if anyone else has questions about this.

edited December 1969

Hm, I tried it as you said, and it did transfer morphs but it transferred them as separate morph for each bodypart, like, Kneeling_hip, etc. Shape and movement morphs work because they affect mostly only hip area but everything else has to be dialed from several morphs. Do you get the same picture?

edited December 1969

I COULD Create a Re-Rig for it that you could add similar to this one: http://www.sharecg.com/v/67408/view/21/DAZ-Studio/New-Dress-Rig

edited December 1969

luxgabu said:

Pretty sure there are textures for that too...
    http://www.sharecg.com/b/21/DAZStudio?PSID=1bec3f6740878018d4ba09e69dffecb4 go there and do a search

edited December 1969

wancow said:
    luxgabu said:

Pretty sure there are textures for that too...
    http://www.sharecg.com/b/21/DAZStudio?PSID=1bec3f6740878018d4ba09e69dffecb4 go there and do a search

I did a seach on 'cloak' and found a very interesting set but for the M4 hooded cloak so I am hoping that the M4 cloak textures are compatible with the V4 cloak and hence the Genesis one.

edited December 1969

interesting. there are UVS available for the V4 hooded cloak and M4 hooded cloak. First thing you do is go to the resource page on both of those, download the texture templates, and see if they match. That will tell you one thing, the next thing is this: the Genesis Hooded Clock and the M4 hooded cloak were both made or adapted by Ravenhair, so the likelyhood is that the UVS for the M4 matches the Genesis cloak. IMHO, the best thing to do would be to try to contact Ravenhair directly... if you can't, ask send a PM to one of the admins, and see if you can get in touch with Ravenhair through them. That will give you a difinitive answer.

• DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 2,882
    edited December 1969

The Hooded cloak, MFD and expansions, Pharaohs of the Sun (male and female) and Fantasy Accessories are all "refits" of the Gen 4 versions to Genesis. (also the Fantasy Wrap, Cuban Shoes, Sports Shoes, Roxana Yaralsova, Future Cop, Radiant Jaguar Hair, and whatever else was in that group.) Any textures that work on the Gen 4 versions should work fine on the Genesis versions. I've never had any problems, but then again, I can't claim to have all the textures available.

The shaping morphs available in the Genesis MFD are sadly less than those available in the V4 version, but as various ways to transfer the morphs have been posted, I think the work arounds are acceptable. If I'm remembering correctly, the Genesis MFD was one of the, if not the, first Refits done for Genesis, since the MFD has been a workhorse for people for a very long time.

edited December 1969

All cloaks share the same texture, but some generation 3 cloaks (V3, I think) miss that narrow front strip and early textures for V3 cloak might not have that place textured. Otherwise any cloak texture can be used on any other cloak.