DAZ with Garibaldi to Carrara 8 Pro?

2»

Comments

• wetcircuitwetcircuit Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

shokan said:
    A side note:

Some of my problem with warming up to what I've seen so far are the figures the hair is on. I have a bias against Poser DAZ figures. They just have a certain unmistakable "look" that I can't really explain. This should not be a problem, though, if I really apply myself with what Genesis has to offer, creative skin texturing, etc..And, the hair. I'm really wondering if Carrara at the upper limits of its capabilities is sufficient to equal some works I've seen done with Mental Ray, pro painting software and the like.

The figures are certainly capable of more than what we usually see... While there are SOME limitations to software, the real limits are in the user's attention to detail and more than anything else: EFFORT.

Rikishi-Black_7.png
    450 x 600 - 212K
  • shokanshokan Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

shokan said:
    A side note:

Some of my problem with warming up to what I've seen so far are the figures the hair is on. I have a bias against Poser DAZ figures. They just have a certain unmistakable "look" that I can't really explain. This should not be a problem, though, if I really apply myself with what Genesis has to offer, creative skin texturing, etc..And, the hair. I'm really wondering if Carrara at the upper limits of its capabilities is sufficient to equal some works I've seen done with Mental Ray, pro painting software and the like.

The figures are certainly capable of more than what we usually see... While there are SOME limitations to software, the real limits are in the user's attention to detail and more than anything else: EFFORT.

For this image, I'd be interested to know if there was any work done afterwards in Photoshop for example. The eyes are quite good and wonder what the source was and if there was any PS work on them afterwards. Getting a bit of ways off the hair subject here.

• wetcircuitwetcircuit Posts: 0
    edited June 2013

shokan said:

For this image, I'd be interested to know if there was any work done afterwards in Photoshop for example. The eyes are quite good and wonder what the source was and if there was any PS work on them afterwards. Getting a bit of ways off the hair subject here.
    No postwork. This is straight out of Carrara. It's actually NOT one of the DAZ figures, He's a very old figure that has been discontinued from Renderosity, about the same age as Vicky2 or 3.... But with some of my skin shader tricks (procedural shaders in Carrara) mixed with his image maps.

Just showing you don't *need* a cutting edge mesh to get good results, but imho you do need to spend some time getting to know the shader room... There's no background or other scene objects but this image rendered in about 6min on my old 2x processor computer.

(There is no dynamic hair in this image either... )

Post edited by wetcircuit on
  • shokanshokan Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

(There is no dynamic hair in this image either... )

Sure there is. It's just on the inside. :)

That's a convincing face.