BRYCE RENDER CHALLENGE ♦♦♦♦♦.SUMMER EDITION ♦♦♦♦♦ "Beatiing the Heat" ~~~~~ WIP THREAD

Comments

• GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    GussNemo said:
    I can't remember if the book I bought was New or like new, but it was in excellent condition when it arrived. It even had the CD attached to the back cover. It's probably the first book I've purchased that didn't start out thinking the reader knew what the author was talking about when a topic was presented. A lot of writers could take lessons from how the material in this book is presented.

Just FYI the Authors of the book were also involved in producing the official Bryce 4 manual, and the Real World book was designed to take up where the manual left of, basically. My manual was in Mint condition when I passed it on to someone else who had lost their copy somehow, but Real World is well thumbed and used frequently.

So that's why my thumb is sore.:cheese:

• JStryderJStryder Posts: 168
    edited December 1969

There's no better way
    to beat the heat
    than to jump into
    an ice cold lake.

Water3_TA.jpg
    640 x 480 - 212K
    edited December 1969

@JStryder: Cute image.

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,526
    edited December 1969

@JStryder - the poses are great!

• JamahoneyJamahoney Posts: 1,791
    edited August 2013

Guy on the right is defintely going for the 'Bomb' or 'Cannon Ball'...always a ruiner of sandwiches (or fake-tan lotion applied to European pale skins) by the poolside ;) Great submission...winner, for sure.

Jay

Post edited by Jamahoney on
  • JStryderJStryder Posts: 168
    edited December 1969

Thank you for the comments. It's not all that great a render, but it did bring back nice childhood memories, which made it fun to work on. Any credit for the charming children goes to the original artist of course. Those are 3DU's Sadie and Sam for Genesis.

Had a great deal of difficulty with getting the lighting right so the figures didn't look too hard and stony. This meant soft shadows, IBL, TA, and slow rendering. So I compromised on a low resolution image. If I can find the time I'll submit on an improved higher resolution version.

Fantastic still lifes over on the main render thread! Somebody please do a hot glowing one, throw some ice or water on it, and enter it here!

edited December 1969

It appears this thread has crawled to a stand still.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

I know I am quite upset about that. :down:

• srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241
    edited December 1969

If it makes you feel any better, this thread has been hogging my other PC's processor for the better part of 2 months now, and since there are still a few days left, I'm still trying to add details.

edited December 1969

@Pam: It could be people have been having busy person lives. Or as Sean noted, still working on renders.

@Sean: You've really peaked my interest.

edited December 1969

GussNemo said:
    @Pam: It could be people have been having busy person lives. Or as Sean noted, still working on renders.

Or all imagination has evaporated.
  • Electro-ElvisElectro-Elvis Posts: 870
    edited December 1969

I would love to join this competition, but I am afraid I am a bit busy in the moment.

edited December 1969

@Horo: I resemble that more times than not. Especially after finishing a render that's taken some time.

• mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 5,378
    edited December 1969

Horo said:
    GussNemo said:

Or all imagination has evaporated.

This applies to me too, that's why I'm concentrating on tutorials. lol ;)

edited December 1969

Is there going to be a separate thread for final submissions, or should we post them to this WIP thread?

edited August 2013

Post them here. I then copy and paste them into an anonymous voting thread, so my judges can't play favourites. LOL

The judges are actually the CV team, which includes the Mods as well. We are still CVs as well as being Mods.

Edited to add, that I don't vote and if we do have any tied results, which actually has been every challenge so far. then I invite a guest judge (or even 2 on one occasion) to break the tie. The main guest judge is himself, 'Im indoors or whatever you want to call him, who doesn't use 3d programs, but does like seeing the images.

Post edited by Chohole on
    edited December 1969

Alright, here is my final render of "shady spot", a nice refreshing spot in the shade to beat the summer heat.

shady_spot_reduced.jpg
    1200 x 837 - 522K
  • StezzaStezza Posts: 7,995
    edited December 1969

Join in the fun...

I haven't used Bryce much at all since I bought it several years ago..

Beat the Heat by getting your feet wet ;-)

Marooned_Bryce.jpg
    800 x 600 - 298K
    edited December 1969

@Sean: That turned out absolutely gorgeous. Nice job.

@Stezza: I have to chuckle at the atmosphere of that image. Well done.

edited December 1969

Stezza said:
    Beat the Heat by getting your feet wet ;-)

But not too far into the water with those sharks. ;-)
  • TrishTrish Posts: 2,625
    edited December 1969

Sean: your render is lovely nice work

Stezza: welcome what a neat idea!! I really like your man and the outhouse!!

• JamahoneyJamahoney Posts: 1,791
    edited December 1969

Sean...that's stunning...great use of colour and light. As anyone has experienced whilst doing works with trees in them, it can get very confusing, overly-cluttered, overly greenie, however, in this case, great control, in liu with the reeds/grass etc.,, works very well together. I also like the detail on the fence-posts - it's those little details that make the whole sometimes.

Stezza...sharks...lol...humour in a work is always welcome.

Jay

edited December 1969

So, has judging began, or are there more entries to come?

edited December 1969

I am having a bit of a problem at the moment. Have a riot looming in another forum, and just haven't had a chance to transfer the renders to a judging thread yet. I will get round to it, honest I will.

edited December 1969

chohole said:
    I am having a bit of a problem at the moment. Have a riot looming in another forum, ...

Use that club! :cheese:
    edited December 1969

LOL there are times when I wish I could. Especially when you always get one or two who just won't see sense, or who argue for the sake of arguing

BTW. I think we may change the Challenge a bit, and actually make then longer each time, so instead of a monthly Challenge maybe have a seasonal one, so as this was the summer one the next one could be the Autumn (or Fall) Contest, and again last 2 months or so

edited December 1969

No rush, I just noticed no one had posted in a couple of days. The idea of 2 month span sounds like a good idea.

• Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 1969

My concern about having the challenges longer is that they do seem to run out of momentum.

Whereas the "Beginner's Render Challenge WIP" thread at the top of the Daz forum has people working on renders and getting useful advice for lighting, composition etc. which tends to keep the thread active, there isn't a lot of that happening down here in the Bryce forum.

I'm not saying it wouldn't work, but it would need to get more interactive otherwise there will be a flurry of people getting renders in and then a tail off with a barely active thread. And then after the closing date for entries, as always several people (cough cough Rashad) will apologise for not getting one done. :-)

edited December 1969

I know. I apologise for not getting this one to the voting stage so far. It is the first time this has happened. I have been a bit tied up elsewhere on the forums.

Summer is always a quiet time for forums and challenges and such things.

I am really not quite certain where to go forward with this. I do prefer the monthly approach, but it does seem that the whole challenge idea is not really taking off as I hoped it would.

• Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 1969

Would it be a good idea (and politically correct) to maybe advertise the challenge on Bryce5.com? or deviant art for those who are members at those two places. I see a lot of really good Brycing around the internet and yet our community here is relatively small.

Also, we get a lot of beginners posting questions and sometimes they then disappear. If they can be enticed into stopping around and joining in more it would be great. Posting on a particular forum is quite habitual and we need to get more people into the habit of posting here instead of where they hang out at the moment. :)

BTW: You have nothing to apologise for Chohole... You know we're not the type to sulk over a slight delay... we are Brycers, we are used to delays in development cycles, render times etc. :lol: