Shows That Inspire Animations

Comments

• Steve KSteve K Posts: 3,194

Diomede said:

Folk music can be a good muse.  Some oak tree adoration from Latvia.

Very nice, and an impressive production.  I got interested in percussion ensemble when I audited a year long music theory course at Rice Univ's Shepherd School Of Music.  I go to know some of the members of the Rice percussion ensemble who explained some things to me, like how hard it is to play the triangle.  Here is an example of the kind of music they were into (how the sound got recorded is beyond me):

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,877

HRH is even using 3D animation

WendyLuvsCatz said:

That's great, Wendy!  Althought I did not know the Royal Marine drummers were into Queen (The Band).  "In the short film, the Queen and Paddington tapped their tea cups to the beat of Queen's We Will Rock You as the regally-themed band, with their US singer Adam Lambert, began performing the hit, accompanied by 34 Royal Marine drummers."

now we wait for Stezza to do a Carrara Paddington Bear ..

cheeky

WendyLuvsCatz said:

cheeky

I have to confess, my first thought was "they did a great simulation of the Queen".  I am really not a big fan of British royalty, but this was pretty moving.  Hats off to her.

Steve K said:

WendyLuvsCatz said:

cheeky

I have to confess, my first thought was "they did a great simulation of the Queen".  I am really not a big fan of British royalty, but this was pretty moving.  Hats off to her.

as one of those in favour of Australia becoming a Republic minus the War of Independence me either but they sell magazines  

• WsCGWsCG Posts: 391

Not a show, but a movie, that inspires me, because of its background, is 'Kaena'.

It's a 3D animated movie that started its life as a video game and small tv feature. At some point, its creators decided to make it a feature-length movie instead. They had no experience in the field, nor the budget to purchase the "industry standard" tools common in the industry, so they had to find free options and other solutions. The results (while a bit "choppy" at times) are quite a fun watch. They scored some good voice talent for it, too.

Trailer:

Making of featurette:

that looks pretty cool yes

• WendyLuvsCatz said:

First the Olympics, then this - maybe HM has her eyes on a career change, and Harry and Meghan were really over there on a scouting mission?

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,085

Very cool, wscgw.  So much creativity.  People are amazing.

Happy jubilee from across the pond.  

WsCGW said:

...  They scored some good voice talent for it, too.

Very cool, and yes, impressive voice talent for a low budget production.

Interesting stuff on the making of the Judy Garland version of the Wizard of Oz

Interesting stuff about a favorite movie.  I like the first comment:

"As a child growing up in the 60s and 70s, The Wizard Of Oz appearing on TV each year was always a magical moment, marking the end of the dysfunctional part of the year and the beginning of the holiday season.  ...  From the remaining Halloween candy to the Thanksgiving turkey, and the anticipation of Christmas just ahead, the entire world it seemed became bright, delicious, and Technicolor. There really was no place like home."

• interesting ideas for animated textures 

WendyLuvsCatz said:

interesting ideas for animated textures 

Yes, a good tip. I'll have to try this in Carrara. yes

edited September 2022

Sometimes, the special effects people just shoot someone, 1938 Robin Hood edition.

robin hood.jpg
    620 x 965 - 154K
    Post edited by Diomede on

Diomede said:

Sometimes, the special effects people just shoot someone, 1938 Robin Hood edition.

Gotta hope that "expert archer" doesn't sneeze and miss the padded area.  surprise

First of three videos on integrating chorals in a movie score.

Impressive, proving how much sound can support the video.  I once bought a sound module (Yamaha, I think) just for the choir voices.  And I've alway been a fan of medieval chant, like Hildegard of Bingen (12th century):

Long ago, I had "Withnail and I" on a videocasette, but somehow never got around to watching it.  Now it shows up on the Criterion Channel and makes me glad I've finally seen it.  Hilarious, and pretty much a cult favorite in the U.K. I think.  Sort of like  "The Big Lebowski" with fan meetings, people bragging about having seen it dozens of time, everybody quoting lines, etc.  The review below has many of the great lines, but not my favorite spoken by "I" who is worried about his alcohol intake: "My thumbs have gone weird!":

Withnail and I.jpg
    683 x 338 - 57K
  • DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,233

WsCG said:

Not a show, but a movie, that inspires me, because of its background, is 'Kaena'.

It's a 3D animated movie that started its life as a video game and small tv feature. At some point, its creators decided to make it a feature-length movie instead. They had no experience in the field, nor the budget to purchase the "industry standard" tools common in the industry, so they had to find free options and other solutions. The results (while a bit "choppy" at times) are quite a fun watch. They scored some good voice talent for it, too.

This looks awesome. Gotta get it!

Blade Runner: Black Lotus

a TV series [adult swim] that takes place between the two movies. 

Sparing no expense, they used English-Speaking Japanese Actors to deliver performances of the Voice Actors dialog. The results are great! Some amazing animation in this thing - I had to buy the season, anxiously awaiting Season 2, possibly in 2023?

Crunchy Roll was kind enough to offer the first episode for free on YouTube:

Dave Filoni has done it Again!

Tales of the Jedi is freaking Stunning!

Clone Wars, Rebels, Bad Batch, The Mandalorian, and now Tales of the Jedi... Filoni makes The Best Star Wars Ever!!!

edited November 2022

Inspiration?

I just watched a very dumb movie - and I loved it!  Appealed to my immature sense of humour.  Maid for Murder.  

It is a 60s British comedy that could have been written and directed by the animation team that brought us Mr. Magoo and Wyle E Coyote.  I don't think I will spoil it by giving this much of the basic plot.  Two English brothers who have been sponging off their grandmother are left out of the will, and instead an unkown distant cousin in Corsica is left the family fortune.  The brothers decide that they have three choices.  (1) Get jobs - no way!  (2) Kill the cousin and then inherit.  (3) One of them can marry the cousin (relative is female but they have no idea of age, etc).  The cousin arrives and she is beautiful.  The brothers alternately try to kill her and woo her, but their attempts are so feeble that the cousin seems unaware like Mr. Magoo.  The errant murder attempts are accompanied by faulty equipment worthy of the Acme Manufacturing Company with visual effects worthy of The Roadrunner cartoon.  The movie is live action, not a cartoon.  

I think it should be adapted as a Carrara animation if someone acquires the rights.

Currently free on tubi TV.  https://tubitv.com/movies/491478/maid-for-murder

Post edited by Diomede on

Diomede said:

Inspiration?

I just watched a very dumb movie - and I loved it!  Appealed to my immature sense of humour.  Maid for Murder.  

It is a 60s British comedy ...

Reminds me of the great Ealing Studios of the 50's, like Alec Guiness in "The Man In The White Suit" (1951 - trailer below).  "An altruistic chemist invents a fabric which resists wear and stain as a boon to humanity, but big business and labor realize it must be suppressed for economic reasons."  I first learned of this movie from older employees at DuPont, where I worked as an engineer for a while.  DuPont's biggest hit was the invention of nylon, the first major synthetic fabric.  The DuPont story is not entirely heart warming, as you might guess from a history of the company, "Behind The Nylon Curtain".  But us low level employees found the movie hilarious.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0044876/

So cool!!! I have to watch that one!!!

Funny how you started that post, because I just saw a purposefully Dumb (DUMB!!!) movie and it caught my interest through its entirety. Funny! Dumb! Funny! Oh... very cool action! Dumb! Funny!!!

It's So Good that I'm going to buy it when I can, and watvch for the next one. 

I don't think it's a spoiler to say that there's a weaponsmith who wants so much to be The BEST weaponsmith, that he's always hammering steel - so when ever he talks he Yells Really Freaking Loud! It's hilarious! Heroes are funny, villains are funny and everyone in-between are funny - and it's meant to be (and totally Is) DUMB!!! I love it! 

Although I normally can't stand dumb and funny movies.

Not so much dumb as silly/clever, but "Tucker and Dale Fight Evil" (2010, 7.5 at IMDB) is hilarious IMHO.  In the same vein as "A Cabin In The Woods", another fave.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1465522/

A fun little short made for giving a presentation talk about Motion Capture

In 1982, for the show "Ciné Parade", a number of filmmakers were asked to make ultra-short versions of their favorite film.
    Claude Chabrol chose to shoot a cover of “M le Maudit” (also known as "M", 1931, with Peter Lorre) by Fritz Lang which lasted 10 minutes.  Its in French but the dialogue is not that important.

Educational animation - not done in Carrara, but could have been.  Romans building aquaduct.