Mr Hugo Ball Website

HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964
edited March 2018 in Carrara Discussion

Hya, just wanted to share my website I made to talk up my show at Maitland Regional Art Gallery.

I'd be honoured if you take a look.

Everything made in Carrara.

Cheers :)

https://www.mrhugoball.com/

Post edited by Headwax on

Comments

• UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588

Hw, I think that the honor is ours.  We are lucky to have you in the Carrara community.

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964
    edited March 2018

Hw, I think that the honor is ours.  We are lucky to have you in the Carrara community.

Ha ha flattery will get you everywhere. If there was no community here I would still be knocking on the door.

Thanks for your kindness!

Presently I am rendering out a huge sculpture that drips water for a friend of mine (well known artist) as a suprise. He is trying to get a commision and I'm sure this will help.

He does huge kinetic sculptures. 

Carrara is a terrific tool.

Something Easterful

Detail of my homage to Fra Angelico's (d.1455) work 'The Crucifixion' (1420).

The Virgin collapsed in grief.

Image may contain: 2 people

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584

Very nicely talked up, sir!

Some of those images are a little disturbing, not least that bloke with the accent talking in the video. Awfully well done! yes

• Persona Non GrataPersona Non Grata Posts: 1,365
    edited March 2021

Post edited by Persona Non Grata on
  • Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 8,334

Very nice website Headwax, hope you get some nice sales to go with it !!!!!

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125

Great interview.  Have to admit that it made me a little uncomfortable for all the homages that I do.  Misappopriate? On the other hand, it made me much more comfortable with all the homages that I do.  References?  

Congratulations.  Wonderful work and website.

• SileneUKSileneUK Posts: 1,970

Some of those images are a little disturbing, not least that bloke with the accent talking in the video. Awfully well done! yes

Way to go Andrew... and you have a lovely voice as well... your Oz accent is very soft.

I noticed your 'nod' to Lascaux... is that or Chauvet a project in mind?  Recently there has been re-dating of some of the Spanish caves, attributing early handprints and some shapes to Neanderthals.

You just amaze me with your boundless creativity and how you bring digital tools into it in a way that only we can dream of. Hats off! 

yesheart Silene

PS... Vyusur is another talented artist here who explores and creates in such a deep and profound way. http://vyusur.com/

We are so lucky!!!

• Steve KSteve K Posts: 3,226
    head wax said:

Presently I am rendering out a huge sculpture that drips water for a friend of mine (well known artist) as a suprise. He is trying to get a commision and I'm sure this will help.

Very impressive art (and website!)  

I am a big fan of kinetic sculpture, e.g. Jean Tinguely:

Looking at some of the images, somehow H. Bosch came to mind.  I used his "Garden Of Earthly Delights" in a short Carrara animation:

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,988

Headwax for PM

awesome yes

thanks TA :) ah it;s so good when they are disturbing! The kids going to the show just delight in the worst ones! Ha ha  the funny accent - that took me years to perfect....

Selina said:

Beautiful work of a provocative nature cast against a clinical, digital age...

Thank you for sharing your digital genius and artistic perspective with us. I particularly enjoyed listening to your interview and one quote will stay with me, "In Newcastle, it takes longer to starve!" This would be a great subject for an exhibition, don't you think? In fact your whole interview made me think... from plague to plagiarism; how art has permeated the centuries and artists consumed the detritus of the imperfect human condition!

Not just in the immediate visual world of the Arts, but the aural one too, artists (musicians, poets and the like) have 'borrowed' from previous sources upon which to construct their works. I, like you, feel that Art should be free to investigate, record, tantalise, educate, challenge and remind without the intrusion of political, commercial or religious prejudice (all done in the 'best possible' of motives.)

I have more to say, but I shall abstain and content myself with wishing you every success with your exhibition in Australia, I hope it achieves for you that which you most desire for it and congratulate you on your digital prowess (at your age [you're a little bit older than me.])

Selina wink

Hey thanks Selina :) yes it's hard at my age - the nurses won't let me at the computer as much as I like :) Yes I  have been living in a rundown working class city which has recently been gentrified and revitalised - same old story - artists move in, make it a wonderful place where everybody wants to live, the developers see their opportunity and move in, bull doze the old wharehouses etc that artists use as studios, build apartment blocks, then the artists move somewhere else because they are starving too quickly now - montmartre without Picasso.

Yes, while I was feeling bad about Manet's serial missappropriations and doing some research for a talk I had to give, I read that Manet and Degas actially met in the Louvre while they were both coping the same Velázquez​ work - and of course copying work has been one way artists have taught themselves for hundreds of years.

and yes you are perfectly right that it is the same in other 'arts'. Literature, architecture etc. No one works in a vacuum, we all build on what has come before. It's a matter of giving ourself permission to do so.

Thanks for your kindness and well wishes!

Bunyip02 said:

Very nice website Headwax, hope you get some nice sales to go with it !!!!!

thanks Bunyip02 - so far it's break even :) Ie gallery pays me to show plus I sell some work quietly if people ask  (it's something they don't advertise) It's interesting what has sold as they are editions of 15 -  so several of some, none of others. The Vermeer is popular as is the Naked Manequins (Ball in Bellmer's Mannequin Studio)

hopefully the show will go travelling so that will balance the finances!

Diomede said:

Great interview.  Have to admit that it made me a little uncomfortable for all the homages that I do.  Misappopriate? On the other hand, it made me much more comfortable with all the homages that I do.  References?  

Congratulations.  Wonderful work and website.

Hey thanks :) Never feel uncomfortable. We don't work in a vacuum , best to take on board everything we can. That said, I screwed up twice badly while making images for the show - when I homaged Norman Rockwell and Norman Lindsay far too closely! 

accidental plagiarism, so the works got binned.

thanks for the congrats!

edited March 2018
    SileneUK said:

Way to go Andrew... and you have a lovely voice as well... your Oz accent is very soft.

I noticed your 'nod' to Lascaux... is that or Chauvet a project in mind?  Recently there has been re-dating of some of the Spanish caves, attributing early handprints and some shapes to Neanderthals.

You just amaze me with your boundless creativity and how you bring digital tools into it in a way that only we can dream of. Hats off! 

yesheart Silene

PS... Vyusur is another talented artist here who explores and creates in such a deep and profound way. http://vyusur.com/

We are so lucky!!!

Greetings Silene, thank you for the kind words :) :)

Ah yes Lascaux and Egyptian wall paintings were in my mind, but at best they would have been characatures so I avoided them. 

Mind you, if I did archeaogical illustrations it would be terrific subject matter.  The scene of an ancient human sitting in the dirt at the cave entrance, seen from behind, the light streaming in from the jungle, the remains of a still smouldering campfire over on the side...

Recently there has been re-dating of some of the Spanish caves, attributing early handprints and some shapes to Neanderthals.

That's wonderful - I always had a soft spot for  Neanderthals when I found out many years ago they buried their dead with flowers. And then so recently we discover we have their DNA !!

Trolls under bridges suddenly make sense. 

Yes I love Vyusur's work - she is a gem amongs the gems.

edited March 2018
    Steve K said:
    head wax said:

Very impressive art (and website!)  

I am a big fan of kinetic sculpture, e.g. Jean Tinguely:

Looking at some of the images, somehow H. Bosch came to mind.  I used his "Garden Of Earthly Delights" in a short Carrara animation:

Hi thanks Mr K!! :)

Ah I love your Bosch work and the punchline at the end!

You are very observant - I did two Bosch works for the show (Ship of Fools and Exctracting The Stone of Madness) and wacked the ink bird from the Garden of Earhly Delights into one . 

How could I leave out Bosch :) ?!!!  And Goya was a feast for the eyes. 

Those kinetic sculptures of Jean Tinguely are really something - thanks for sharing that!

Here's a bit of the inkbird which I dropped into  'Extracting the Stone of Madness"

inkbird1.jpg
    2000 x 1807 - 3M
  • VyusurVyusur Posts: 2,235

Andrew, the site is very impressive! Your compositions are always stunning, although you so like all the Ms4 and Vs4. Good luck in this direction!

Silene, Andrew, you are so kind to me. Thank you ever so much!

Stezza said:

Headwax for PM

awesome yes

hey yes move over Mr Menzies! thanks Dave :) cheers!

Vyusur said:

Andrew, the site is very impressive! Your compositions are always stunning, although you so like all the Ms4 and Vs4. Good luck in this direction!

Silene, Andrew, you are so kind to me. Thank you ever so much!

Thanks Vyusur for your kind words. Ah yes V4 and m4 is what works on my set up. Though my brief foray into genesis I loved it  - so simple and powerful

I couldnt stomach the save times nor the file sizes  that's all :)

Oh the words on your artistry are well deserved :)

Andrew, why don't you want to try to use Misty's figures? They are much, much more flexible in many ways and almost perfect and almost weightless? And if you don't want to mess with clothing weight conversion, at least you have G2 in reserve. They eat less of disc space and ram to load.

Vyusur said:

Andrew, why don't you want to try to use Misty's figures? They are much, much more flexible in many ways and almost perfect and almost weightless? And if you don't want to mess with clothing weight conversion, at least you have G2 in reserve. They eat less of disc space and ram to load.

thanks Vyusur - I will have a look!! thanks for the headsup :)

My pleasure smiley

• cdordonicdordoni Posts: 583
    head wax said:

Recently there has been re-dating of some of the Spanish caves, attributing early handprints and some shapes to Neanderthals.

That's wonderful - I always had a soft spot for  Neanderthals when I found out many years ago they buried their dead with flowers. And then so recently we discover we have their DNA !!

I think its its the post-Neanderthal DNA that is a problem. The trolls are most likely the result of uplift (aka David Brin).

• JamyJamy Posts: 192

J'aime beaucoup, :)

athmosphère très impressionnant où l'on voit nettement l'influence de Jerome Bosch sur certaines images.
    Bravo pour les ambiances et les éclairages
    //////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

I really like, :)

very impressive atmosphere where one sees clearly the influence of Jerome Bosch on certain images.
    Bravo for ambiances and lighting

head wax said:
    Stezza said:

Headwax for PM

awesome yes

Taking charge of the cricket team would be a good starting point... you two could sort it out! devil Silene

edited March 2018
    head wax said:
    SileneUK said:

yesheart Silene

We are so lucky!!!

Ah yes Lascaux and Egyptian wall paintings were in my mind, but at best they would have been characatures so I avoided them. 

Mind you, if I did archeaogical illustrations it would be terrific subject matter.  The scene of an ancient human sitting in the dirt at the cave entrance, seen from behind, the light streaming in from the jungle, the remains of a still smouldering campfire over on the side...

This is a tongue in cheek (or not!) comic I made for a course lecturer not long ago... poor 'saps'  in the last frame = homo sapiens   wink Silene

School-Of-Rock-Art.png
    1170 x 1564 - 3M
    Post edited by SileneUK on
  • DesertDudeDesertDude Posts: 1,235

Stunning, beautiful and exquisite work! Congratulations on your show - I hope you sell them all!

• Steve KSteve K Posts: 3,226
    head wax said:
    Steve K said:
    head wax said:

Here's a bit of the inkbird which I dropped into  'Extracting the Stone of Madness"

Ah, yes.  Bosch makes me want to "have what he's having".  Or maybe not. surprise

In any case, very nice work.

cdordoni said:
    head wax said:

I think its its the post-Neanderthal DNA that is a problem. The trolls are most likely the result of uplift (aka David Brin).

ha ha yes, we can blame his publishers for letting the idea into the universe :)

Jamy said:

J'aime beaucoup, :)

athmosphère très impressionnant où l'on voit nettement l'influence de Jerome Bosch sur certaines images.
    Bravo pour les ambiances et les éclairages
    //////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

I really like, :)

very impressive atmosphere where one sees clearly the influence of Jerome Bosch on certain images.
    Bravo for ambiances and lighting

Bonjour Jamy, merci beaucoup. Bosch est merveilleux, n'est-ce pas? Eh bien, il était :) Je suis content que vous ayez apprécié mon travail!

SileneUK said:
    head wax said:
    Stezza said:

Headwax for PM

awesome yes

Taking charge of the cricket team would be a good starting point... you two could sort it out! devil Silene

Ah well, each to their own :) I am not sure what they have been up to, I think they just needed the press :) Cricket's too dangerous for me. That liitle ball is so hard!

SileneUK said:
    head wax said:
    SileneUK said:

yesheart Silene

We are so lucky!!!

This is a tongue in cheek (or not!) comic I made for a course lecturer not long ago... poor 'saps'  in the last frame = homo sapiens   wink Silene

that's superb, it had me laughing out loud ! and it's alittle bit poignant too