The Official aweSurface Test Track

Comments

• wowiewowie Posts: 2,029
    timeoff said:

This sounds excellent, adjusting opaciy on hair models is a bit hit and miss, so any simpliication will be very gratefully recieved!

Spent some time tweaking it. Pretty satisfied with the results.

Basically, you control how much blurriness around the threshold opacity with the opacity optimization dial. You'll get very sharp edges 100% and softer edges with 20% optimization. Thanks to the new code, the difference between 20% and 100% optimization should be minimal (ie 3 min 15 secs at 20% to 3 min 3.7 secs at 100% from testing it on that Fashion Hair for G2F).

You still need to set the 1st opacity filter value, but something halfway (45 to 65%) seems to works best for hair.

• srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241

Finally getting a moment to try to pick up where I left off last year.  If I install the aweShading Kit 1.1 store product, do I also need to separately download and install the aweSurface free base 1.2, or is that already included in the store product?

sriesch said:

Finally getting a moment to try to pick up where I left off last year.  If I install the aweShading Kit 1.1 store product, do I also need to separately download and install the aweSurface free base 1.2, or is that already included in the store product?

The latest build is included with the store product.

• Sven DullahSven Dullah Posts: 7,621
    edited March 2019

I was running into some trouble with the aweSurface scripts while converting this prop:

The 12 ceiling lights have several mat zones, I first converted all of them to awe, then applied the environment shader to the light bulb of the first light, using the script. Everything in the surface pane under the selected surface got the environmental shader. Tried this many times and it always happened, don't know why. So I saved a shader preset for the bulbs and that worked with no problems. Just sharing this in case someone has the same issue;)

Re Education Facility awe 1.png
    1920 x 1080 - 4M
    Post edited by Sven Dullah on
    The 12 ceiling lights have several mat zones, I first converted all of them to awe, then applied the environment shader to the light bulb of the first light, using the script. Everything in the surface pane under the selected surface got the environmental shader. Tried this many times and it always happened, don't know why. So I saved a shader preset for the bulbs and that worked with no problems. Just sharing this in case someone has the same issue;)

Why not just use AWE AreaPT? Unless you need diffuse, which is basically not needed if you want emission.

wowie said:

Why not just use AWE AreaPT? Unless you need diffuse, which is basically not needed if you want emission.

I do:) There are one emissive plane + three instances lighting the scene. Just wanted the bulbs to glow.

I do:) There are one emissive plane + three instances lighting the scene. Just wanted the bulbs to glow.

It should be possible to do it with AWE AreaPT. Exactly how did you make the bulbs 'glow'?

edited March 2019
    wowie said:

It should be possible to do it with AWE AreaPT. Exactly how did you make the bulbs 'glow'?

Just like I said, first used the script, turned out the script converted everything (nonselected) from the bulb right down to the bottom of the surface pane to the environmental shader, a long list of surfaces. All I'm trying to say is there was an issue with the script, and using a shader preset instead worked as expected.

Yeah I made a version first with awe PT arealight for the bulbs, that's 12 lights x 8 bulbs = 24 hours of rendering:) So cheating and using the environmental shader on the bulbs and having 4 very long emissive planes, covering the lamp areas, right under the lamps, hidden to the camera, cut render times to about an hour, as you have adviced us;)

I may use some other method for setting up surfaces and light for this scene, just wanted to point out that the script was not working as expected for some strange reason, and using a shader preset worked. One of those DS bugs again, maybe?

ETA: Those ceiling lights have many mat zones, there are a number of metal parts, the bulbs and the glass, covering the bulbs, which uses transmission with transmisson roughness to make it semi transparent, was just an experiment;)

Thank you. Yeah, the only reason I can think of is the emitters have too complex geometry, which you confirmed. Will have to look into what happened to the script.

edited March 2019

...just bumping this thread with a car conversion;)

D207 AWE1.png
    1920 x 1080 - 3M
  • khorneV2khorneV2 Posts: 146

great one !

khorneV2 said:

great one !

Thank you:)

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,941

..what format was it converted from?

kyoto kid said:

..what format was it converted from?

Poser product, so mats get the DS default at loading. So it would need some serious tweaking even out of the box;)

edited March 2019

Skintesting:)

DEKE AWE 1crop.png
    1127 x 798 - 1M
  • timeofftimeoff Posts: 49

I am unable to get the awe shadowcatcher to work. If I load the AWE quickstart scene, apply the shadowcatcher shader to a plane, select draft/final renderscript, and start a render Daz immediately crashes. The offending lines in the log seem to be:

2019-04-02 11:26:28.664 Loading script: /Users/Shared/My DAZ 3D Library/Shader Presets/wowie/AWE ShadingKit/AWE ShadowCatcher.dsa

2019-04-02 11:26:28.679 WARNING: Script Error: Line 325

2019-04-02 11:26:28.679 WARNING: TypeError: Result of expression 'oProperty' [undefined] is not an object.

2019-04-02 11:26:28.679 WARNING: Stack Trace:

<anonymous>()@/Applications/DAZ 3D/DAZStudio4 64-bit/scripts/support/wowie/Surface/aweShadowCatcherParams.dsa:325

2019-04-02 11:26:28.680 WARNING: /src/pluginsource/DzShaderSupport/dzrslshader.cpp(851): Error executing definition file in DzRSLShader::setDefinitionFile().

2019-04-02 11:26:28.682 Script executed successfully: /Users/Shared/My DAZ 3D Library/Shader Presets/wowie/AWE ShadingKit/AWE ShadowCatcher.dsa

2019-04-02 11:26:55.419 Ran tdlmake on image /Applications/DAZ 3D/DAZStudio4 64-bit/shaders/iray/resources/DTHDR-RuinsB-500.hdr

2019-04-02 11:27:13.014 +++++++++++++++ DAZ Studio 4.10.0.123 starting +++++++++++++++++

This is on a mac not MSwin, but as far as I can see everything else works perfectly. I have tried reinstalling. Any hints?

timeoff said:

I am unable to get the awe shadowcatcher to work. If I load the AWE quickstart scene, apply the shadowcatcher shader to a plane, select draft/final renderscript, and start a render Daz immediately crashes. The offending lines in the log seem to be:

2019-04-02 11:26:28.664 Loading script: /Users/Shared/My DAZ 3D Library/Shader Presets/wowie/AWE ShadingKit/AWE ShadowCatcher.dsa

2019-04-02 11:26:28.679 WARNING: Script Error: Line 325

2019-04-02 11:26:28.679 WARNING: TypeError: Result of expression 'oProperty' [undefined] is not an object.

2019-04-02 11:26:28.679 WARNING: Stack Trace:

<anonymous>()@/Applications/DAZ 3D/DAZStudio4 64-bit/scripts/support/wowie/Surface/aweShadowCatcherParams.dsa:325

2019-04-02 11:26:28.680 WARNING: /src/pluginsource/DzShaderSupport/dzrslshader.cpp(851): Error executing definition file in DzRSLShader::setDefinitionFile().

2019-04-02 11:26:28.682 Script executed successfully: /Users/Shared/My DAZ 3D Library/Shader Presets/wowie/AWE ShadingKit/AWE ShadowCatcher.dsa

2019-04-02 11:26:55.419 Ran tdlmake on image /Applications/DAZ 3D/DAZStudio4 64-bit/shaders/iray/resources/DTHDR-RuinsB-500.hdr

2019-04-02 11:27:13.014 +++++++++++++++ DAZ Studio 4.10.0.123 starting +++++++++++++++++

This is on a mac not MSwin, but as far as I can see everything else works perfectly. I have tried reinstalling. Any hints?

I installed the shadowcatcher a couple of weeks ago but it didn't even show up in my content library, so I thought I had done something wrong, then real life got in the way, so forgot all about it;) Have to try again, also Mac user...

edited April 2019

...meanwhile, some more skintesting...lighting is 3 arealights and a jpeg loaded into the environment sphere...no postwork.

Genaro awe.png
    1920 x 1080 - 3M
    edited April 2019

Ran into a strange thing when rendering this hair, it's invisible if resolution is set to high, only the scullcap renders, base resolution works no problemsurprise

Another problem, probably mesh related... some surfaces in this hall get black spots, even when "use face forward" is enabled and the lot is converted to SubD (which btw made things look a bit better). Any workarounds around? I very much would have wanted to run for president, and this environment would have been perfect, but it just won't cooperate:(

Here I chose a camera angle to avoid the problem areas, but if you look at the benches you will see some black spots.

Town Hall awe.png
    1920 x 1080 - 3M
    edited April 2019

...some other stuff I started working with, then realised I didn't own any egyptian clothing and accessories, so put it on ice for now=)

Ra's palace3 awe.png
    1920 x 1080 - 4M
    Ra's palace 2 awe.png
    1280 x 720 - 2M

Ran into a strange thing when rendering this hair, it's invisible if resolution is set to high, only the scullcap renders, base resolution works no problemsurprise

Another problem, probably mesh related... some surfaces in this hall get black spots, even when "use face forward" is enabled and the lot is converted to SubD (which btw made things look a bit better). Any workarounds around? I very much would have wanted to run for president, and this environment would have been perfect, but it just won't cooperate:(

Here I chose a camera angle to avoid the problem areas, but if you look at the benches you will see some black spots.

...I like the banner.

• khorneV2khorneV2 Posts: 146

Very nice laugh

edited April 2019

Try changing the smoothing angle. If that's due to what I think it is, it's not something inherent to 3delight or aweSurface, it's a DS thing. The hair disappearing thing is likely due to opacity filter setting.

Post edited by wowie on
    wowie said:

Try changing the smoothing angle. If that's due what I think it is, it's not something inherent to 3delight or aweSurface, it's a DS thing. The hair disappearing thing is likely due to opacity filter setting.

Tks wowie, I'll give that a try:)

wowie said:

Try changing the smoothing angle. If that's due what I think it is, it's not something inherent to 3delight or aweSurface, it's a DS thing. The hair disappearing thing is likely due to opacity filter setting.

Tks wowie, I'll give that a try:)

Yup! After a bit of fiddling with smoothing angle, I got rid of the black areas and could disable the use face forward, also set mesh resolution to base, new render in the making:) Tks again!

Yup! After a bit of fiddling with smoothing angle, I got rid of the black areas and could disable the use face forward, also set mesh resolution to base, new render in the making:) Tks again!

Ah, good to know. This particular problem is basically a modelling problem and the artifact it causes should be visible even in OpenGL viewport.

So, I guess that's one less hurdle for you presidential campaign. smiley

edited April 2019
    wowie said:

So, I guess that's one less hurdle for you presidential campaign. smiley

Absolutely, looks like I'm off for a good start! laugh

SVEN FOR PRESIDENT AWE.png
    1920 x 1080 - 3M

...you got my vote.

edited April 2019
    kyoto kid said:

...you got my vote.

yes...one is better than none...meanwhile, back in the Mojave Desert...

Canyon Camp awe 2pp.png
    1920 x 1080 - 4M

..very nice, did you use Terragen for the setting?