Making a living

edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

I was just wondering if anyone here uses Carrara for making a living or part of making a living. If so how and what feedback do your clients give you

Comments

• SadotSadot Posts: 5
    edited December 1969

i use it as 1 of my tools in my daily work and none of my clients care where/how i do the job as far as i jet it done (raw but true)

• pnewhookpnewhook Posts: 70
    edited December 1969

I'm a systems engineer and am currently the technical lead for medical robotics at our company. I've been using Carrara since version 6, most for showing robotic range of motion. More recently I've expanded Carrara's role, using it for concept development, workspace analysis and iterating kinematic solutions. I've found it to be invaluable and a huge time saver.

I started using Carrara as it has great facility to display people, something that standard engineering tools do very poorly. And as such it has been great for showing concepts to non-engineering people in the medical field such as doctors and investors.

Unfortunately most of the renders and animations I end up doing are proprietary. My current project though should be released in the next 6 months; once it's released I'll see if I can post some of the images here for those that are curious.

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326
    edited December 1969

Very cool, both of you! Yes, I am very interested in seeing those images.
    I purchased Carrara for the sake of making a series of 'hobby' movies. I've been so busy since then, mostly getting stages and characters set up and saved to the browser - building and saving shaders and effects, etc., that now that I'm getting ready to start rendering out some animations, I'm finding that Carrara has tools that can help me to get much nicer animation sequences - but I don't know them yet! lol
    So I'm getting back into another mode of study and experimentation.

But from the professional standpoint, I am preparing to create a system for Landscape Architects - in which they can use Carrara as a tool to help illustrate their designs. If it goes as I have in envisioned, it will be a valuable tool to help them actually create the design from the start, and then they can "take photos" of their concepts and e-mail them to the client. Add Inagoni's Architools to the mix and you'll really have something! I'm lucky enough to have a low-pressure job right now, a client that wants me to propose some landscaping ideas. So I'll get the chance to build parts of this system during actual development of a real plan - which will be helpful. I also intend to perform some educational devices regarding the use of different rendering techniques to offer various looks for the completed plan - from hand-drawn to the more photo-real.

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964
    edited August 2013

great idea Dartanbeck
    it should really take off, it's superb to see Carrara used in real world applications

pnewhook I am jealous :)

you might like to take at this month's sponsor's previous work

Age of Armour - really topnotch stuff.

http://www.ageofarmour.com/available.html

I have a feeling that Carrara might have helped somewhere in the design process.??? maybe not

If It was me I'd be modelling everything in carrara then printing out all the elevations full size and taking it from there!

I'm really impressed by what AoA has achieved.

Post edited by Headwax on
    edited December 1969

Wow. I've always been impressed with AoA from his endeavors here, at DAZ3D!!! Wow... Never knew he was a real armorer!

edited December 1969

Wow. I've always been impressed with AoA from his endeavors here, at DAZ3D!!! Wow... Never knew he was a real armorer!

yes it's an eye opener how many talented people there are here!

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

" But from the professional standpoint, I am preparing to create a system for Landscape Architects - in which they can use Carrara as a tool to help illustrate their designs. If it goes as I have in envisioned, it will be a valuable tool to help them actually create the design from the start, and then they can “take photos” of their concepts and e-mail them to the client. Add Inagoni’s Architools to the mix and you’ll really have something! I’m lucky enough to have a low-pressure job right now, a client that wants me to propose some landscaping ideas. So I’ll get the chance to build parts of this system during actual development of a real plan - which will be helpful. I also intend to perform some educational devices regarding the use of different rendering techniques to offer various looks for the completed plan - from hand-drawn to the more photo-real. "

I know of 4 programs that do that all ready - how would your be different ?

edited December 1969

bigh said:
    " But from the professional standpoint, I am preparing to create a system for Landscape Architects - in which they can use Carrara as a tool to help illustrate their designs. If it goes as I have in envisioned, it will be a valuable tool to help them actually create the design from the start, and then they can “take photos” of their concepts and e-mail them to the client. Add Inagoni’s Architools to the mix and you’ll really have something! I’m lucky enough to have a low-pressure job right now, a client that wants me to propose some landscaping ideas. So I’ll get the chance to build parts of this system during actual development of a real plan - which will be helpful. I also intend to perform some educational devices regarding the use of different rendering techniques to offer various looks for the completed plan - from hand-drawn to the more photo-real. "

How can I explain differences from such a vague lack of comparison?
    edited December 1969

bigh said:

How can I explain differences from such a vague lack of comparison?

sorry you are correct - will you need Carrara to use your idea ?

edited December 1969

bigh said:
    will you need Carrara to use your idea ?
    Yes. The whole thing originates from me wanting to use Carrara in the field.
    edited December 1969

bigh said:
    will you need Carrara to use your idea ?
    Yes. The whole thing originates from me wanting to use Carrara in the field.

I see - it's just me ( but I think a person would find C. hard to learn just to use your idea )

• ManStanManStan Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Check the Lowe's site.

• Box8068_31c338ee4bBox8068_31c338ee4b Posts: 292
    edited December 1969

I was just wondering if anyone here uses Carrara for making a living or part of making a living. If so how and what feedback do your clients give you

Excellent question, one I had been thinking of posting myself.
    Wow very few responses. Right now I am working on a series of technical animation video's.
    Haven't posted them for sale yet, but hope to in the next few weeks.

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

I can think of a few people that generate income from Carrara. A couple have posted in this thread already, but in the old forums, Sub7th used Carrara in his work flow to create music videos, Dimension Theory is a respected PA, AoA was already mentioned.

Crap! I hate getting older! I had a few more people to list, but my aging melon lost the train of thought!

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,144
    edited December 1969

I first earned any money from Carrara when I was asked by Infinite Skills to do the first set of training videos. That has since branched out into becoming a PA here at Daz (although I haven't released anything for around a year but that is about to change!), I've also provided bespoke training support to a UK university, done a music video, provided images for trading cards and done a project for a fashion website, all with Carrara. If the output is going to be images or animations, clients don't care what program you use. It would however be critical if you are required to provide input into an existing development pipeline, although Carrara has a good range of formats that it can export to.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,041
    edited December 1969

I have encountered Carrara users on other forums who use it proffesionally I have never seen post here.

edited August 2013

8068 said:

Excellent question, one I had been thinking of posting myself.
    Wow very few responses. Right now I am working on a series of technical animation video's.
    Haven't posted them for sale yet, but hope to in the next few weeks.

Very cool.

I have encountered Carrara users on other forums who use it proffesionally I have never seen post here.Me too. And I know of some that I've not seen on any forum, too.

Phil, I want to pay you some more. Get me to pay you some more, will ya?

Post edited by Dartanbeck on
  • DimensionTheoryDimensionTheory Posts: 434
    edited December 1969

Clients will always care more about the result of your work than how you obtained the results. Sub7th knew how to use Carrara in a professional manner, which includes knowing it's strengths and weaknesses. It's not something that comes down to making the most beautiful or elaborate things, it's about knowing how to get the job your client requests done in a timely manner in a way they're happy with.

I don't really consider myself a professional, but my work here at DAZ is my only source of income and I'm able to comfortably support myself. Content sales are the bulk of my income though, and that's a different sort of thing than contract work which I'm not sure relates to the topic. In that case my clients would be you guys and other customers who shop here. I've received contracts too, some of which I've used Carrara for. Majority of my sales and contracts are done with DAZ Studio at this point because of the market I'm in and it's reliance on user base. I'm still happier with the quality of work I can produce with Carrara however. The most impressive renders I have in my portfolio are Carrara renders, the most elaborate things I've done have come from it. This is coming from someone who's invested a fair amount of time using Vue and Octane Render.

edited August 2013

DimensionTheory wrote:

I’m able to comfortably support myself.

I think that fact underlines your immense talent.
    Great to see you posting here again by the way!

Post edited by Headwax on
  • DimensionTheoryDimensionTheory Posts: 434
    edited December 1969

Thank you, Head Wax. I appreciate it!

• PjotterPjotter Posts: 274
    edited December 1969

This one looks like he is doing very well with Carrara. Not sure if he is present here. The link has a redirect to his real site.

http://www.carrara3d.com

• tsaristtsarist Posts: 1,614
    edited December 1969

I use Carrara professionally.
    Clients usually give me good feedback. Generally, they like the work, but most of them don't really want anything half as nice as what can be produced by Carrara.

The hardest part is getting clients in the first place. It costs me a LOT more to get clients than it did a few years back.

edited December 1969

bigh said:
    bigh said:
    will you need Carrara to use your idea ?Yes. The whole thing originates from me wanting to use Carrara in the field.

I see - it's just me ( but I think a person would find C. hard to learn just to use your idea )

Check the Lowe's site.Wrong clientele, I believe.
    I'm not thinking along the lines of the "Home Designer" "3D Landscape" products. Landscape Architects would find Carrara with the system I have in mind a dream compared to what they're using now - but, not as a replacement - a supplement. Eagle Point and the like, are excellent for what they do - but I think the learning curve for that is likely much higher than using Carrara with preset aids.
    edited December 1969

Clients will always care more about the result of your work than how you obtained the results. Sub7th knew how to use Carrara in a professional manner, which includes knowing it's strengths and weaknesses. It's not something that comes down to making the most beautiful or elaborate things, it's about knowing how to get the job your client requests done in a timely manner in a way they're happy with.

I don't really consider myself a professional, but my work here at DAZ is my only source of income and I'm able to comfortably support myself. Content sales are the bulk of my income though, and that's a different sort of thing than contract work which I'm not sure relates to the topic. In that case my clients would be you guys and other customers who shop here. I've received contracts too, some of which I've used Carrara for. Majority of my sales and contracts are done with DAZ Studio at this point because of the market I'm in and it's reliance on user base. I'm still happier with the quality of work I can produce with Carrara however. The most impressive renders I have in my portfolio are Carrara renders, the most elaborate things I've done have come from it. This is coming from someone who's invested a fair amount of time using Vue and Octane Render.

Well "I" consider you to be a professional and would gladly pay for things that you've shown off as experiment freely on YouTube. Extru-D was making particles fire for me - well, to sell at DAZ, but he was going to have me beta test it for him because of my Rosie & Dart walking through a cave holding torches lit with Carrara fire video clip. I told him I'd gladly beta test it - but would still pay once released. He got a job in the middle and had to drop it. I noticed that you've done beautiful fire and smoke and... and... and...
    ...and many of us Carrara enthusiasts would love to buy stuff like that all packaged up into presets for us.
    I'm a big Dimension Theory fan!
  • evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

I agree with Dart, DT! The particle stuff you used to post was breathtaking. The video montage you posted to YouTube with the the particles forming the woman was super cool!

I'm sure if there were a particle set by you, people would snap it up.

Age of Armor also did some really cool particle stuff as I recall. That and physics. Loved his car getting hit by a giant ball bearing video and tutorial.

edited December 1969

And Sub7th. And Head Wax, and evilproducer. I'd buy stuff from all of you. (including the above comment including AoA)

• pnewhookpnewhook Posts: 70
    edited September 2013

Ok, one of the images I've produced (a bit old but close enough) of the surgical robotic system we are designing/manufacturing was made public so I can share the picture and the link here:

http://surgrob.blogspot.ca/2013/09/flickstop.html

The image on the right I created in Carrara. The left is an actual picture of the workstation with a surgeon at the controls of the older robotic prototype doing a live brain surgery.

I currently have a full surgical OR with these manipulators animated doing various procedures. Hopefully when the product is released I'll be able to post a link to the animations. Carrara really is an incredible tool to use!

Update: So no one gets the wrong impression of my modelling skills, most of what you see here of the arm shell has been imported from CAD. It starts out as a fully modeled arm using only Carrara objects, then as the arm gets designed, I drop in the CAD models on top. This helps me ensure the design matches the capabilities worked out in Carrara. The image here is a mixture of both CAD and Carrara objects - I do try and make that blending as seamless as possible. Carrara is used to do all lighting, colours, textures, kinematics and animation. And I work out how long each of the arm segments needs to be do do what we want in Carrara as well.

SYMBIS_masterj.jpg
    1600 x 543 - 100K
    Post edited by pnewhook on
  • JonstarkJonstark Posts: 2,738
    edited December 1969

Wow, pnewhook, I'm blown away! Your work is incredible, and I never thought I would see Carrara used to help save lives (actually the whole concept of a robotic surgical system is fantastic)

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,144
    edited December 1969

pnewhook - that is really important work and an impressive model, great to see Carrara being used for such applications. You must be very proud to be involved in this project.

• FractalDimensiaFractalDimensia Posts: 0
    edited September 2013

PhilW said:
    I first earned any money from Carrara when I was asked by Infinite Skills to do the first set of training videos.

LOL, Phil, now I feel foolish. I bought the Advanced IS Training video and have gone through the entire video training 3-4 times. So it was your voice chatting in my ears the whole time! :) Now I can put a voice to the name.

BTW, the IS training gave me an amazing leg up on learning how to do things. Still a few items and tricks in the video I haven't tried yet, but the video cut months off my learning time. I've even suggested this DVD to a few others. So thanks for your help. It was well worth the cost.

As for me, I originally bought Carrara to do illustrations for my fantasy trilogy, but after a few unsatisfying attempts, I decided I had better get my feet under me before I attempted anything that important. This past month, with the first book now nearly under my belt, I have started getting back to it. I plan to post the illustrations to a website to market the series. ("A picture is worth a thousand words.") So I would say I plan to make money only indirectly from the use of Carrara.

Post edited by FractalDimensia on