New User needing general help

124»

Comments

• Quick question, if you please

I know you can sale renders, and while I technically believe it would be fine, I was wondering if it would be ok to render an object such as the .357 magnum from different angles and sell as a 2d prop pack? (front, back, 45 angle, 90 angle, etc.)

A credit to known artists would be included, along with a link to the original item here on the daz website.

Thank you

• 1.)Some items are suppose to have geometry switches, do these not usually work in daz? are they mostly for poser only?

Geometry switching was originally a Poser feature. When DAZ|Studio first came out it was supported, but since D|S4 I think something must have changed in the way Poser native files are automatically translated into D|S native files when you load an old Poser item. I opened a support ticket about this a while ago, what they said was essentially "sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't".

I was trying to convert the oldie-but-goodie Gazer monstrous critter into proper D|S native files; it has tentacles with switchable claws/suckers/eyeballs on the ends. Oddly, I was successful saving the Poser object as a Scene Subset, but saving it properly as a Figure Asset (exactly the same as anything you'd buy from the DAZ store) broke the geometry switching.

• I need help: follow these steps to create textures for clothes I bought but is not working !!
    when I need to apply the texture click file and then merge to the location of the texture appear !!
    Can anyone help me with this ??

pleaseeeee

To save textures as material in DAZ Studio.
    Place your textures in a folder, eg Charm dress New Materials
    Then place the folder dress Charm New Materials in the Runtime_Textures folder.
    The full path is so for example:
    DAZ 3D \ Studio \ My Library \ Runtime \ Textures \ Fatima Maps \ Charm dress New Materials
    Create a folder inside the folder Charm dress will look like this.
    DAZ 3D \ Studio \ My Library \ People \ Genesis 3 Female \ Clothing \ JeffersonAF \ dress Charm \ Charm dress New Materials
    Now open DAZ Studio.
    Load Charm dress. and nothingggggggggg

02.JPG
    1919 x 999 - 336K
    Capturar1.JPG
    1164 x 874 - 132K
  • GuyGenesisGuyGenesis Posts: 142
    edited November 2016

@Spotted Kitty, Thank you - I had noticed it working with one item, while not with another and couldn't figure that out.

@morganahope I can't exactly understand what your asking, sorry about that, but if your asking how to save a texture within daz
    This is how I do it...
    - Load up item, select it in scene tab, go into surfaces tab, click on diffuse picture and load my texture into daz
    - Select Item in scene tab -- Click File > Save as > Material(s) Preset...
    - File location is as follows -- C:/Users/Name/Documents/DAZ 3D/Studio/My Library/Presets/Materials/ (your folder or file)
    I always just save them to the default preset location, not in runtime and they seem to work

Hope this helps, if not hopefully someone better aquainted with the program can help you.

Post edited by GuyGenesis on
  • Personally I don't see why this would be a problem, but I am curious?

If I buy a character and their texture set includes a tattooed version, can I remove the tattoo for use as a solo L.I.E. option...
    ...for personal use?
    ...for commercial use (in a render)?

As always, Thank you for your time.

• Personally I don't see why this would be a problem, but I am curious?

If I buy a character and their texture set includes a tattooed version, can I remove the tattoo for use as a solo L.I.E. option...
    ...for personal use?
    ...for commercial use (in a render)?

As always, Thank you for your time.

Yes to both, you can (under the Daz EULA) manipulate products as you wish to create your 2D output.

• Been awhile since I've asked anything, but was curious.

As I'm sure anyone who undertakes the prospect of organizing a vast library knows, it's a pain. Of course (I'm sure) we all have our own way of doing this, but I was wondering if there was a way to save/share our own personalised category system(s) with other users? In-which it includes no items, but (I guess metadata? not really sure how it works) drops those owned by the end user into the given categories. I can't help but think, if such a process was capable, how much time and frustration would this save us all.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565

Been awhile since I've asked anything, but was curious.

As I'm sure anyone who undertakes the prospect of organizing a vast library knows, it's a pain. Of course (I'm sure) we all have our own way of doing this, but I was wondering if there was a way to save/share our own personalised category system(s) with other users? In-which it includes no items, but (I guess metadata? not really sure how it works) drops those owned by the end user into the given categories. I can't help but think, if such a process was capable, how much time and frustration would this save us all.

You can export the user data for a product, and I believe that can be distributed.

edited January 2021

Thanks Mike.

___

Just a helpful hint by the grace of God :) concerning (true) duplicate references in categories. (not 3Delight and Iray, or any other file variety)

In my case Aiko 3 and Aiko 3: Morphs and Maps (poses/painted on clothing)

In Program:
    Uninstall one product and either delete or rename the troublesome files (in the Daz/Poser library section) this should break (or orphan) the file in the category section. Right click on the now broken reference and choose to remove the orphan. Reinstall the other product. And you should be good to go.

I just spent hours removing and installing individual files trying to figure this out, as both referenced a single file... I then tried editing the products metadata through content maintenance, after a lot of Googling, I was fairly frustrated. Then God spoke into mind, "rename the file." And thankfully just like that, fixed. Hope this helps someone. Please note this is dealing with category and not smart content (as I prefer the former).

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565

GuyGenesis said:

Thanks Mike.

___

Just a helpful hint by the grace of God :) concerning (true) duplicate references in categories. (not 3Delight and Iray, or any other file variety)

In my case Aiko 3 and Aiko 3: Morphs and Maps (poses/painted on clothing)

In Program:
    Uninstall one product and either delete or rename the troublesome files (in the Daz/Poser library section) this should break (or orphan) the file in the category section. Right click on the now broken reference and choose to remove the orphan. Reinstall the other product. And you should be good to go.

I just spent hours removing and installing individual files trying to figure this out, as both referenced a single file... I then tried editing the products metadata through content maintenance, after a lot of Googling, I was fairly frustrated. Then God spoke into mind, "rename the file." And thankfully just like that, fixed. Hope this helps someone. Please note this is dealing with category and not smart content (as I prefer the former).

Yes, this is an (IMHO) unfortunate change which was made in how DS displays files that belong to multiple products.  Previously, if multiple products installed the same file to the same location, it would only be displayed once.  Now, each asset belongs to one product, so even if they point to the exact same file in the exact same location, DS lists the asset separately for each product which uses it.  AFAIK there isn't any option to use the old behavior.  This is particularly problematic for those of us who have been using categories for a long time, or who don't want to individually save their custom categories for each product.  When you use "Export User Data" to back up all your custom categories/tags/etc, it doesn't save the product information.  It treats all user data as belonging to the product "LOCAL_USER".  If you need to restore that data, it's all grouped under that product.  Now you have a quandary -- either you have a duplicate copy of every asset displayed, or you have to throw out all the product information.  There's no way to globally reassign your user data to the products the files originally came from.

edited February 2021

Using Daz 4.15 if it matters.

A couple of quick questions if I might (concerning Poser formats). PP is preferable to P4 and P5 (as I understand it) what about P6-P9+. Is one of those preferable to the others? SSS (Poser native) is less than ideal, what about AO? Are they worth keeping (handy)? Is this dependent upon version (P4, P5, etc) or branching? Any other shader based types I should be aware of?

To anyone interested I'm organizing and only want easy access to useful files (where applicable). Please elaborate as little or much as you'd like.

Thank you.

• GuyGenesis said:

Using Daz 4.15 if it matters.

A couple of quick questions if I might (concerning Poser formats). PP is preferable to P4 and P5 (as I understand it) what about P6-P9+. Is one of those preferable to the others? SSS (Poser native) is less than ideal, what about AO? Are they worth keeping (handy)? Is this dependent upon version (P4, P5, etc) or branching? Any other shader based types I should be aware of?

To anyone interested I'm organizing and only want easy access to useful files (where applicable). Please elaborate as little or much as you'd like.

Thank you.

DS reads only the basic settings from Poser materials, not the shader tree section introduced with Poser 5. Poser 4 used a special format for bump maps, which DS can't produce. So PoserPro is usally best because it uses standrad formats for bumps maps and doesn't use the Shader Tree, but others may work OK. Also, be alert for Poser files with Daz Studio-native sidecar files, a .ds? script file with the same name and location as the Poser file which DS will load when the Poser file is double-clicked.

edited February 2021

(problem) Products installed via DIM not showin as installed in "Products"

(solution) Reimport Metadata via DB Maintenance

---

this was annoying me, what a quick prayer can do

edited March 2021

Before I ask, I can save as a scene subset with the geometry switch predefined and achieve the same end (with basically a cloned item), but I am curious if there is anyway to save a preset specifically for the geometry switch (in an altered position)? that when I click the image in my library it switches the item. I assumed save as property, but that specific option does not appear alongside the others.

As always, thanks for taking the time

• You could try a Prperties preset - note the extra tabs in the options dialogue, with check boxes to enable them.

Richard Haseltine said:

You could try a Prperties preset - note the extra tabs in the options dialogue, with check boxes to enable them.

That particular option is not listed in the save dialogue, though it is listed in the parameters tab. I remember awhile back (a few years) when first happening upon geometry switches, SpottedKitty had told me that "sometimes they work, sometimes they don't."

The item in question is https://www.daz3d.com/beach-dress

I don't know if the problem persists with these (I'll try and test in a bit), but two other known (to me) items with geometry switches
    https://www.daz3d.com/357-magnum-revolver
    https://www.daz3d.com/breast-cancer-research-russian-egg

A couple of things if you please, neither of which is rather important, more of curiousity on my part.

1) When dealing in parameters (within the shaping tab) If I organized them into their original sets and then (in theory) applied an update I assume that would reset those directly affected to their factory placement? However if I saved out as a scene with said changes, would they not infact retain placement (with said update applied)? or would the update not carry over, until a new model was loaded? effectively resetting them anyways? I'm specifically referring to the original genesis character and so doubt updates will be an issue. Organizing them would help me know what sets I used and also not be overwhelmed by a massive list of morphs that at times achieve almost identical results, thus cutting down on navigation time.

2) Did one of the newer versions of studio change something in the surface tabs? Not all, but a couple of characters (still using Genesis) have this unwanted white on the eyes that I don't remember (the problem can be resolved by changing the specular color from white to black, turning down it's given strength, or turning it off on the iris, pupil, and lacrimal). Haven't explored the extent but...
    [14065] Baby for Genesis & [14251] Bugbear for Genesis both are affected (different vendors) An easy fix is to save out a double click utility, but I'm just curious.

As always thanks for taking the time

• 1) I think any local overrides would remain in effect

2) not sure if it's relevant but the version of Iray in the current general rlease does have some issues with transparency.

Richard Haseltine said:

1) I think any local overrides would remain in effect

2) not sure if it's relevant but the version of Iray in the current general rlease does have some issues with transparency.

Thanks again :) I'm using 3delight, so I wouldn't think that the issue... 

edited April 2021

I saw a conversation on here the other day about character load times and how adding morphs affects them, and I was just wondering; (1) is there anyway to save out a character clone with just specific morphs applied (Victoria 8 as example) and (2) is there any advantage (specifically being able to load more characters into a single scene/would there be a pc resource usage difference and would it be slight, mild, or vast)?

Just to clarify, I want to keep my morphable Genesis 8 Female (intact and) as is (with all newly purchased morphs added to the base): untouched. My question is about creating a secondary clone, with (for example) only Victoria 8's morphs (with no need to be able to morph her any further). I wonder if export/importing her as an .obj would do it or if there is a better method (and if it's worth doing)?

Thanks 

There may be an easier way of doing this, but and in address to my previous question :) and Please note moving files within the data folder can have undesired effects (break products). 

Process (creating a base clone)
    1A) uninstall all undesired morphs
    or
    1B) Manually downlaod "Genesis Starter Essentials"
    (whichever version is applicable)
    1B-2) Unzip only from the data folder - people - "Genesis"
    (contains morphs, uvs, and projection templates)

2) Open Daz Studio
    (if not already done)
    3) Load your desired Genesis figure
    optional) Rename in "Scene Tab"
    4) File - Save As - Support Asset - Figure/Prop Asset
    5) Name and place your in-studio file for ease of access
    6) Choose location, vendor, folder & product names
    (this file is placed into data) - (I named mine "Genesis (base)")

7A) If following 1A method reinstall your morphs (as desired)
    7B) If following 1B method, replace morphs (delete those saved and paste those unzipped)
    (this happens inside the data folder where you just saved your clone)

That should be it. You should have two versions of your Genesis character, one with all your morphs and the other the base install. Extra uvs will be left to load with the clone aswell unless you so decide to replace those aswell. My personal purpose for this (clone) is to manually download, install, and uninstall a given character and needed morphs after saving for a lighter resource variant (when needed), while retaining my fully loaded Genesis characters.

edited April 2021

Using Studio 4.15 - I have the serial code and access to its' contents [sku:6864] via my on site library, but not Studio 3 itself and was wondering what specific contents is included (without having to run the installer)? Is there anything not available as it's own product download? Or is it primarily for use with that version? Is there a readme of some sort somewhere? If it was simply a zip I would just open and nose through, but...

Nevermind, I ran the installer and clicked on custom, and it gives a description of the contents :)

And as always, thanks :)

edited May 2021

This may be known to others, but it wasn't to me, and it can be rather frustrating :) Thank God, for enlightening me to the error and work-around fix. When installing via "DIM - Download Install Manager" at times predefined categories will remain blank. Reimporting metadata for the given and problematic product fixes the issue, but what about when there is no metadat to reimport? Closing out both (though DIM seems the important one) and re-opening them followed by reinstallation of the problematic product seems to correct the issue :)

This is for when the files say they are categorized (with checks), but the folders (visuals) are blank; having previously categorized them.

edited July 2021

When manualliy downloading (as backup) what files should I preserve? Like bare minimum (amount while retaining all contents) :) Thanks

I use Daz Studio 4(.15) only, and DIM to install; so I have been manually downloading just those files (DIM available). I assume those for Blender, C4D, Max, Maya, Unreal, Unity, FBX, OBJ are of no real use to me. Is it safe to also assume that .zip and .exe marked as ds, dpc, trx are also of no real use (to me) - being that (I assume) all contents is included in the available DIM downloads?

---

I'm going to try and answer this myself (and for others if need be). Blender, C4D, Max, Maya, Unreal, Unity are all program specific; and Daz Studio includes free bridges to create like files. OBJ seems to be included in the DIM files. FBX I will assume is in a similar vein to OBJ (contents ncluded in DIM variants where needed). the .zip and .exe marked as ds.(daz studio) .dpc (daz poser content) .trx (triax) seem to be the original manual downloads before the introduction and conversion to DIM(?). So again, I will assume if DIM files are available, these files alone (though I grab the template specific files aswell) are all (that is) needed for Daz or Poser installs (thus backup).

--

The community is very helpful, but what has taught me most of what I know about this program is praying for guidance from God. So if in doubt, pray (it out - as they say).

edited January 2022

-