Matt Castle does some stuff

Comments

• WinterMoonWinterMoon Posts: 1,893

Move over, MLP! Matt has the most well-dressed horses. 

• Matt_CastleMatt_Castle Posts: 2,346

Unfortunately, David Hasslehoof wasn't available.

Gallery Link

This is one of my two entries for Renderosity's 3rd Annual Swimsuit contest, featuring my custom made swimsuit for Centaur 8 Female. (And I think I can reasonably claim that I'm one of the few people who made all the swimsuits they used for their entries).

I don't think the rules here will let me link to the contest directly, but if you do think it'd be hilarious to have a horse win a swimsuit contest, this is entry #307. (#310 is my other entry, and you get five votes total, so vote for both if you like them).

• David RDavid R Posts: 214

If there's a prize for originality, you're a shoo-in! laugh

• FirstBastionFirstBastion Posts: 7,336
    edited August 2023

WinterMoon said:

Matt_Castle said:

Suffice to say that this one gave my VRAM a bit of a workout (3060 12 GB), even exploiting Nvidia's feature to let me shove all of DS's OpenGL rendering onto my secondary 1650, but it was eventually all rendered in one pass.

Vivid Imagination

Gallery Link

I love this soooo much! heart

Agreed,  having the kids engaged in the overarching  imagination of their tabletop avatars gives this multilayered story possibilities. Great details.

Post edited by FirstBastion on

David R said:

Well, I can report that I managed to scrape together a podium finish:

Admittedly not quite as funny as it would have been to get the overall win with a horse, but there were some strong entries, so I'll take it.

• David RDavid R Posts: 214

Matt_Castle said:

David R said:

Well, I can report that I managed to scrape together a podium finish:

Admittedly not quite as funny as it would have been to get the overall win with a horse, but there were some strong entries, so I'll take it.

yes 

On the Daz3D Slackers Discord server last night, Amaranth mentioned that she was short of product testers, so I helpfully volunteered myself to test how well her products would fit horses:

Febe Outfit (which she made the mistake of telling me was originally started as a centaur set, but changed part way through, so obviously I had to start with this one):

Gallery Link

Joliette Outfit

Gallery Link

Emissary Outfit

Gallery Link

I'm not sure I got the job, but go and buy her stuff anyway.

I've rendered some pretty stupid things in the past, but I think I'm setting new standards with this one:

Gallery Link

Baby got hindquarters!

• I did wonder where the butt of the Bunny Maid Outfit was, but then I realised the hole was for putting a horse through:

Gallery Link

It's not normally the kind of thing I'd buy, but gutting it of the maid apron and bunny ears, with a few material tweaks it does actually seem to make a passable (if slightly risque) centaur evening dress:

Gallery Link

edited October 2023

Bit of a batch, as I don't seem to have uploaded much to the gallery here in a while:

~~~~~

Wet Floor

Wet tiles aren't fun with hooves.

Gallery Link

~~~~~

Illusions

The tuition of magic as a subject is a little different to any subject encountered in a conventional classroom.

Most beings in Veil have magical potential, but it is in a similar way to the way that most people have the potential to play Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata or run a triathlon. Contrary to the perception it might have in human popular culture, magic is seldom an easy solution to a problem.

Using magic requires constant energy and direction, which makes it difficult to master, and it is therefore ultimately something that many students are not expected to pursue to a high level. However, like with other school subjects, it is important to embed the base skills at a young age while the brain has the right neuroplasticity.

Despite in many ways being similar to art or music, in that it has a practical skill-based element in actually manifesting it, it is typical for casting to be taught within science labs for two main reasons - for the first, it is generally understood to be an extension of the field of quantum mechanics, manipulating quantum probabilities to create effects that would not naturally occur on their own. For the second, it can be mildly hazardous, and is best practiced in a room designed to be somewhat fireproof. That said, in practice a novice caster probably can't generate enough energy to do serious damage (in the same way as you wouldn't trust younger students with the nastier chemicals in a science lesson) and for riskier practice suppression cages can be used - these arcane technomagical devices can mitigate a certain level of magic surge.

Some may then take their casting to higher levels, studying it at levels beyond minor glamours and manipulations, but at the base level magic ultimately forms just part of a broad curriculum alongside subjects such as maths and history that would seem familiar to any student.

Gallery Link

~~~~~

Basic Underwear

This isn't strictly IH Kang's H&C Basic Underwear set, but it is based on it. The original set is one I've come back to a lot; I have a number of teen characters in my cast - and despite a lot of underwear sets on the store, very few of them are appropriate when you need to dress a younger age group.

As such, I've used this set enough that it was worth using as a base to build my own version of. I started by retopologising the mesh, creating a new geometry that replaced the original. This adds dForce compatibility, cleans up the original poly flow, draws in new surface boundaries and also provides (optional) scalloped edging to allow more variation. The new surface zones made it easier to add in new texture details to the front; the closest reference I could find on clothing stores had the front made out of three pieces rather than one, so I updated the stitching, bump maps and displacement to more closely follow that design.

While it's only so often that I actually need these assets for more than just dressing character presets, it's still a welcome update.

This was a fairly quick test after I'd updated the model, featuring Molly and Kristin.

[Image removed by Moderator]

~~~~~

Tangwen

It's not entirely clear whether Emma, already more than a millennia into her now immortal lifespan, deliberately misinterpreted the order to "take out the dragon", or whether she just thought it was funny.

Either way, she ended up dating Tangwen for a few decades around the start of the Renaissance.

Gallery Link

Post edited by DAZ_ann0314 on
    edited October 2023

A couple of renders with Lyoness's new Druid Charms bundle.

First up, a pretty straight version of it:

Gallery Link

And second, some experimentation with material tweaks and some of the other texture options to get some swimwear out of it as well:

Gallery Link

Post edited by Matt_Castle on

Okay, the last two renders with Lyoness's new Druid Charms bundle were far too sensible, let's see if I can fit it on a centaur:

Gallery Link

Nice renders! heart I like your interpretation of magical abilities and training. It makes more sense - IMO anyway - that in a reality where magic is a thing, everyone has some ability and some are more talented than average, than the "you either got it or you don't" approach in most modern fiction.

• LyonessLyoness Posts: 1,610

I think these turned out GREAT!!

WinterMoon said:

It makes more sense - IMO anyway - that in a reality where magic is a thing, everyone has some ability and some are more talented than average, than the "you either got it or you don't" approach in most modern fiction.

Well, there's a bit of both in the Veil universe.

Your potential to manipulate magic is somewhat genetic, with a spectrum of different potentials. Now, this is by no means the be-all-and-end-all of your power, as there are techniques that are more efficient at channelling large amounts of energy, but these are generally increasingly hard to learn, and you sort of have to step up to them - difficult if your potential makes learning the simpler techniques hard in the first place.

This genetic element is important, as Veil started to conceal itself from Mundus some time around 1500, driven by the rise of witchhunts around the start of the Renaissance - the exact date is very vague, as it was a progression that happened to different degrees at different times in different places. But what this did is it removed a lot of stronger witches and their genetics from the general gene-pool, and thus dramatically reduced the potential of most humans.

In practice, these days, very few witches with enough potential that they can manifest their powers innately (that is, without specific tuition and training) are born outside Veil, and are generally scooped up when they do manifest. This is not to say that the rest have *no* potential, but they're unlikely to be able to do much more than learn how to see beyond glamours.

And yes, there's also variation in how easy different Veil-born creatures find it... but, in general, the rule of thumb is that in Mundus people have no practical potential, and within Veil most have practical potential. It's not to say it's entirely binary, and even for those who know of their potential, whether they choose to nuture it is another matter.

Lyoness said:

I think these turned out GREAT!!

I aim to grossly misuse products.

I did this a couple of weeks back - someone on the Daz3D Slackers Discord said that it was "Kinda late for a nap but I’m half zombie", which inspired a mental picture of my ghoul character passed out on the couch.

Gallery Link

Are you a marketing person for a swimwear company? Are you not selling enough bikinis in the winter?

Why not pay some young woman to freeze her tits off in the snow in your product?

Gallery Link

Rendered for the "Daz3D Slackers" Discord's weekly challenge, on the prompt of "Say What?".

I decided I hadn't done any of my trademark excessively complicated dForce in a while, so I decided it was time to have fun with the genre of mythological creatures having mundane problems they should never have had in the first place.

Gallery Link

Continuing my habit of putting clothes on horses that weren't supposed to be on horses, Ruris's new Classic Space Suit for G9, except now on a G8 centaur:

Gallery Link

• richardandtracyrichardandtracy Posts: 5,067
    edited December 2023
    That is utterly bonkers and brilliant at the same time. Now, if there are spacefaring centaurs, wouldn't the tail also be inside the spacesuit? It might be an idea to model a tail pouch (codpiece?) with a couple of materials you could match to the rest of the clothing - have it as a separate model to use with other clothing sets too... Regards, Richard.
    Post edited by richardandtracy on

richardandtracy said:

Now, if there are spacefaring centaurs, wouldn't the tail also be inside the spacesuit?

It'd be something I'd do if I were thinking of this as a serious setting in its own right, but these are generally justified as the centaur characters within my normal setting engaging in some in-universe cosplay. That said, we did have a more realistic suit in a previous render.

~~~~~

And while I'm here, suppose I should share this abomination while it's still vaguely timely.

I'm generally known as "the centaur guy" on the Daz3D Slackers Discord server, and have had several people suggest "Santaur" as a theme recently... so when "Santa's Second Job" got picked for the weekly theme prompt, it was fairly obvious I had to do this:

Gallery Link

• Deeply disturbing... And ridiculously fun. Regards, Richard.

Late to the party, as I actually received this early for testing purposes, but I figured I actually had to do something vaguely complete with Lyoness's "Brandy's Holiday Elf Costume" Christmas freebie; Due to shenanigans on Discord the set was named in reference to my character Whisky (and would have outright been called "Whisky's Holiday Elf Costume" if I hadn't suggested that "Brandy" is a bit more traditionally Christmassy).

Anyway, Whisky can indeed be seen sporting it here. Also Jade, because apparently I have a reputation for putting clothes on centaurs.

Gallery Link

Continuing on the theme of putting silly clothes on centaurs, this time we have the Highlands Gown for G9. I got it in my head that it would be funny to do a centaur dress as if it were an extremely long bustle, and no-one's yet taken away my Blender licence, so that's what happened.

Gallery Link

Also, because I've done far too much centaur stuff lately, some succubus instead:

Gallery Link

edited February 1

In going over SloshWerks's catalogue yesterday following the sad news about his passing, I realised I had his L'Envie for Genesis 3 Females set, but never really used it.

And well, I've got a whole series that started as putting lingerie sets I've forgotten to use on one of my centaurs, so there was only one proper thing to do:

Gallery Link

edited February 3

A disagreement about the shower drain during Jenny and Rina's shared living arrangements at university.

Gallery Link

The biggest challenge here was finding a suitable prop to be the drain hairball - eventually, it's a heavily morphed tumbleweed prop from a Wild West set that I think was a Daz+ Freebie back in 2019 or so.

• carrie58carrie58 Posts: 3,951

Matt_Castle said:

A disagreement about the shower drain during Jenny and Rina's shared living arrangements at university.

Gallery Link

The biggest challenge here was finding a suitable prop to be the drain hairball - eventurally, it's a heavily morphed tumbleweed prop from a Wild West set that I think was a Daz+ Freebie back in 2019 or so.

HAHAHAHAHA  love it !!

A lot of centaur art these days is combined with the theme of magical transformation.

Now, that's not canon to my universe's lore. All centaurs in Veil are born, live and die as centaurs; however much one might want to (or not want to) be a centaur, there's nothing anyone can do about it. (Similar transformations are only a thing in my setting for mythology specifically revolving about being passed on by infection, such as werewolves, vampires or ghouls).

That didn't mean it didn't sound like an interesting technical challenge to do in Daz Studio though, and there is one reasonable canonical explanation for such a thing happening...

Full Size

... awkward dreams about improbable things happening at school.

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,169

Late-onset centaurism?