Wacky Modelling ~ In Carrara ~

Comments

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,073
    edited March 2018
    Diomede said:

Sorry, UB.  Missed your question somehow.  What exactly are you trying to do when you say you are adding more mesh to a shirt?  It makes a difference if it is a rigged model.

How do I know if a model is rigged?  Is most clothing sold in the Daz store rigged?

If rigging stops one from editing or adding in the model room, how do I "unrig" a model?  The animate tab for removing a sleleton is greyed out as well.

Diomede said:

Oh, and don't hesitate to ask.  .

There are still gaping holes in my understanding of Carrara, and 3D in general.  I desire to be sensitive to context.  Not wanting to hijack this particular thread with my issues. :)

Rigging is the term used for creating and attaching a bone skeleton to a model mesh.  So, yes, clothing models that are conforming are rigged.  Not all clothing models are rigged because some are simple meshes meant to be draped.  There are some that are both rigged ansd meant to be draped.  The practice is to complete the model mesh before attaching the skeleton.  After the model is attached to the bone skeleton, you can make morphs for the existing vertexes, but you can't add or subtract vertexes.

More here.  https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/233691/rigging-models-for-use-in-carrara#latest

I know Stezza doesn't mind, but lets take the conversation elsewhere anyway.  

Post edited by Diomede on
  • PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,139

You can "unrig" a model by loading the rigged version and then Export an OBJ of it. Then clear the scene and re-Import the OBJ and you have the taw model without rigging.

I'm not sure if it works in all cases but if you apply Edit/Smooth Objects (at the bottom of the Edit menu) to a rigged model with the default settings, it is often editable after that where it wasn't before.

• UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588

Thanks Phil.  I will give those methods a try next time I get in that situation.

Stezza and Bunyip - your cars are looking mighty fine. yes  Sorry to disrupt the thread.

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,795
    edited March 2018

I used this rabbit model to make his clothes for him.. 

my wacky modeling was to export the obj then reimport and start deleting polygons till I got near enough to what I wanted.. expanded it by a couple of % added thickness then exported it to import into DS so as to conform it back onto the rabbit figure... that was a couple of years ago when I did it but pretty close to what Phil says..

Bunny.jpg
    800 x 600 - 449K
    Post edited by Stezza on
    edited March 2018

Thanks Phil.  I will give those methods a try next time I get in that situation.

Stezza and Bunyip - your cars are looking mighty fine. yes  Sorry to disrupt the thread.

no apology needed..... go for it cool

The Compact Pussycat is proving to be a challenge for me.... Cats!!! no wonder laugh

Compact Pussycat.jpg
    752 x 616 - 56K
    Post edited by Stezza on

The Compact Pussycat, driven by Penelope Pitstop - a woman racer driving a pink feminine car with personal grooming facilities. Said facilities would sometimes backfire on the other racers - shampoo foam hitting them in their faces, for instance.

edited March 2018

OK, let us see the options on Penelope's dashboard.  Fantastic job.  Not an easy wacky car to model.

Here is one from me.

The Compact Pussycat got me in the mood.

jj01 josie and pussycat rocket.png
    800 x 600 - 100K
    jj josie 2.jpg
    1024 x 724 - 297K
    Post edited by Diomede on
  • MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

gleep gleep?  

Diomede said:

OK, let us see the options on Penelope's dashboard.  Fantastic job.  Not an easy wacky car to model.

Here is one from me.

cool yes

I don't recognise it .. is it off a show?

here is the dash smiley

Compact Pussycat DashLine render.jpg
    750 x 527 - 229K
  • Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 7,656
    Stezza said:
    Diomede said:

Here is one from me.

cool yes

I don't recognise it .. is it off a show?

here is the dash smiley

It's from here :-

Nice work Diomede !!!

Stezza you are mowing down those Wacky vehicles !!!!!

thanks @bunyip02

I've never seen that one before... surprise

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,795

I had and used to pretend my Dad's tyre gauge was the ship 

Ah the wonderful imagination of kids!  (Unless you were actually 23 at the time....!)

edited March 2018
    PhilW said:

Ah the wonderful imagination of kids!  (Unless you were actually 23 at the time....!)

was a kid cheeky 

did check dates and was as I thought 10 as remembered watching it when my cousin boarded with us just after my Dad and her Mum died.

I was a childish 10yo not like today's sophisticated tweens

still played with dolls though was into making clothes for them

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on

When I was a kid I was into making plastic model aircraft, after I got into Sci-Fi a number of those aircraft models got converted to spacecraft.

There was a lot of cross over among comics.  Josie had cross overs with Archie in the Riverdale setting.  You can see the De Carlo style in both.

Stezza said:
    Diomede said:

here is the dash smiley

Excellent job.  I was sort of angling to see if you had chosen to include the vibrator option, as discussed above.  Had forgotten about those vintage exercise belt machines.

th3Digit said:
    PhilW said:

was a kid cheeky 

did check dates and was as I thought 10 as remembered watching it when my cousin boarded with us just after my Dad and her Mum died.

feck!

that was sad to read   crying
    do you still have the pressure gauge thingy?

I kept two old butter knives from when I was a kid and still use them today .. cool

edited March 2018

next item up and racing

The Bullet-Proof Bomb (a.k.a. The Roaring Plenty), driven by The Ant Hill Mob (led by Clyde, with Danny, Kurby, Mac, Ring-A-Ding, Rug Bug Benny and Willy) - gangsters in a 1920's saloon car.

I couldn't get a wireframe render of this one as it just hung there doing nothing... hmmmm

Bulletproof Bomb comp.jpg
    900 x 900 - 203K
    Bulletproof Bomb.jpg
    800 x 600 - 154K
    Post edited by Stezza on

Looking great as always Stezza - I'll be back into modelling mode tomorrow, been side-tracked on a few other projects as well as real life stuff !!!!

Stezza said:
    th3Digit said:
    PhilW said:

was a kid cheeky 

feck!

that was sad to read   crying
    do you still have the pressure gauge thingy?

I kept two old butter knives from when I was a kid and still use them today .. cool

no but we had that exact same cuttlery set too

I think everyone of a certain age will be able to remember that knife!

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584

The handle finally disintigrated on my last knife of that type at the end of last year. I really need to find some replacements, cos it's a much better knife than most of the modern stainless steel trash cutlery.

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,922

The handle finally disintigrated on my last knife of that type at the end of last year. I really need to find some replacements, cos it's a much better knife than most of the modern stainless steel trash cutlery.

you could probably find a nice bit of bone somewhere and get Stezza to bang it into shape

easier to get one on eBay lol

edited March 2018

Tyre Fryer with details added. Now the fun bit - UV mapping !!!!!

Silo Tyre Fryer 8.png
    1130 x 838 - 219K
    Post edited by Bunyip02 on
    edited March 2018

coming along nicely bunyip yes

next in line ---

The Buzz Wagon driven by Rufus Ruffcut and Sawtooth - a lumberjack and a beaver in a wagon with buzzsaws for wheels, which gave it the ability to cut through almost anything, damaging or destroying the object in the process.

Buzz Wagon Exploded.jpg
    800 x 600 - 118K
    Buzz Wagon Drawing.jpg
    800 x 600 - 96K
    Buzz Wagon.jpg
    800 x 600 - 184K
    Post edited by Stezza on
    edited March 2018

sidetracked again.............. was hard to work out how it is supposed to look... couldn't find many good reference images on the interwebs!

Mistara said:

zoom zoom witchiepoo

witchiepoo.jpg
    800 x 600 - 130K
    Post edited by Stezza on
    edited March 2018

Very nice zoom broom !!!!!

Buzz wagon is a ripper too !!!!

Post edited by Bunyip02 on
This discussion has been closed.