edited December 2020

Tried it again.

Berlin Nights early 80s.jpg
    755 x 994 - 398K
    Post edited by Masterstroke on
  • Rev2019Rev2019 Posts: 167

emotionaldreams2 said:

great lighting and contrast!

atleast someone is using photometric lights ;) 

you can easily see when there are mesh lights used in the renderers

• charlescharles Posts: 777

Masterstroke said:

Tried it again.

Bingo! 

• Masterstroke said:

Tried it again.

Great work. Much more convincing.

edited December 2020

benniewoodell said:

Fooled a number of my friends with this. 

I wanted to come back to this picture after reading some other threads in regard to how convincing it is and get others opinions. Is it that we are only seeing one side of the face and the lack of symetry refence helps with it's realism?

Post edited by charles on
  • To my untrained amateur's eye, two strengths of berniewoodell's render would appear to be:

- the lens focus is on the subject's cheeks. The nose and ears are out of focus. Even the pupils themselves are slightly blurred. Not only does this depth of focus add a level of realism, but the blurring helps obscure any uncanny valley details that the original CG model might potentially have.

- the skin pore maps themselves are excellent.

What model and skin is this anyway?

• Question for people who might have expiramented with this (@jcade ?): what's the best way to handle heavier make-up, like contouring or goth make-up? I feel I've gotten very good results with my latina character, but my red-haired celtic character never looks as real. Throw on make-up more obvious than lipstick and eyeliner, and it all goes south. 

• notiuswebnotiusweb Posts: 110

zombiewhacker said:

To my untrained amateur's eye, two strengths of berniewoodell's render would appear to be:

- the lens focus is on the subject's cheeks. The nose and ears are out of focus. Even the pupils themselves are slightly blurred. Not only does this depth of focus add a level of realism, but the blurring helps obscure any uncanny valley details that the original CG model might potentially have.

- the skin pore maps themselves are excellent.

What model and skin is this anyway?

Agree with everything said here, much of it is in fact the obscuration.  There is some subtle blurring by the eyelashes and also the darkness of the iris hides some of those finer details that would have jumped out as CG. I would say this probably is one of those images that probably would not stand the test of multiple environment/lighting, but the lighting used is awesome.  I think what is revealed in this thread is that a lot of getting photo realism is not the character so much as it is the organization of the character in the scene. 

to the question that was asked about the photo - I think it is the obscuration in the eye area but the sharpness of the pores, against the blurry background.  the one thing actually that took me out of it was the width of the nose, somehow it seems almost too narrow.

If you look at the photo of the two girls that emotionaldreams just posted, the one on the right has that mix of blurriness and then sharpness- her hairline is blurry in the front but then it's sharp in the back...for some reason that looks real to me.

To me the best photo looking images we got here are Jeffsomeone and then 00qis00.  Jeff's actually look like straight photos, where the element of obscuration either makes the photos really work or look a little odd.   The ones by 00qis00 actually look like Iray renders straight up, but they are really approaching photo realism.  Both I think are made real by the fantastic integration with the background, and while the characters look awesome, some of the kinks in the character might start to become noticeable without it.

• DaventakiDaventaki Posts: 1,624
    edited January 2021

ooh sorry. should of said i used a 3dscan for her. girl in flowered dress is my Aa'nylee character  for G8 smiley

@notiusweb This is probably why the girl on the right is more photo real then the left. Im not sure how all that works but she looks more like a photo than the girl on the left.  (Quote from emotionaldreams dont know why it took away the name....pg 46)

Great looking images everyone!  When I check out this thread I am always amazed at the images.

Post edited by Daventaki on
    edited January 2021

its funny

the only renderer that comes close to photoreal are those from blender and its not even a thread for blender but for iray LOL

conclusion from this thread.

use blender if you want photo real skin

Post edited by Rev2019 on
  • TJohnTJohn Posts: 11,055
    edited January 2021

Agree to disagree.

And...if photoreal skin is your goal? Buy a good camera and take a photo.

On a sillier note Rev, your nickname is running 2 years slow. wink

Post edited by TJohn on
    edited January 2021

jeff_someone said:

Latest render... done in Blender, Cycles, Substance Painter, and of course Genesis 8 imported w/custom textures/shaders and some morphs done in Sculpt mode.   Also used Multires via (at Subd level 2) using Diffeo...  

if only Blender and cycles could render hair as good as Iray ;)

these looks great but they fails with the "wig" like hair look 

Post edited by Rev2019 on
    edited January 2021

Rev2019 said:

jeff_someone said:

Latest render... done in Blender, Cycles, Substance Painter, and of course Genesis 8 imported w/custom textures/shaders and some morphs done in Sculpt mode.   Also used Multires via (at Subd level 2) using Diffeo...  

if only Blender and cycles could render hair as good as Iray ;)

these looks great but they fails with the "wig" like hair look 

Really? If you look at JoeSomeones recent image in cycles of the girl with pink hair, which I've been trying to reproduce that effect in Iray on that hair, with not much results.  I would like to know if there was any manipulation in the hair becuase the cycles version looks so much softer, detailed and less flat to me then what I'm getting. I guess I need to break out blender and run my own tests.

• VisuimagVisuimag Posts: 552
    edited January 2021

This one is a little different for me. It is unsettling for a reason. The image is based on a real accident that happened in Russia on May 23, 2019. Around 5:20pm that day, an 8-year-old schoolgirl darted into the street as traffic was coming (my scenario is a little different, because there is no stopped traffic and only the van is coming and there are mainly parked cars. She also came from behind a parked truck on a wider street in the actual story. Still, the idea is nearly like-for-like - clothes, van type/color, girl's hair, etc. I even tried to recreate her hands and posture (she pulled them tight in a cat-like fashion just prior to impact). In the first image, I wanted to emphasize motion while also offering a dash cam perspective.

Further details of the incident: the van driver had mere milliseconds to stop, which proved to be too little. He was going roughly 30-35mph, so not super fast, but enough to cause injury. As a result, the girl was reportedly injured seriously (though she lived and most likely recovered with just scars). The video initially made me sad for her even though I knew she was mainly to blame. Then the artist in me took over, so I began working on my own version of it. This was also partially as an example to my 9-year-old niece, who often does just that — darts towards streets without even looking! It affected me that much, even though I've seen similar videos before and this one was nowhere near the worst.

Regardless, I wanted to share it with you as a photorealistic piece based on a real scenario that pulled hard on my heartstrings. I also obscured the driver as much as possible so that he would remain anonymous (again, for a reason). It could be any driver at any time, the point is the lesson of what is imminent (or could be should kids not take it serious).

23 МАЙ 2019, 17.20.png
    3840 x 2160 - 7M
    ARTWAY 5-23-2019 17.20.21.jpg
    3840 x 2160 - 1M
    ЛЕРА.jpg
    3840 x 2160 - 1M
    Post edited by Visuimag on
  • j cadej cade Posts: 2,310

Rev2019 said:

its funny

the only renderer that comes close to photoreal are those from blender and its not even a thread for blender but for iray LOL

conclusion from this thread.

use blender if you want photo real skin

Rev2019 said:

looks better in Daz 3d with iray

i dont get it why even bother with this loosy program called Blender?

you get cartoonish looking characters.  

leave Blender for the nut jobs that likes to render interiors all day long ;)

Not to be rude, buuuuuuuuut is there a reason you're posting about how much better Cycles in in the DS forums and how much better Iray is in the Blender forums? Other than to stir up drama?

aaráribel caađo said:

Question for people who might have expiramented with this (@jcade ?): what's the best way to handle heavier make-up, like contouring or goth make-up? I feel I've gotten very good results with my latina character, but my red-haired celtic character never looks as real. Throw on make-up more obvious than lipstick and eyeliner, and it all goes south. 

I actually dont really have firm opinions on blush and contouring mainly because either I don't have the face for it or more likely I lack the necesary skills to manage it in real life.

For makeup in general I prefer the diffuse overlay or geoshells because I find with higher transluency levels darker colors darken more relative to lighter colors. So if your texture map is a pale character and you gave some green eyeliner as a flat texture it will look fine, but when you have that texture in both the diffuse and translucency it darkens a bunch relative to the rest of the texture and the translucency effect looks stronger - this could be one thing you are noticing and I haven't found a workaround for this that isnt an absolute pain (theoretically translucency weight maps but you'd probably have to custom edit them and I try to avoid doing too much texture editing)

In general I like diffuse overlay better. I'm a big fan of the makeup that comes with the daz core figures and its real nice that you can basically use any of them on any other character. of course you do run into makeup made for monique might be a bit dark on a pale character, although I can generally make it work (baring in mind I own 5 different shades of green lipsick so my tastes might not be everyones) generally though "overlay weight squared" makes the more transparent areas (like blush) more transparent relative to the more opaque areas and I also  find you can frequently turn down the transparency and the eyeliner will still read as black, but the rest will tone down

also sorry if this one is a bit incoherent

Visuimag said:

This one is a little different for me. It is unsettling for a reason. The image is based on a real accident that happened in Russia on May 23, 2019. Around 5:20pm that day, an 8-year-old schoolgirl darted into the street as traffic was coming (my scenario is a little different, because there is no stopped traffic and only the van is coming and there are mainly parked cars. She also came from behind a parked truck on a wider street in the actual story. Still, the idea is nearly like-for-like - clothes, van type/color, girl's hair, etc. I even tried to recreate her hands and posture (she pulled them tight in a cat-like fashion just prior to impact). In the first image, I wanted to emphasize motion while also offering a dash cam perspective.

Further details of the incident: the van driver had mere milliseconds to stop, which proved to be too little. He was going roughly 30-35mph, so not super fast, but enough to cause injury. As a result, the girl was reportedly injured seriously (though she lived and most likely recovered with just scars). The video initially made me sad for her even though I knew she was mainly to blame. Then the artist in me took over, so I began working on my own version of it. This was also partially as an example to my 9-year-old niece, who often does just that — darts towards streets without even looking! It affected me that much, even though I've seen similar videos before and this one was nowhere near the worst.

Regardless, I wanted to share it with you as a photorealistic piece based on a real scenario that pulled hard on my heartstrings. I also obscured the driver as much as possible so that he would remain anonymous (again, for a reason). It could be any driver at any time, the point is the lesson of what is imminent (or could be should kids not take it serious).

I'm so glad you said she recovered!

charles said:

Visuimag said:

I'm so glad you said she recovered!

Yes! As I understand it, she recovered (though at the time, she was hurt seriously). Judging from the impact, it didn't look critical (again, thanks to the speed not being too high), but it was clearly serious.

edited January 2021

Ugh! Double post...

Post edited by Visuimag on

Umm, while exploring Flickr for a background I came across these guys, holy crap.

Mr Godard. The best of... The best | Flickr

charles said:

Umm, while exploring Flickr for a background I came across these guys, holy crap.

??? they look like videogame screegrabs that have been heavily instagram filtered? Not even super recent videogames

j cade said:

charles said:

??? they look like videogame screegrabs that have been heavily instagram filtered? Not even super recent videogames

That link is to one guys favs of another guys. I thiink they are french. Anyway if you explore the albums it looks like a mixed bag of daz and second life. He doesn't claim at trying to be photorealistic and doesn't seem to try with the characters that much, but whatever techniques he using (and there is a lot of differnt ones going on and probably lots of post work) it does have a lot of that old photo quality about it.

Whee! not dramatic lighting, but as ralistic as I've yet managed, I really like the studio hdris from hdri haven this one is studio 5.

Also I've gone down a rabbithole. Technically I'm now using my own custom skin shader - I got annoyed coppying the bump it displacement and the base color to translucency and glossy color (for backscattering) so I have connected them up with nodes. I also added a node so I can tweak the color of the translucency to lighten it it has some annoyances but its faster than manually switching maps around

(I also did do renders with dramatic lighting, obviously)

I think it looks more cg though

edited January 2021

j cade said:

Whee! not dramatic lighting, but as ralistic as I've yet managed, I really like the studio hdris from hdri haven this one is studio 5.

Also I've gone down a rabbithole. Technically I'm now using my own custom skin shader - I got annoyed coppying the bump it displacement and the base color to translucency and glossy color (for backscattering) so I have connected them up with nodes. I also added a node so I can tweak the color of the translucency to lighten it it has some annoyances but its faster than manually switching maps around

Maybe try that bottom one with a different top?

• lilweeplilweep Posts: 2,273

charles said:

As above, these are not good by any metric other than PS3 graphics standards...

• lilweeplilweep Posts: 2,273

j cade said:

They look very good.  This is how all those supermodel characters that Daz vendors constantly churn out should look.   

• Leonides02Leonides02 Posts: 1,379
    edited January 2021

j cade said:

These look wonderful. Although I'm a bit confused. I didn't even know Iray had nodes? You mean like Cycles does?

Are you otherwise using isidorekeeghan's suggested settings for Chromatic SSS? If not, would you mind sharing your skin shader?

Post edited by Leonides02 on
    edited January 2021

j cade said:

These look wonderful. Although I'm a bit confused. I didn't even know Iray had nodes? You mean like Cycles does?

Are you otherwise using isidorekeeghan's suggested settings for Chromatic SSS? If not, would you mind sharing your skin shader?

DS has nodes, they're a just way less friendly and fun to use. I just took my normal skin settings (including isadorekeegan style sss) opened up the *shader mixer tab*, loaded it in and then added the ds equivalent of some mix color nodes.

It's somewhat hacky and has some definite drawbacks (despite being almost identical to the default shader, trying to apply any shader or material presets will revert it back) I'm just finding those drawbacks worth it rather than have to move the maps around the way I do normally. But functionally it doesn't really have any features the default shader lacks
    Post edited by j cade on
    lilweep said:

j cade said:

They look very good.  This is how all those supermodel characters that Daz vendors constantly churn out should look.   

Well the top two are literally just twosret's textures on millawa's morph. So they kind of are. Normally I do massively tweak figure morphs, but I really like millawa
  • MasterstrokeMasterstroke Posts: 1,868
    edited January 2021

Straight DAZ Studio IRAY render without using canvases.
    No post work here, except cropping and adding the white frame.

Home Office.jpg
    1479 x 1088 - 1M
    Post edited by Chohole on