WIP, but forgot how to...

124»

Comments

• ViallyVially Posts: 343

So a little more progress made.

I really wish I could figure out the UV tool, the breakage in the UV's is driving me nuts. Other than that, I am pretty happy with the way this is turning out.

Rear Axle and Frame.png
    1280 x 791 - 674K
    edited July 2019

Front Axle 1/2 finished, just need to mirror and weld. Not 100% what I was hoping for, but it will do. (I wanted to do more design in it, decided on a planer look, it is after all... an Axle :)

Edit to add 2nd image... All done, wheel and steering next laugh

Mercedes O3500 Omnibus - Front Axle.png
    1380 x 864 - 404K
    Mercedes O3500 Omnibus - Front Axle 02.png
    1380 x 864 - 201K
    Post edited by Vially on

Do Cylinders cap off properly for texture, or do I need to figure out how to do it with squares?

So this is the steering spindle, attaches to the Front axle at the "Y". Basically it is what the wheel attaches to, there are a few other internal parts, but i'm not going to bother with those as they would be completely hidden anyway.

So I took it into Studio for test render, and it looks good, nothing out of sortss... well except...

Why do I have a seam running down the center of the main cylander "shaft"?

Steering Spindle.png
    687 x 649 - 395K
  • Vially said:

Why do I have a seam running down the center of the main cylander "shaft"?

What does the mesh look like? What were the steps used in texturing the model?

edited August 2019

Mesh currently looks like the attached, the seam appears to follow an edge,

texture process was to pull it into Studio, add the iRay Uber presets, then add a basic iRay metal material... nothing fancy, just wanted to see how it looks.

The seam shows up no matter which angle I change the camera to or/and/if I change the geometry of the iRay texture (tiling)

Spindle Mesh.png
    1380 x 864 - 129K
    Post edited by Vially on
  • ShawnDriscollShawnDriscoll Posts: 375
    edited August 2019

I see n-gons in the mesh. Fix those and use the close tool to find any cracks in your model. And remove creases where you don't need them.

Post edited by ShawnDriscoll on

So the n-gons? Top of the cylinder is the only place I really see any, well the nuts and bolts, but same concept. it is the planes created by the "close" feature/tool? you see them elsewhere?

• AscaniaAscania Posts: 1,839
    Vially said:

So the n-gons? Top of the cylinder is the only place I really see any, well the nuts and bolts, but same concept. it is the planes created by the "close" feature/tool? you see them elsewhere?

Make the program select them to highlight them. It has that function.

Doesn't look like I've done much, but I completely redid the main base structure.

It still has UV issues, but atleast it's not changing direction of the grain in the middle of a plane.

Full Subframe.png
    1280 x 791 - 725K
  • I looked on the net (Gary Miller of  "geek at play" has done some excellent ones) but could not find any where they unfold an object. I did do a step-by-step picture frame a while back which may help you.

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/44577/ 

Thanks John, have it bookmarked and will review in the morning... late here and I just realized i forgot my phone (alarm clock) at work... need to sleep so I wake up in time... 8-O

So stopped working on the bus for a while, cause my brain started hurting too much wink But recently took a relook and started the engine assembly.  I know it has taken me forever, but here is where I am at at the end of the weekend. I can see some issues, and keep in mind that the valve cover isn't there yet... But this is the main block, oil pan and manifold, so far :)

Engine Block progress.png
    1037 x 641 - 721K

Was seriously not happy with the manifold, so redid it, this version looks a lot better I think.

But a question comes out of the render... what the heck happened to the oil pan? it has been locked/frozen since I finished it, but obviously something changed. Why, how can it be changed if locked and I didn't work on it.

Manifold Redo.png
    1280 x 791 - 949K
  • JonnyRayJonnyRay Posts: 1,744
    Vially said:

Was seriously not happy with the manifold, so redid it, this version looks a lot better I think.

But a question comes out of the render... what the heck happened to the oil pan? it has been locked/frozen since I finished it, but obviously something changed. Why, how can it be changed if locked and I didn't work on it.

Two possibilities come to mind.

1. You have some flipped normals on that part of the mesh which were resolved the first time you exported it, but flipped back after the second export.
    2. There is some other part of the mesh which is intersecting right there and so Studio is choosing which surface to show. I've seen this before when I had a base for part of the model, then wrapped it with something else and the two parts of the mesh ended up in exactly the same place. When 2 surfaces coincide, Studio seems to pick one to be the "primary" and will overwrite the data from the "secondary" surfaces.
    JonnyRay said:
    Vially said:

Two possibilities come to mind.

1. You have some flipped normals on that part of the mesh which were resolved the first time you exported it, but flipped back after the second export.
    2. There is some other part of the mesh which is intersecting right there and so Studio is choosing which surface to show. I've seen this before when I had a base for part of the model, then wrapped it with something else and the two parts of the mesh ended up in exactly the same place. When 2 surfaces coincide, Studio seems to pick one to be the "primary" and will overwrite the data from the "secondary" surfaces.

And so again I redid the engine block, due to the issue showing promenently in the oil pan... The issue is still there, it is actually caused by the UV mapping, that light gray area in the oil pan is where, for whatever reason, Hex has decided that the mapping will go in a different direction. Not so noticable with a strictly procedural texture, but if it has ANY sort of map to it, that is what I get.

The new Engine Block, has the same issue, but it steps up or pyramids through the main flat area. the ends of the block are stretched... I don't know, it's UV Mapping, all my attempts in that so far have been disasterous, so I think I will just ignore it for now and move on.

Block UV.png
    1280 x 791 - 2M
  • If you send the Engine Block to me via PM I'll try and fix if for you.

Would be greatly appreciated John, UV mapping gives me more of a headache than Hex Modeling wink

• Here's how I would approach this one, it does not look like your object has a base, if it has just select the botton edges and press the + button to add them to the selection. I've included one of my texture checkers to help you scale things :)

Click on pics below to see them full screen.

UNFOLD BLOCK01.jpg
    1920 x 1042 - 311K
    UNFOLD BLOCK02.jpg
    1920 x 1042 - 299K
    UNFOLD BLOCK03.jpg
    1920 x 1042 - 406K
    UNFOLD Ref.png
    1024 x 1024 - 16K

Hi John,

Thank you very much! These instructions actually show me something that I "knew" I was missing, but just wasn't smart enough to put 2&2 together... the seams. I knew I was supposed to have them, but just thought Hex was picking what it wanted to use...

Question though, what are we doing on the pins and edges image, I see where you are adding the pins. but are these axis points to rotate the form? Haven't played with it yet, so maybe it becomes crystal clear when doing it, but from the image I select them, but have no idea what to do with them  blush

I GOT IT! I GOT IT!

Oh man... so much easier when all the pieces to the puzzle are there, was missing seams, but I GOT IT!!!

Thank you thank you thank you!

Wood Block.png
    1280 x 791 - 1M
  • Wee Dangerous JohnWee Dangerous John Posts: 1,605
    edited February 2020

Glad you got it to work :)

The idea behind the pins is to place them one in from the outer edges (as you can see, I placed one in on the bottom and roughtly the same distance on the top), so when you press the Unfold button, Hex rotates it again using the X,Y,Z & the U,V.  When unfolding an object it's a good idea to (save first ) try the X then the U pinning axis, change to V and see what happens. Then repeat with the Y&Z and see which combination gives you the best result (which one has the least stretching).

Post edited by Wee Dangerous John on

Yes, I have gotten to the point where save is what I do after every "successful" attempt to do something.

Tesselate a line, apply, save, next line, apply, save, next line... tedious, but having HEX close at random points, just because, and realizing you haven't saved in a while is... well, stars and asterics and lots of exclamation points.

I am going to have to go back now to the actual frame of the bus, (not to mention the seat i did way back where) and apply this new found knowledge to see how things turn out.

• MaxHancockMaxHancock Posts: 226

Here's how I would approach this one, it does not look like your object has a base, if it has just select the botton edges and press the + button to add them to the selection. I've included one of my texture checkers to help you scale things :)

Click on pics below to see them full screen.

Great texture, John! That will be very helpful. Making UV pins and choosing the right coordinates is always tricky for me, but once done, it's great for straightening out all the surfaces. It took me a long time to learn how to do it right. 

• Nice to see you back Max smiley

UVmapping is the hardest part of modelling I think, it gets easier once it starts to makes sense (tool me a while before it clicked - still have problems nw and then wink)

• RoygeeRoygee Posts: 2,247

For a serious modeller, UV mapping must be Hex's weakest point.  I've been using Blender for quite a while now and UV mapping is just so simple and quick.  While still using Hex, I used UU3D for mapping - really agood investment - shaved days off my work.