Bug Reporting and YaToon2 in C85

3dOutlaw3dOutlaw Posts: 2,471
edited August 2013 in Carrara Discussion

OK, so I bought in, since there was 40 or so builds and updates since the Beta, and I was hoping I could render without crashing.

Nope,,,crashed in the same manner, (see pic)

So when I report this on the Zendesk, I can attach the screenshot below, the actual scene I guess, but is there any logs or anything else I should report?

fail.jpg
644 x 506 - 38K
Post edited by 3dOutlaw on

Comments

• 3dOutlaw3dOutlaw Posts: 2,471
    edited December 1969

OK, I could not find anything other to report other than sending the .CAR and this picture. Be nice to have a , "When submitting a Carrara Support Ticket, please include: THIS"

...or maybe that is somewhere already?

• edited December 1969

Outlaw,
    I know what you mean you say 'Please include this' but thats life.

Definatly always include your .Car file in compressed format if possible as it will make if a smaller file size.

Your basic machine specs are vital too including MAC or PC, 32bit or 64bit, Processor, Qty of RAM,
    Graphics card etc.

Another interesting thing is to save your file, reboot, immediatly run Carrara & open your file and hit Render
    to see if you Error then too, also, does your render tiles always stop in the same place every time ???

It all helps and be assured that if your file is a sensitive file then the Dev's keep full confidentiality in that
    department too.

If your using certain plugins or 3rd party products in your scene then they'll need to know which too.

Another idea is to get a second opinion to see if others get the same crash/error on their machines if
    you know others who also use Carrara, this can sometimes shed more light. Im always happy to test
    anyones scene & report back any findings if your up for that, PM me if you want me to check.

The bottom line is, the more info you can give the more chance you have for the Dev's to lock down
    the cause.

Regards
    Paul

edited December 1969

Thanks, I submitted most of that, but not all, I will go add some of the details you mention. Especially since it seems

So a good list so far is:

Version of Carrara
    Description of problem (full description, repeatable/intermittent, how to reproduce)
    Screenshot of errors
    Copy of .CAR file (compressed)
    Included items and where acquired (content, plugins,etc)
    System specs (OS, RAM, CPU, graphics card)
    Reboot, restart and retry - results
    Do others see this?
    Link to forum discussion about issue

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326
    edited December 1969

Definitely include whether the Toon is Native or Plugin - Screens of the settings, Maybe on that?
    I guess they can ask for more info if they need it - they've done that with me on a few occasions.

Man, I'm really sorry for you that this is happening. Is it always when Tooning?

• DAZ_SpookyDAZ_Spooky Posts: 3,100
    edited December 1969

If you missed something, we've got you covered. :) The biggest reason for the things suggested, Paul has a good list, and I will look into getting an article added to the Knowledge base as soon as I have a few minutes, is so we can recreate it. If we can't recreate it, then the diagnostic software the devs have installed can find the reason for a crash, if we can't make it crash, then determining the cause can become virtually impossible.

A couple of things that help, always save your scene before render, always remove unused Master Shaders and objects before render. And if you are running a 32 bit system or the 32 bit version of Carrara, set, under preferences->Imaging Scratch Disk, your texture spooling to between 30 and 100 mb and never, regardless of your system, set it above about a gig. That clears 90% of render crashes before they happen.

edited December 1969

I have been testing today, dissecting the scene, piece by piece....and I believe the problem is setting the color channel of a shader to Texture, when the YaToon2 Lighting Model type is applied to the shader.

I removed everything but V4, hair and the top (which was a texture)...and it was failing repeatedly. I could leave the entire scene and remove the top, and I could not get it to crash. I could remove the texture, and I could not get it to crash. Trial and error...

I have submitted a issue ticket here: https://bitbucket.org/zgock/yatoon/issue/4/texture-in-the-color-channel-causes-render

I will add this to the ticket here at Daz. You can decide if you want to investigate or see if zgock replies...

Thanks for the response! I am glad I am rendering again! :) Whew!

• SileneUKSileneUK Posts: 1,970
    edited December 1969

I was going to post this SAME problem. I am on 64-bit and the scratch disc is set to 520. I lowered it to 350. Will see if that solves the problem and check back if it doesn't. My only way around it as you say it to save before render and also wait about a full minute after the last fiddle before rendering.

How big of a .car file can you have?

Ta, SileneUK

edited December 1969

laurenwbr said:
    I was going to post this SAME problem. I am on 64-bit and the scratch disc is set to 520. I lowered it to 350. Will see if that solves the problem and check back if it doesn't. My only way around it as you say it to save before render and also wait about a full minute after the last fiddle before rendering.

How big of a .car file can you have?

Ta, SileneUK

Can you have? Or can you upload?

I have had Carrara scenes exceed 8GB in the Assembly room. (Part of testing whether everything actually was 64 bit. :) ) That is more difficult to get there than you might think. LOL

• stem_athomestem_athome Posts: 517
    edited December 1969

I have had Carrara scenes exceed 8GB in the Assembly room. (Part of testing whether everything actually was 64 bit. :) ) That is more difficult to get there than you might think. LOL

I have had up to 12GB.
    Just start using displacement, Carrara will eat up the memory.

edited December 1969

I have had up to 12GB.
    Just start using displacement, Carrara will eat up the memory.If you turn that on in the Assembly room. Unlike just adding more polys/figures/etc. those calculations can also slow your viewport down and then you can't tell if it is the Displacement calculations or the number of polys or drive access affecting viewport speed. :)

• SileneUKSileneUK Posts: 1,970
    edited December 1969

I'm only working with a 300b scene so far. Not even worked that much before being a noob.

I have the new Pro 8.5, and changed the scratch disc setting to 350 from 500 and have now made several renders without getting the error.

Thanks Outlaw for posting this... and Spooky for the suggestion. I wouldn't not have thought about it the way I think about Photoshop stuff.

Cheers, SileneUK

edited December 1969

laurenwbr said:
    I'm only working with a 300b scene so far. Not even worked that much before being a noob.

I have the new Pro 8.5, and changed the scratch disc setting to 350 from 500 and have now made several renders without getting the error.

Thanks Outlaw for posting this... and Spooky for the suggestion. I wouldn't not have thought about it the way I think about Photoshop stuff.

Cheers, SileneUK

A good rule of thumb is 10% of your actual physical ram, or 1 gb (which ever is greater) should be the maximum size of that. :)
  • zgockzgock Posts: 23
    edited December 1969

HI

I tested YAtoon 2.0 with C8.1 in same scenario 50 times. It is rock solid.

It seems 8.5's bug.

I don't have 8.5 release, so I cannot test in 8.5.

If you are using 8.5beta, it has some memory leak bug. it makes that error suddenly.

thanks.

edited December 1969

If you missed something, we've got you covered. :) The biggest reason for the things suggested, Paul has a good list, and I will look into getting an article added to the Knowledge base as soon as I have a few minutes, is so we can recreate it. If we can't recreate it, then the diagnostic software the devs have installed can find the reason for a crash, if we can't make it crash, then determining the cause can become virtually impossible.

A couple of things that help, always save your scene before render, always remove unused Master Shaders and objects before render. And if you are running a 32 bit system or the 32 bit version of Carrara, set, under preferences->Imaging Scratch Disk, your texture spooling to between 30 and 100 mb and never, regardless of your system, set it above about a gig. That clears 90% of render crashes before they happen.

Interesting. Thanks.
    edited December 1969

zgock said:
    HI

It seems 8.5's bug.

If you are using 8.5beta, it has some memory leak bug. it makes that error suddenly.

thanks.

zgock, if times weren't as they are... I would gladly donate the upgrade to you, just for appreciation of your amazing dedication, thorough instruction effort, and incredible support. I wish I could - I just checked - and I cannot. :(
    edited December 1969

Yes, the issue I was seeing in the 8.5 beta, then I upgraded to 8.5 release, and same issue. I will see if I can make a simple set of steps for replication.

edited August 2013

Yep, cool stuff, C85 speed and your shader, this renders in 5 minutes. (96 frames)

You should put a "donation" button on your site, so we can "appreciate" the work on this shader! :)

C85_2.gif
    480 x 640 - 2M
    edited December 1969

I cannot make it happen in a new scene. (though I only loaded the top, and applied a texture)

I may try and remake this scene in 8.5 release, and see if the problem is still an issue, or perhaps it is because I made the scene in the beta.

edited December 1969

So do you think the issue was just that file? Are you still getting the error? 96 frames is something... especially rendering 96 frames in 5 minutes. So YaToon2 is working in 8.5 Pro?

edited December 1969

In that file, if I add a texture, it crashes, so I'll have to remake it and try it. Since I can save my shaders, remaking it should be quick, but it will probably be later this weekend or Tuesday. Other than that, which zgock seemed to be aware of some memory leak, its working good!

Yea, the render speed is fantastic!

• edited December 1969

Outlaw,
    One thing you could try before opening your texture is to change 'Fast MIP Mapping' in the 'Filter' dropdown box to 'Sampling', this will confirm if Mip Mapping is having an issue with the texture itself, 'Fast MIP Mapping' was added not exactly that long ago and MAY have an issue with it.

Another thing, load up your texture in Photoshop or Gimp or something like that, save the image as a different name or even to a different image format like JPEG or Tiff for example & see if that makes a difference. Theres always a chance an image file can be corrupted and this should rule out this possibility.

Happy you got rendering again

Paul

edited December 1969

Brilliant! That fixed it. I re-applied the texture, and changed to Sampling, and I have been testing a while now, and no crashes! Thanks!

edited September 2013

zgock said:
    HI

It seems 8.5's bug.

thanks.

zgock, if times weren't as they are... I would gladly donate the upgrade to you, just for appreciation of your amazing dedication, thorough instruction effort, and incredible support. I wish I could - I just checked - and I cannot. :(

thanks.
    paypal does not allow anyone from Japan to make the donate button
    (Law of Japan requires a license in mediating donation remittance, paypal is because do not have it this))

please PM me DAZ gift code ;-)

(I heard YAToon 2.0 cannnot run 8.5 under WinXP x86. but I cannnot test it cos 8.5beta is expired date. Japan is already in Sep)

Post edited by zgock on
  • edited December 1969

3doutlaw,
    Great to here that.

Make sure you state it is happening when using Fast MIP Mapping only in your report and add the texture map AND the .Car file too.

Sometimes you might be able to add your particular texture map to a simple sphere primitive using Fast MIP Mapping and the error condition wont show up, could also be related to other scene elements present at the time etc.

Anyway, great we locked down the cause, now it should be easily sorted by the Dev's......Hopefully LOLOL

:cheese:

Good Luck

• ckalan1ckalan1 Posts: 88
    edited September 2013

I can not find the option for Fast MIP mapping or Simple.

Where is it located?

Never mind I found it.

Thanks anyways.

By the way I reset to factory defaults and everything returned to normal for now.

Post edited by ckalan1 on
    edited December 1969

zgock said:
    HI

It seems 8.5's bug.

thanks.

It appears it is thechange in Carrara 8.5 from Texture sampling to the new Fast Mip-Map for texture maps as the default. Not something we can fix on our end. :(
    edited December 1969

zgock said:
    HI

It seems 8.5's bug.

thanks.

It appears it is thechange in Carrara 8.5 from Texture sampling to the new Fast Mip-Map for texture maps as the default. Not something we can fix on our end. :(

Well... I know this error happens when some bad pointer access. I think new Fast Mip-Map texture routine has some bad-pointer or threading conflict. You (or Development team) should profile/memory-trace these routines.
    (If I have a source. maybe I can profile and debug em. :-p)

edited December 1969

Nothing like a showdown in the old Texas style to make the forum exciting!!!

(grabs some popcorn and the nearest reclining chair)

edited December 1969

zgock said:
    zgock said:
    HI

It seems 8.5's bug.

thanks.

Well... I know this error happens when some bad pointer access. I think new Fast Mip-Map texture routine has some bad-pointer or threading conflict. You (or Development team) should profile/memory-trace these routines.
    (If I have a source. maybe I can profile and debug em. :-p)If you could file a support ticket, and get me the ticket number so I can convert it to a bug, we might be able to get to the bottom of this faster.

edited September 2013

So I am trying Genesis with YaToon2. I needed to adjust the formula for the brow and lash shaders, but other than that all WAS going well, until I needed to check the effect for the Genesis model...and then I got the following, and Carrara crashed

Any ideas? I was on the "Setting of the painting" step in the tutorial: https://bitbucket.org/zgock/yatoon/wiki/Tutorial

problem.jpg
    854 x 463 - 111K