New beta available: PBR, microfacets, Disney, Fresnel and tutti quanti

Comments

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

what about a pbr shader recipe for carrara hair?

i've been making a lot of use lately of the sample hairs that came with the native content.

Thanks!

any way to save a carrara pbr shader preset for poser cycles?

it's been years and years since i used those plugs and wires in poser.  eeks

i guess the next logical step is to start learning the hdri dome plugin. smiley

• A new site with free PBD textures : https://www.cgbookcase.com/textures

edited April 2021

seeing nice shaders for bricks, wood floors

havent found anything for plain old dirt.

found some mud. at one of the sites linked at the beginning

Mud with Vegetation PBR Material

Post edited by Mistara on

the mud has extra jpgs.

height, metallic.  not sure where they go  ?

• Philemo_CarraraPhilemo_Carrara Posts: 1,175
    edited April 2021

If you go in the "file" menu, you'll find a new entry (import PBR from directory). 

If all the map you've downloaded are in the same directory, you'll be guided for the import. No need to do it by hand.

see this post

Post edited by Philemo_Carrara on

woes, last night i organized them into one big happy folder, cuz the files names are all prefixed

]br folder.PNG
    517 x 565 - 43K

I did the import from folder.  it did most of the work.
    it didn't recognize the normal map.
     it didn't find a place for the height jpg
    it created a preset in the lil shader tab.
    i opened the infinite plane in the shader room, 
    changed the top shader to pbr lighting mode.

i double clicked the pbr shader.  https://freepbr.com

spruit_s

hdr rock and beach.PNG
    707 x 526 - 89K
    pbr mud shader.PNG
    981 x 434 - 186K
    pbr height.PNG
    1014 x 465 - 134K
    Doc7.png
    1280 x 720 - 1M
    Doc5.png
    1280 x 720 - 852K

AW, thought i was saving the jpgs internally.  only the first 1 saved,  i already deleted the others.
    i'm sure there was a song about starting over

ohh no.  my recent file list is long, the import options disappeared.

i didnt get to try the import iray.  does it import the jpgs for all the figure's shader domains?

genesis 8.1, they giving roughness maps lately.

edited April 2021

found a page about height map.  https://www.cgbookcase.com/textures/how-to-use-pbr-textures-in-blender#header-Height
    is a type of normal map or can be used as displacement.

i spent the last 6 hours on the steel plate shader.  was a total fail.  tried the import.  tried doing it manually step by stp.

tried different hdrs, took off the background and light dome. added a single shape light.

dunno what to try next.  thought this is perfect for a space station or death star floor

https://freepbr.com/materials/steel-plate1/

my feeble attempt. on a cube primitive and plane

steel plate.png
    1280 x 720 - 846K
  • BrianP21361BrianP21361 Posts: 791

I downloaded a test PBR from Freepbr. It looks very nice. Native Carrara render. Thanks for the link.

Brass.png
    640 x 480 - 373K

BrianP21361 said:

I downloaded a test PBR from Freepbr. It looks very nice. Native Carrara render. Thanks for the link.

that looks beautiful.  dunno what i'm doing wrong?    thinkin i'm a pbr spazz 

was there a dedicated render thread for PBR HDR renders?

did luxcore count as pbr?

Mystiarra said:

I did the import from folder.  it did most of the work.
    it didn't recognize the normal map.
     it didn't find a place for the height jpg
    it created a preset in the lil shader tab.
    i opened the infinite plane in the shader room, 
    changed the top shader to pbr lighting mode.

i double clicked the pbr shader.  https://freepbr.com

spruit_s

found some of the free pbrs didnt spell out normal. 
    military-panel1-nmap-ogl 

ready to try the import studio shader. angel
    dunno if it can count as a pbr shader if is just an albedo and a bump map.

edited April 2021

BrianP21361 said:

did you set tiling?  was it high?

i been incrementing, up to 8, not making much of a difference yet 

THanks.

i'm trying the antique grating.

antique grating.png
    1280 x 947 - 996K

Yes. I had to adjust the tiling. I used 4 x 4 and set it to seamless. It has to be adjusted in a lot of places. Also, make sure that you have a good HDRI image in the background. That helps a lot.

It looks like you used the normal map in the displacement channel for the steel plate. I just put it in the bump map because it seemed to match the shader better. The steel plate looks better with displacement. 

Good luck. 

thanks.

doh  i set the tiles number but forgot to tick the tiling box. 
    marathoning pbr hdr is febbbling my brain.  silly mishaps

i dont understand the new rules for idl and caustics..  finally memorized where the render alpha channel is

havent come across pbr for semi precious stone

jade, tiger eye, lapis lazuli, limestone.

pearl, opal with the pretty colours inside 

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,210

Was that a plane or an infinite plane? Try working with non-infinite objects until you get the hang of it. BTW, you can use an infinite plane, but you'll need to tile every channel that uses a map. Just start with something simple to see it work first. Then move on from there. 

I would also suggest Not using "Internal" and then deleting the textures. That's just asking for trouble. Let's say you get the shader working but you like to put that texture into another slot, where will you get the now missing texture from? General rule - don't delete resources that you think you're going to need! Only use Internal if you want someone to be able to open a file without downloading all of the resources, otherwise just don't use it.

It's a powerful thing to be able to change our minds on a texture without losing it completely.

If space is an issue, try downloading only the textures you are ready to try. Give them a nice permanent place to live on one of your hard drives, and leave them there. "Internal" will add all of that extra weight to your Carrara file. Carrara is part of your computer. And if there's one thing that computers can do well is to follow a simple address to a given folder. 

Just try to think of everything as being installed by an install manager, and going exactly where it needs to go. Start with a simple scene without a whole lot of (any?) out-of-the-ordinary, custom settings and crazy goings on, and go back to this post that philemo wanted you to see and start small.

Work success with a treat. Add one crazy thing that you didn't in that test scene that worked. If it stops working, you'll know that this crazy thing doesn't jive with what you're trying to do. Repeat with the next crazy thing, etc., and repeat.

Just two cents.

You got this, girl! I know you can do it!

Also, check out this set of tutorials for one of the best tools to help you on your way to going full-on PBR

Crash Course in Materialize

Here's the first one in the series

He wastes No time, so you may need to watch it through a second time with your hand on the Pause button - but this is good. This way we can find out what it's all about, then go back and absorbe the details ;)

thanks.  every pbr resource is the preshusss

i was wondering if the 256 lights has anything to do with the 255 RGBs

• Mystiarra said:

thanks.  every pbr resource is the preshusss

i was wondering if the 256 lights has anything to do with the 255 RGBs

Not really.

The process of analysing the HDR is binary and it involves tthat the resulting number of lights is a power of 2. 256 lights is a number commonly accepted in research papers as the optimal cost-benefit ratio. But you can go to 512 or 1024 if the result is not good enough. 

Also, In RGB, a color is defined as a mixture of pure red, green, and blue lights of various strengths. Each of the red, green and blue light levels is encoded as a number in the range 0.. 255, with 0 meaning zero light and 255 meaning maximum light.

so many experiments to try.

would there be any way to blend the line between shader domains (material zones)?
    like around the lips, between the brick and grout.
    to make it more organic looking?

would be nice to replace some of those jpgs with procedurals, or at the least, with tiny tiling seamless pngs.

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,073

Mystiarra said:

would there be any way to blend the line between shader domains (material zones)?

would be nice to replace some of those jpgs with procedurals, or at the least, with tiny tiling seamless pngs.

The amazing Evilproducer created a procedural shader for V4 in which he claims to have softened the transitions between some of the regions mentioned.  See

https://sharecg.com/v/77436/gallery/7/Material-and-Shader/Carrara-V4-Procedural-Skin-Shader-and-hair

Diomede said:

Mystiarra said:

The amazing Evilproducer created a procedural shader for V4 in which he claims to have softened the transitions between some of the regions mentioned.  See

https://sharecg.com/v/77436/gallery/7/Material-and-Shader/Carrara-V4-Procedural-Skin-Shader-and-hair

I was planning to say the same thing when I was reading her post!

evilproducer uses that system still, and is quite proficient at tweaking it to make individuals look individual. Given time, I could find the plugin by either Fenric, Philemo, Sparrowhawke 3D or DCG that can do various things with edges of domains.

Having never tried Procedural Lock yet, and my figures are all meant for animation, I still prefer to use maps. All of the maps used on my main characters and even some of the background folks and creatures have customized textures. Photoshop and Affinity Photo have cloning tools that are great for replacing parts of an image with other parts of the image, and I use Howler to make my own custom brushes directly from parts of the skin, and custom, faded selections to make it easier for me to be precise with what I want to do.

Another thing I love about using maps is that I can make grayscale maps to combine entirely different maps together using the Mixer, with my grayscale mask telling the shader where to use each of the two maps - Black = Source 1, White = Source 2, and everywhere in between blends the two depending on how dark or light the gray is.

...and now I want to try my hand at using Materialize to make my own Normal maps and perhaps a few of the other options. 

Mystiarra said:

I'm not 100% sure this is what you mean, but I use Multi Channel Mixer when I want to use two procedural shaders on the same shading domain. I use a grey scale image (Blender) to dtermine which procedure gets applied where. If you use soft lines or blur the image, I think it will give you the smooth transition you are looking for. More blur, the smoother the transition.