Octane Render 4.00 for Carrara

Comments

• ProPoseProPose Posts: 527

Wow....Just when I thought I can relax a bit. 

• I don't know why i was updating Octane from V3 to V4, the last time i was updating from V2 to V3 it didn't worked, until i found out that i have to purchase the upgrade licence (great thing, offer the download but don't make it that obvious that you have to buy it).
    Now i thought, well, the Upgrade to V4 is for free, great.
    But why does the guys from Otoy make it so hard to use their software?
    Digital Signature? Really?
    Found the thread on Otoy that said i need to update windows system to this and that, well downloaded it and it says this is already installed on my system.
    In the next times i'll install all the windows updates that are available to see if it works. (hopefully it works with my Quadro FX880M as i still haven't fixed my render PC).
    Anyone else having trouble using the new Octane on Win7 Professional?

• ProPoseProPose Posts: 527

No problems at all.  But your graphics card might be a problem. check here if your card is listed https://developer.nvidia.com/cuda-gpus

• 3drendero3drendero Posts: 2,024
    edited December 2018
    Octane 4 dropped support for NVIDIA Fermi cards. Your FX880m is one gen older than Fermi (Tesla 2), so no go with OR4.
    Post edited by 3drendero on
  • Chris Fox ArtChris Fox Art Posts: 380
    edited December 2018
    3drendero said:
    Octane 4 dropped support for NVIDIA Fermi cards. Your FX880m is one gen older than Fermi (Tesla 2), so no go with OR4.

That's too bad, so the only way i have now is to make my pc working again but that means maybe new hdd and downloading + installing all the programs again (for some i even don't have the serial/activation code  anymore and should buy again if i want to still use them :\)
    Well, what do i learn from this, never buy again a seagate HDD and run the system on one HDD and install every programs on a seperate HDD.
    It's my third Seagate HDD that stopped working, first was a 3.5" external HDD 1TB from Maxtor (they are now Seagate)
    Than from my PC a 3TB HDD from Seagate (i can access the HDD files but not the system files when i add the HDD via USB on my Notebook) and than a 1TB SSHD from Seagate i used on my Notebook, there i have the same issue, System won't start, can access the HDD files via USB but not the System files.

I'll now try luxcore on my notebook.

Oh, just forgot to say, maybe i even can't use octane on my PC anymore if i get it to run again, every time i want to install octane renderer for Carrara it is looking for OR4CSetup.msi to install which i don't have (just the octane_carrara_4.01.01.05.exe file)

Post edited by Chris Fox Art on
    Backup is critical on all PCs, supercritical for HDDs since they have a random lifespan between 0 to 10 years. Try the octane support or forums for installation issues.

Short news piece at Carrara Cafe about Octane Render 4.0:

http://carraracafe.com/?p=8800&et_fb=1

• rk66rk66 Posts: 438

neu demo build version 4.02 for Carrara online, look here > https://render.otoy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=79&t=68784&start=50#p355951

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,037
    edited April 2020

meh on my Win10 PC it decides to stop rendering every 100 or so frames on some projects

no idea why

the log file and GPU-Z logfile not telling me anything I can understand 

it just does not move to the next frame and sits there, if I stop and restart the next frame it goes on but it means I need to constantly check my computer and cannot sleep and let it render.

Had a Windows update and it screwed with Carrara UI too so think it's that but only guessing 

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
    OctaneRender® Prime (Free) is available for DAZ Studio (Blender, Unity and Unreal Engine too). Give it a try. If it renders more than 100 frames in DS, at least you have narrowed down the problem.
    edited April 2020
    3drendero said:
    OctaneRender® Prime (Free) is available for DAZ Studio (Blender, Unity and Unreal Engine too). Give it a try. If it renders more than 100 frames in DS, at least you have narrowed down the problem.

oh I have that

and it's a very annoying interface in DAZ studio that will throw up errors especially with instances not render parented stuff in place and will stop rendering after a maximum of 99 frames if the veiwport is disabled!

but it has done that crap from 2.2 which I paid for!

Octane 4 Carrara has since rendered a long sequence for me so it's not a consistent error

but

I actually am more concerned it is not the software but in fact my hardware 

I think my E drive actually 

it seems to do it when accessing that for my not DAZ content 

and copying to that drive is tediously slow!

in other-words I it stops when it cannot load stuff from the drive!

I may need to do self contained Carrara files temporarily on my C drive

edited April 2020
    3drendero said:

no money

anyway I think at least found out what the issue is and can work around it by creating self contained folders for my projects

A RAM drive is free software that makes a disk in your RAM for free. As long as you have spare RAM. Useful for many situations, since it is blazing fast, but a crash wipes it out.
    3drendero said:
    A RAM drive is free software that makes a disk in your RAM for free. As long as you have spare RAM. Useful for many situations, since it is blazing fast, but a crash wipes it out.

RAM I lack

only 8GB on this machine my old one has 16

intend upgrading eventually but needed a useable machine on a budget for now

• Wendy wrote in a different thread:

I set up emissive surfaces mainly 

and honestly I don't know with the subscription thing

I do know I won't be upgrading as spent far too much money at Otoy already, I would at this point rather just use it while I can, I do love it but Carrara is not being developed either so just cannot justify the expense (upgrades have cost me an additional $600 all up I reckon) saving up for hardware is a better option.

I do still use Carrara native engine sometimes too and actually love it, just takes a lot longer usually but not always though.

With two computers I can often let a Carrara engine scene render too while doing other stuff.

Finally got clear answers from OTOY.

Octane is still pricey - about $875 US for the standalone version, Carrara plugin, and dongle.  And that is with a discount!  My plan now is to download the free version, and see if the quality is much better than my various Carrara realism workarounds.  If it IS a lot better, I may have to swallow hard and buy it.  If it was around $500, it would be a lot easier to justify.

I'm convinced that Octane/Carrara is an excellent product.  I'm just not convinced that I need it yet. 

• yeah I paid that plus more again on my upgrades 

while I like it I am now not tossing them anymore money, just hope it keeps working, I at least cannot upgrade my card either so that not an issue

• It would be nice if the Octane dongle could simply remain offline like some sort of hardware key, but it needs to be connected online every four months to update..

• Yes, they certainly seem to have their own unique way of doing things. smiley  And their website doesn't explain the details.  Fortunately, I got to ask questions on their forum, and got some clear answers.

• the dongle idea cool for multiple computers 

I had to deactivate and reactivate my license to move my Octane 4

There is also the Octane rental now at 20$/month, if you only use them a few months per year, it is a new cheap option. Does not work on old Nvidia GPUs.
  • VyusurVyusur Posts: 2,235
    edited September 2020

Quick example of carrara octane render. Render time 18 sec.

03.png
    1300 x 1319 - 2M
    Post edited by Vyusur on
  • PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,144

@Vyusur - terrific work as always! The skin materials look good.

• VyusurVyusur Posts: 2,235
    edited September 2020

Phil, thank you for your kind words! As for the skins, there is no my merit here, these are just scans.

Post edited by Vyusur on
  • TugpsxTugpsx Posts: 737
    edited September 2020

Testing a few LUTs with OctaneRender for Carrara using Native Liviing Room by Tesla3dCorp 

CarraraOctaneNativeCapture2.JPG
    1267 x 858 - 122K
    Post edited by Tugpsx on
  • DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,323
    PhilW said:

@Vyusur - terrific work as always! The skin materials look good.

Agreed! yes

Tugpsx said:

Testing a few LUTs with OctaneRender for Carrara using Native Liviing Room by Tesla3dCorp 

That's better! You must have used "copy image address" instead of "copy LINK address" when adding the image to your post, so it just stretched the thumbnail!

Looks Great!!!

I love the natural blowout from the window. Well, the whole thing looks darned Great!

• since upgrading my RAM to 32GB Octane Carrara 4 as well as DAZ studio iray have been coping far better on my machine even with my 980ti

but Windows 10 never lets me rest easy 

I am in constant fear of what will break next

Octane certainly gives awesome results but my funds are very very limited now, I just discovered something else on my house that requires attention too!

I just discovered something else on my house that requires attention too!

I wish I could come fix it for you :(