New plugin: Phong tessellation and displacement

Comments

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,037
    SileneUK said:
    Philemo said:

Philemo,

I use your plugins and would gladly pay for them.

Actually, you can wink. There is a "donate" box in sourceforge.

It's very discreetly located on the left side of the menu bar without a PayPal logo, which is why I didn't notice it before.

Cheers, yes  Silene

buggers charge more than 25% fee though, I wish Philemo could have gotten that money as well instead of them

• JamyJamy Posts: 192
    Philemo said:

@Jamy (and other mac users), OSX version has been uploaded to SourceForge

Merci beaucoup Philemo,

I'll go to try it asap :-)
    Très bonne journée à toi

• SileneUK said:
    Philemo said:

Philemo,

It's very discreetly located on the left side of the menu bar without a PayPal logo, which is why I didn't notice it before.

Cheers, yes  Silene

Thank you Silene, I appreciate that.

• th3Digit said:
    SileneUK said:
    Philemo said:

Philemo,

Cheers, yes  Silene

buggers charge more than 25% fee though, I wish Philemo could have gotten that money as well instead of them

Thank you very much Wendy

25% fee! That's plain sight robbery!!!

I don't understand. Paypal is not suppose to charge fees for donation. Only money going out of Paypal is supposed to be charged

• SileneUKSileneUK Posts: 1,970

Hello Phillipe, It did not come up as a DONATION, it came up as MONEY SENT which charges a fee. It was only 5% to me, you got the full amount I chose.  I do donate to others, in the US and Europe, and it comes up as a DONATION before I click to send, so there is no doubt... and there is no fee for donations.  So maybe you need to check your PP settings?

yes Silene

• SileneUK said:

Hello Phillipe, It did not come up as a DONATION, it came up as MONEY SENT which charges a fee. It was only 5% to me, you got the full amount I chose.  I do donate to others, in the US and Europe, and it comes up as a DONATION before I click to send, so there is no doubt... and there is no fee for donations.  So maybe you need to check your PP settings?

yes Silene

I will. Thank you Silene

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 8,334
    th3Digit said:
    SileneUK said:
    Philemo said:

Philemo,

Cheers, yes  Silene

Add me to the donators, hope Philemo gets that Donation sorted !!!

• Philemo said:
    SileneUK said:

yes Silene

I will. Thank you Silene

It's done. I had to upgrade my Paypal account to business. Now the link should cost you no fees (although it might for mesad, documentation is unclear on that outside the US). Anyhow, fees, if any, should no exceed 3.54%, which is better than the previous solution.

• Bunyip02 said:
    th3Digit said:
    SileneUK said:
    Philemo said:

Philemo,

Cheers, yes  Silene

Add me to the donators, hope Philemo gets that Donation sorted !!!

Thank you for that. You are on my list.

Silene obviously donated a lot more angel

my small donation incured a bigger percentage cheeky

• BrianP21361BrianP21361 Posts: 807
    edited October 2018

Went to donate and couldn't find an option for the US. Did I miss something?

Post edited by BrianP21361 on
  • th3Digit said:

A lot more wink

In the other hand, it's your second donation.

edited October 2018
    th3Digit said:

Wendy, it wasn't that much... I think it's all to do with cross border stuff... read on!!

Hi Phillipe, Now that you are set up as a business, it seems that you now pay all the fees vs before when using Sent Money, the buyer/donator paid. Is that correct?

From reading some other articles, it appears that if you want to be a true non-profit and not pay any fees, and not have your donators pay any fees as with Sent Money, you have to demonstrate you are a proper charity, and this applies to all countries now. It is unfortunate that PP has chosen to treat artists or other creative people with very small businesses this way. They should really raise the threshold which now starts at zero, and maybe just charge the per transaction fee vs the percentage until you reach a higher monthly threshold?  

This woman at the link below has written a comprehensive article with lots of tables and examples as when you start crossing currencies and borders, it gets complicated, and that that is where the fees start increasing. 

PP can be such a rip off sometimes. I stick with it for the security and convenience and just live with it. 

https://jeangalea.com/understanding-paypal-cross-border-fees/

frown  Silene

Post edited by SileneUK on
  • SileneUK said:
    th3Digit said:

Wendy, it wasn't that much... I think it's all to do with cross border stuff... read on!!

Yes Silene, if you're based in the UK, we're still both in the EU (if only for a short while, unfortunately) where no cross-border exists.

• SileneUK said:
    th3Digit said:

Hi Phillipe, Now that you are set up as a business, it seems that you now pay all the fees vs before when using Sent Money, the buyer/donator paid. Is that correct?

Yes, that's the idea. I believe I should oay the fees, not the donator.

SileneUK said:

From reading some other articles, it appears that if you want to be a true non-profit and not pay any fees, and not have your donators pay any fees as with Sent Money, you have to demonstrate you are a proper charity, and this applies to all countries now.

I suppose it's the easiest way for them to be in accordance with all local laws describing "non profit". Just let the local decide what is a charity.In the other hand, my son showed me gamers receiving fortunes in donation for live game replay.

SileneUK said:

It is unfortunate that PP has chosen to treat artists or other creative people with very small businesses this way. They should really raise the threshold which now starts at zero, and maybe just charge the per transaction fee vs the percentage until you reach a higher monthly threshold?  

Yes, it makes small payments less profitable. I suppose it creates a gap in which competitors may enter. Then I believe a new model will appear.

SileneUK said:

This woman at the link below has written a comprehensive article with lots of tables and examples as when you start crossing currencies and borders, it gets complicated, and that that is where the fees start increasing. 

PP can be such a rip off sometimes. I stick with it for the security and convenience and just live with it. 

I agree completely. PP sorted out some nasty issues I was involved in with some internet sellers. I'm glad they did it, I'm sure it would have been far more diffcult (if possible) otherwise.

SileneUK said:

Thank you for this link, it's very interesting.

Philemo said:
    th3Digit said:

A lot more wink

In the other hand, it's your second donation.

it was another plugin I will use a lot yes

I do this on ShareCG too if I use something frequently, not much munny as I don't have lots but is like buying things from DAZ

• VIArtsVIArts Posts: 1,499

Y'al just had to abbreviate Paypal, didn't['t you? My mind went tro the wrong place. :D

Philemo and Alberto -- our Carrara plugin geniuses

Y'al just had to abbreviate Paypal, didn't['t you? My mind went tro the wrong place. :D

If you misbehave, we will have to whack your PP !!! cheeky Silene

SileneUK said:

If you misbehave, we will have to whack your PP !!! cheeky Silene

Eep! But sometimes a man's most painful spot is his moat pl-- *notices mods watching* okay, okay, I'll be good...or try to.

edited October 2018

Went to donate and couldn't find an option for the US. Did I miss something?

Sorry...I said the wrong location. There are about 9 tabs on his CTS page. It's the last one on the right next to discussions. It will show euros...but your  PP acct will process it.  Euro is almost same as USD at present. Your card attached to your PP likely will charge you a cross currency fee. 

cheeky  Silene

Post edited by SileneUK on
  • Thanks for the help. Philemon cleared up the issue. The page is in French and the US is Etats Unis in French. Once I knew that it was easy to pick the right country and donate. 

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

mebbe?, a mthod to save a hd morph from the plugin ds to a disp map ?

• Mistara said:

I'm working on the subject. I think you can expect something in 3 or 4 weeks from now.

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 8,334
    Philemo said:
    Mistara said:

I'm working on the subject. I think you can expect something in 3 or 4 weeks from now.

Thank you !!!!

Philemo said:
    Mistara said:

A turkey?

Philemo said:
    Mistara said:

heartheartheartyesyesyes

actually a post in another thread by someone revealed the reason HD morphs work in Poser on DSON imports

Poser has the ability to allow subdivided mesh to load morphs

it's this Carrara would need, the ability for the subdivided mesh to retain rigging but allow subdivided mesh to determine the vertex order and it would need to be subdivided to the same vertex count as the HD morphs, exported as obj no decrypting needed.

edited November 2018

making a preset to apply phong tesselation in skin shader?
    there no way to apply settings without changing the applied texture maps?
    there's no way to know if a customer has the plugin installed?

has anyone made a utoob tutorial on installing and using the plugin? was thinkin could give a link in the readme.

thanks coolangeldevil

Post edited by Mistara on
    edited December 2018

wondering if there an easy way to switch out the transmapped leaves for the phong made leaves in an existing tree preset?

need a hot cuppa tea 

Post edited by Mistara on