Accessing DS content- Poser runtime, Content or something else?

I think I am beginning to understand the DAZ file system but have a few questions.

Much of my DS content is stored in "My Daz Connect Library" folder. Each product is nested under unique folder numbers, e.g. 1_49087. When I add "My Daz Connect Library" folder to the Carrara content tab I get about 100 folders, each with their unique number, making it extremely difficult to find specific items. I deleted the library because I don't know how to search for content in Carrara. I now find the product file using the computer search engine and dig through folders to find if it is a "Poser runtime" or" Content" folder. I have assumed .pz2 files suggest "Poser Runtime" and .duf files are "Content". I then import the 1_xxxxx folder under the  Carrara "Conten tab". When I select the "Content" option (when loading the file) the entire window goes white except the OK button.

• Is the White-out a known bug?

• Is there a better way of accessing DS content?

I have a file that only loads the folder lables without any content. This file contains files that are not present in those that loaded successfuly. They are .tga, .dsb and .daz. 

• Will Carrara recognize .tga, .dsb and .daz? Should they be loaded into another tab such "Objects", "Shaders" or both? 

Comments

• barrieMbarrieM Posts: 292

Two more Questions.

• Is there a way to rename the folders in the Content tab?

• Some DS content have render options. Is iRay compatible with Carrara? 

• connect is not compatible with Carrara or that matter Poser

• MarkIsSleepyMarkIsSleepy Posts: 1,496
    edited February 2019

barrieM said:

Much of my DS content is stored in "My Daz Connect Library" folder. Each product is nested under unique folder numbers, e.g. 1_49087. When I add "My Daz Connect Library" folder to the Carrara content tab ...

<snip>

• Is the White-out a known bug?

• Is there a better way of accessing DS content?

I have a file that only loads the folder lables without any content. This file contains files that are not present in those that loaded successfuly. They are .tga, .dsb and .daz. 

• Will Carrara recognize .tga, .dsb and .daz? Should they be loaded into another tab such "Objects", "Shaders" or both? 

DAZ Connect is super convenient, but it was created as a way to fight piracy, so only DAZ Studio can read content downloaded via DAZ Connect; it is encrypted in a way that only DS can use, so anything in the folders under "My DAZ Connect Library" cannot be used in Carrara (for static props you might be able to export them from studio as OBJ's and then import them and set them up from scratch in Carrara, but that could be a real pain for more than 1-2 items). Carrara can only see files that have been downloaded via DAZ's Install Manager or manually.

Basically you want to add the "My Library" folder to your Carrara Content tab, not the "My Daz Connect" folder. There will still be things in there that Carrara cannot read, but I'm not sure off the top of my head which DAZ Studio file types it can/can't read. If most of the content you want use in Carrara was downloaded via DAZ Connect, then you will have to redownload it using DIM or manually first. Some newer items may only be available for Connect (I don't remember how long the wait is before Connect-only items show up as available for download via other methods, but they do eventually - it's several months gap though).

If you have Poser content in a separate Runtime structure somewhere outside your My Library folder then you will want to add that as well. 

barrieM said:

Two more Questions.

• Is there a way to rename the folders in the Content tab?

• Some DS content have render options. Is iRay compatible with Carrara? 

The only way to rename the folders in the Content tab is to rename them on your harddrive, which may break some content.

Iray is not compatible with Carrara; iRay is a physically-based renderer and Carrara's default renderer is not (it is more like 3Delight, DAZ Studio's other included render engine). The render options will not work in Carrara, but you can use the textures for iRay materials in Carrara with a little work.

Post edited by MarkIsSleepy on

That is very interesting. Thank you for the details. Does 3Delight render glass with the necessary reflections, that simulate real glass? I used iray in DS but find Carrara easier to use due to its selective lighting ability. I'm surprised that it is not physically based.

I don't know what I did wrong but V6 loaded OK. The basic V6 rendered OK but when I added the texture, V6 turned black. Thats a pity because I purchased V6 because I couldn't find any decent skin textues for G2 in the store..... Lots for V6. Is there any specific settings I can adjust to get the skin to render as intended ?

• 3drendero3drendero Posts: 2,024
    edited February 2019
    There are Carrara V6 shaders in the store, that renders nicely in Carrara and can be used to learn about shaders. The default shaders should not be black though. https://www.daz3d.com/dp-victoria-6-carrara-shaders
    Post edited by 3drendero on
  • Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 8,334
    barrieM said:

That is very interesting. Thank you for the details. Does 3Delight render glass with the necessary reflections, that simulate real glass? I used iray in DS but find Carrara easier to use due to its selective lighting ability. I'm surprised that it is not physically based.

I don't know what I did wrong but V6 loaded OK. The basic V6 rendered OK but when I added the texture, V6 turned black. Thats a pity because I purchased V6 because I couldn't find any decent skin textues for G2 in the store..... Lots for V6. Is there any specific settings I can adjust to get the skin to render as intended ?

Black skin answered in another thread :- https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/4321471/#Comment_4321471

Skin shaders worth checking out :- https://www.daz3d.com/dp-genesis-2-females-carrara-shaders-collection

https://www.daz3d.com/dp-victoria-6-carrara-shaders

Thank you.Yhe default shaders do not go black.  I will look at the shaders in the store. Thanks for the link.

Thanks Bunyip. I will also check yor links. 

edited February 2019

DAZ Studio & Poser files for your info. Carrara reads dsf and duf, if you want to use a ds, dsa, dsb, daz file you will need to convert it to a duf in DAZ Studio.

DAZStudio Poser files.png
    3822 x 1040 - 404K
    Post edited by Bunyip02 on
    barrieM said:

Thank you.Yhe default shaders do not go black.  I will look at the shaders in the store. Thanks for the link.

If you post a screen-shot of the skin shaders you are having trouble with that might help us to find the problem as well.

V6 with makeup texture

V6 with makeup texture.jpeg
    392 x 509 - 30K
    edited February 2019

What's the name of the product used just in case I may have it ?

After a screenshot of the face shader, refer pics

Carrara face shader.png
    2748 x 1034 - 805K
    Carrara face shader 2.png
    2730 x 1040 - 543K

The product is Victoria 6

V6 test.jpeg
    924 x 897 - 239K

Why would some face textures be black?

V6 textures.jpeg
    1132 x 851 - 234K
    edited February 2019

No texture file !!!!

If you look at the Color slot there is no texture file.

Loaded Vicky 6 makeup to replicate your problem, no textures in Nostrils, Lips, Face

Note the file location so you can get the texture file

1. Change the Color slot to Texture Map

2. Click on the folder than locate the texture folder

3. Click on the texture required. You can also do the same for the bump texture slot/map.

You will have to do that for the Nostril, Lips, and Face shaders

Carrara face Vicky 1 problem.png
    924 x 897 - 719K
    Carrara face Vicky 2 problem.png
    3192 x 1040 - 629K
    Carrara face Vicky 3 problem.png
    997 x 994 - 521K
    Carrara face Vicky 4 problem.png
    3178 x 1042 - 928K
    edited February 2019
    barrieM said:

Why would some face textures be black?

Carrara face Vicky 5 problem.png
    2009 x 795 - 157K

Now it's time for breakfast !!!

Many Thanks. If I understand correctly, The black faces are legit and the black face and body needs texture files. I will see if I can find them. Are they much different to the default textures?

Breakfast!! You must be in California. I am in the UK and pretty tired of V6, I will let you know how I get on tomorrow.

Thans for your time and thanks for your help. Much appreciated

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    barrieM said:

Breakfast!! You must be in California. I am in the UK and pretty tired of V6, I will let you know how I get on tomorrow.

California is only 8 hours different  and they are behind us,  I think more likely they are in Australia or NZ to be 12 hours different.

Chohole said:
    barrieM said:

California is only 8 hours different  and they are behind us,  I think more likely they are in Australia or NZ to be 12 hours different.

Ausi, Ausi, Ausi , Oi, Oi, Oi !!!!

barrieM said:

Many Thanks. If I understand correctly, The black faces are legit and the black face and body needs texture files. I will see if I can find them. Are they much different to the default textures?

The black texture files I pointed out are Bump & Spec which act in combination with the skin files.

Crikey OZ.. Well done Chohole. I should have known better since I used to live in NZ. I thought Californians played all night and got up late.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604

I meet up with a Californian friend when I come on duty in the morning   I arrive about 9:30am  and she is still working away in the early hours  1:3.0am for her.   Bunyip02 Carrara  will be speaking to us from tomorrow

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311

BarrieM

You should be able to save a DazStudio scene file with your textured figure,. save it to your DS library, then open that in carrrara,. ( it should import with the correct texture maps ) although some settings will need some minor adjustments,.. but, that should get you around the initial black shader issue,.

Once you have a figure with the corrrect textures,. then you can adjust the shader settings in carrrara,. once you're happy, you can save the "Global shader" to your Carrara library (make a folder for your own stuff)

your user files are in (MyDocuments/Daz3D/Carrara/Presets)

since most 3D softwares have different shader engine, shader functions, and render engine, so adjusting the shader settings to suit each program / renderer,. is something which seems like a hassle, until you realise that you're learning how to build shaders and what al the different shader channels and functions do.

Carrara should also come with a set of "Hi res" textures and Carrara shaders for V4/M4 ,. these are handy as an example of the settings for carrara shaders.

Hope it helps :)

Thank you 3DAGE I was about to start the manual process. Using DS should be faster and yes, it will be useful shader experience. To save the global shader, do I drag the multicoloured ball into the shader browser? The global shader (default) is grey. 

edited February 2019

Dart has done a very nice basic Genesis setup, you should read it if you have not already https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/307266/setting-up-basic-materials-for-genesis-figures#latest

If you are using DAZ Studio to obtain a material.duf note that it will generate the texture file for the color slot but leave out the bump and spec files. You can add them if you wish.

Is good practice to learn what goes where, lots to learn with shaders !!!

Drag and drop.png
    3840 x 1080 - 623K

Morning Bunyip, I have been doing test renders all day and for me, they are fantastic, I did notice that there were no bumps and lo and behold you posted the cause and the cure. It is true that pics are worth a thousand words. Thank you. I think the bottom pic shows how to save the skin shader,,,, thanks for that also.

barrieM said:

Morning Bunyip, I have been doing test renders all day and for me, they are fantastic, I did notice that there were no bumps and lo and behold you posted the cause and the cure. It is true that pics are worth a thousand words. Thank you. I think the bottom pic shows how to save the skin shader,,,, thanks for that also.

You're welcome !!!

Do you want to see my render when it's finished? Silly question, who would say no to that. I'll re-phrase: Will you give me some constructive critism when ! finish it?