• Philemo_CarraraPhilemo_Carrara Posts: 1,175

New version is available for download - see project files page

A quick video:

• Persona Non GrataPersona Non Grata Posts: 1,365
    edited March 2021

Post edited by Persona Non Grata on
  • BrianP21361BrianP21361 Posts: 791

Philemo,

I'm very excited to try this! When do you think you'll have a Mac version available?

Brian

A little more explanations:

The idea behind this new feature is to exploit as much data as possible from Studio material, including Iray or other shaders type. The result may be better, equivalent or worst, depending on the quality of the material itself, the lighting in the scene and lighting model used is Studio. In the other hand, as all data will be in the shader (specular map, reflection map, normal map...), it will be easier to tweak if need be.

the DUF file is to be applied to the imported par containing vertex data (usually the "model part").

In the effect tab of primitives, the is a new widget allowing drag & drop of DUF files. All shaders included in the Duf file will be imported, even if not used on this particular model (it's particularly true for scene Preset shading many primitives).

It's still in Beta Stage. Please be sure to report any issue.

Have fun

Philemo,

I'm very excited to try this! When do you think you'll have a Mac version available?

Brian

Next week

Philemo said:

Philemo,

Brian

Next week

Excellent! I'll clear my calendar. 

• 3drendero3drendero Posts: 2,017
    Great news! Thanks for the update! Just started to look for Iray shaders for testing. This thread lists 4 options to get Iray shaders on older V4-G2 characters. Some free, some paid: https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/188696/rendering-genesis-2-figures-using-iray
    Philemo said:

Philemo,

Brian

Next week

Excellent! I'll clear my calendar. 

Sorry, I have issue with the OSX version. Some code that works like a charm on Windows doesn't in OSX. I have to go in the debug process. It may take some time...

Philemo,

It's worth the wait!

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,922
    Philemo said:

New version is available for download - see project files page

A quick video:

wonderous!! Thanks so much Philemo, can't wait to get a chance to play with this

For Mac users:

The OSX version is available here

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584

W00T! Thanks Philemo smiley

Thanks. Can't wait to try it!

• UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588

Philemo, I'm not a Mac user, but you continue to astound.

Alright, finally have the time for a quick field test of the latest version. Thanks again Philemo!

Using the Cyborg V4 figure and its newly added Iray materials, this is what I get in Carrara 8.5 Pro.
    The scene is the Carrara default medium (single light), with the DS Iray HDRI added as a background and 0% Ambient. Checked Skylight and Indirect light.
    The 4 figures from the left are:
    A. Loaded in Carrara. B. Added gamma 1.4. C. Changed to Iray materials with the PBRL plugin (no gamma). D. Changed to Iray materials (gamma 1.4).

Also added the default DS render, no changes except "Draw Dome ON" render setting.

The glowing eyes are scary, but the shiny chrome needs more shine, but it is shiny in the OpenGL preview.

CyberV4_Iray_PBRtest.PNG
    1920 x 1025 - 1M
    cyberV4e.png
    1080 x 1080 - 839K
    edited June 2018
    Thank you very much for testing the plugin. If there is a metal map in the shader, then it needs something to reflect. As you have an HDRI map on, it should be taken care of. An other possibility is that the albedo is very dark, thus limiting the reflection power. I think it's a bug in my implementation of metallic reflection. According to the PBR Theory, métal reflecion is coloured by albedo. That's exactly what I did, but I should have been more subtle in my interpretation. It reflects the albedo tint, but the value should be left to the metal map. Black albedo with a 50 percent reflection should reflect grey, not black. I'll try to post an other version tomorrow.
    Post edited by Philemo_Carrara on
    And I'm very happy to see that, even if the result isn't yet perfect, importing the IRAY shader does improve it.

Funny, loading up Victoria 6 and applying the Iray shaders for Genesis2 provided for DS, turns her natural skin to chrome in the preview, like the Cyborg...

Loading the Ready to Render scene called Day at the beach in Carrara. https://www.daz3d.com/day-at-the-beach-bundle
    Adding the HDRI taken from DS/Iray and adding Skylight/Indirect light in Carrara.
    A: Rendered as is. B. Adding the Genesis2 Iray shaders with the PBRL plugin. C.Adding the DP V6 Carrara shaders.

R2R_DatB_Carrara.PNG
    1920 x 993 - 2M
    edited June 2018
    This one I've tried :-). The Genesis 2 IRAY shader is provided without map. I suppose that in Studio, it somehow keep the existing maps. Unfortunately, it's not the way the importer works. I think you would need to export a complete material from Studio.
    Post edited by Philemo_Carrara on
    edited June 2018

Nice, getting some better results with the normal DS materials for the older 3Delight engine.

A.The DP V6 Carrara shaders. https://www.daz3d.com/dp-victoria-6-carrara-shaders
    B. V6 Elite texture Anna loaded with PBRL plugin: https://www.daz3d.com/victoria-6-hd-add-on
    C. Vianne for V6 materials loaded with PBRL plugin https://www.daz3d.com/vianne-for-victoria-6
    D. Victoria 6 Bree texture loaded with PBRL plugin, part of the Victoria 6 base I think 

R2R_DatB_Carrara3.PNG
    1920 x 1031 - 2M
    Post edited by 3drendero on

Tried the new Mac version last night and it's terrific. I need to go back a read through this thread to get the most out of it. Thanks again Philemo!

Thought that this free scene for testing would be a good tool for the plugin testing.
    But I went from black Carrara default loading to mostly white and a small reflection with the plugin, not so helpful for testing...

https://www.daz3d.com/light-probe-tool

Found another store item with Iray shaders; https://www.daz3d.com/dark-fantasy-weapons-for-genesis-3-and-8-female-s
    The render includes both the Carrara default shaders and the PBRL plugin shaders which usually is shining.
    Same simple scene, one HDRI and the Carrara default light.

tools.PNG
    1919 x 724 - 527K
  • magaremotomagaremoto Posts: 1,226
    edited June 2018

my very first try with the plugin

from left to right (above to below):

carrara native - carrara through Philemo's plugin - imported obj file through D/S

no post work

more samples on the way

CARRARA.jpg
    3840 x 3736 - 3M
    CARRARA+PHILEMO.jpg
    3840 x 3736 - 3M
    DS OBJ.jpg
    3840 x 3736 - 3M
    Post edited by magaremoto on
    edited June 2018

second test

carrara.jpg
    3840 x 2160 - 2M
    carrara+philemo.jpg
    3840 x 2160 - 2M
    ds obj.jpg
    3840 x 2160 - 2M
    Post edited by magaremoto on
    edited June 2018

Here are some tests with Darius 7. The first render is for native Carrara, no adjustments. The second is with PBR and metallic turned off. The third is PBR with no metallic and less shineness. I could get similar results with the native renderes if I took the time to load all the other maps. They don't translate. This gives a good rener and saves a lot of time. It's terrific! 

In all cases I've used two distant lights with shadow blur. 

Darius 7 Carrara.png
    1000 x 750 - 162K
    Darius 7 PBR.png
    1000 x 750 - 169K
    Darius 7 PBR Less Shiny.png
    1000 x 750 - 167K
    Post edited by BrianP21361 on

New version correcting the bug in reflection is available.

A huge thank you to all testers.

@3drendero Would you mind retesting your Cyborg render with the new version?

@BrianP21361 That's the idea. I don't believe in a "one size fit all" converter. But loading all the maps and limiting the amount of tweaking is IMHO a good step forward.

@magaremoto Nice renders, as usual. In your second set of test images, the difference is obvious. I find the PBR render a bit high on highlights. What kind of lighting are you using ?

Hi Philippe,

I have tested your plugin with an AO based lighting environment, it works fine, only the reflections are too strong and a bit weird, so I assume I have to play with them around; as you can see there's also the obj version of iray materials imported via D/S to see the difference with baked reflection maps

edited June 2018

Latest plugin dated 12 june. Carrara native left, plugin right of Cyber V4 Iray:

CyberV4_beta2.PNG
    1920 x 964 - 947K
    Post edited by 3drendero on