Accessing DS content- Poser runtime, Content or something else?

2»

Comments

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 8,334

Two spots for renders in the Carrara forums:-

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/137451/post-your-renders-introduce-the-world-to-carrara#latest

Non-Photo Realistic :- https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/158646/carrara-non-photo-realistic-works#latest

Always happy to give constructive criticism, hopefully the others will as well. Bearing in mind that it's a learning curve and I'm still learning myself !!

• barrieMbarrieM Posts: 292

Ref the missing Highlight and bump maps. If I load the colored face texture which options (color and Alpha or Alpha) do I use? 

Just noticed there is a face bump file and two highlight files all monochrome. Sorry for the previous silly question.

edited February 2019

Again would recommend the skinshaders :- https://www.daz3d.com/dp-victoria-6-carrara-shaders

That would allow you to explore how the shaders are set up as well.

In the meantime some settings for you to explore (there are other variations as well) :-

Highlight

1. In the Highlight channel need to set up as Multiply.

2. Click on channel and slide down to Operators

3. At Operators click on Multiply

4. Choose Texture Map in the Source 1 channel

5. Click on folder to find file

6. You are looking for a monochrome image with"S" on the end of the name

7. Adjust slider

8. Click on Source 2 channel and get the Value (0-100%)

9. Adjust slider

1 to 3 Repeat steps 1 to 3 to set up Shininess

10. In Source 1 channel click on Texture Map

11. Click on folder to find file

12. Looking for the texture file with "S" on the end of the name again

13. Adjust slider

14. In Source 2 Channel click on Value (0-100%)

15. Adjust slider (NOTE - this will require a few test renders to get the value looking right to you, there are various values used by different people)

Bump

1. In Bump channel click on Texture Map

2. Click on folder to finf the file

3. You are looking for a name ending in "B" or "Bu"

4. Adjust slider (Some people use 50%)

AGAIN - there are different variations of above, just something to get you started !!!

Highlight 1.png
    905 x 708 - 118K
    Highlight 2.png
    720 x 455 - 93K
    Highlight 3.png
    753 x 447 - 67K
    Highlight 4.png
    777 x 477 - 98K
    Highlight 5.png
    779 x 443 - 66K
    Bump 1.png
    718 x 437 - 91K
    Post edited by Bunyip02 on

Crikey and Wow!!! Never thought of all those tweeks. Thanks a lot. 

WoW again! Played with your settings with fantastic results. The eyes are a bit dead so I'll work on them in a similar way. 

The eyes have a "...eyesdis2.jpg" that I used in the highlight texture. Just noticed a displacement tab. Presumably they go there.

I have very good results with V6 skin but problems with the eyes. I fiddled around but think I completely screwed them up. Before I start from scratch will someone please clarify the following.

V6 product info says G2 essentials is required. Does this mean I have to start with G2 base female before applying the V6 Character? 

Or do I simply drop V6 into an empty scene?

Sorry, that was probably another silly question. I didn't know why G2 starter essentials was neccessary.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604

Yes,   you have to remember
    for V5 or M5 (in fact any 5 character) you need Genesis Starter Essentials
    for 6  you need Genesis 2 Starter Essentials Male and female
    for 7  you need Genesi 3   Ditto                       Ditto
    for 8  you need Gensis 8   Ditto                       Ditto

The Starter essentials contain the base figures as well as all sorts of other stuff.

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125

Not a silly question (few questions are).

The genesis 2 generation of Daz figures purposefully made uvmaps incompatible.  What I mean by that is that the uvmaps among genesis 2 characters are tailored to the specific morphed shape.  Thus, the uvmap for genesis 2's "Victoria 6" character does not exactly match the uvmap for genesis 2's "The Girl 6" character.  On the one hand, that means that there is less distortion caused by "The Girl 6"'s extreme proportions.  On the other hand, that means you have to keep track of which figure you have loaded when applying genesis 2 texture sets such as Victoria 6, Aiko 6, the Girl 6 etc.  

So, unfortunately, yes, when using genesis 2 characters (the "6" series), pay attention to how you have loaded the figure.  If the texture maps appear all wrong, it my be that the UVMap has been tailored to another shape.

In general, other generations are easier and a texture set will apply to all characters for that base generation.

Thank you. So you don't need G2 Base figures in the scene, just in the content library.

By the way does Bryce work on a Mac OS 10.13.6 ?

Thank you Diomede. That must be why I had so much trouble with the eyes. I set up V6 in DS but I tried a few eyes from other characters before I saved it and opened it in Carrara. With a lot of help from Bunyip I fixed the skin problem but couldn't fix the eye problem. I have now opened a virgin V6 that was created in DS and as expected, lots of texture maps are missing. No problem, I know know how to fix it and the eyes look OK.

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,323

Have you tried looking at Setting up Basic Materials for Genesis Figures?

I'd also recommend reading:

Daz Install Manager - Installing Custom Poser Runtimes
    Basic walkthrough of designing your own custom runtime structure

Your Carrara Browser
    Making great stuff isn't as cool if you can't remember where you put it. Let's get some good habits going right from the start

No but I will. They look as if they were made for me. Thankyou

barrieM said:

Thank you. So you don't need G2 Base figures in the scene, just in the content library.

Right. And here's a really cool thing about that:

Genesis 2 Female base figure uses UV mapping of Victoria 5. This means that, by loading the Genesis 2 Female base figure into Carrara, we may use any character texture packs we may have bought for Victoria 5. Then, after Genesis 2 Base Female is loaded, and we have that V5 mapping, we can then change her shape to anything we want. 

Ahaa! That's interesting. So with V6 I canuse any materials designed for V5. By the way I just glanced at your "Setting up basic materials" and I had read some of it. I am a bit forgetful so thanks for reminding me so I bookmarked it in my art folder. I must say it is extremely informative and so useful. If you ever get it into a .pdf book format, I for one would buy it along with your other Educational postings. You put a lot of time and energy into them. Thankyou.

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125

@Dartanbeck is most awesome.  Check out his Carrara Information Manual which is among the threads stickied at the top of the Carrara forum page.  Gathers, organizes, and links to extremely helpful information by topic.  Worth referring to often.

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/15970/carrara-information-manual/p1

Thanks for Dartenbecks link to his manual. He is indeed awesome. I bookmarked it.  

I just completed repairing all the V6 skin problems including the eyes. It renders well but I don't think the bump map is working. Are there any tweeks I could try? Is it worth tring the texture as a displacement?

<Blushes>

barrieM said:

Thanks for Dartenbecks link to his manual. He is indeed awesome. I bookmarked it.  

I just completed repairing all the V6 skin problems including the eyes. It renders well but I don't think the bump map is working. Are there any tweeks I could try? Is it worth tring the texture as a displacement?

I'm actually working on putting together a website dedicated to Carrara, Howler, and VFX (visual effects). Computer woes are holding me back right now... but I'll get there.

It'll have workflow relationships with other software as well. Should be pretty fun!

barrieM said:

A couple of links on Bump and Normal maps

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/144721/bump-and-normal-map-comparison-examples-in-carrara/p1

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/51564/carrara-and-normal-maps

barrieM said:

Ahaa! That's interesting. So with V6 I can use any materials designed for V5.

Yes, but not directly. You'd need to load the Basic Genesis 2 Female first, then dial up the V6 shapes you want. The V5 maps fit Genesis 2 Female Base Female, but V6 has different UVs. It's easy (and fun) though... just like I said: start by loading in the Genesis 2 Female Base, then dial up any shapes for that figure you might have, and you'll be able to use any V5 map collection you might have.

TIP: I use this as a shopping tool too. If I see really nice texture sets available for V5, but I'm using Genesis 2 Female, I know I can still get it and use it on my favorite figure!

Just like I mention in the article, Genesis 1 provides access to many UV options - those made for Genesis as well as Generation 4. We just need to load in the correct Character preset to gain the appropriate UV mapping on the Genesis figure, then dial any shapes we want!

barrieM said:

Which bump maps aren't working? Are they "Bump" maps or "Normal" maps?

For Human skin, try these settings:

Bump Map - (Grayscale map) set the Bump intensity level somewhere between 3 and 20, then adjust to taste after seeing the renders

Normal Map - (Bluish map with portions of other hues) set the channel to "Normal Map" instead of "Texture Map", then set the Bump intensity to at least 100, but you might like it better closer to 250 or so. The slider goes to 250 but can go up to 500 by typing in a value. For skin, however, I doubt you'd need higher than 250

NOTE: for highly detailed bump, like skin, you'll get much better results in the end by going to the Render Room and making sure that Object is set to 1 or 0.5   0.5 being better quality, 1 being a bit faster. I often render at Object = 2, but then bump setting don't make their intended impact on the render. So when I do closer up renders, I make sure to change this to 0.5 or 1 for the final render, after I get everything else set up the way I want it.