Carrara NPR Render - Clean Line Drawings

2»

Comments

• Steve KSteve K Posts: 3,226
    Steve K said:
    Steve K said:

Still... it's refreshing to me to hear that you own LW 2018 and still prefer Carrara. I love that!

Many thanks for the kind comments.  I should mention that my preference for Carrara is undoubtedly based to a large degree on familiarity.  For most tasks, I've done it many times and don't have to think about how to do it in Carrara.  Leaving more time for how to make a scene better.  I mentioned here somewhere that I'm trying to move into a new video editor because of some other plugins I won, and also because the new version of Particle Illusion requires a high end video editing program.  (Vegas - now from Magix -  vs. Magix Movie Edit Pro)  Not too big a leap, but still sometimes have to wonder how Vegas does things.

But still, Lightwave does not have some key features that I mentioned, e.g. NLA clips and seamless animating with Poser content (of which I have  LOT).  Last I checked, animating with Poser content in Lightwave requires Poserfusion, meaning you have to animate in Poser.  Not a terrible thing, but Carra's animation features are much superior to Poser's, although I do use the latter for Poser specific features like ERC models.

Got all that?  There will be a quiz.

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,323
    Steve K said:
    Steve K said:
    Steve K said:

Still... it's refreshing to me to hear that you own LW 2018 and still prefer Carrara. I love that!

Got all that?  There will be a quiz.

Yup. I got it! All of it!

Steve K said:
    Steve K said:
    Steve K said:

(Vegas - now from Magix -  vs. Magix Movie Edit Pro)  Not too big a leap, but still sometimes have to wonder how Vegas does things.

My Vegas is old from when Sony still sold it. But look at the upper interface for the "Show Me How" button.

If it's still there, those are "Smart" tutorials that show you, directly on the interface, how to do things - even if you've moved interface elements around. It even works if you're right in the middle of a project, but I always use it in a blank project, just to be on the safe side ;)

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,323

Yeah... for already not having enough time on my hands, the last thing I want to have to do is to learn a new 3d software

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 8,334

Thanks everyone!!!  I have the Toon Pro, too.. and got tangled up in that, but might try again. Still, UB's solution works for me. It's for a logo design, so need clean lines for lettering on a van, etc. I will vector it when happy with the results.  I won't be using ALL of the railing and might grab a railing from a vector library for the part that might show.

Buny.. that is a fantastic result!

Stezza... I did exactly as you posted. I made a flat white shader (vs the plastic one) and dragged it into my shader library, then put it at the top in the multi slot. Worked great.

Headwax... there were so many areas shaded that removing them was almost impossible. Every little door and door hardware (there's an interior, too) was separately shaded. So I did what Stezza suggested. Can't believe I thought of something an expert did without knowing!!  I am growing my toon work now... and hope to be posting some in the near future. 

Steve... Carrara will NEVER EVER be dead to me.  I will use it till it blows up and then some!

heart to all for the great help and encouragement!  kiss Silene

Thanks Silene, looking forward to your toon work !!

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964

no need to make shaders white.

in scene\filters

add Toon part III

edit it

in the basics do this to the colors:

line => white

the rest of the colors => black

render

invert picture in post

great thanks for that :)

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964
    Steve K said:
    Steve K said:

Everyone thought LightWave to be dead, and they've just released a brand new version that looks very exciting and promising, all while still maintaining their famous affordability... most impressive!

I won a copy of Lightwave 2018 via the Holiday animation contest at Rendo, plus I think they offered me an upgrade price to the new version.  I used Lightwave years ago (V.6?), and even found my old USB key.  It doesn't work in Win10 but you no longer have to use a hardware key.  Still, I'm probaly only going to use it for LW specific content and features, and not often at that.  Carrara just has too many features that I don't see elsewhere - NLA (my clip library has grown substantially), seamless Poser content handling, a great NPR renderer, excellent lights, a full featured Sequencer, etc., etc.  I suspect LW has better modeling features, but not being a modeler, not an attraction for me.  

congrats and well desreved of course

• Steve KSteve K Posts: 3,226
    Steve K said:
    Steve K said:

congrats and well desreved of course

Thanks, Headwax.  Some good prizes in those contests, especially for no entry fee.