off topic thread

Comments

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,947

RH is probably confusing Misty's attitude towards D|S with mine.

I have used hate before because at times it summed up exactly how I felt.

Yet I do use DAZ studio, quite a lot actually.

AFAIK Misty doesn't render in it at all, I do

However it can be very frustratiing for me with it's limitations.

It is always a trade off for me between trying to get content to work in Carrara that is made for DAZ studio versus forgoing features and ease of use absent in DAZ studio.

Still image creators often cannot fully appreciate those limitations.

Things like an animated 360 background image series or animated gels providing lighting D|S cannot do, fiddling arount with MCasual's very welcome Texanim script and trying to get the syntax to work on my images along with D|S limitations to do something which is as as easy as just loading an image series into multple shader's diffuse channels in Carrara.

I won't discus the PA Dforce v user accessable Carrara dynamic hair and fur angry.that is a topic of it's own.

I use Filament quite a lot now but that has it's own limitations, iray is much slower than Carrara render engine most of the time albeit fully PBR but I honestly don't need PBR,

Filment can be much faster but the transparency and lack of ambient shader issues drive me nuts.

(even 3Delight has ambience/glow you stick a point light by it and that's fine, I do that in Carrara too but a dead unglowing flame looks awful with a light)

we are not even touching Carrara's extra features like particles, modeling rooms, landcape and foliage tools, volumetrics, metaballs, bullet physics yet

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,088
    edited July 2021

3,000 miles driving in 3 days, with some loading and unloading of a bunch of stuff.  I am tired.

Good news - I have a condo in Little Rock, AR.  That condo now has some furniture and some basic kitchen stuff, etc.  Won't be fully moving in for a while but nice to have it start shaping up.

smiley

EDIT: there was a rinbow visible from my balcony.  Feels very welcoming.

condo rainbow.jpg
    4032 x 3024 - 880K
    Post edited by Diomede on
  • HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,932
    edited July 2021

Diomede said:

3,000 miles driving in 3 days, with some loading and unloading of a bunch of stuff.  I am tired.

Good news - I have a condo in Little Rock, AR.  That condo now has some furniture and some basic kitchen stuff, etc.  Won't be fully moving in for a while but nice to have it start shaping up.

smiley

EDIT: there was a rinbow visible from my balcony.  Feels very welcoming.

welcome home! Congrats, sounds warm and cosy! Or airconditioned and comfortable. :) i take it AR is Arizona? 

Post edited by Headwax on

Thank you, thank you.  AR is Arkansas.  I suspect if Arkansas has any reputation outside the US at all, it is probably not very flattering.  However, the state is very beautiful with hills, trees, lakes and other scenic beauty not typically associated with the area west of the Mississippi River and east of the Rocky Mountains.  Little Rock is in the middle of the state.  My condo is within an easy walk of parks and trails along the river the city is built on. Looking forward to getting settled in.  It had been almost two years since I slept in my own bed.  And then of course I can get back to rendering.

Arkansas JPEG 01.jpg
    1200 x 780 - 102K
    Arkansas JPEG 02.jpg
    1008 x 938 - 395K

Diomede said:

Thank you, thank you.  AR is Arkansas.  I suspect if Arkansas has any reputation outside the US at all, it is probably not very flattering.  However, the state is very beautiful with hills, trees, lakes and other scenic beauty not typically associated with the area west of the Mississippi River and east of the Rocky Mountains.  Little Rock is in the middle of the state.  My condo is within an easy walk of parks and trails along the river the city is built on. Looking forward to getting settled in.  It had been almost two years since I slept in my own bed.  And then of course I can get back to rendering.

sounds beautiful, so that's where the Wizard of Oz is set? (just kidding) Bunip thanks for the link

I always find it odd that Arkansas is Ark and saw but Kansas is can sass cheeky

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

old old joke, can you spell Mississippi without the eyes

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,861

Diomede said:

is that Davy Crockett territory.... ?

edited July 2021

I love moss, lots of it in my yard in winter (and on my roof tiles but not climbing up there to take photos wink)

I did AO and Metalic maps but honestly don't think they are needed for nature shaders

Moss and stones_diffuse.jpg
    3264 x 2448 - 4M
    moss and stones_height.jpg
    3264 x 2448 - 507K
    moss and stones_normal.jpg
    3264 x 2448 - 2M
    moss_diffuse.jpg
    3264 x 2448 - 3M
    moss_height.jpg
    3264 x 2448 - 2M
    moss_normal.jpg
    3264 x 2448 - 3M
    Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • Steve KSteve K Posts: 3,200

Stezza said:

Diomede said:

Thank you, thank you.  AR is Arkansas.  ... 

“You may all go to hell and I will go to Texas.” Davy Crockett said this angrily after losing his Tennessee bid for the U.S. Congress.  He ended up at the Alamo in Texas, where it did not go well for him.  A few months later it went well for Texas at the Battle of San Jacinto, and for my town called "The Birthplace of Texas".

Steve K said:

Stezza said:

Diomede said:

“You may all go to hell and I will go to Texas.” Davy Crockett said this angrily after losing his Tennessee bid for the U.S. Congress.  He ended up at the Alamo in Texas, where it did not go well for him.  A few months later it went well for Texas at the Battle of San Jacinto, and for my town called "The Birthplace of Texas".

did Davy Crockett know Daniel Boone? 

Johnny Cash = Arkansas

• SileneUKSileneUK Posts: 1,969

WendyLuvsCatz said:

I love moss, lots of it in my yard in winter (and on my roof tiles but not climbing up there to take photos wink)

I did AO and Metalic maps but honestly don't think they are needed for nature shaders

I used moss and stones a lot for my tundra and wetlands... thank you very much, Wendy!  yes  SIlene

SileneUK said:

WendyLuvsCatz said:

I used moss and stones a lot for my tundra and wetlands... thank you very much, Wendy!  yes  SIlene

Yes, thank you very much, Wendy.

Probably not.  Tennessee/Texas vs. Kentucky/Missouri, and a big age difference.

WORD, what it is smiley

heat advisory today. weather for fudgesickle.  ...  iirc there was a fudgesickle in the native props.

Stezza said:

Steve K said:

Stezza said:

Diomede said:

Too much Dysneyland as kids we had.

thanks for tge moss Wendy. Will have to defrost the chicken now. 

Headwax said:".

"In the 20th century, the iconic association was in large part due to Disney's television program Disneyland and the first three Davy Crockett episodes starring Fess Parker, which aired from December 1954 to February 1955. In the episodes, which once again made Crockett into one of the most popular men in the country, the frontier hero was portrayed wearing a coonskin cap ...  coonskin caps became associated with American frontiersmen of the 18th and 19th centuries, and were highly popular among boys in the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom and Australia in the 1950s" (Wikipedia)  

I had a coonskin cap, a hand-me-down probably, maybe worth some bucks on Ebay?  (If I didn't lose it decades ago, and it was pretty grungy then ...)

Jack Daniels from Tennesee?

Great drawing. I take it that is a raccoon skin cap?  

Steve K said:

"In the 20th century, the iconic association was in large part due to Disney's television program Disneyland and the first three Davy Crockett episodes starring Fess Parker, which aired from December 1954 to February 1955. In the episodes, which once again made Crockett into one of the most popular men in the country, the frontier hero was portrayed wearing a coonskin cap ...  coonskin caps became associated with American frontiersmen of the 18th and 19th centuries, and were highly popular among boys in the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom and Australia in the 1950s" (Wikipedia)  

I had a coonskin cap, a hand-me-down probably, maybe worth some bucks on Ebay?  (If I didn't lose it decades ago, and it was pretty grungy then ...)

Steve K said:

when I was a kid I had the Davy Crockett 78 speed story record with Fess parker and Buddy Ebson .. dunno what happened to it though.. smiley 

Headwax said:

I get no credit, just a quick Google search.  Yup, coonskin is racoon, AFAIK.  Pretty sure my childhood one was ... not.

• `i have wonderful memories of the original DAZ3D founders like Dan Farr, Chistopher Howard Creek, Steve Kondris, Chad Smith. they loved the entire community. They visited the forums all the time. The current leadership doesn't do personal communications with the forum members. The are too busy with TAFI. They sure don't get to have customer loyalty this way.

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,251

I love moss too!!!

ringo monfort said:

`i have wonderful memories of the original DAZ3D founders like Dan Farr, Chistopher Howard Creek, Steve Kondris, Chad Smith. they loved the entire community. They visited the forums all the time. The current leadership doesn't do personal communications with the forum members. The are too busy with TAFI. They sure don't get to have customer loyalty this way.

I miss them too, as well as our old boss, Kevin! Is Spooky (Bruce) even still around?

edited July 2021

Speaking of fond memories videos, I loved this one when it came out. Well... I still love it!

...and this

Post edited by Dartanbeck on

ringo monfort said:

`i have wonderful memories of the original DAZ3D founders like Dan Farr, Chistopher Howard Creek, Steve Kondris, Chad Smith. they loved the entire community. They visited the forums all the time. The current leadership doesn't do personal communications with the forum members. The are too busy with TAFI. They sure don't get to have customer loyalty this way.

yes Dan Farr sent me an email once asking if he could quote one of my forum posts in the Carrara advertisments. I wondered who he was.

How silly am I

Steve K said:

Headwax said:

I get no credit, just a quick Google search.  Yup, coonskin is racoon, AFAIK.  Pretty sure my childhood one was ... not.

ha thanks, different cultures need somethings explained. I once did an animation of a guy in a coolie hat. And other members of the forum were horrified I'd used the word 'coolie.'

not this forum

like spazz

we associate it with spasm IE spazzing, throwing a fit but in the UK it is associated with Spastic a word for cerebral palsy.

A cheese was recenrtly renamed Cheer because the word mentioned  for raccoon was used derogatively for First Nations People by some here.

This discussion has been closed.