Ultimate Iray Skin Manager [Commercial]

Comments

• JonnyRayJonnyRay Posts: 1,744

I've mentioned a few times in other threads, but my typical workflow when it comes to my character's skins is...

1. Load the character and their material settings
    2. Use an appropriate (No Map) preset from Divamakeup's Altern8 - Skin Shader System
    3. Compose and light the scene
    4. Open your Ultimate Iray Skin Manager to tweak the surfaces to get the best results

I rarely (if ever) do a scene where I haven't opened up the Skin Manager to make some adjustments based on the lighting of the scene.

I also need to put a shout out for your Skin Shading Essentials tutorial which helped so much in understanding how the various settings work and interact with each other. Because of that tutorial, I'm not blindly fiddling with dials, but rather making educated adjustments to get the effect I want.

• ps2000ps2000 Posts: 278

Does this product work well together with a skin shader like anagenesis 2 (according to the poster above me it seems to work well with altern8)?

So can I load the shader and tweak it then with skin manager (or are the two products incompatible)?

Thanks

• V3DigitimesV3Digitimes Posts: 3,057
    JonnyRay said:

I've mentioned a few times in other threads, but my typical workflow when it comes to my character's skins is...

1. Load the character and their material settings
    2. Use an appropriate (No Map) preset from Divamakeup's Altern8 - Skin Shader System
    3. Compose and light the scene
    4. Open your Ultimate Iray Skin Manager to tweak the surfaces to get the best results

I rarely (if ever) do a scene where I haven't opened up the Skin Manager to make some adjustments based on the lighting of the scene.

I also need to put a shout out for your Skin Shading Essentials tutorial which helped so much in understanding how the various settings work and interact with each other. Because of that tutorial, I'm not blindly fiddling with dials, but rather making educated adjustments to get the effect I want.

Nice feedback thanks! I'm glad you find it really useful!

ps2000 said:

Does this product work well together with a skin shader like anagenesis 2 (according to the poster above me it seems to work well with altern8)?

So can I load the shader and tweak it then with skin manager (or are the two products incompatible)?

Thanks

Yes normally it works with any shader based on Iray Uber Base, which is the case for Anagenesis 2, and altern8. I remember I had to tweak the manager so that it is compatible with Anagenesis (but I'm not sure 1 or 2), because Anagenesis removes the limits of certain properties to give them completely and hugely non physical properties. So for those properties the manager adapts some of its own properties limits to the current limits used by the shader. I tested on a few configurations and it seems it was OK. Nevertheless, whenever you have an issue with it, just let me know, because you have 99% of chances that updating the way I evaluate the limit of the properties in the interface solves this, and this is very easy to update. But as far as I tested it, it was fine also on Anagenesis.

• wsgentrywsgentry Posts: 572

Your tutorials are outstanding.  I learned so much in such a short periold of time!  Thank you!

Scott

• Bundling a big, thick tutorial/manual with a plugin is brilliant.  I haven't DL'd and read it yet, but I'm excited. There's so much detail in your listings that I bought the light manager and the scene optimizer as well, and wishlisted lots of other stuff.

geek-bigbooks270_grande.png
    270 x 270 - 17K

I tried to use skin manager to darken the skin of a genesis 3 character with anagenesis shaders added (in this case karen7, because the skin gets to white/bright with the shader added), but I am really overwhelmed by all the adjustment options and I don't have the nerve and time to work through the tutorial at the moment. Unfortunaley I couldn't find a solution by playing around with the programme for an hour. So could someone please give me a hint which options I have to change to solve my problem?

Thanks

• fastbike1fastbike1 Posts: 4,074

@ps2000

Increasing the translucency will darken skin. Daz original caucasian characters generally already translucency values that are too high.

Thanks.

Another question: How do I get the skin to look oily?

• Bundling a big, thick tutorial/manual with a plugin is brilliant.  I haven't DL'd and read it yet, but I'm excited. There's so much detail in your listings that I bought the light manager and the scene optimizer as well, and wishlisted lots of other stuff.

Thanks! This is more a global tutorial than a manual, since everything I show in the tutorial can be made using only the Surfaces Editor (as explained in the tutorial). Yet it can also be seen as a manual because you see the Skin Manager in action all along the tutorial :)

ps2000 said:

I tried to use skin manager to darken the skin of a genesis 3 character with anagenesis shaders added (in this case karen7, because the skin gets to white/bright with the shader added), but I am really overwhelmed by all the adjustment options and I don't have the nerve and time to work through the tutorial at the moment. Unfortunaley I couldn't find a solution by playing around with the programme for an hour. So could someone please give me a hint which options I have to change to solve my problem?

Thanks

When you darken a skin, you must also adjust the subsurface properties as they tend to take to much importance in the global skin balance.

fastbike1 said:

@ps2000

Increasing the translucency will darken skin. Daz original caucasian characters generally already translucency values that are too high.

Maybe it is better to darken the skin first using the Base Color and eventually Diffuse Weight, and then lower the translucency on the contrary, and to adjust other subsurface properties, to avoid the "hey my figure is a candle" effect.

ps2000 said:

Thanks.

Another question: How do I get the skin to look oily?

This was explained in the tutorial too. In the part concerning gloss.

• Hello

I am having trouble getting the interface to appear in Daz 4.12. When I go to the product in Daz all I see are the scripts and no way of getting the interace to pull up. Can you please help me with this. Thanks

edited December 2019
    OpenStory said:

Hello

I am having trouble getting the interface to appear in Daz 4.12. When I go to the product in Daz all I see are the scripts and no way of getting the interace to pull up. Can you please help me with this. Thanks

Hello,

I just tried in my Daz Studio 4.12 and I have no issue, neither with the previous version of this script, nor with the recently updated version of it. Can you tell me exactly what version of Daz Studio you are using, and on which figure you are trying to apply the script? Can you eventually try to install the script using DIM and tell me if you still have the issue?

edit : the Daz Connect update seems to have an issue for me too, whereas the manual install version of the file works fine. I'll contact Daz if this is confirmed, they will probably have to fix the Daz Connect installer.

EDIT 2 : ONLY THE MANUAL INSTALL WORKS WITH THE UPDATED VERSION, FOR NOW, THE DIM DOES NOT WORK, THE DAZ CONNECT DAZ NOT WORK (YET THEY ARE SUPPOSED TO BE THE SAME), BUT IT ONLY WORKS IF YOU DRAG AND DROP IT FROM YOUR BROWSER TO YOUR FIGURE. I THINK THERE IS AT LEAST AN ISSUE WITH THE WAY THE INSTALLERS WERE CREATED, BUT I'LL CHECK ON THE SCRIPT TOMORROW TOO. I'LL CONTACT DAZ TO SEE HOW THIS CAN BE UPDATED.

EDIT 3 : FINALLY, DIM AND MANUAL INSTALL BOTH WORK BUT YOU HAVE TO UNINSTALL THE DAZ CONNECT VERSION TO HAVE THEM WORKING. I WILL ANYWAY CONTACT DAZ TO SOLVE THE DAZ CONNECT INSTALLER ISSUE.

Thanks a lot for letting me know about this issue, and happy new year (2020 is in 1 minute now !)

Post edited by V3Digitimes on
  • OpenStory said:

Hello

Hello,

I just tried in my Daz Studio 4.12 and I have no issue, neither with the previous version of this script, nor with the recently updated version of it. Can you tell me exactly what version of Daz Studio you are using, and on which figure you are trying to apply the script? Can you eventually try to install the script using DIM and tell me if you still have the issue?

edit : the Daz Connect update seems to have an issue for me too, whereas the manual install version of the file works fine. I'll contact Daz if this is confirmed, they will probably have to fix the Daz Connect installer.

EDIT 2 : ONLY THE MANUAL INSTALL WORKS WITH THE UPDATED VERSION, FOR NOW, THE DIM DOES NOT WORK, THE DAZ CONNECT DAZ NOT WORK (YET THEY ARE SUPPOSED TO BE THE SAME), BUT IT ONLY WORKS IF YOU DRAG AND DROP IT FROM YOUR BROWSER TO YOUR FIGURE. I THINK THERE IS AT LEAST AN ISSUE WITH THE WAY THE INSTALLERS WERE CREATED, BUT I'LL CHECK ON THE SCRIPT TOMORROW TOO. I'LL CONTACT DAZ TO SEE HOW THIS CAN BE UPDATED.

EDIT 3 : FINALLY, DIM AND MANUAL INSTALL BOTH WORK BUT YOU HAVE TO UNINSTALL THE DAZ CONNECT VERSION TO HAVE THEM WORKING. I WILL ANYWAY CONTACT DAZ TO SOLVE THE DAZ CONNECT INSTALLER ISSUE.

Thanks a lot for letting me know about this issue, and happy new year (2020 is in 1 minute now !)

Thank you so very much for your response. I did a database update for my metadata and it appears to be working fine now. Thanks

OpenStory said:
    OpenStory said:

Hello

Hello,

Thank you so very much for your response. I did a database update for my metadata and it appears to be working fine now. Thanks

No problem. Does it work with the Daz Connect version or another version after your database update?

• OpenStory said:
    OpenStory said:

Hello

Hello,

No problem. Does it work with the Daz Connect version or another version after your database update?

I am actually not sure with this one how I had to get it downloaded into Daz. I don't maunally download so I'm sure it was through the download manager or inside of Daz

OpenStory said:
    OpenStory said:
    OpenStory said:

Hello

Hello,

I am actually not sure with this one how I had to get it downloaded into Daz. I don't maunally download so I'm sure it was through the download manager or inside of Daz

ok thanks!

•  
    ps2000 said:

Thanks

Yes normally it works with any shader based on Iray Uber Base, which is the case for Anagenesis 2, and altern8. I remember I had to tweak the manager so that it is compatible with Anagenesis (but I'm not sure 1 or 2), because Anagenesis removes the limits of certain properties to give them completely and hugely non physical properties. So for those properties the manager adapts some of its own properties limits to the current limits used by the shader. I tested on a few configurations and it seems it was OK. Nevertheless, whenever you have an issue with it, just let me know, because you have 99% of chances that updating the way I evaluate the limit of the properties in the interface solves this, and this is very easy to update. But as far as I tested it, it was fine also on Anagenesis.

I am a recently started user, my question is as follows.

I have been recommended to use "something" like Altern8 or Anagenessis (their reasons: a couple of clicks to noticeably improve most end results and reduce rendering time)

Perhaps this software does not do the same but also with the possibility of changing the color of the skin and having advanced options if you want to drill down?

From the answer I am quoting it seems that they are compatible software, that means that they perform different tasks ... what can I get from software like Altern8 that I cannot get directly from Ultimate skin manager?

Thank you!

ps2000 said:

Thanks

I am a recently started user, my question is as follows.

I have been recommended to use "something" like Altern8 or Anagenessis (their reasons: a couple of clicks to noticeably improve most end results and reduce rendering time)

Perhaps this software does not do the same but also with the possibility of changing the color of the skin and having advanced options if you want to drill down?

From the answer I am quoting it seems that they are compatible software, that means that they perform different tasks ... what can I get from software like Altern8 that I cannot get directly from Ultimate skin manager?

Thank you!

Ultimate Skin Manager will be compatible with any shader using Iray Uber base, (such as the products you mentionned, since it is the default shader for 99% of the currently used skins). Altern8 will propose you a limited number of already made presets, but you have "no knowledge required" on how a skin is shaded. The ultimate skin manager will allow you to access an unlimited number of presets, for any generation of figure (not limited to Genesis 8), but, even if the controls are organized by thems (skin tone, skin gloss, etc), skin manager requires that you have a minimum of knowledge of how to tweak a skin (not a lot, but the minimum), because you access, and you control all the key parameters for the skin in a 2 tabs interface (this is why you can reach any existing Iray Uber Base skin shader, such as Altern8, or any commercial skin shader, or Fantasy Skins, etc, etc).

This is why, for advanced users (or "old beginners"), ultimate skin manager exists "stand alone", and for the "new beginners", skin manager exist in a bundle including a video and paper tutorial on how to customize a skin (what are the key factors for skin tone and skin gloss - whatever the generation).

I hope this answers your question.

• Totally =)

thanks for reply so fast, I think I go to buy it and do the tutorial for understand it and have just one tool, more powerful and with more chooices

Totally =)

thanks for reply so fast, I think I go to buy it and do the tutorial for understand it and have just one tool, more powerful and with more chooices

No problem, happy I could help! Don't worry, the skin shading is pretty intuitive, especially with this interface, as soon as you know the basics. Take care, the tutorial is not provided by default with the interface, it is only included in the bundle (skin shading bundle). Happy rendering!

I checked that you could use the Iray Skin Manager with the new Filament (PBR). If you want to do so, you must launch the skin manager while you use Filament as the active viewport drawstyle (this way it will be added to the list of the drawstyles available).

I will add Filament "automatically" (i.e. no need to launch with a Filament viewport to have filament in the options) in an update to be soon developped.

• johnjohn808johnjohn808 Posts: 136
    edited November 2020

Thank you V3Digitimes.

I just wanted to say that this is the most useful, and used asset I have ever purchased.

It taught me about surface settings, and I use it on every single render, and has paid itself off multiple times over. 

I cannot recommend this product enough!

If I ever lost it, I`d buy it again in a heartbeat!

Post edited by johnjohn808 on

Thank you V3Digitimes.

I just wanted to say that this is the most useful, and used asset I have ever purchased.

It taught me about surface settings, and I use it on every single render, and has paid itself off multiple times over. 

THANK YOU!!!! I'm super happy to know how much useful it is for you ! I really appreciate your feedback!!!!

• Leonides02Leonides02 Posts: 1,379

Thank you V3Digitimes.

Super agree. I use it practically every day! It has made adjusting / perfecting my skin shaders sooo much easier!

Thank you V3Digitimes.

Super agree. I use it practically every day! It has made adjusting / perfecting my skin shaders sooo much easier!

yesyeslaugh

THANK YOU SO MUCH!

V3Digitimes, will this amazing product be updated to work with 8.1 and the new shader? Pretty please?

edited January 2021

Hi, thanks for asking. There will be two types of work I already began on this product :

1. Step1 : an update of the existing "Ultimate Iray Skin Manager", so that it can be also used on Genesis 8.1 figures WHEN (and only when) they use an IRAY UBER shader. Just to make sure this update is able to cover all the Genesis generations. I'll also ask a product description update so that things are clear that this one is limited to figures using Iray Uber Base as their skin shader.

2. Step 2 : an entirely new product "Ultimate PBR Skins Manager", because it is too complicated to try and integrate the specificities of "PBR skins Shader" in the current interface developped and optimized specifically for "Iray Uber Base" (their would be too many paramaters to include, and to remove, and to reorganise). I tried to combine them: after two days I stopped, it was a crazy mess both in the code and in the interface, and the more I tried, the more my efforts were useless.

Of course in the schedule, 1. will come before 2. I hope this answers your question.

Post edited by V3Digitimes on
  • evilded777evilded777 Posts: 2,440

V3Digitimes said:

Hi, thanks for asking. There will be two types of work I already began on this product :

1. Step1 : an update of the existing "Ultimate Iray Skin Manager", so that it can be also used on Genesis 8.1 figures WHEN (and only when) they use an IRAY UBER shader. Just to make sure this update is able to cover all the Genesis generations. I'll also ask a product description update so that things are clear that this one is limited to figures using Iray Uber Base as their skin shader.

2. Step 2 : an entirely new product "Ultimate PBR Skins Manager", because it is too complicated to try and integrate the specificities of "PBR skins Shader" in the current interface developped and optimized specifically for "Iray Uber Base" (their would be too many paramaters to include, and to remove, and to reorganise). I tried to combine them: after two days I stopped, it was a crazy mess both in the code and in the interface, and the more I tried, the more my efforts were useless.

Of course in the schedule, 1. will come before 2. I hope this answers your question.

Thank you.  Your products are an indespendible part of my workflow and I would be lost without them.

Thanks, it makes me really happy to read this.

As I mentioned in another thread, I'll update everything which can be updated for Genesis 8.1, or make equivalent products when an update is not possibe. I'll do it as fast as I can knowing that I have anyway to create new stuff too (because taxes are huge in my country and don't care about the release of Genesis 8.1)! I'll begin with the most simple products to update, in order to update more products at the beginning. Then I'll go on with the "big updates" (the most difficult ones). I'll let you know in the corresponding thread each time an update is submitted, and each time it is live in store.

V3Digitimes said:

Totally understandable that it will need to be a new product. I'll buy it in a heartbeat! Your manager makes it soooo easy to tweak skins and make them looking perfect!

Thank you for your hard work. 

• MoreTNMoreTN Posts: 219

This is one of the reasons you are one of my favourite PAs.