a very cool series so fat

being added to daily

Excellent.  yes

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,811

damn this really is stunning

• Steve KSteve K Posts: 3,191

WendyLuvsCatz said:

damn this really is stunning

I dunno, a couple of Gen4 characters, some cool Poser format props in Carrara, a few Particle Illusion FX, I think I could ... not even get close. cheeky

"Stunning" is the right word. yes

I recently got the trial version of the Criterion Channel, they have some great classic movies there.  One I got a kick out of is "Playtime" (1967), might inspire an animation - little if any dialogue, cool use of chrome and glass reflections, furniture with funny morphs, slapstick comedy a la Chaplin/Keaton, etc.  I sometimes have dreams along these lines, ~lost in a big city, wandering around ... surprise

" Jacques Tati's 'Playtime,' like '2001: A Space Odyssey' or 'The Blair Witch Project' or 'Russian Ark', is one of a kind, complete in itself, a species already extinct at the moment of its birth. Even Mr. Hulot, Tati's alter ego, seems to be wandering through it by accident. Instead of plot it has a cascade of incidents, instead of central characters it has a cast of hundreds, instead of being a comedy it is a wondrous act of observation. It occupies no genre and does not create a new one. It is a filmmaker showing us how his mind processes the world around him ... 'Playtime' is a peculiar, mysterious, magical film."  (Roger Ebert, Four Stars Out Of Four)

• Sci Fi FunkSci Fi Funk Posts: 1,197
    edited December 2021

I finally got to watch the latest version of Huxley's Brave New World (2020 TV series).

From an inspiration point of view I loved ...

*** SPOILER ALERT ** (scroll down to see)

... the middle episodes (from 3 to the penultimate one) - where they show a utopian world slowly falling apart bit by bit. It's the gradual decline which picks up pace that appeals to me.

From an artistic point of view, the whole clean utopian look is the very opposite of my own cyberpunk tendancies but one can appreciate the "light side" from time to time.

Worth a watch - Starts poorly and ends badly, but that middle .. :)

Post edited by Sci Fi Funk on
    edited December 2021

Sci Fi Funk said:

I finally got to watch the latest version of Huxley's Brave New World (2020 TV series). ... 

Worth a watch - Starts poorly and ends badly, but that middle .. :)

Sound interesting, 7.1 at IMDB.  But I don't have Peacock, and I'm guessing this is not in the free stuff ... sad

Post edited by Steve K on
  • Sci Fi FunkSci Fi Funk Posts: 1,197

@steve K - no but it was on offer during thier black friday sale. Picked up that series and Pan Am for £5 each!

still awesome and an upscaled version

WendyLuvsCatz said:

still awesome and an upscaled version

Yup, an alltime favorite bunch of videos.  Long ago I and some friends were into MIDI (Musical Instrument Digital Interface), so I contacted the creator (Wayne Lytle, I think) about making his technology available for sale, i.e. the program to drive animation from a MIDI song file.  I'm not sure he responded, but I think so, saying it would be a lot of hassle.  I agreed.  Here is my favorite:

cool Steampunk CGI

WendyLuvsCatz said:

cool Steampunk CGI

Very impressive example of my favorite genre.  Great steampunk sound supporting the drop dead perfect animation: wooden creaking, metal clanking, etc. yes

something to try in Carrara maybe

Wow, animating one vertex at a time!?!   And I though key framing was tedious vs. mocap ... surprise

Wendy - Once again, great stuff ... yes

so this is what Aiko and Hiro aare doing these days wink

first there was Deep Dream, now there is Disco Diffusion

WendyLuvsCatz said:

first there was Deep Dream, now there is Disco Diffusion

Wild stuff.  I had a hangover like that once.  Maybe more than once.  

WendyLuvsCatz said:

I am one of the very few who did NOT care for "Avatar".  Yes, the animation/CGI was stunning ... for a while.  But the story, with its repeated ad nauseum good guys win, bad guys come back ... went on for about an hour or more too long (it's almost three hours long).   Listen to the editors, Cameron!   I lost interest and found myself playing Tetris on a handheld.

WendyLuvsCatz said:

Interesting history.  As someone who used a slide rule in college (and a Wang Calculator and an IBM 1620 computer), I salute all the CGI warriors, John Lasseter, George Lucas, and all the rest.

The Adventures of Prince Achmed, Germany, 1926: "A handsome prince rides a flying horse to faraway lands and embarks on magical adventures, which include befriending a witch, meeting Aladdin, battling demons and falling in love with a princess."  The entire movie is a little over an hour, I watched it on The Criterion Channel.  Pretty amazing given the limited resources available.

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,073

Diomede - Great video about an alltime favorite movie.  I did not realize how much influence it had on Star Trek.  The movie also was part of my inspiration for this 1 minute animation (@~0:15):

edited May 2022

Wonderful holiday message, SteveK.  Forbidden Planet is one of my all time favorites (I have so many).  Shakespeare influence.  I'd like to write a screenplay adaptation of a sci-fi MacBeth.

Post edited by Diomede on

Diomede said:

Wonderful holiday message, SteveK.  Forbidden Planet is one of my all time favorites (I have so many).  Shakespeare influence.  I'd like to write a screenplay adaptation of a sci-fi MacBeth.

Thanks.  Shakespeare, right, "The Tempest", one of my favorite plays and reportedly about the Bard himself at the end of his illustrious career.  Plus one of my favorite lines:

"Be not afeard. The isle is full of noises, Sounds, and sweet airs, that give delight, and hurt not."

Surprisingly the line is spoken by the monster Caliban.  And a tangent, the line is a key plot element of Richard Powers' novel "Galatea 2.2", another favorite of mine.  Lots of favorites here ... 

Folk music can be a good muse.  Some oak tree adoration from Latvia.

interesting 

I know utterly nothing about Latvia aside a swear or two garnished from my late father blush

he passed when I was 10

is always interesting to see stuff yes