Making a living

2»

Comments

• Box8068_31c338ee4bBox8068_31c338ee4b Posts: 292
    edited December 1969

pnewhook said:
    Ok, one of the images I've produced (a bit old but close enough) of the surgical robotic system we are designing/manufacturing was made public so I can share the picture and the link here:

http://surgrob.blogspot.ca/2013/09/flickstop.html

The image on the right I created in Carrara. The left is an actual picture of the workstation with a surgeon at the controls of the older robotic prototype doing a live brain surgery.

I currently have a full surgical OR with these manipulators animated doing various procedures. Hopefully when the product is released I'll be able to post a link to the animations. Carrara really is an incredible tool to use!

Update: So no one gets the wrong impression of my modelling skills, most of what you see here of the arm shell has been imported from CAD. It starts out as a fully modeled arm using only Carrara objects, then as the arm gets designed, I drop in the CAD models on top. This helps me ensure the design matches the capabilities worked out in Carrara. The image here is a mixture of both CAD and Carrara objects - I do try and make that blending as seamless as possible. Carrara is used to do all lighting, colours, textures, kinematics and animation. And I work out how long each of the arm segments needs to be do do what we want in Carrara as well.

Thanks for posting. Great to see examples of technical animation, which is why I use Carrara .

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,144
    edited December 1969

FractalDimensia - thanks for your kind words, good to know it was useful and valued! I am just finishing updating it for C8.5.

• BrianP21361BrianP21361 Posts: 807
    edited December 1969

Phil,

That's great news. Will I be able to purchase the updated content by itself or will I have to purchase it all over again. Ditto on it being a great product.

• FetitoFetito Posts: 481
    edited December 1969

@Phil: A "What's new in C8.5 would be great" :) I fell in love with both DVDs for 8.0.

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,144
    edited December 1969

I'm not sure about an upgrade policy, that will be an Infinite Skills decision rather than mine, but I can try to find out.

• PVGamesPVGames Posts: 68
    edited December 1969

I make a fair bit of my living using D|S but have recently ventured into C8.5 to add to my list of skills and services to provide customers. Generally I create characters and animations for 2D video games for hobbyists and professionals, but sometimes I make cutscene images, character portraits, monsters, etc, whatever is needed. I want to use C8.5 to ultimately add animated cut-scenes to the list of services I can offer.

Example still image of a character I made for a commission:
    https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc3/p480x480/970073_322527234558991_969871264_n.jpg

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326
    edited December 1969

PhilW said:
    I'm not sure about an upgrade policy, that will be an Infinite Skills decision rather than mine, but I can try to find out.
    Well, even beyond the upgrade material. It would be really cool if they (Infinite Skills) could commission you to investigate the entire NLA functionality, cruising forth into key framing, graph editing, camera motion excitement... like an animation special, or simply as a third installment of the series - which could also include "What's New to 8.5", perhaps? Lot to chew...
    The thing is, I'd just really like another learning series from you - I enjoy it immensely. Yeah... More please! :)

I make a fair bit of my living using D|S but have recently ventured into C8.5 to add to my list of skills and services to provide customers. Generally I create characters and animations for 2D video games for hobbyists and professionals, but sometimes I make cutscene images, character portraits, monsters, etc, whatever is needed. I want to use C8.5 to ultimately add animated cut-scenes to the list of services I can offer.

Example still image of a character I made for a commission:
    https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc3/p480x480/970073_322527234558991_969871264_n.jpg

This is very cool stuff! Is this sort of like infinity engine (Baldur's Gate), animated characters? Or like, hidden items games? My Wife is a Big Fish games subscriber. I love hearing her play as the soundtracks are great! But then I'll catch samples of action going on and they're beautifully made.

No matter, I think it's excellent that you do that! It's amazing how vast this whole realm really is. I think that you're really going to like Carrara more and more - just as I have - the more you use it.

• FractalDimensiaFractalDimensia Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

PhilW said:

Well, even beyond the upgrade material. It would be really cool if they (Infinite Skills) could commission you to investigate the entire NLA functionality, cruising forth into key framing, graph editing, camera motion excitement... like an animation special, or simply as a third installment of the series - which could also include "What's New to 8.5", perhaps? Lot to chew...
    The thing is, I'd just really like another learning series from you - I enjoy it immensely. Yeah... More please! :)

I'll second Dart's request. I'm not sure how much you garnished off those vids, but you should do more. I think you have a great skill at communicating complex concepts in a straightforward way. I've developed courses before, so know it is a lot of work, but there's a few Carrarans who'd appreciate the work. :)