New User needing general help

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 97,093
    edited December 1969

I was wondering something else, is there anyway to move/organize your morphs(sliders) into new categories? For example move the vascular set (bought) into their own newly created category(vascularity) like the age set (bought) freeing up the universal for general character types?

Yes, click the gear icon on the slider and select Parameter Settings from the menu, then edit the Path field. Use / to separate groups. One done, and satisfied, the changes will save with your scene or you can use File>Save as>Support Assets>Save Modified Assets, making sure that only the things you changed are checked (and make sure you don't change default values or the morphs may load on and have to be reset). Do note, however, that if this is a commercial item any updates will overwrite your regrouping.

• GuyGenesisGuyGenesis Posts: 142
    edited December 1969

Alright thank you all for your help

edited December 1969

Anyone know anything about the Genesis Generation X2 and GenX2 AddOn for Genesis 2? I was wondering if it would correctly transfer the Ape World 2 to the original Genesis? so I could use those with my other Gen 1 morphs (my main concern is the toes). I hate to spend another 26 bucks, but with that discount am tempted, but only if it works flawlessly.

edited December 1969

Anyone?
    sorry for being pushy, I just hate to miss the sale if I need it, and hate to spend the money if it's not what I want. Frankly I don't know what to do about it.
    Thanks again

• scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,316
    edited December 1969

Yes GenX will transform the Ape shapes.

edited February 2015

Thank you.
    On your suggestion I bought GenX2 and it worked flawlessly. Now that opens me up to expanding my character's gene pool even more.

(For those interested obviously the UV's aren't transferred with the general shape), but for my purposes the UV's aren't that important.

Post edited by GuyGenesis on
    edited February 2015

When converting the (DAZ Original) panther(s) (included in Safari Animals & Safari Starter Bundle) to triAx weight the tail keeps messing up. It's like the bones stop working within the cylinders they're assigned to and only works on the very end where it connects to the next bone completely deforming the tail. (becomes very noticeable when trying to pose)

I haven't experienced this with any of the other safari or millennium animals I've converted.

Any idea of the cause? more importantly the solution? which would be as usual muchly appreciated.

edited December 1969

Still need help with the panther, I'm thinking I'm going to have to learn how to re-rig it(a problem with the bones in the transfer process)? I really hope there's an easy fix though.

Also had a few question

1. Is there a maximum number of material zones allowed to a single item?

2. Is there anyway to have multiple groupings of materials on one item (ex. glove-say I make the fingers one group and the hand a second, can I have a second grouping independent from the first where the hand is split into two halves with the thumb, index and middle finger along with that side of the hand as one material separate from the ring, pinky and other side of the hand?) or would I have to duplicate the item with the separate material zones assigned for each?

3. Is there any advantage or disadvantage to having more or fewer material zones?

4. Do shaders require a lot of extra work to line them up across multiple material zones?

As it is know I have like 15 basic designs implemented and 90 something material groups just for the one hand and I have intent of reworking the whole supersuit(for private use only because it's built ontop of the suit). I was just wondering if there was a better way of doing it without all the overlap as their own materials? or if it even mattered

thank you

edited February 2015

Another one guys and gals

How do I get a custom Slider to auto-follow another?

*nevermind figured this one out = just drag from parameters*

edited February 2015

Pending questions
    1. When converting the "Panther(s)" to triax - the rigging, though it looks the same messes up in the tail area, causing the sections containing the bones to become static and the area between two bones to move. Any easy way to fix this?

2A Is there a maximum number of material zones allowed to a single item?
    B. Is there anyway to have multiple groupings of groups of materials on one item or would I have to duplicate the item with the separate material zones assigned for each?
    C. Is there any advantage or disadvantage to having more or fewer material zones?

3. I created a custom morph for the "Genesis Baby" so I don't have to change the child parameters every time I want to dial it in. The problem is the bones do not morph with the shape? (I know nothing about rigging). Figured this one out, must leave restore figure rigging checked. Miss-followed a tutorial

Any help would be muchly appreciated.
    Again I don't mean to be pushy at all just trying to learn. From what I've found the documentation is for older versions and I'm not familiar

edited December 1969

1. Yes, converting to TriAx does not always preserve everything. Some editing may be required.

2. No maximum that I'm aware of - see the Genesis Supersuit for an example with a lot of zones. That also points up the main disadvantage of lost of zones - it can be a pain changing materials, though newer versions of DS do have the useful tools for grouping materials together as seen in the Genesis 2 figures. I'm not sure what you mean in 2B.

3. If you are using stock morphs to make the baby it's best to save a shaping preset rather than export and load as a new morph - that way you don't lose the join adjustments and other refinements. However, if you have a custom morph you can right-click with the Joint Editor tool and click Edit>Adjust Rigging to Shape, then with only the morph and the rigging changes applied go to the Parameters pane, right-click and select Edit Mode, then right-click on your morph and select ERC Freeze, then click Accept.

edited December 1969

Thank you.
    1.So I have to find a rigging tutorial to fix the panther's tail.

B.(ex. glove-say I make the fingers one group and the hand a second, can I have a second grouping independent from the first where the hand is split into two halves with the thumb, index and middle finger along with that side of the hand as one material separate from the ring, pinky and other side of the hand?) I'm asking if you can have the hand broken into say 16 material groups. Is there anyway to have a new grouping that can be loaded with different material groups and only broken into 4? Or is cloning the item as two saves one with 4 material groups the other with 16 the only way

3. I finally figured this one out, and got it the way I need. In order to fully dial the baby you had to turn the child parameter up to 2 or 1.30 to be exact, I didn't want to do that everytime so I tried a cloned child morph, but it distorted the fingers. So eventually I just dialed the baby and child in and made a secondary baby morph and hid the first.

edited December 1969

No, you can't change the number of surfaces or the polygons assigned to a material dynamically, I'm afraid.

edited December 1969

Say I create a clothes item for base genesis, and morph it in an outside program to fit another shape, say the troll to better retain it's original shape. How would I go about adding this secondary(troll) fit to auto morph with my character?

edited December 1969

When you import the OBJ as a morph you need to give it the same internal name as the morph on Genesis. You can get that by clicking the gear on the Genesis morph's slider and selecting Parameter Settings, then copying the name (not the label) text. If you already have an auto generated morph you make need to set Overwrite existing to Deltas only.

edited December 1969

Ok that was exactly what I needed. Thank you once again

edited April 2015

Just a General Question
    Which method is preferable? Detailed 3D Modeling or making a generic shape and fine tuning it with maps (opacity, displacement, bump, etc.)? To be a little more specific, which method is the lighter/heavier load on a pc? And which do you find to be easier?

edited December 1969

Is there a quick way to do partial poses? Other than having to go in and check everything such as index 1, index 2 ...

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

Just a General Question
    Which method is preferable? Detailed 3D Modeling or making a generic shape and fine tuning it with maps (opacity, displacement, bump, etc.)? To be a little more specific, which method is the lighter/heavier load on a pc? And which do you find to be easier?

Generally a lower poly model + maps is 'lighter', but a good balance of maps 'baked' from a very high poly model and a midrange model itself are what I find 'best'.

edited December 1969

Thanks mjc

concerning my other post,
    "Is there a quick way to do a partial pose?..."
    ^Forget this, I had confused myself, the other day I had done this with only selecting certain areas in the general selection and had to select each thing, but as a whole its' a lot simpler, sorry.

edited December 1969

Hello again and thank you all for all your help thus far, I truly do appreciate it.

NEW QUESTION
    Other then the save as hierarchical material(s) preset, is there anyway to save a material preset to a wearable outfit(multiple clothing items)?

edited December 1969

-Is there anyway to get the daz 4.8(public build) shaders to work with 4.7? or are they not compatible(grey/black when applied)?

Just so this doesn't get overlooked(repeat from last post)
    -Other then the save as hierarchical material(s) preset, is there anyway to save a material preset to a wearable outfit(multiple clothing items)?

Sorry to ask so many questions and thanks again.

• BeeMKayBeeMKay Posts: 6,991
    edited December 1969

Are you talking about Iray shaders?
    They would not really work for 3Delight, but if you have 4.8, you can test this by applying the iray shader and then use the 3Delight render engine.

edited December 1969

Yes, I was just curious 'cause they are now in my 4.7 build library aswell. I still prefer 4.7 over the 4.8(public build) for a couple reasons, one being I've got it setup and hate to redo everything. And two, the main draw, being the new render engine, which has fantastic results but takes forever.

I did try your suggestion, and some change to the appropriate colors but I see what you mean, with the render. So they are specific to 4.8(Iray) then

thank you

edited December 1969

What exactly causes some daz files to have multiple database preferred files? It may be something I'm doing, but all I've done is categorized most of these by simply copying, dragging, and categorizing

Ex.
    Surf Shorts
    C:/Users/.../Casual Wear/Surf Shorts.duf
    (2): Surf Shorts
    Casual Wear/Shorts.duf

How would I go about removing the dead paths (2): ?

• atticanneatticanne Posts: 3,009
    edited December 1969

Did you categorize by moving items in your "My Library" folder or did you use the Content folder in Studio?

edited April 2015

Content folder in studio only, no manual file movement. This isn't that big of a deal, I would just like to know what's causing it(probably me) and how to avoid it.

• atticanneatticanne Posts: 3,009
    edited December 1969

I'm not sure this is pertinent to your situation, but when I move a folder or item from one assigned category to another, I first tick

the new location and then go back and untick the old location. The color of the text changes to show all the locations where the folder is.

edited December 1969

I've checked this and unclicked every categorized version of a particular item. Still the same problem.

-when I find my way to it in the "Daz Studio Formats-My Daz 3D Library" the item is label right
    -but when I do a database search the item pops up with (3): in front of the label under the picture
    -I Right click-Database-Preferred File and it shows the full file "C:/Users/.../Casual Wear/Surf Shorts.duf" and it is checked
    -In this instance it also lists two identical files with only the last part of the file "Casual Wear/Shorts.duf"

Like I said this isn't really a problem, I'm just curious about what's going on and if its' me wanting to avoid it.

Thanks for your help

edited May 2015

OK I've been messing around and it seems if I can locate the files in products and change to the bad paths I can remove as orphan but only individually

EDIT
    Also seems to be mostly preinstalled (Genesis Starter) stuff, but oddly enough not all(ex. material 13 yes material 14 no) so is there anyway when this particular content is updating, it could be duplicating the product library in part?

EDIT 2
    Not as much was effected as I had feared, and so I've got it all fixed now. Still curious as to the cause, and thanks for the help