The Official aweSurface Test Track

Comments

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,948

...I have the Young Teens Pro Bundle.

• Sven DullahSven Dullah Posts: 7,621
    edited November 2018

So, to make a short story long, started today's session by opening the awe starter scene, set FL for the included camera to 400, enabled DoF, totally NOT able to get those damn artefacts to show. Created a new camera(default setting), set FL, enabled DoF and hit render. DS crashed.

Re- launched DS, opened my test scene, rendered, got the artefacts. Deleted everything, leaving the emissive plane and two cameras, one that came with the starter scene and one that I created. Loaded G2F base character, converted with the aweG2 script, rendered through my camera. Got the artefacts. Rendered through the starter scene camera. No artefacts. (Both cameras with DoF enabled and a FL of 400)

So, the camera created on my system causes issues. The one created on another system works fine.

With my camera:

With the modified starter scene cam:

G2F DF MY CAM.png
    567 x 321 - 177K
    G2F STARTER CAM.png
    685 x 341 - 212K
    Post edited by Sven Dullah on
    edited November 2018

The fact those cameras behave differently has thrown me off the cliffs more than once during testing, so I appologize for the sh'tload of testrenders and speculations. Just want to say that this is not a shader issue, it's something else, if I may be so bald to have an opinion;)

My camera works perfectly fine without DoF or with bump turned off.

Thinking I could try create a simple scene using DS free content, and try replicate the issue...

In terms of popular Genesis content, I have, for instance:

Stephanie 5 Starter Bundle
    Aiko 5 Starter Bundle
    David 5 Starter Bundle
    Michael 5 Pro Bundle
    Victoria 5 Pro Suite

Most oldtimers would own at least something from this list.

surpriseI must be a newbie after all, never bothered to get the pro bundles, just have the morphs. I'm addicted to morphs;)

• So, the camera created on my system causes issues. The one created on another system works fine.

O.o

Could you please save out that glitchy camera as a preset and attach it??

Thinking I could try create a simple scene using DS free content, and try replicate the issue...

Aiko 5 Starter Bundle
    David 5 Starter Bundle
    Michael 5 Pro Bundle
    Victoria 5 Pro Suite

surpriseI must be a newbie after all, never bothered to get the pro bundles, just have the morphs. I'm addicted to morphs;)

Those pro bundles - and especially the "suite" - were THE cost-effective way of getting a load of original Genesis content. The "suite" was effectively V5 Pro bundle plus this: https://www.daz3d.com/genesis-starter-bundle - and I then waited for a sale that brought the price at least 50% down... :)

The starter bundles I got three years later in one amazing promo which made them either free or almost-free, can't recall.

Genesis 2 and 3, those I never invested in much. Most of my Genesis 3 content came from last year's Thanksgiving freebiemania =)

edited November 2018

So, the camera created on my system causes issues. The one created on another system works fine.

O.o

Maybe I should start selling it as an Fx camera that  totally messes up your character, leaving clothing untouchedfrown

Yes I can do that;)

Aiko 5 Starter Bundle
    David 5 Starter Bundle
    Michael 5 Pro Bundle
    Victoria 5 Pro Suite

Those pro bundles - and especially the "suite" - were THE cost-effective way of getting a load of original Genesis content. The "suite" was effectively V5 Pro bundle plus this: https://www.daz3d.com/genesis-starter-bundle - and I then waited for a sale that brought the price at least 50% down... :)

The starter bundles I got three years later in one amazing promo which made them either free or almost-free, can't recall.

Genesis 2 and 3, those I never invested in much. Most of my Genesis 3 content came from last year's Thanksgiving freebiemania =)

Hmm yes I've certainly checked out the sales, turned out I pretty much own all the content already so no use in getting those bundles. Last year's sales will forever stay in my memory though, farout=))

Skin issue update:

I just opened another simple similar scene with an HDRI, a character and a camera. Don't recall the origin of the camera but pretty sure I created it. Well it works , no issues. So I created another camera with dfault settings, adjusted settings to about the same as the glitchy one, turned on DoF, works fine! So LOL 4 days of testing, still no clue!

Time to move on

@Mustakettu85 Sent you a PM;)

Skin issue update2:

No problems today, been opening a number of scenes, created cameras, it really seems to be only the one camera I created at some point that has this issue. And it's "working" on every character I've tested it on thus far, truly messes up the mesh, leaving everything else untouched. Not sure if I should keep it or take it deep into the woods and bury it in a swamp...

edited November 2018

Umm I'm sorry but I have to ask - what do you think specular maps are for?

surpriseWell I've always thought that for example if you want the forehead and nose tip to be a bit glossier than the chin you use a grayscale map in the specular strength slot to take care of that. Don't sure I understand what you mean, please enlighten mesmiley

surpriseWell I've always thought that for example if you want the forehead and nose tip to be a bit glossier than the chin you use a grayscale map in the specular strength slot to take care of that. Don't sure I understand what you mean, please enlighten mesmiley

"Glossier", nope. Unless you're using this word in a "layman" meaning, like, "the highlight is more visible".

But okay, in oldschool shading specular maps were indeed used to control specular strength.

And so you would not want to use a diffuse map for it either way. I mean, for instance, lips are generally darker than the rest of the skin, right? Consequently you decrease the strength of your highlight on the lips. And so on.

That's actually even leaving aside the issue of gamma correcting each map per its purpose.

Now, we are in the PBR world, where roughness will also realistically affect the strength of the highlight. So unless you mix two different materials on the same surface, you do not need a specular _strength_ map at all. It's still all skin. The strength slider controls its edge reflectance basically.

What you want is variable roughness, so that you'd get something like glossy ( = smooth hence shiny) lips, moderately glossy T-zone and cheekbones, and the rest of the skin dry enough to look silky.

I understand that since I don't post finished, pretty pictures but only tests, most people just scroll on by and never read my walls of text. But even if you don't care for my "anti-sunburn" adjustments, you may still want to have a look at the extremely quick-to-make but efficient roughness map I attached to that post. It's efficient because you only need to use it on the front head surfaces and set the roughness the same for all skin surfaces, face, torso, limbs - so that the map computes variable roughness for the face and the other surfaces seamlessly connect to the face without mapping. // texture lookups do take some time //

It is literally a minute or two to paint in Paint.NET or whatever - just half grey on white. Or if you want to get more fancy, use other grey values. The darker it gets, the glossier that spot will be. So be reasonable.

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/4005391/#Comment_4005391

Yeah I meant more visible, not more glossy, sorry! And tks for the heads up and the great tip, I somehow managed to miss your post:( Off to experiment...

And so I have experimented with using specular maps vs no specular maps. and I respectfully agree to disagree;) Sure your method works on many of the newer more complex models, and in theory it should work as you say. However, after trying to get a couple of the old V4 hair models to look good, I claim that there is no way to do it without those specular maps, the hair ends up looking like the glass helmets I mentioned. And believe me, I've really tried everything, different spec BRDFs, spec. roughness, no anisotropy vs anisotropy, combining different amounts of roughness with bump, displacement, SSS, different gamma values for the trans maps. Not to mention the opacity filters etc.

wowie's transfer specular maps script is a very good tool!! You'll have for example the spec. maps in the spec1 strength slot and no maps in the spec2 strength slot, easy to compare:)

edited November 2018

...an observation...

I've got the "eternal render" bug off and on, which has been discussed earlier. One reason was having the "use face forward" option checked for props, forcing the raytracer to calculate polys not visible to the camera. (Or something along those lines)

I just found another thing that gives me the same issue (just to clarify, in non progressive scripted rendering, the renderer never completes the first render pass). I experimented with different spec. BRDFs on the cornea. The CookTorrance Classic causes this. If I swap it for the regular CookTorrance, it renders without issues. Have yet to test the other options...

AshikhminShirley- works

GGX- doesn't work

AshikhminShirley Classic- works

CookTorrance- works

CookTorrance Classic-doesn't work

...repeated the test without touching anything else, and now they suddenly all render without issues, so probably ignore what I said...

Might be worth trying another specular type if running into trouble...

ETA: I don't know which one is which in real life, I go by what the shader says.

edited November 2018

...well back on topic..

Siren hair for V4 with specular maps

...and with no specular maps

...well you get the picture...

Siren hair V4 no specular maps.png
    800 x 1120 - 2M
    Siren hair V4 w specular maps.png
    800 x 1120 - 1M
    edited November 2018

Using specular 1 with maps, specular 2 with only reflections and no maps, added SSS, adjusted eyes and skin SSS, pretty happy with those settings, feel free to disagree:)

Siren hair V4 w specular maps SSS spec2 refl.png
    800 x 1120 - 1M
  • wowiewowie Posts: 2,029
    And so I have experimented with using specular maps vs no specular maps. and I respectfully agree to disagree;) Sure your method works on many of the newer more complex models, and in theory it should work as you say. However, after trying to get a couple of the old V4 hair models to look good, I claim that there is no way to do it without those specular maps, the hair ends up looking like the glass helmets I mentioned.

Here's a thought, rather than using the specular maps for specular, try using them as bump maps. More so since we got the whole crazy bump thing resolved. smiley If you have pretty detailed bump maps, specular strength maps are often unnecessary (for hair).

wowie's transfer specular maps script is a very good tool!! You'll have for example the spec. maps in the spec1 strength slot and no maps in the spec2 strength slot, easy to compare:)

It's also easy to mix between both as well.

As for 3delight standalone, there are sites who hosts the file independently of 3delight.com. But they may not be up to the latest/last version of 12.

Here's a workaround for the Cook Torrance performance problems. Best way to speed it up is to limit max diffuse depth to 1 for the material you're using it. In general though, I recommend not using it unless it's necessary. They are only useful if you have non UV mapped props/objects and don't want to use GGX.

• ...well back on topic..

Well, I've always been extremely picky about hair, so this model wasn't something I ever considered buying.

Of course, due to bundles and freebies, I do have a variety of stuff. And here's my two kopecks... Not every old hair model is worth salvaging for "hero" shots.

Whichever maps you put on this one, in 2018 it's a lo-poly model for background characters. Or for straight-out toon style, maybe. Like, without transmaps even.

For instance, Wild Orchid, despite an earlier SKU, once you hide those pseudo-braids draping down the shoulders, is pretty much capable of looking very decent, but of course you have to swap those diffuse maps with burnt-in highlights for something else.

https://www.daz3d.com/wild-orchid-hair

Every old model is to be evaluated on a case-by-case basis. Funny how the simplest and oldest models, like quite a few Kozaburo freebies, still have some potential - provided their UV mapping isn't too convoluted to work with contemporary "generic texture" packs.

wowie said:
    And so I have experimented with using specular maps vs no specular maps. and I respectfully agree to disagree;) Sure your method works on many of the newer more complex models, and in theory it should work as you say. However, after trying to get a couple of the old V4 hair models to look good, I claim that there is no way to do it without those specular maps, the hair ends up looking like the glass helmets I mentioned.

Here's a thought, rather than using the specular maps for specular, try using them as bump maps. More so since we got the whole crazy bump thing resolved. smiley If you have pretty detailed bump maps, specular strength maps are often unnecessary (for hair).

Good news & good pointsyes

wowie said:

It's also easy to mix between both as well.

As for 3delight standalone, there are sites who hosts the file independently of 3delight.com. But they may not be up to the latest/last version of 12.

Here's a workaround for the Cook Torrance performance problems. Best way to speed it up is to limit max diffuse depth to 1 for the material you're using it. In general though, I recommend not using it unless it's necessary. They are only useful if you have non UV mapped props/objects and don't want to use GGX.

Valuable piece of info, tks!

...well back on topic..

Well, I've always been extremely picky about hair, so this model wasn't something I ever considered buying.

Of course, due to bundles and freebies, I do have a variety of stuff. And here's my two kopecks... Not every old hair model is worth salvaging for "hero" shots.

Well we can certainly agree on that;

Whichever maps you put on this one, in 2018 it's a lo-poly model for background characters. Or for straight-out toon style, maybe. Like, without transmaps even.

Hmm, sure... sorry toon lovers... I hate photorealistic toonsdevil

For instance, Wild Orchid, despite an earlier SKU, once you hide those pseudo-braids draping down the shoulders, is pretty much capable of looking very decent, but of course you have to swap those diffuse maps with burnt-in highlights for something else.

https://www.daz3d.com/wild-orchid-hair

Every old model is to be evaluated on a case-by-case basis. Funny how the simplest and oldest models, like quite a few Kozaburo freebies, still have some potential - provided their UV mapping isn't too convoluted to work with contemporary "generic texture" packs.

aweSurface really makes those baked in highlight pop, doesn't it. On a more general note, I may own a handful of "realistic" hair models, so I need to learn to "salvage" a couple of the old/freebie stuff.

•  I need to learn to "salvage" a couple of the old/freebie stuff.

What you need the most is a good texture set. My go-to set is that OOT's "IrayPair" at Rendo. Sorry DAZ store, if there are any comparable sets here, they haven't been marketed in a way that would catch my eye =D

Then it's a matter of switching to GGX and balancing the bump. With aweStuff, though, it may be more versatile to use two Ashikhmin layers to try and approximate the GGX falloff - because if you don't go full-weight, full-force with GGX on "physically rough" surfaces on grazing angles with backlight, the highlights will look "fuzzy". Ashikhmin survives all the awe-optimisations better, but requires manual finetuning for the two-layer approximation approach.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,948

O.o

Aiko 5 Starter Bundle
    David 5 Starter Bundle
    Michael 5 Pro Bundle
    Victoria 5 Pro Suite

...I've been able to get the Genesis Starter Bundles with every iteration of the figure without buying a Suite bundle. 

I stopped bothering with Starter/Pro bundles after Gen4 as back then the bundles also included the advanced head, body & expression morphs, a skin pack, and a couple pose packs (all pretty useful and basic for doing anything with the character). With Genesis that all had to be purchased separately even though they were still a basic necessary (all the add on characters like Vicky, Mike, & such required them).  The pro bundles instead became little more than collections of clothing, hair and, couple character morphs and an extra pose set (Genesis base figures used to include a basic pose set, but that that was eliminated during G2's run).  Much of the time the offerings in teh bundles were items I didn't use, like fantasy themed & skimp wear, and character morphs I could create on my own, so I would just purchase a basic figure (if I felt it would help with character development) and then added the items to go with it that I actually would use.

Then it's a matter of switching to GGX and balancing the bump. With aweStuff, though, it may be more versatile to use two Ashikhmin layers to try and approximate the GGX falloff - because if you don't go full-weight, full-force with GGX on "physically rough" surfaces on grazing angles with backlight, the highlights will look "fuzzy". Ashikhmin survives all the awe-optimisations better, but requires manual finetuning for the two-layer approximation approach.

Since I don't fully understand the two layer approach, I need to ask. Do you mean using the coat layer? Just to have more options to blend various specular parameter values? And if you mean the coat, does it need maps, in this particular case? And if so, would that be coat thickness, roughness, other? And if I missed your point totally, please explainblush

kyoto kid said:

O.o

Aiko 5 Starter Bundle
    David 5 Starter Bundle
    Michael 5 Pro Bundle
    Victoria 5 Pro Suite

...I've been able to get the Genesis Starter Bundles with every iteration of the figure without buying a Suite bundle. 

I stopped bothering with Starter/Pro bundles after Gen4 as back then the bundles also included the advanced head, body & expression morphs, a skin pack, and a couple pose packs (all pretty useful and basic for doing anything with the character). With Genesis that all had to be purchased separately even though they were still a basic necessary (all the add on characters like Vicky, Mike, & such required them).  The pro bundles instead became little more than collections of clothing, hair and, couple character morphs and an extra pose set (Genesis base figures used to include a basic pose set, but that that was eliminated during G2's run).  Much of the time the offerings in teh bundles were items I didn't use, like fantasy themed & skimp wear, and character morphs I could create on my own, so I would just purchase a basic figure (if I felt it would help with character development) and then added the items to go with it that I actually would use.

The introduction of Iray has saved me a lot of money, I basically had to re-think the whole shopping thing. And so now when we finally have pathtracing at our hands, it's yet again a new deal. I find it necessary to experiment with the old stuff before starting to buy into something new;)

edited November 2018

Skin issue update2:

No problems today, been opening a number of scenes, created cameras, it really seems to be only the one camera I created at some point that has this issue. And it's "working" on every character I've tested it on thus far, truly messes up the mesh, leaving everything else untouched. Not sure if I should keep it or take it deep into the woods and bury it in a swamp...

I really hate having to bring up this thing again. Made an overnight large size render of that hair scene, using these camera settings:

Lighting is HDRI + emitter plane

Ignore the hair/clothes, here is a down sampled version: (click for large)

...a full size screengrab of the face:

...and of the hands:

Haven't looked further into this yet, and frankly, I'll just quit using DoF for now, need to get other things done... just wanted to share, incase someone gets an idea about what's going on;)

ARTEF CAM.png
    316 x 447 - 56K
    ARTEFACT SCALED DOWN.png
    1660 x 1057 - 2M
    ARTEFACT CL 1.png
    1640 x 1004 - 2M
    ARTEFACT 2 CL.png
    1300 x 792 - 1M
  • wowiewowie Posts: 2,029

Since I don't fully understand the two layer approach, I need to ask. Do you mean using the coat layer? Just to have more options to blend various specular parameter values? And if you mean the coat, does it need maps, in this particular case? And if so, would that be coat thickness, roughness, other? And if I missed your point totally, please explainblush

I think she meant using both base specular lobes with Ashihkmin Shirley to get something close to GGX, which is why what I prefer for a variety of reasons.

• GGX reflection tends to be noisy, even at low roughness.
    • With my optimizations, using two lobes stacked together with Ashihkmin Shirley still ended up faster than a single GGX lobe even with brute force ray tracing.
    • You can approximate the longer tail (highlight spread) of GGX with the second lobe, particularly if you use glossy Fresnel.

That said, GGX is currently the gold standard for the entire CGI industry. Arnold, Renderman, Vray, Corona, Mantra, Cycles, Octane, Redshift, even 3delight NSI use it as the default BRDF for specular/reflection. It's also used in realtime engines like UE4, Unity, etc. The drawbacks I mention is the limitations of GGX implementation with 3delight RSL, so there's currently no workaround for that.

As for the render, it would be much easier for us to help if you explicity point out the problem. I think I see some faceting on the tip of the nose?

wowie said:

I think she meant using both base specular lobes with Ashihkmin Shirley to get something close to GGX, which is why what I prefer for a variety of reasons.

• With my optimizations, using two lobes stacked together with Ashihkmin Shirley still ended up faster than a single GGX lobe even with brute force ray tracing.
    • You can approximate the longer tail (highlight spread) of GGX with the second lobe, particularly if you use glossy Fresnel.

That said, GGX is currently the gold standard for the entire CGI industry. Arnold, Renderman, Vray, Corona, Mantra, Cycles, Octane, Redshift, even 3delight NSI use it as the default BRDF for specular/reflection. It's also used in realtime engines like UE4, Unity, etc. The drawbacks I mention is the limitations of GGX implementation with 3delight RSL, so there's currently no workaround for that.

As for the render, it would be much easier for us to help if you explicity point out the problem. I think I see some faceting on the tip of the nose?

If you click to enlarge, you'll see just that on her nose and chin, and a horisontal line on her chest, and her right hand.

edited November 2018

I picked a random G2F character (Beau), created a camera with DoF:

Rendered in vanilla/progressive mode with these render settings:

and these dimensions:

Using just the camera headlamp:(Click for large)

And then just turned off progressive mode:

Beau camera settings.png
    307 x 433 - 54K
    Beau render settings.png
    407 x 635 - 78K
    Beau render dimensions.png
    402 x 311 - 50K
    Beau vanilla:progressive.png
    2020 x 2641 - 4M
    Beau vanilla non progressive.png
    2914 x 2887 - 5M
    edited November 2018
    wowie said:

Thanks, much appreciated!

edited November 2018

I picked a random G2F character (Beau), created a camera with DoF:

Rendered in vanilla/progressive mode with these render settings:

and these dimensions:

Using just the camera headlamp:(Click for large)

And then just turned off progressive mode:

Ok so after some more testing in vanilla with a number of characters with AoA SSS and OmUberSurface, in progressive mode, I get some artefacts with DoF enabled and no artefacts without DoF. Don't know if that means anything, though. Maybe it's just some of the limitations of progressive mode? But without progressive, no artefacts.

Lol I obviously can't let this go, very disturbing indeed!

So I converted the G2F base character to awe once more, and suddenly unable to replicate the issue with scripted pathtracing?? Go figure..

Edit: No it's there. Did not spot it, had to increase light intensity. Only using an enissive plane as a light source.

Raytracer Final non progressive with DoF

Same as above, no DoF

Getting the same results with progressive.

G2F raytracer:nonprogr:DoF.png
    953 x 861 - 691K
    G2F raytr final nonpr no DoF.png
    889 x 868 - 679K
    edited November 2018

...note, this one is NOT related to skin issues, just carry on, peoplelaugh Think I'll call it "The Bermuda Circle" or possibly "I created my first Firefly"

The Bermuda Circle.png
    1800 x 1013 - 2M
    edited November 2018

..and my second firefly, a little more obvious;) I figure it's the geometry causing it due to the perfect edges, don't know for sure. Had to render these two with progressive on, maybe that's one reason. But no noise, I'm very impressed! Used 12x12 pixelsamples.

The Bermuda Circle2.png
    1800 x 1013 - 2M
    edited November 2018

...just playing with the coat layer on Marshian's impossible objects...endless possibilities:)

The Impossible awe.png
    1800 x 1013 - 3M