[Released] Biometric Expressions

2»

Comments

• xyer0xyer0 Posts: 5,709

Yippee!

• Thanks for this advance

I am looking forward for your HD Expresson Sets, all are shockingly lifelike and amazingly promising!

• maraichmaraich Posts: 491

This is so great. G3 is my main figure these days. I have never seen such great expressions. I'm very much looking forward to this and your other releases.

• Those ThingsThose Things Posts: 1,113
    EquisVoid said:

Thanks for this advance

I am looking forward for your HD Expresson Sets, all are shockingly lifelike and amazingly promising!

maraich said:

This is so great. G3 is my main figure these days. I have never seen such great expressions. I'm very much looking forward to this and your other releases.

Thank you! The technique is still evolving, so I plan to issue updates to this first release in the future. And this also means that future releases will be even better.

• dreamfarmerdreamfarmer Posts: 2,128

Where can I find the control sliders for each expression?

edited January 2018

Where can I find the control sliders for each expression?

You should find them under the overall figure's posing controls, rather than specific to the head. 

ETA: I did it this way, so that the 3D widget wouldn't block the view of the face while the user was making adjustments.

Post edited by Those Things on
    edited January 2018

The sliders are really the way to get the most out of this new way of making expressions. For instance, here's a lovely beaming smile on a Victoria 7 figure: 

The recipe was:

Bright Smile 28.8%
    Bright Smile Top 51.2%
    Delighted Smile Bottom 90%

Note that in this case, Delighted Smile Bottom is layering over Bright Smile's bottom portion, and creating a whole new smile! I discovered this functionality when I was developing this product, and I love that this is possible. It makes a nearly infinite number of smiles and laughs possible. Additionally, you'll notice that each smile setting has different and subtle ways of reacting with the others, and after you play with the sliders a bit, you start to discover a lot of things are possible.

Victoria 7 Beaming Smile.jpg
    1000 x 667 - 141K
  • Are these new morphs, or dials of existing ones?

Are these new morphs, or dials of existing ones?

The dials represent carefully constructed combinations of mophs and poses combined together. This means that these are not "poses" in the normal sense that you're used to in Daz, as they act upon the architecture and shaping of the character's face, rather than just moving it around.

• ZamuelNowZamuelNow Posts: 753

These look outstanding but I do have one question/concern.  Considering that these are primarily morphs, how much do they alter already existing dialed face morphs?

edited January 2018
    ZamuelNow said:

These look outstanding but I do have one question/concern.  Considering that these are primarily morphs, how much do they alter already existing dialed face morphs?

If the existing morphs are frozen to the character, then it shouldn't be a problem. However, if you dial up morphs, but don't freeze them, and then try to apply these expressions, they will overide those morphs. This means that characters that you've purchased (like Victoria 7 or Ophelia 7, won't be changed, nor will characters that you've morphed and then frozen, just the ones that you morph and don't freeze.  I know that adds an additional step to the workflow, but there is no way around it that I'm aware of.

How exactly do you freeze a dialed morph?  Both wondering for myself, and it might be worth putting in a readme or FAQ for future releases.  Thank you for the reply, btw.

edited January 2018
    ZamuelNow said:

How exactly do you freeze a dialed morph?  Both wondering for myself, and it might be worth putting in a readme or FAQ for future releases.  Thank you for the reply, btw.

ERC freezing is a really in-depth topic, but for what you want to do, it's not too hard, and I'll try to walk you through it. You just dial in the morphs you want, then in the Parameters tab, select "Actor>People". Then right click on "People" and select "edit mode". This opens up edit mode. You'll see a list of the characters you own, and you're going to add a new slider to this list. Now, you right click again, and choose, "create new property". This opens up a really intimidating dialog box, but all you need to do choose "Actor>People" for the path selection, give your character a name and label (these are usually the same), choose a color for your soon to be slider, and for type, choose "modifier". I also recommend setting "minium" to zero. Then click on "create". Now, over in your properties tab, there's your new slider for your character (it will be gray unless you gave it a color, and have the name you gave it). Find it by entering it in the search window, if necessary. It should be already set to zero, and do nothing if you move it. 

Ok, so now you right click on this slider, and select "ERC freeze". You don't have to do anything in the menu box that opens except hit "accept". Now you'll see your new slider is set to 100%, and when you move it, it adds or subtracts your morphs to your character. Cool, no? Then you left click on the little pull box (it looks like three little lines and a triangle) for whatever pane your properties tab is in. It's tiny, but you'll see it there, usually at a corner. When you mouse over it, it will say, "click here to display options for the active plane". This will open a menu, and you want to select zero and zero your figure. You'll notice your slider is at zero again. That's all there is to it. Now if you move the slider, it starts at zero. 

Lastly, don't forget to save your slider by going to file>save as>support asset so it's there the next time you open Daz. 

Actually, you know what? I'm no expert on this sort of stuff (believe me!) and maybe you'll have better luck following in this thread or others like it: https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/144831/saving-morph-for-selling-character

Thanks!

The dials represent carefully constructed combinations of mophs and poses combined together. This means that these are not "poses" in the normal sense that you're used to in Daz, as they act upon the architecture and shaping of the character's face, rather than just moving it around.

Doesn't quite answer my question, I already know what pose controls are. Is there any new morph data in these?

Doesn't quite answer my question, I already know what pose controls are. Is there any new morph data in these?

What do you mean by "new morph data"? I'm not sure I understand your question.

• ALLIEKATBLUEALLIEKATBLUE Posts: 2,962

Can't wait for this for G3 males and for G8 as well

Can't wait for this for G3 males and for G8 as well

Coming soon!

Did you sculpt new morphs in an external modeling program, or are these dials that tell existing morphs and bones what to do?

• xyer0xyer0 Posts: 5,709

Daz should refund you part of their 50% cut for revolutionizing Genesis 3 expressions. Great job!

Did you sculpt new morphs in an external modeling program, or are these dials that tell existing morphs and bones what to do?

Ahhh, now I understand! No, these just use the existing morphs and bones. 

xyer0 said:

Daz should refund you part of their 50% cut for revolutionizing Genesis 3 expressions. Great job!

Thank you so much!

Ahhh, now I understand! No, these just use the existing morphs and bones. 

Thanks. smiley

• ericredericred Posts: 13

This product is amazing, I am getting a ton of use out of it! Hoping to see the next set soon as well as G8 versions! Thanks again for the great work!

• algovincianalgovincian Posts: 2,576

Grabbed both of your products yesterday and just wanted to say thanks for still supporting G3F - it's much appreciated. Looking forward to G3M versions of Happiness and Screams.

- Greg

• phenexusphenexus Posts: 0
    EquisVoid said:

Thanks for this advance

maraich said:

Thank you! The technique is still evolving, so I plan to issue updates to this first release in the future. And this also means that future releases will be even better.

When is the Gen 8 coming? This is the best one out there but I don't invest in Gen 3 :(

• d2houdinid2houdini Posts: 34

Hi there! Any chance this product will ever be ported to Genesis 8? It's the most realistic-looking smile kit I've seen on the Daz Store, and I would buy it in an instance if it supported the G8 models. Fingers crossed it might still be in the works.

d2houdini said:

Hi there! Any chance this product will ever be ported to Genesis 8? It's the most realistic-looking smile kit I've seen on the Daz Store, and I would buy it in an instance if it supported the G8 models. Fingers crossed it might still be in the works.

I did try, but alas, Genesis 8 was such a different figure in terms of its facial rigging and design, that it just wasn't workable. The variation in results from one figure to the next were so great, that in the end I couldn't get anything I could classify as stable and workable. I'd get a smile result that looked great on one figure, and it would look monsterous on another. I thought about making it figure specific--"Biometric expressions for Victoria 8" for example, but that wasn't viable in terms of return on time investment (which, sadly, is something I have to constantly consider). To make a universal version, I even tried incorporating morphs from the wonderful Auto Face Enhancer product by D.Master, but still couldn't get anything that stayed consistent enough from figure to figure, so in the end I moved on. There will undoubtedly be a Genesis 9 (or 8.5 or whatever it will be called, ha ha) in the future, and you can expect that I will be picking it apart to see what can be done with its facial expressions, but until then Biometric expressions will just be a Genesis 3 thing.

• d2houdinid2houdini Posts: 34

Those Things said:

I did try, but alas, Genesis 8 was such a different figure in terms of its facial rigging and design, that it just wasn't workable.

Thank you for the update! That's such a shame to hear that the setup wasn't workable for G8, but I totally understand - as you say in the original product's description, smiles and laughter are notoriously difficult to get "right". And I agree that the work has to be transferrable to more than just one character to be a viable product. If the G8 system doesn't make that possible, then it's always going to be an uphill battle.

I've been experimenting with NG Build Your Own Smile for Genesis 8.1 Female, which builds on top of 8.1's FACS system, and provides lots of dials to "tweak" its base smile settings to de-monstrous-ify them for individual characters. It still doesn't guarantee good results, however. Maybe the learning point here is that if I want a truly believable smile for a specific G8 character, I'm just going to need to put the work in tweaking morph packages myself :)